Author Topic: TEAM : LONG BEACH MERMEN  (Read 113840 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
  • Bringing the Thunder since 2014
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : LONG BEACH MERMEN
« Reply #2300 on: October 04, 2019, 02:04:51 PM »

As a former QB who has lead a lot of late game drives, I have to say...

...man I hate kickers.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 90
  • Never wanted the fame, I only wanted to be great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 04, 2019, 02:39:01 PM »
Matthew Johnson is normally money. Absolutely money. He saved us quite a few times in St. Paul, if memory serves me correctly. A drive would stall and he could be relied on to put points on the board. It was just an off day. I plan on talking to him this week just to make sure he knows I still have confidence in him.

I am very pleased with how our offense is moving. I believe we will get better as the season continues. We are already moving the ball better than we were last year and it's only week 2. What does the Seattle defense have that could pose a threat to our offense functioning properly? Any mismatches we need to try to address?
GM Kirk [12|Mar 04:19 PM]: Gooch, how much did you bribe the HIFLPA to help you steal all my players?
GM TJ [12|Mar 04:21 PM]: Lolololololololooooooooooollllllllllll
Disgraced GM Powers [12|Mar 04:24 PM]: The league is #TeamGooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: It's because he's so nice....
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: Unnaturally nice...
GM Adam Wrong [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: I love gooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:26 PM]: Everyone loves Gooch, except Kirk...
GM Phoenix [12|Mar 04:28 PM]: Almost makes you think gooch is reincarnate red skull trying to live a double nice guy life on hifl
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:31 PM]: Gooch's heel turn will rival Hogan....

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 04, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »

They aren't the defense they were last year, at least so far.. 22nd in points, 18th in yards, 16th vs the run 15th vs the pass. I want to take some shots down field while Sam Rose is out, test their corners without the solid over-the-top help and see if they can stop Justyn on the 9 route.

Lai is their best defender in my opinion, he's all over the field, like a poor man's Larry Stevens, but we have to watch out for Arthur Matthews, he can put a hit on T-Law like nobody we've faced yet, so we just have to keep an eye on him.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 06, 2019, 04:43:52 PM »
I feel confident in our tackles that Matthew won't have the game he thinks he is going to.

I don't see any advantage to changing anything on our offense. I liked what I saw this week even though we didn't get the desired result.

Let's talk defense. I'm concerned about stopping the pass this week. Do you think more aggressive play could be advantageous. We aren't swatting balls down. I know I should know this better, but defense is something I still have trouble wrapping my mind around. I'd like to see us disrupting more passes instead of letting the guy get a catch and then tackling him.
GM Kirk [12|Mar 04:19 PM]: Gooch, how much did you bribe the HIFLPA to help you steal all my players?
GM Phoenix [12|Mar 04:28 PM]: Almost makes you think gooch is reincarnate red skull trying to live a double nice guy life on hifl

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 07, 2019, 07:45:44 AM »

That might be the way to get the desired result, but I don't really know. 

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 07, 2019, 01:30:21 PM »
I understand there could be benefits...but I'm apprehensive of the overall effect. My concern is that if we make a wide-spread change to the defense like that, then it could throw off other positions. I want to let you and the staff make modifications as you see fit to help us in that area instead of a sweeping defensive change.

Thank you for all you do, Coach. I'm looking forward to an impressive home opener.
-----------------------------
Ariel, all strategy adaptations, depth chart, and changes are in the coaches hands to prepare for Seattle this week.

lock in

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: October 12, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »

1. What was your biggest takeaway from your team this weekend?

My biggest take away is that we are competing well against playoff established teams...and we are only a few games into the season. I can't wait to see how we play as we continue to gel. I'm pleased with what I see.

I hate losing, don't get me wrong. I want to win. I know this team wants to win...and we will.

2. Discuss the XFL's potential move to Sundays, do you feel they are a legitimate threat to the HIFL?  Why or why not?  Do you feel that the recent news stories surrounding GM Lucas in Atlanta, and other the rest of you GM's and your declining approval rating with the HIFLPA and its players is worrisome, and how do you fix the collective GM's image around the football world?

In some ways, I feel that it is a legitimate threat to the HIFL. Our product is better than there product is...right now. But if we continue to cut talented players and they go to the XFL, their games get betters. When their games get better that means more fans go to see them. When more fans to go to see them, better TV contracts are offered...when better TV contracts are offered, that means more money to the league...with more money to the league, it means they raise their salary cap...they raise their salary cap and...we all know that money talks.

What is it going to take to improve our image? Not making stupid mistakes. It's going to take treating the players better. It's going to take letting the game on the field speak about the HIFL. It's going to take maturity. It's going to take a long look in the mirror. No GM should be bigger than their team. We should embody our team's image. What do we want to be known for? We are the top football league in the world. I feel like I am a balanced GM that loves the HIFL. I hope the next time a GM representative is desired at the table with the league office and HIFLPA that it will be me that is able to nurture that relationship.

Is the XFL a threat? It could be. If that does happen, who will be at fault? It will be the General Managers. If the HIFL falls, it will not be the Commissioner's Office or the Players Association that caused her downfall, it will be squarely on GM's shoulders like mine. I need to do better. I need to be better. I need to be better for my team. I need to be better for my franchise, I need to be better for the league I love. 

3. Where do you rank yourself in the league when it comes to your job as a GM, both in the win/loss department and the player relations department.  What could you do better?

I feel like I do a good job. I'd say top 5. If we are looking at collective body of work as a GM, I feel like I've had a good career so far. I've made the playoffs with two teams and will be making the playoffs with the Mermen soon. I've drafted some great players that are future hall of famers. Have I made mistakes? I absolutely have. What I need to do is be more patient. In St. Paul, I didn't give players enough time to develop. I'm trying to do better about that here in Long Beach.

4. Talk about this weeks match up, and also one other game that catches your eye.

We play Orlando. I feel like we have a great chance because I believe we have superior athletes. I feel our players are hungrier. Our defense is eating other quarterbacks. In 3 games we've had 17 sacks, and it's only week 3. I think we are just getting started there. Our offense is starting to function well. Our defense is starting to get cohesiveness. I think these aren't your Mama's Long Beach Mermen...I believe we are starting to show signs of what I've been saying is coming. I believe it will be sooner than later that Strong Beach will be a team that no one wants to see on their schedule.

By way of other games, I'm interested to see Tucson and Alabama. Two powerful offenses firing off. Who's defense is going to step up and stop the other? It's going to be exciting football to watch.