Author Topic: TEAM : LONG BEACH MERMEN  (Read 119620 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner -- PBL S6 Premier Cup Winner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
  • S6 Premier Cup Champions
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : LONG BEACH MERMEN
« Reply #2300 on: October 04, 2019, 02:04:51 PM »

As a former QB who has lead a lot of late game drives, I have to say...

...man I hate kickers.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
  • Never wanted the fame, I only wanted to be great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 04, 2019, 02:39:01 PM »
Matthew Johnson is normally money. Absolutely money. He saved us quite a few times in St. Paul, if memory serves me correctly. A drive would stall and he could be relied on to put points on the board. It was just an off day. I plan on talking to him this week just to make sure he knows I still have confidence in him.

I am very pleased with how our offense is moving. I believe we will get better as the season continues. We are already moving the ball better than we were last year and it's only week 2. What does the Seattle defense have that could pose a threat to our offense functioning properly? Any mismatches we need to try to address?
GM Kirk [12|Mar 04:19 PM]: Gooch, how much did you bribe the HIFLPA to help you steal all my players?
GM TJ [12|Mar 04:21 PM]: Lolololololololooooooooooollllllllllll
Disgraced GM Powers [12|Mar 04:24 PM]: The league is #TeamGooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: It's because he's so nice....
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: Unnaturally nice...
GM Adam Wrong [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: I love gooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:26 PM]: Everyone loves Gooch, except Kirk...
GM Phoenix [12|Mar 04:28 PM]: Almost makes you think gooch is reincarnate red skull trying to live a double nice guy life on hifl
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:31 PM]: Gooch's heel turn will rival Hogan....

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 04, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »

They aren't the defense they were last year, at least so far.. 22nd in points, 18th in yards, 16th vs the run 15th vs the pass. I want to take some shots down field while Sam Rose is out, test their corners without the solid over-the-top help and see if they can stop Justyn on the 9 route.

Lai is their best defender in my opinion, he's all over the field, like a poor man's Larry Stevens, but we have to watch out for Arthur Matthews, he can put a hit on T-Law like nobody we've faced yet, so we just have to keep an eye on him.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 06, 2019, 04:43:52 PM »
I feel confident in our tackles that Matthew won't have the game he thinks he is going to.

I don't see any advantage to changing anything on our offense. I liked what I saw this week even though we didn't get the desired result.

Let's talk defense. I'm concerned about stopping the pass this week. Do you think more aggressive play could be advantageous. We aren't swatting balls down. I know I should know this better, but defense is something I still have trouble wrapping my mind around. I'd like to see us disrupting more passes instead of letting the guy get a catch and then tackling him.
GM Kirk [12|Mar 04:19 PM]: Gooch, how much did you bribe the HIFLPA to help you steal all my players?
GM Phoenix [12|Mar 04:28 PM]: Almost makes you think gooch is reincarnate red skull trying to live a double nice guy life on hifl

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 07, 2019, 07:45:44 AM »

That might be the way to get the desired result, but I don't really know. 

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 07, 2019, 01:30:21 PM »
I understand there could be benefits...but I'm apprehensive of the overall effect. My concern is that if we make a wide-spread change to the defense like that, then it could throw off other positions. I want to let you and the staff make modifications as you see fit to help us in that area instead of a sweeping defensive change.

Thank you for all you do, Coach. I'm looking forward to an impressive home opener.
-----------------------------
Ariel, all strategy adaptations, depth chart, and changes are in the coaches hands to prepare for Seattle this week.

lock in

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: October 12, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »

1. What was your biggest takeaway from your team this weekend?

My biggest take away is that we are competing well against playoff established teams...and we are only a few games into the season. I can't wait to see how we play as we continue to gel. I'm pleased with what I see.

I hate losing, don't get me wrong. I want to win. I know this team wants to win...and we will.

2. Discuss the XFL's potential move to Sundays, do you feel they are a legitimate threat to the HIFL?  Why or why not?  Do you feel that the recent news stories surrounding GM Lucas in Atlanta, and other the rest of you GM's and your declining approval rating with the HIFLPA and its players is worrisome, and how do you fix the collective GM's image around the football world?

In some ways, I feel that it is a legitimate threat to the HIFL. Our product is better than there product is...right now. But if we continue to cut talented players and they go to the XFL, their games get betters. When their games get better that means more fans go to see them. When more fans to go to see them, better TV contracts are offered...when better TV contracts are offered, that means more money to the league...with more money to the league, it means they raise their salary cap...they raise their salary cap and...we all know that money talks.

What is it going to take to improve our image? Not making stupid mistakes. It's going to take treating the players better. It's going to take letting the game on the field speak about the HIFL. It's going to take maturity. It's going to take a long look in the mirror. No GM should be bigger than their team. We should embody our team's image. What do we want to be known for? We are the top football league in the world. I feel like I am a balanced GM that loves the HIFL. I hope the next time a GM representative is desired at the table with the league office and HIFLPA that it will be me that is able to nurture that relationship.

Is the XFL a threat? It could be. If that does happen, who will be at fault? It will be the General Managers. If the HIFL falls, it will not be the Commissioner's Office or the Players Association that caused her downfall, it will be squarely on GM's shoulders like mine. I need to do better. I need to be better. I need to be better for my team. I need to be better for my franchise, I need to be better for the league I love. 

3. Where do you rank yourself in the league when it comes to your job as a GM, both in the win/loss department and the player relations department.  What could you do better?

I feel like I do a good job. I'd say top 5. If we are looking at collective body of work as a GM, I feel like I've had a good career so far. I've made the playoffs with two teams and will be making the playoffs with the Mermen soon. I've drafted some great players that are future hall of famers. Have I made mistakes? I absolutely have. What I need to do is be more patient. In St. Paul, I didn't give players enough time to develop. I'm trying to do better about that here in Long Beach.

4. Talk about this weeks match up, and also one other game that catches your eye.

We play Orlando. I feel like we have a great chance because I believe we have superior athletes. I feel our players are hungrier. Our defense is eating other quarterbacks. In 3 games we've had 17 sacks, and it's only week 3. I think we are just getting started there. Our offense is starting to function well. Our defense is starting to get cohesiveness. I think these aren't your Mama's Long Beach Mermen...I believe we are starting to show signs of what I've been saying is coming. I believe it will be sooner than later that Strong Beach will be a team that no one wants to see on their schedule.

By way of other games, I'm interested to see Tucson and Alabama. Two powerful offenses firing off. Who's defense is going to step up and stop the other? It's going to be exciting football to watch.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: October 15, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »

Passionate moment there talking about the XFL.  Sounds like you want to make a change to how the league treats players.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: October 16, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »
I really do. I'm going to implement a new program here in Long Beach now. I'm wanting to call it the Strong Future Initiative. It is a two part program. Basically what I want to do is bring in a financial planning expert to work with these guys on being smart with their money. The other part is more geared toward what they want to do after football. If a guy wants to be a coach, we put him in a position to grow there. If a guy wants to be a sports agent, we would get the proper education there. Most of this would be online during the season, but we would provide workshops in the off season that they can partake in if they want to prepare themselves for later. I don't want any of our players to end up on specials about players being bankrupt after football careers either do to frivolous spending or bad investments, or that they weren't prepared for life after football.
I believe the SFI would be able to help with that.

Do you think this is a benefit to our players?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: October 17, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »

Sure, I'm sure some guys would benefit, but lets get back to business.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: October 17, 2019, 11:13:08 PM »
I agree.

Holt is going to be a threat. I believe if he covers Bacon that Ross could have a big game this week. Is there any way we could have Ross run some routes that may not be on film yet? I would like to keep them guessing...hopefully a step behind.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: October 18, 2019, 12:06:29 AM »

I mean, there are only so many routes one can run, but I'll see what we can do

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: October 18, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
GOOCH PONDERS WHAT HE JUST SAID AND CLARIFIES

Yeah, I know there are no such thing as new routes. I asked that the wrong way.

I'm looking back over our lock-in sheet. I have Justyn Ross on the left and Theron Bacon on the on the right with Ross as our primary receiver with McKenzie in the slot. Do you think it would be advantageous to move Ross to the slot and McKenzie to the outside and keep Ross as the primary? I know Ross is very athletic, but I want to know how you feel about his ability and what is expected at the slot as compared to the outside. 

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: October 20, 2019, 12:31:51 AM »

No. We shouldn't change anything.

FROM PEANUT BUTTER TO NEW ROUTES, COACH BRIGHAM GROWS WEARY OF YOUR NON-SENSE

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: October 20, 2019, 09:02:54 AM »
Coach...I am sorry I have been out of sorts the past few weeks. I love this team and I want to win. I will strive to think through everything I say. I have some ideas, but based off of the past few weeks, I am going to gather my thoughts as clearly as I can before I present them to you.

I appreciate all you are doing for our team. I believe our future is bright. I'll try to do my part as a better communicator.
--------
All game day decisions are at the coach's discretion.

Lock in

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: October 27, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »

That we have resolve. To start the game off with an electric return, to three sacks in a row and a safety. It's great to have 9 points on the board before the offense even takes a snap. I'm seeing tenacity on both sides of the ball and I'm seeing players doing their best. This was a great week and I'm looking forward to seeing this team grow together.

2. How do you feel about your teams performance at the quarter-season mark.  What has been your biggest strength, weakness, and where do you hope to see the most improvement?
We are sitting at 1 game shy of our total wins from last year. I'm feeling good. We have some growing pains, but we are getting there. I believe our greatest strength is our defensive pressure. We are getting multiple sacks a week, like this week. By way of improvement, I'd like to see us slow the run down more, swat more balls down, and I'd like to see our offense continue to gel.

3. Which players around the league are really catching your eye this season both for the good and the bad?

I'm very pleased with some of our Mermen stepping up. Tarr, T-Law, Haas, Bacon, Harlow, Smith. I'm proud of all of our Mermen. We are playing good team football.

Looking at the rest of the league: Kitchens to Ramos is electric. If McNasty does what many of us think he will, that offense in St. Paul is going to be scary. Caleb Smoak is a good and a bad. He was playing great football and a bad injury has messed that up. 

4. Talk about this weeks match up and what you expect to do best against your opponent.

This week we travel to Portland. I believe that we are going to have to do best is stop the run. Estates is a great running back and if we slow him down we slow down a lot of their production. I believe that our offense is going to continue to gel together and we are going to get a good victory on the road.

5. What do you make of the news in Charlotte and the return of GM Kirk?

Kirk is a very involved GM. I think he is going to take Charlotte to new heights. The East better keep an eye on him as he isn't one to take lightly.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: October 28, 2019, 05:57:07 PM »

Alright, Portland.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: October 29, 2019, 11:49:03 AM »
Big win this week, Coach. Always good to have points on the board before our offense has a snap.

I've made some quick adjustments this week for our game against Portland.

Let's talk offense:

- King is out, let's put Mayfield in his spot. We both believe Mayfield has a future and this is a perfect time to see how he has improved since last season. 

- I want to pass more on 1st and 10. I don't know what your ratio is, but I'd like to see more 50/50 or 60/40 (if it is already 50/50). T-Law is accurate at 60% of his throws, Haas is averaging over 5 YPC. I think this keeps a defense honest and we can get good yards either way. I think letting T-Law sling it more to start on 1st is good. We've only thrown 96 times on the year and he's completed 60.4%. Let's give him a chance to see what he can do. 

- On 2nd and short and on 3rd and short, 60% of the time, I'd like to move Bacon to the slot, and Ray Lee Lo to the outside and keep Ross where he is. I want to get Ray Lee Lo more playing time. He has great hands and I'd like to put them to use in situations that we could use good hands. Also, I'd like to see what Bacon does in the slot.

Onto the defensive side: 

- I think going conservative this week on defense is best. Hightower has been lighting people up deep and Estates has been known to run like crazy if given the chance. I want to keep everyone in position more. This week I'd like to back the blitzing off to around 40% let our monsters up front do their thing.

- I want to run what we are calling the Hollywood package (because I want Quarterbacks to see stars). At the safeties I want Pickens (SS), Kaufman (FS), I want Pugh (CB1), Dorman (CB2), and Roderick (CB3) as my corners. Smith and Parker stay at LB, and I want my line to be Grif Fjoluson and Horour Bjarnason on the ends, with Harlow and Tarr as our defensive tackles. I want to run this package on 2nd and long and 3rd and long and I want to run it 50% of the time in those situations. I'd like to see offenses have to adjust to that.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: October 29, 2019, 12:11:58 PM »
And just for clarification's sake due to the Alabama/Atlanta fiasco. When I say I want the Quarterback to see stars, that was just a clever play on the Hollywood deal we have going. I do not want to target an opposing player. I would like for our defensive line to sack the quarterback early and often all in the confines of good, clean, tough football.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: November 03, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »

We'll make those adjustments.

COACH ROLLS HIS EYES AT YOUR CLARIFICATION, FEELING LIKE YOU'VE INSULTING HIS INTELLIGENCE

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: November 03, 2019, 02:30:34 PM »
I'll keep this meeting short, coach. I know we have a lot to get prepared for. Thank you for all your efforts for our team. I'm glad to have you here.
--------------------
Elsa, please call in Victor Kaufman.
--------------------
Victor, thank you for coming in. I just wanted to touch base with you. This is the last year of your deal, outside of money, what would variables would influence your decision as to where you play next?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: November 03, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

Playing time is the most important thing to me my man.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: November 03, 2019, 05:30:49 PM »
I can get with that. We are putting in a new package this week that will get you on the field more. I'm excited to see what you do.
-------------------
Ariel, we are ready to lock in with the following adjustments:

- If King is out, let's put Mayfield in his spot.

- On 1st and 10. See more 50/50 or 60/40 (if Coach already has it at 50/50).

On 2nd and short and on 3rd and short, 60% of the time, Move Bacon to the slot, and Ray Lee Lo to the outside and keep Ross where he is.

- Scale back blitzing to 40%

- Implement Hollywood package (out of the Nickel)
  - Pickens (SS)
  - Kaufman (FS)
  - Pugh (CB1)
  - Dorman (CB2)
  - Roderick (CB3)
  - Smith and Parker stay at LB
  - Grif Fjoluson and Horour Bjarnason on the ends,
  - Harlow and Tarr as our defensive tackles.

Package to be implemented on 2nd and long and 3rd and long, 50% of the time in those situations.

LOCK IN

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: November 10, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »

My biggest takeaway is that the culture is changing here in Long Beach. We are playing tough football and we will play hard until the end. We defeated a Portland team that some believe are a playoff team. This was a big win for that reason and for the reason that we've matched our wins from last year. This is a special team and I'm excited to see what we can do.

2. What do you make of the news of the league's expansion?

I am a fan of it for multiple reasons. I'm a fan of it because now, in multiple places around the world, HIFL fans have the opportunity to support a team and not just watch on TV. I am a fan because this gives more players a chance to hone their craft. More teams means more roster spots. This aspect may make my job harder, but I like seeing that many more young men will be given the opportunity to follow their dreams. I am also a fan of this because it shows the health and strength of the HIFL. We are growing, expanding, and vibrant. This will be remembered as a great day in the league.

3. Talk about this weeks opponent, and what you expect from your team?

This week we play host to Las Vegas. They are a well coached team with a diligent GM in GM Metro. I expect our team to play to the best of our ability and to play as a team. What I would like to see from my team is stopping the pass. Jose Pruitt is a first ballot hall of famer and his legendary career isn't myth, it's real. If we are going to win this game, our offense needs to continue to function and we are going to have to stop the pass.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: November 10, 2019, 09:50:30 PM »

Big offensive performance, nice to see it click.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:35:19 PM by Talon »

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: November 11, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »
Absolutely. I don't know if I've ever had a QB that's thrown for 380 yards. It was great seeing Bacon go into the end zone twice and for Lopez and Cyrus to have huge games catching.

I'm also really pleased to see how many TFLs we had. 10 of them. That's big time.

Grif had a big day for us with 4 tackles and a TFL. Did all of those come from the Hollywood package or from LB rotation or both?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: November 11, 2019, 07:49:05 PM »

Its hard to say, a lot of the games becomes a blur after its over.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: November 11, 2019, 09:07:48 PM »
That's true.

I am concerned about Pruitt throwing it wherever he wants against us. Fowler and Mackey are really clicking with him. Do you think Pugh matches up well against Fowler?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: November 11, 2019, 09:09:19 PM »

I wouldn't say "well." ...but hopefully adequately.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: November 11, 2019, 09:10:19 PM »
Do you think Damon would pair up with him better? I like Lucky's speed, but fear he isn't ready for a guy like Fowler.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: November 11, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »

No, Dorman is a worse match up really.  We don't have anyone who matches up really well against Fowler. He's a weapon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:35:40 PM by Talon »

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: November 11, 2019, 09:15:34 PM »
I was afraid of that.

I don't want to make any changes this week, it felt like things started clicking.

Thanks for your time, Coach. Looking forward to another win.
--------
Ariel, please call in T-Law.
--------
Wonderful game this week! How are you liking playing at the highest level in football?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: November 12, 2019, 05:27:20 PM »

It's a dream come true man, you know you work your whole life with two-a-days, and all the sacrifices to get to this point.. I'm just trying to do my best on the field every time out..

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: November 12, 2019, 05:44:11 PM »
I am really impressed. You are playing great. Just wanted to call you in and tell you I'm proud of you and glad to have you as our QB. Let's pick up that win this week!
--------
Ariel, with that, we are ready to LOCK IN

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: November 18, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »

GM GOOCH ENTERS INTO THE SHOWCASE PRESS CONFERENCE ROOM AND SMILES. HE IS VERY EXCITED TO BE HERE.

I am very excited to be here.

GM GOOCH WONDERS IF THAT NEEDED TO BE SAID, BUT HE CONTINUES ON

This is a very exciting time in the HIFL. New franchises. New GMs. New cities. New fans. It's an exciting time here in the HIFL. I'm ready for some questions...

1. Talk about last weeks game.

We played hard against an extremely talented Las Vegas team. I am proud of our offense for continually getting in to Matthew Johnson's FG range. Las Vegas has an extremely stingy defense and for us to be able to move the ball was impressive. I'm also impressed with our defense. We slowed down that potent offense with so many weapons. I am proud of the resolve this team is developing. A never give up attitude. I love it. I am very proud of this team.

2. What are your thoughts on this years draft class as you head into the showcase to see many of them for the first time?

Excitement is in the air. I believe we have the best young football prospects in the world coming to show off their hard work. They have worked for years for days like today. I'm excited to see what they are able to achieve.

3. What are you hoping to gain from this weeks Showcase?

I want to be able to find pieces that fit the Long Beach Mermen team. I want to find players that have a strong work ethic and a desire to be the best. I want players who are ready to do their best for their team and to play as a team. I'm wanting to find great athletes who love this great game and who want to be a part of something special. I want to find that hungry guy who may not be a top prospect now, but is ready to have a team take a chance on him and for him to become a superstar. I believe a Disney move years ago called it a "Diamond in the Rough." I want to try to discern who has that motor to be coachable and continue to work hard after they get a contract. It is expected of 1st and 2nd round picks to be ready to get in the mix, I'm wanting to see that hungry player that believes in himself that just needs a team to take a chance on him to prove the world wrong and to prove himself right. I'll be looking for fire in eyes this week.

4. What did you schedule for your players during the bye week? Training or a week off?

We will continue to train. We have to continue to work hard. We are a relatively healthy team and I feel the work is going to continue to allow us to gel as a team. We are seeing really good football from Long Beach, and I believe with the great athletes we have, that our play is only going to get better as our team works together.

5. Talk about anything else on your mind in reference to the league/sport as a whole.

I just want to thank the HIFL for putting this showcase on. We all have a good time together. It reminds us of the many things there are to love about this sport. The whistle to whistle is paramount, but it's great to watch people dedicated to their craft. It's like a breath of fresh air. The HIFL spends money to put this on and I want to let the league office know that I am grateful to have this avenue to look at players.

Seeing new faces around these parts is

6. Discuss some of the hiring and firing around the league over the last two weeks, what surprised you most, and what did you see coming?

I am very happy to see GM Kirk back. In public we traded barbs, remember the doggy door and "St. Paul Dragons" comments, but behind the scenes we are friends. Many of the barbs you find GMs firing off are good natured. GM Kirk is a dedicated GM and the Crowns are lucky to have him. He makes whatever division he is in better. He is excited to be back wearing the teal and purple of Charlotte.

I am surprised to see Gates leaving, but not extremely surprised. He has proven that he can build a franchise from the ground up.

I am not surprised that GM Lucas is out of a job. I believe his ownership has been very patient but sometimes you need to learn lessons the hard way. He is a talented, invested GM that I believe will learn and in his next job will do a respectable job.

I am somewhat surprised that GM T-Bone got his walking papers from Kansas City.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: November 24, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »

A huge win against Vegas, that was a quality win that is going to help us in that playoff race.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: November 25, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
GOOCH REFRAINS FROM LETTING A SMILE BROADEN ACROSS HIS FACE. HEARING COACH BRIGHAM TALK ABOUT THEM BEING IN THE PLAYOFF RACE IS MUSIC TO HIS EARS...BACK TO BUSINESS.

It's been a great few weeks for our franchise, for sure. Big wins, especially last week. A great showcase. This week we face off against Winnipeg. Winnipeg is very good at a few odd things, but I don't believe those things should cause us to change up anything with our schemes and playbook. I like where we are going as a team.

Should we put something together in case Trevor isn't able to play this week? I see he's probable, but should we put in a contingency plan for our offense just in case we need to give Lynn the nod?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: November 25, 2019, 12:12:37 PM »

Your call boss.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: November 25, 2019, 12:31:05 PM »
Let's keep it as is. No need for a contingency plan. If T-Law can't play and Lynn struggles we can take a look at it.

Thanks for your time, Coach. Let's pick up another win!
---------------
Ariel, will you please call in Ricky Tarr, Jr.
---------------
Ricky, excellent play this season and this week. I'm proud of your efforts and feel you were well deserved to get the DPOTW last week. The college game and the pro game are very different and you are transitioning extremely well. How are you enjoying the pro game?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: November 25, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »

I'm just doing my thing, hitting the gaps hard, and punishing anyone with the football.. Life's good man.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: November 25, 2019, 02:03:19 PM »
Life is good. The weather is great. The wins are coming. The future is bright for our franchise.

Thank you for your hard work!

---------------
Ariel, we are ready to lock in.

All changes are at the coach's discretion.

LOCK IN

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: December 04, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
1. Talk about last weeks game. (typical what went right / wrong depending on a win or loss)

We played a tough game against an impressive opponent. Winnipeg made some gutsy moves this past offseason that raised some eyebrows around the league, but to GM Cory's credit, they worked for him and worked for him in a big way. My hat is tipped to Winnipeg for a strong game. Big props to Matthew Johnson on that 64 yard FG.

I am absolutely proud of this team. We have some consistency issues, but those are going to clear up in due time. I loved the double digit sacks. We are giving up a lot of passing yards a game, but not a lot of points. I'll take that. If we are able to shore up our inconsistencies, I believe this will be a team that will be feared.

2. Talk about the news this week, and ALSO talk about the expansion GM's getting to begin their interview process now.

Tucson's PD City this week brought back nightmares from playing the Baron's a few years ago and I'm sure it brought back some memories of my ball hawks years ago tearing up defenses. When a defense clicks, it clicks. Tucson was clicking in a big way. They may be at the bottom of our division, but that's only because of how strong our division is. Tucson is going to continue to surprise people.

I am happy to hear from the owner of Alabama that GM Pancho's job is safe. So often all we hear about is how players need to be taken care of and to not give up on them because of a bad season, but behind closed doors, some owners put immense pressure on their GMs and can be fired after not even half of a season because of poor play. It is great to see an owner stand up to the world and say he is committed to his GM. Good for Mr. Woods, GM Pancho, and the fans of Alabama. That's a good example from a storied franchise and respected owner.

I'd be remiss to not mention Shaun Day's Day in Michigan. I knew he would excel sitting behind a future hall of famer, and that is what I told GM Powers when we began our talks. Shaun Day is going to be a winner, but I didn't have him in a position to succeed. He needed to sit behind a Gio Hill type player and, if what we are seeing is any indication, that was a right assessment. I saw Trevor Lawrence at the combine and I knew that he was the QB of the future here in Long Beach. I have not regretted my decision to trade Shaun to Michigan for a single second. I put him in a position to succeed and drafted a player that was better suited for our franchise in T-Law. I admire Shaun Day as a person and I'm happy for his success this week.

3. Talk about this weeks game and what needs to happen for you to come away with a win.

Right now we sit in second place in our division. If you look at the standings, right now the West Pacific division is the toughest in the HIFL. We are tied for second but we have 4 teams that are tied in that spot. We play the team that sits atop our division. They have a one game lead on the pack and I'd like for us to pick up this win. It would be a big boost to be tied for first in the toughest division in football.

Seattle is a strong team with one of the best HIFL GMs to ever sit at a desk. He is going to be looking at our body of work just like we are going to be looking at Seattle's. For us to win this game we are going to have to be consistent. We are going to have to slow their pass game down. Our offense is going to have to click. We cannot have another 4/14 on 3rd down and expect to win.

The absolute key to victory for us this week is consistent play across the board. The team that plays the hardest and makes the fewest mistakes wins the ball game.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: December 04, 2019, 09:36:06 PM »

We came a couple of feet away from walking that game off... Ross was kicking himself after the game but I tried to tell him there wasn't much more he could have done.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: December 04, 2019, 09:40:47 PM »
He played valiantly and we win and lose as a team. I'll talk to him before we lock in. I am proud of his heart and it makes me happy that he competitive.

I believe we play that game 10 times, we win 9 of them. But that's football. We gotta keep looking ahead.

It looks like the interior of their defensive line is injured. I would like for us to shift our focus to power running this week. Let's see what their backups are made of when Haas and Gould are driving it hard.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: December 04, 2019, 10:55:09 PM »

I'll make the adjustment in practice.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: December 04, 2019, 11:05:19 PM »
Looking at guard our starter and backup both could be out this week. Who do you think we should slide into that position in case Mayfield is out for sure?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: December 04, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »

Willie Castle for sure.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: December 04, 2019, 11:14:39 PM »
I'll put that in our lock in.

Outside of their injured defensive tackles, what weaknesses do you see in Seattle's game? How do our strengths match up?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: December 04, 2019, 11:21:30 PM »

They're one of the top 3 teams in the league arguably, so I don't see many holes.  Anything in specific you were looking for?

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: December 05, 2019, 12:07:43 AM »
I thought the same thing. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Seattle is really good, but then again, outside of stopping the pass, we are good too. We didn't win our games by accident. I believe we are getting better and our best ball hasn't been played yet. Thanks for all you do, Coach.
-------
Ariel, please get me in touch with Justyn Ross.
-------
Hey Justyn. Admirable play out there last week. You showed a lot of heart. I'm very proud of your effort.