Author Topic: TEAM : DC COBRAS  (Read 81593 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : DC COBRAS
« Reply #1800 on: March 22, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »

Yeah, I can make sure we add some to the play calling sheet.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: March 22, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
Excellent. Our run game is going to be drawing in a lot of defences so it'll open up gaps deep to exploit. Particularly this week against Michigan. We need to target those corners when we get the opportunities. Otherwise I think we're well set.
I trust you to handle the sports centre nonsense. Thanks Coach.

Rotation: Mostly starters
Run:pass ratio: 65:35
Tempo: Normal
Strategy changes: Add deep play action passes to the playbook as discussed.

Lock in

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: March 24, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
1. Talk us through this weeks game. What went wrong?  What went right?

This week was a very good result for us. Any win over a division rival is a great thing but to do so away from home is even more important. If we want to achieve our goals this season we'll need to win a few games away in the division so to get one of those victories this early in the season is a big boost for us. There was a lot to like about this performance. We were dominant in every phase of the game. We moved the ball well, restricted Michigan to only 8 1st downs all game, kept their rushing to less than 100 yards and kept Hill below 50% completion. In the end we just didn't convert that dominance into points and we allowed too many big plays against us. We also didn't look after the ball as well as we have been doing and gave away too many penalties. In the end the difference between us and Michigan was the ever reliable Sasser. I've been on the wrong end of his boot previously so it's good to see him do it for one of my teams for once. We should have won this game comfortably but it's a great confidence boost to all of us to know that as long as we keep the game close we'll always have that chance to snatch victory at the death. One of these weeks we'll turn our dominance into points and the rest of the league will know what we're capable of. I'll take scrappy wins for now though.

2. How do you feel about the emergence of the Alliance of American Football and the XFL?

The AFL was a good place to find talent and coaches previously so hopefully that will be true of these new rivals. I'll be interested to see just how competitive their league is and perhaps look at our options then.

3. Talk about something going on around the league this season that has interested you in one way or another.

What's interested me is seeing the way the fancied teams have been struggling while some of the expected strugglers have been performing above themselves. To see the previous Impact Bowl teams losing 2 out of their first 3 games just goes to show that things are not predetermined in this league. That should give a lot of teams hope and should lead to an exciting season.

4. Talk to us about your upcoming game this week.  What will be the key to victory?

This week we face one of those teams I was talking about. The pundits were tipping St Paul to be one of the Impact Bowl contenders this year but they've been under-performing so far. After 2 disappointing losses they'll be desperate to get their season back on track so this is going to be a very dangerous time to take them on. St Paul are a team that has historically started slowly and gone on to finish strongly and I expect the same from them this season. GM Gooch is very good at spotting the issues and solving them... I just hope he takes a little longer this time. The keys to victory this week will be to establish our run early and to control the tempo of the game. Car has had a tough couple of games and his confidence will be low at the moment. We need to get pressure on him so he makes some bad throws and we can't allow him to get into a rhythm.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: March 25, 2018, 09:47:24 AM »

Solid victory, gotta love the Clutchness of Sasser.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: March 25, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »
He's a machine, I'm sure of it. We shouldn't have needed him to win it for us, though. We were so much better than Michigan in almost every way so why did we not win this one more comfortably? I'll ask about the offence later but defensively... some great stuff out there but yet again we allowed too many deep plays. We're not getting the penetration on the line that we need, I get that, but we still shouldn't be caught out by the deep pass like this. How do we tighten up the coverage?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: March 25, 2018, 07:56:09 PM »

I've made a couple of tweaks to try to put us in more man coverage, so Glass can try and lock down the receiver on his side, and let Jeffries work on the other, but that is just a shift in focus, not a guaranteed fix.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: March 26, 2018, 03:42:33 AM »
That's something I was going to ask about so it's good to see you're that step ahead of me. Love the proactive approach, Coach. I know there are going to be some growing pains as our rookies get used to the league so I'm not overly concerned yet. We just need to keep ahead of it in order to keep this promising start going. I'm considering giving the rookie safeties and the Peacocks some extra film time for a few weeks, unless you object. Other than that I see no reason to change anything else. Our defence works really well except for these occasional big plays so I'm sure we'll only improve with time.
Could to ask Coach Thompson to come see me when you get back to practice please? Thanks Coach.
--------

Coach, that was a good win. I'm very pleased with getting one over on Michigan in their place. It was a pretty dominant performance too. Just a shame that wasn't reflected on the scoreboard. We seem to do a great job of moving the ball, then get bogged down in the red zone. Do you have any thoughts as to why that is?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: March 26, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »

Extra film study won't bother me, that's fine.

If I knew why, I'd definitely have fixed it. 
This week though, incomplete passes made for tough running distances, and the last FG of the 4th quarter was because we were out of time, just 15 seconds and no time outs left, no need to risk it and lose.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: March 26, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »
Would changing our passing focus from over the middle to balanced have much impact? I generally like playing the way we are but as space closes up in the red zone we might benefit from stretching the field with some additional out routes.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: March 26, 2018, 01:10:52 PM »
I agree with your approach by the way. The FG was definitely the right decision. Overall it was a great game and if we keep playing like that we'll be in the playoff hunt.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: March 26, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »

That could help, but hard to say for sure without doing it and letting it ride a few weeks.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: March 26, 2018, 04:26:05 PM »
Let's do exactly that then. i don't want to change too much because things are working well but hopefully this slight tweak will create some space to get those elusive TDs. Thanks for the input Coach.
--------

Lolly, could you call Sasser up to see me please?
--------

Omer, just wanted a quick word to thank you for getting us out of that game with a W last week. I know all of the lads appreciate your sure foot. I used to hate coming up against you when I was with Cleveland. Keep up the excellent work.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: March 26, 2018, 09:13:37 PM »

Will do boss, appreciate the kind words.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: March 27, 2018, 03:52:10 AM »
I'll let you get back to it. Could you take this to the coaches on your way back to practice please?

Rotation: Mostly starters
Strategy changes: Change passing focus to balanced. Other changes in focus as discussed with Coach Farmer.

In-season Training Schedule
-0 hours position training
-0 hours athletic training
-0 hours physical training
-2 hours film study

Players
Moya
Bostic
Peacock
Peacock

Lock in

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: April 04, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
S10 WEEK 4

This was a very even game against a very good St Paul team. Don't let their current position fool you, they are better than their results so far. Of course when you have these very even games it takes a special player to do something special to make the difference. We had a lot of good performances this week but once again it was Sasser who made the decisive play. 56yards with less than a minute on the clock is a pressure situation but he seems to thrive on those. What went right was us moving the ball well on the ground and Rizzo making his throws when we needed him to. We also avoided the big plays we've been giving up, which was encouraging. What went wrong is the same thing I've been talking about all season, not converting the yards into TDs. I'm confident that we'll solve that before long though.

2. Which of your division rivals has surprised you the most so far this season?

New Jersey have surprised me. They put big beatings on Michigan and Milwaukee when the pundits were expecting them to struggle again this year. We definitely won't be taking them lightly.

3. With where you sit in the standings, do you feel it is a true reflection of your team? Where do you feel you should stand, and who on your team is most responsible for your current standing?

We're probably slightly ahead of where I expected us to be at this stage of the season but I think we absolutely deserve to be there. We've been competitive in every match so far and that puts us in a strong position. If I had to pick 1 player I'd have to say Sasser is the reason we sit in 2nd. He's won 2 of our 3 victories with his boot. I don't think his teammates will disagree either.

4. What has been the biggest challenge for your team so far this season, and who would you say was your teams' most improved?

The biggest challenge so far has been self inflicted really. When I came in I made sweeping changes to the coaching staff and the system on both sides of the ball. That's a lot for players to adapt to but they've put in the effort and shown that they're capable. I expect performances to continue to improve as the lads get more comfortable with everything. As for most improved, I've only been here for quarter of a season. Ask me again at halfway.

5. Talk to us about your upcoming game this week.  What will be the toughest thing to prepare for this week?

I love a good rivalry and I know the fans do too. There aren't many as big as DC and New Jersey in this league. We've had a good record on this one so I want to make sure I continue that for the fans. Apparently this is a grudge match for GM Kirk. Every week seems to be one for him. We're going to have to prepare to restrict the deep threats the Dragons have if we want to win this one. If we slip up even once they're capable of punishing you. If we can disrupt their deep passing then I think we have a good chance of sending our fans to work happy on Monday morning.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: April 10, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

#1 in total offensive yards, #3 in rushing per game, and #5 against the run..  If we can tighten up against the big pass plays we're going to fast-track our way to the top. 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: April 11, 2018, 03:34:31 AM »
We're playing well and are slightly ahead of my expectations. That just means I need to shift our targets to match. We have all of the pieces here to build a great team and we just need time really. I'm sure we'll solve the big pass play problem but that's still a big worry going into this next game. New Jersey have some home run threats we're going to have to try to contain. We can't afford to carry any passengers on defence this week. Which brings me to Lucas Johnson. I've not seen his name come up once on the game reports. Is he missing his tackles? Is he just floating around out there? Are we playing him out of position? Is he just there to watch the game from the field? Should I be charging him admission?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: April 12, 2018, 12:45:37 PM »

He's averaging about 10 snaps per game due to so many teams running a 3 wide receiver set, forcing us into the nickle most of the time.  He hasn't missed any tackles, but he's only made one... hard to tell if its his fault or just plays not coming towards him?  Not sure, but also you have to factor the fact that Larry Stevens takes a ton of tackles away from other players with his elite quickness and decision making.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: April 12, 2018, 01:13:33 PM »
The Dragons generally run the ball heavily so we'll get a chance to see if it's him or circumstance this week. If I still don't see anything from him I'll want to give Schofield a shot. In future weeks might it be worth playing out of the nickel as our primary formation? I don't want to make sweeping changes but if we're playing that way anyway we may as well train that way. We certainly have the corners for it.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: April 14, 2018, 07:55:50 PM »

I wouldn't change it, because the nickle isn't the most effective against the run game, so its better to deploy it when the offense throws out 3 receivers and just match their sets, but beyond that, if Lucas can't perform this week, I'd be fine giving someone else some playing time.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: April 15, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »
We'll leave things alone and see how they develop over the next few games then. What do you make of our rookie safeties so far?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: April 19, 2018, 06:33:29 PM »

I like them.  Bostic's been slow to improve but he's talented, while Moya has shown some strength gains which is a positive for sure.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: April 23, 2018, 03:27:27 AM »
That's very encouraging. I have high hopes for both of these lads. We'll stick with the extra film study for now and reassess in a couple of weeks. Thank you Coach.
-----

Lolly, could you call Coach Door up for me please?
------

Coach, we allowed quite a few yards on the ground against St Paul but otherwise we've been very strong against the run. Obviously that sarts with the d-line and I think you deserve credit for that. Against New Jersey it's going to be even more important to contain the run. We're also going to need to get pressure on Lynn. That's an area where we're a little weaker. You mentioned some concerns about the Peacocks and Tipton in your post-camp report. What do you think of them at this stage?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: April 23, 2018, 09:56:24 PM »

The kids are winning me over.  They've performed well so far and haven't given me any trouble so that's all I can ask.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: April 24, 2018, 03:26:30 AM »
Excellent. It's always great to see the young lads performing well and it bodes well for the future of this team. The hard work you're all putting in is definitely being appreciated. Looking at the here and now though, I'm in two minds about how to approach New Jersey. We either come at them hard and try to throw them off their rhythm or we sit back in coverage to counter the deep threat and trust the line to hold their run game. Could this young line handle that?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: April 25, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »

I believe that they are capable, but are they consistent enough to bank on it?  I am not confident that we can just tell them "go get them" BUT that being said, with our linebackers being as athletic and fast as they are, especially Stevens, we could roll the dice this week.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
I'm very tempted to do just that but I think continuity is going to be more important at this stage of the season. We'll revisit this later in the year when the lads have been playing together longer. Thanks for the input, Coach.

Rotation: Mostly Starters
Strategy changes: None

In-season Training Schedule
-0 hours position training
-0 hours athletic training
-0 hours physical training
-2 hours film study

Players
Moya
Bostic
Peacock
Peacock

Lock in

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 21, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
S10 WEEK 5

This game was probably the most satisfying of our victories so far this season. We got out to a good lead in the first half and controlled things from there without ever really feeling threatened. People will look at the total yards and completed pass stats and try to argue that we were fortunate but what makes the difference in these games is efficiency. Our 3rd down conversion and pass completion rates were much better than New Jersey's and we converted our red zone opportunities. Of course the biggest difference came on the ground. Tank Mixon gets a huge amount of attention, deservedly so, but the partnership he has with Johnson is what makes this team so dangerous. Christopher had a great game out there and got his reward with a touchdown.

I know GM Kirk will go on about how New Jersey was the better team because he can't accept that his team was well beaten. Sure, they gave up a lot of penalty yards but that's what happens when you try to build up every game as a grudge match. He wound his players up to a point where an explosion was inevitable. I'm very proud of the professionalism my players showed despite the dirty play of the Dragons and we got our reward for that.

2. Talk to us about your upcoming game this week.  What will be the toughest thing to prepare for this week?

This week we visit Tulsa at the start of a very important period of the season. We've set ourselves up well against the division rivals and we need to keep that momentum going through this next run. Tulsa haven't had the best of times recently and they're coming off the back of a pretty painful loss. People will be expecting us to go in and roll them over but there really are no easy games in this league. They'll be hurting after that loss and will be keen to bounce back. It will be our job to make sure they don't do that against us. The difficulty will be in stopping their passing game. We did very well at doing just that against the Dragons but Tulsa have lads capable of making those home run plays so we'll need to make sure we cover that properly. If we can get our run game going, get out to an early lead and put pressure on their line on defence then I think we'll be able to come away with an important win.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 28, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »

Our boys always love to get a win over New Jersey, but even more importantly we are keeping on the heels of Cleveland.  We've got a few favorable match ups coming up, so we need to keep focused and make sure we don't let a team like Tulsa surprise us.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 30, 2018, 03:20:16 PM »
You took the words right out of my mouth. A very satisfying win this week but we need to get right back to work to make sure we carry this momentum forward. We have a great chance to overtake Cleveland and pull away from the pack before the divisional games return but we can't afford to slip up. What's the mentality like in the team? Is complacency something we need to particularly worry about? Do I need to stress the importance of these games to our captains?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: June 01, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »

I don't think you need to explain the importance to them, but if you want to you can.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: June 04, 2018, 05:44:26 PM »
I may do that then. Looking more tactically at the next game now, the threat from Tulsa seems to come from their deep ball. Similar to New Jersey last week really. We did a much better job of holding the passing game in check last week than we have done previously this year. I know it's hard to judge on one game but was that down to things we did or did New Jersey have a poor week passing the ball?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: June 04, 2018, 08:56:13 PM »

I like to think it was more us than them, but they have struggled for consistency through the air.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: June 05, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »
I hope you're right. We'll keep things as they are and see if that improvement in our pass defence continues. If not we can make changes in a couple of weeks. Speaking of improvement, I was pleased to see Lucas on the game report finally. Only 2 tackles but it's still an improvement. We need everyone to be performing if we're going to succeed, particularly when we have a few injuries like we currently do. I trust you to know who to slot in as replacements so there's no real need to discuss that at this point. Anyway, thank you for your input again Coach. Could you send the captains up to see me when you get down to practice please?
-------

Right lads, I won't keep you long. We've had a great start to this season, put a few rivals in their place and we're looking good up at the top of the division. We've not achieved anything yet though. Sure, we've positioned ourselves well but it's these next 6 games that will define our season. We have a chance to overtake Cleveland and put some distance between ourselves and the chasing pack. Our run looks easier on paper than Cleveland or St Paul's but games aren't played on paper. The run is only easier if we win the games we're supposed to. That only happens if we remain focused and continue to work our arses off on every single play of every game and every snap in practice. I know you all know this already but this is a young team and I need you guys to keep the others working how they should be. If you see anyone taking it easy or taking plays off or even speaking like they've won a game before the final whistle is blown, I want you to give them a clip round the back of the head or a kick up the arse... whatever you feel is needed to get their mind in the right place again. We have a great chance to do something special this year and I know you lads are the leaders we need to do it. Cheers guys.

Could one of you take this to Coach Farmer for me please?

Rotation: Mostly Starters
Strategy changes: None

Lock in

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: June 09, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »
S10 WEEK 6

This was a bit of a bizarre one this week. It almost looked like we'd not get a game at all and that confusion messed with our preparations. Despite the circus going on around us we managed to get the victory we needed and climbed to the top of the division. All in all it was a job well done. I know people were talking about this being a game we should have won comfortably but this Tulsa team isn't the same as the Tulsa team of last season. They're a much better balanced outfit and they pushed us all the way. With that said, we got our lead early and never really looked like falling behind at any point. Our offence played very well, through the air and on the ground. Once again, our dual RBs had a great game and kept the pressure on the Tulsa defence all day. Rizzo picked his passes well and deserved his 2 TDs this week. When you have a QB as reliable as Rizzo it helps boost the confidence of everyone on the team. Of course his confidence must be boosted by the presence of Smith on the O-line. 14 pancakes in a single game. Does anyone know what the record is?
Defensively there were a few issues but that was expected with one of our DT partnership out injured. We managed to make the plays when it really mattered, though, and we won the turnover battle. When you do that you set yourself up well for victory.

2. Talk about this weeks league news, what stood out most to you?

I think there will be very few people who aren't talking about the farce in Tulsa this week. If I hadn't been involved in the game I might have found it funny. You just don't expect this sort of thing in the top football league in the world. I can see why Kitchen is so angry too. Surely at their home stadium someone could have popped into the club shop and bought a personalised jersey for him. In the end I'm just glad we came out with a win. It would have been more than embarrassing had we lost after their road trip.

3. What do you make of the news of the newest GM's to join the league? What advice would you give them?

It's a bit early to judge the new GMs but so far they've been saying the right things. Not sure I would have made the change at QB GM Eli did in Cleveland but I drafted Jordan and I know the lads there really well. It'll be interesting to see what he does with my old team. The only real bit of advice I'd have, beyond sending your players to the right stadium on game day, is to give your team a clear identity and stick to it.

4. With the draft class being announced later this week, do you plan to target personalities, skill sets, or position groups at the college showcase?

At this stage I think I'll likely be looking at skill sets. We'll use this week to try and identify the guys we think have the right attributes to make an impact in the league and then we'll narrow the group down from there by the time the combine swings around.

5. What do you hope to gain most this week during the bye week, for yourself but also for your team?

This bye week is going to be a chance for me to assess how the team has been doing so far and where we can improve over the rest of the season. We're still getting used to the new systems on both sides of the ball so for the players and coaches this is going to be a great chance to work on that.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: June 11, 2018, 01:22:27 PM »

So I asked around with the stat monkeys about the pancake record and its 15 in a game, by Joseph Worthington over in Miami.  Still, Smith is a walking Hall of Famer, so I wouldn't be surprised if and when he breaks that record on his own.  Still amazing he hasn't give up a sack in over 3 seasons..  Just insane.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: June 13, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »
He is an incredible talent and I'm delighted to have him here for the long term. Rizzo, Tank and Johnson owe him dinner at least. The rest of the line is looking solid too.
Defensively we were less than solid this week though. I didn't expect the game to be as close as it was. Only 2 fluffed kicks between us and Tulsa. Why did we struggle to contain them like that?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: June 13, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

I think a big part of it is that Coach Blank over in DC probably knows our defense better than anyone outside of Coach Saint and myself.  Figure he practiced against us every single day for the last 5 seasons, so he knew where to poke and were to avoid trying things.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:00 PM »
Maybe but I'm not so sure. Allowing 20 1st downs, 7/11 opposition 3rd down conversion rate and over 450 yards of total offence is pretty shocking. This is not an isolated incident either. We've allowed 20 or more 1st downs in our last 3 games, over 400 yards in 3 of our 6 games, over 250 passing yards in 5 games and over 20 points in 3 of our 6 games. We've only had 2 interceptions all season so far. I had expected more with the secondary we have, if I'm honest.

I don't mean this as a criticism. We've completely changed the system from last year and we have a lot of young lads on this defence this year. We're 5-1 so we're obviously doing enough defensively to win our games but it's still something we need to work on if we want to keep this run of results going. This seems like a good week to try and analyse this a little more and work on the specific areas that need improving. Let's start with the D-line. I know the injury to Luis Peacock will have had an effect but how did the guys on the line do for missed tackles in the last 3 games?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: June 18, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »

We've only had five missed tackles on the defensive line all season. 2 from Ryan Peacock, 2 from Johnson, and 1 from Taco.  I can't see when they happened, as it isn't a regular stat I can pull up outside of season totals.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: June 19, 2018, 03:08:27 PM »
That's fine, thank you. Those are pretty impressive figures, particularly with how young the lads are. We've only had 11 TFLs all season and went 2 games with none though. Considered alongside the stats I highlighted earlier it's suggesting a lack of penetration on the line. I'm sure it will come as the players get used to the system but I'd like to do something to spark some life into our rush. I'll give that some thought.
Looking at the secondary, we're getting a lot of tackles from our CBs and Safeties but only 1 interception from them (our other coming from a LB). With the quality we have in those positions it really surprises me to see that. I'm pleased with the tackling but I'd like to see a few more batted passes and interceptions. Do you think this is linked to a lack of penetration on the line allowing the opposing QBs too much time to pick their passes?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: June 20, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »

I am not completely sure, but with us currently running a balanced defense and playing primarily man-to-man coverage, it could be that changing our aggression level or switching to more zone could change our outcomes there?  Its a new feature for the league, so it might take some tweaking to find what we want.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: June 20, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »
I'm happy to stick with man to man as we seem to have reduced the number of big plays we're allowing since making that switch. Let's increase the aggression and see how that impacts on things. I realise it will increase the risk of giving up big plays again but we need to be putting the opposition under more pressure in order to win the ball higher up the field for our offence.
Moving on to the final part of the defence, the LBs. We all know how good Stevens is but what do you make of the others? You talk about the athleticism of the LB corps but is that the influence of Stevens just being that good?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: June 20, 2018, 05:45:10 PM »

I like Billy Zepeda.  He's been solid for us so far this year and was very productive in both Orlando and Music City, but he showed that he's not for every scheme with the way he only managed 24 tackles for Rapid City back in Season 6.   He's got decent speed, great tackling form, good intelligence, and good strength but is lacking in the agility and endurance departments.  Not enough to struggle, but it keeps him from jumping to that 'next level' ... Lucas Johnson has been a major disappointment, we both know he's been invisible, which makes me wonder how Irvin Schofield might fare given some of Johnson's snaps down the road.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: June 20, 2018, 05:48:21 PM »
I've been thinking that myself. How does Schofield compare to Johnson? How would you want to slot him in?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: June 20, 2018, 05:57:48 PM »

Scho' is a better athlete in terms of speed, he's significantly faster.  Strength and agility-wise, they are identical and Irvin is a better tackler, but only slightly.  The biggest change recently is that Schofield has been learning more and more this year through training and I feel like he is surpassing Lucas with his understanding of the defense.  That with his speed advantage makes him a better player, in my opinion.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 22, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »
Well let's get him in the lineup next week then and see how he does. Thank you for the input, Coach. You've given me plenty to think about. No gimmicks this week. Just work them hard like we always do. I'll let you get back to it.
-------

Lolly, could you ask Coach Door to come up and see me please?
-------

Coach, I'm sure you've seen the trade. I thought this week would be a good time to do it as it gives the new lads a chance to settle. The only one I'm sure you're interested in is Anthony McLaughlin. Obviously I know him well. He was the unsung hero on that Cleveland defensive line in my time there so I'm very pleased to be bringing him here to DC. You said you like to use the DEs for your pass rush and you won't find many better than him in the league. The question is about how to use him on our line. He was always on the left for me, which is obviously Taco's slot. For me, I'd like to use McLaughlin and Johnson together this year and give Taco another year to develop but I'd like your opinion on that.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50021
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: June 22, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »

Hello GM Dazz, Riley from the league office calling. After processing your trade with Cleveland it has come to our attention that your team is $250K over the salary cap. 

As a result of this violation of the salary cap, your organization has been fined $5MM for this season and next season. You will need to clear $5.25MM in Salary to be in compliance, and as with all roster/salary penalties you will forfeit a roster spot for the remainder of the season. 

You may use next off-season's amnesty clause if you so choose, or you can find another way to get under the cap.  Please me more careful in the future.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: June 22, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »
I was sure I was $250k under the cap and I checked it more than once. I have seen my error though. Daniel Roman is on $2.5m and not the $2m I first read. Very careless of me and it won't happen again. I will see to resolving the problem immediately and thank the league for bringing this to my attention.
--------

Well Coach, this conversation may have to wait while I sort out my own bloody mess. Rank idiocy really. Thank you, Coach. We'll talk again when I have things in order once more. Don't worry, I have a plan.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 25, 2018, 03:31:29 AM »
Lolly, could I speak to Mr Kiss if he has time please?
--------

Mr Kiss, thank you for taking the time to see me. I wanted to apologise for the mess I made. It was extremely careless of me and a mistake I usually have controls in place to prevent. There's no excusing such a basic error though. However, I think I have things resolved and that the team is actually coming out of this stronger. McLaughlin will add penetration to our line, carmazzi will provide extra security behind Rizzo, Dodds is a superstar in the making and Roman is a talented kid with a great attitude. The whole thing has cost more than I wanted but I think we're still in a very good place.