Author Topic: TEAM : DC COBRAS  (Read 115168 times)

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : DC COBRAS
« Reply #2300 on: October 14, 2019, 06:13:38 PM »
If we can take the intensity from the second half into the first we'd find things so much easier. It potentially suggests our offence works better when we pass more on early downs. Though perhaps it just shows we're more effective when we wear down the opposition. What I do know is that not managing to even punt the ball as far as the first down marker doesn't help. Edwards did well for us last year but his performances this year aren't good enough. My initial instinct was to cut him but this is your team. Do you think giving him the proverbial kick up the arse will give him what he needs to be better?
GM Powers Today at 8:11 PM
"You suck.  Stop sucking, or you'll suck back home in your Lay Z Boy.  Now get the fuck outta here."

--Dazz

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner -- PBL S6 Premier Cup Winner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
  • S6 Premier Cup Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 15, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »

I say give him the ass-chewing and if he doesnt round out next week we cut him and try to sign Maurice Alcala.  He was great for San Antonio for a few years then hasn't been signed since because of how little most people care about punters.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 16, 2019, 05:31:30 PM »
Right, I'll read him the riot act then and see if that does the trick. Another performance like that and he's gone though. We're building to win titles here. I'll speak to Coach Prince about small tweaks to our offence but I'm not looking to make sweeping changes at this point. Thank you Coach.
--------

Lolly, could I see Ronald Edmonds please?
--------

Ronald, I just wanted to bring you in to have a chat about how you think your season is going so far.
"You suck.  Stop sucking, or you'll suck back home in your Lay Z Boy.  Now get the fuck outta here."

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 17, 2019, 11:47:18 PM »

Its been frustrating, feeling like I'm not getting my best kicks out there.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:46 AM »
I'm glad you're frustrated... it shows you're not deluded at least. Not getting your best kicks is a bit of a bloody understatement though. Last year you had 20 kicks in the opposition 20 which was pretty good. So far this year you have none and your average is below 45yards per kick. I expect my players to get better after every game but your performances have clearly gotten worse. Quite frankly it isn't good enough. You're not only letting yourself down or letting me down but, more importantly, you're letting your teammates down. You have 1 job and that is to kick the ball as far away from our goal line as possible. Every time you kick some little 30 yard chip shot you give the opposition great field position and put the lads on defence on the back foot straight away. In our last game you had 2 kicks like that which were quickly converted into TDs. That just makes everyone's jobs that much harder and it's unacceptable. This is the only warning you are going to get. You showed last year that you are better than this. That's why you're getting this chance. Get your head out of your arse and do your job or you'll soon find yourself sitting at home watching someone else doing it. Now get back to practice. You clearly have a lot of work to do.
-------

Lolly, could I see Coach Prince please?
-------

Coach, we seem to be starting very slowly and then coming out with great intensity in the second half. Are you tweaking ratios or tempo for the second half or is it a result of us wearing the opposition down during the first half?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 19, 2019, 11:04:26 PM »

We're always toying with the ratios in micro movements but nothing different in the second half than it is in the first. ...I think we're just wearing teams down and we settle in.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: October 20, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »
I'm giving some thought to moving towards a 50:50 ratio, particularly when we get Young back. Winnipeg have struggled to contain the run these past few weeks though so I'd like to leave the ratios alone for now. Daley isn't know for his running and he scored a 61yard TD against them last week so I'd like to see Urban carry a few himself too. Other than that let's play as normal and hope Edwards can get us better field position when we need him to.

Rotation: Mostly starters
Run:pass ratio: 60:40
Tempo: Normal
Strategy changes: Designed QB runs to be included in the playbook

lock in

--Dazz

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: October 26, 2019, 06:22:37 AM »
SEASON 12 - WEEK 4

1. What was your biggest takeaway from your team this weekend?

The biggest takeaway is that Sasser is worth every cent we pay him. If you want somebody to come and get you the points to win the game he's that man. A rather simple kick for him this time but it gives the team so much confidence knowing he can be relied on when the game is on the line. I don't single players out in public so make of that what you will.

2. How do you feel about your teams performance at the quarter-season mark.  What has been your biggest strength, weakness, and where do you hope to see the most improvement?

If we keep winning 3 out of 4 this season then the playoffs will be returning to DC. It's a good start and a very good platform to build from but what is probably most worrying for our rivals is that we've achieved that record without really playing particularly well. We haven't clicked yet offensively and we need to work on that, though having John Young come back is going to add a something different to our attack. We're running the ball well in a league where that is becoming more difficult and that's helping us to wear the opposition down but we need our passing game to better take advantage. Urban is very inexperienced still but has all of the attributes to be a superstar so we need to work out how to help him reach that potential. I'm confident it will all come together and when it does there won't be many teams who can keep up with us.
Our biggest strength, and the reason we've got this platform that we do, has been our defence. These lads play with such intensity and heart it is inspiring to watch. They keep being put into difficult positions by some awful punting and yet they are still making it very hard for teams to score. I had some concerns about the fact that this is basically an all new secondary but those lads have already built a good understanding and that will only improve with each game they play together. All credit goes to the coaching staff for that. They've built a system that the players all buy into and we're getting our rewards for that.
Overall I'm pleased but there is a still room for improvement.

3. Which players around the league are really catching your eye this season both for the good and the bad?

The player who catches the eye, and it's a boring choice, has to be Ortega. He's having an outstanding season and already looks set to break records this year. We seem to say that every year with him. It's almost like he's playing a different game to everyone else.
The player who stands out as being disappointing, and I only say this because of his own high standards, is Ezekiel Elliott. He's a fantastic player but that Franchise offence doesn't seem to suit him. If he's looking for a move to spark his form back into life I'd love to see him play alongside Mixon and Johnson here. Can you imagine that?

4. Talk about this weeks match up and what you expect to do best against your opponent.

This is a very important game for us. We need to be winning our home divisional games and we've already dropped one against Cleveland. St Paul are a team a lot of people wrote off before the season but they have been a lot better than the ridiculous ESPN rankings, which goes to show how reliable those were. They have the ability to make plays in the secondary and their offence has some great weapons we're going to have to be careful of. That pairing at RB is one of the best in the league but then they also have guys like Ramos at WR who will hurt you if you stack the box. To win this we need to win the battle on the ground and we need to get to Kitchen early. Those are our strengths so I have confidence we can send our fans home happy.

5. What do you make of the news in Charlotte and the return of GM Kirk?

It's not really surprising after his media campaign to get GM Tom fired. It makes sense for that organisation as well. Those players are too good to be that bad and Kirk has a history of success so it'll likely be a very good match. Assuming he doesn't throw his toys out of the pram again.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: October 27, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »

I share your frustrations with the offense bro, but another win in the books and Sasser has the game winner in all three..  That's Clutch bro.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: October 27, 2019, 03:36:42 PM »
Absolutely. That man is a machine. If I'm still here when he retires I'll make sure his number gets retired. I'd be much happier if he was kicking extra points more often and not being asked to kick so many game winners. I know offence isn't your thing but I'd still like your view on this. Obviously the first move I'm making is to replace the punter. I challenged him to do better and I think that was possibly his worst performance yet. After that we need to look at our passing game. With a legendary former QB as OC I'm surprised that's where we're struggling. Are we being too conservative using Myers and Pike as our starting WRs?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: October 28, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »

My opinion is that Myers is no longer the dynamic weapon as he used to be, and Pike is just a complimentary piece.  He's not showing enough to be more than a possession guy.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: October 29, 2019, 05:08:11 AM »
There's certainly a place for those types of receivers, particularly on 3rd down or in the red zone, but I do think we need something else to kickstart our passing. I'll discuss it with Coach Prince. Defensively we're doing really well but I wanted your thoughts on our DEs. We're paying Douglas a lot of money but not really using him. Is it worth maybe using him in the nickel set?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: October 30, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »

If that is what you want to do, just tell me who to swap him out with.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: October 30, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
I think we try him for McLaughlin and see how he gets on. I don't want to make sweeping changes to something that's working so well but his ability to penetrate into the backfield last year was too good not to take advantage of.
One final thing before I move on and sort out the punter situation. Ramos, how do we counter him? Do we have a CB who matches up with him particularly well? Is it worth sticking our fastest guy on him to try and limit the damage he can do? I don't want to make sweeping changes but I really don't want Ramos putting up over 150 yards on us like he has in every game so far.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: November 03, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »

We definitely want Johnson on him ideally. 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: November 03, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »
We'll leave things as they are then. Thank you for your input, Coach. I'll get the punter situation sorted now.
-------

Lolly, could I please speak to James T. Crain.
-------

Mr Crain, it's GM Dazz here. I'd like to speak to you about signing your client Maurice Alcala. Would he sign for 3 years at $1m?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: November 03, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
DEAL

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: November 03, 2019, 06:46:45 PM »
Always a pleasure.
------

Lolly, could you please ask Coach Prince to come up and see me?
------

With John Young back from suspension this week I think it's the right time to take a look at how we're using our WRs. Right now I believe we have the worst passer rating in the league and we're not getting much production out of our passing game. I personally don't think it's a problem with Urban. I think it's likely down to Myers and Pike both being possession receivers and neither really having that ability to turn a short or medium catch into a big gain. Obviously Young gives us that and I think we've seen Elrod show ability there as well. I suppose the question is, where do we slot Young in and who does he play with? My gut is to put Young in at WR 1 and to leave Elrod in the slot but picking between Pike and Myers is where I'm struggling. If you think I'm completely wrong though do tell me.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: November 03, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »

I think you're on the right track but I'd like to have some sets where we flip Elrod and Young so we get Young in the slot at times, not as much but occasionally.  I'd still lean to Myers as the other WR, but we could try to work both in and see if anyone steps up.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: November 05, 2019, 04:56:10 AM »
Love the idea of moving Young on different sets. Did you have particular sets in mind? Also, if we're using 4wr sets in 3rd and long or in the red zone then we should definitely be using Pike in those up against guys who aren't natural corners. He should be able to out jump most defenders and we know we can rely on his hands so he'll give us a different option and I think we'd get better results in those situations.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: November 07, 2019, 11:55:04 PM »

We don't go full-4 Wide very often, but I'll make that adjustment for sure.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: November 09, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
Great, thank you. I will let you handle the strategy changes as you see best, along the lines of what we've discussed of course. Could you send John Young up to see me when you get back down to practice please?
--------

John, welcome back to the team. I'm sure you understand why we had to suspend you for those 4 games but you're back now and it's time to put all of that behind us. You have an opportunity here that most people in other walks of life never get, a chance for almost immediate redemption. You made a mistake in the off-season but if you go out there on that field and play football of the highest quality, as I know you are capable of doing, people will quickly forget all about it. Take Australian cricket captain, Steve Smith, as an example. He was caught cheating and banned from the sport for a year. On his return he immediately started playing like a hero and that's all anybody was talking about. The fact that he's a horrible cheat was immediately forgotten and he's now regarded as one of the greatest cricketers to ever play the game. If you look around the HIFL there are plenty of examples of off-field issues being swept aside by POTY level performances. Who now talks about The Cotter's drugs ban or his horrible attitude? Who mentions the strange rumours around Hodge using his twin to cheat a drugs test or about DGB's drugs ban or his horrendously offensive remarks on The View? Nobody does because these lads have consistently performed at such a high level that they are simply regarded as legends of the game. Look to these examples when you step out onto the field for the rest of these seasons. I know you have the ability to rise to legendary status in this league and if you put up the sorts of number Ramos has been so far this season then I guarantee that's all anybody will talk about. Redemption is out there on that football field 1 TD at a time and with each 100 yard reception game. I want you to go out there snatch that redemption out of the air and to hold onto it with both hands and don't drop it. By redemption I mean the football. Do that and you'll become the comeback story the whole of the media wants to talk about. Are you ready this week to go out there and set down that marker?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: November 09, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »

I've got a lot to prove to silence these haters, but I'm def about to make them look like fools.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: November 09, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
Excellent stuff, I look forward to seeing it. You're going to be our number 1 wide receiver from this week so you'll get every chance to do it.
------

Strategy changes: Swap Anthony McLaughlin and Kawaan Douglas in nickel set, John Young returns as WR1, Myers to WR2 and Elrod as slot receiver. Young and Elrod to swap position as discussed. Pike used in 4 WR sets and to swap in with Myers as discussed. Alcala to take punts, John Young to KR1 and PR1, other players move down 1 in return depth chart.

lock in

--Dazz

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: November 10, 2019, 09:18:46 AM »
SEASON 12 - WEEK 5

1. What was your biggest takeaway from your team this weekend?

The biggest takeaway is easy, the spectacular return of John Young and his partnership with Urban Hemsworth. These two linked up very well last season so I'm delighted to see them linking up so well on John's return. There has been a lot of talk about Max Ramos this season but that's only because John hasn't been playing. Going head to head there was only one winner this week. 2 receptions for 155 yards and 2 TDs is something else and I'm looking forward to seeing how this offence comes together now that we have all of our players back. There are still a few things we need to iron out but we have a real homerun threat which means teams can't go all out to stop our run and that frees us up to play the game we want to. You could see that this week already with the way Mixon and Johnson were able to run through St Paul. It wasn't a perfect performance. We didn't control the time of possession, we weren't getting enough first downs and our 3rd down conversion rate has to get better but I'm happy with how ruthless we were this week.
The other major takeaway is the season ending injury to Larry Stevens. It's a huge blow to the team. Not only is he the heart of the defence but he's one of the key figures in the organisation. Sure we'll miss his tackles but I expect the others who come in to step up and fill that hole. It's his leadership and his drive that we'll miss most. I'm sure he'll be right back on the sidelines as soon as he can be to help guide this team. Before you ask, no I'm not going to be as irresponsible as GM Franchise and risk a player's career and even his long term health by trying to rush Stevens back early. We will be listening to the doctors and making sure he is healed up properly before bringing him back in.

2. What do you make of the news of the league's expansion?

I think it's great news for not only the league but for the sport as a whole. The GMs have been discussing the possibility of international expansion this season so I'm sure you'll hear most of us have only positive things to say about it. Taking this league overseas allows us to tap into those markets that have previously been ignored and that can only be good for the fans, the owners and the players. I used to play professional "soccer" in London so I'm particularly pleased to see a franchise expanding to that city. The return of the Pearl Harbor Predators, the team I started my GM career with, is also particularly pleasing. Those fans were great to me and the team and they deserve to have top level football there. I loved living out there as well so it's a very good place to be a GM and I look forward to seeing how that team progresses. I know a few of you in the press are going to try and stir up some trouble, particularly when I don't have a long term contract tying me to the Cobras. However I want to make it absolutely clear that despite the fact that I am only managing here on a year by year basis, I'm committed to this project here in DC so I won't be the one leading either of those franchises but I wish the best of luck to whoever is fortunate enough to win those jobs.

3. Talk about this weeks opponent, and what you expect from your team?

This week's game feels like a more familiar place for me to be in. Fighting with GM Powers to see who tops the division is what I was used to in Cleveland and it's where the DC Cobras should be. Regardless of the opponent, winning the game right before the bye week is always important as you want to be going into your break with that sense of confidence which allows everyone to take a breath and get focused for the next period of games. There's also a huge psychological difference between being 5-1 or 4-2. What makes it even more important is that we're up against a team trying to achieve that exact same thing. The losing team this week will be looking to try and catch up and I want to make sure that's Michigan doing that rather than us. To do that we need to make sure we block up the running lanes and limit the damage Allen can do, then we need to find a way to contain Giovanni Hill. I've had success in the past in doing that by sitting back in coverage but that's not in the DNA of this team so it's going to be vital that whenever we do get to Hill that we make it count. He's one of those slippery QBs who is a nightmare to try and rush but if we can force him into rushing things we know we have the playmakers in the secondary to capitalise on any mistakes. This is our sternest test so far but I'm confident we can step up and it should be an intriguing, if not particularly exciting, game this week. I'm looking forward to it.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: November 10, 2019, 09:49:39 PM »

Losing Larry for the season... I think I'm going to be sick.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: November 11, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »
Hearing that news was like being kicked in the balls by Sasser. My gut says put Wright in the middle and bring Johnson in but how's Kyrgios developing?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: November 11, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »

He's starting to reach his ceiling I think.  He's still behind Johnson in overall skill and they are very similar players. I'd go with Johnson, he's a better tackler.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: November 12, 2019, 06:11:53 AM »
Ok, we'll do that then. I suppose the other question is how we try to replace his leadership in the defence. Obviously Larry is going to still be a captain off the field but we need a new captain on the field. Is there anyone in the secondary with leadership traits that stand out to you? Moya and Blais seem to be leading by example but do either stand out as captain material to you?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: November 12, 2019, 09:45:44 PM »

Philip Johnson is a phenomenal leader.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: November 13, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »
That answers that then. I know losing Larry is going to hurt our defence a lot but our secondary has been doing a great job of turning the ball over and with Douglas stepping up last week I'm confident we can get the penetration we need to halt Allen and get to Hill. Putting him down is the hard bit but if we can get him to rush a few passes we should be in a good place. I don't think we should be changing anything else anyway. I'm going to head off to the hospital to speak to Larry so I'll let you get on with your preparations. Thank you Coach.
-----

Hi Larry, awful to see you get hurt like that. I can't even imagine what it must be like for you right now. I just wanted to stop by and let you know the whole organisation is thinking of you and want to see you back on your feet as soon as possible. Don't rush yourself though. Everyone is going to be working as hard as we can to make sure you're returning to a successful team when you do get back. Don't worry either, injury or not you're still the captain of this team and that's not going to change. Johnson will be named captain out on the field but as soon as you're up to it I'd like to see you back in the locker room and on the sidelines to help guide the lads. In the meantime, focus on your recovery and know the lads aren't going to let you down.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: November 14, 2019, 08:19:34 AM »

You have my word GM Dazz, when I'm able I'll be there. I'm going to hate not being on the field with my team every weekend.  I'll put the same work into getting back on the field as I do when Im on the field. You can count on me.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: November 14, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »
I know I can. That attitude is why you're such an important part of this organisation. Concentrate on getting yourself right again. We'll do our best to extend the season for you.
------

Strategy changes: Wright moves to MLB, Zepeda to ROLB, L Johnson to LOLB. P Johnson takes over as the third defensive captain.
lock in

--Dazz

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: November 15, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »
1. Talk about last weeks game.

Last week I went to see Larry Stevens in hospital after his ACL tear and i promised him the team would work hard to make sure he returned to a successful team. The very next game that team rolled over and allowed Michigan to do whatever they wanted. I'm furious and I'm sure Larry will be as well. Don't get me wrong, Michigan are a top side, Allen is a great running back and Hill is world class. Even so, there's no way we should have been beaten so easily and there's no excuse for such an insipid performance. It was a classic problem from early in the season where we just got off to the worst possible start and we allowed the game to get away from us in the first half. Our defence was much better in the second half but allowing over 500 total yards and allowing the opposition to convert over 50% of 3rd downs simply isn't good enough. Losing Larry is no excuse for it either. I shouldn't be too harsh. They did force 2 fumbles and had we turned the ball over on both then the game might have gone differently but we can't be relying on turnovers all of the time.
Offensively we were even worse. The only players who come out with credit are John Young with over 120 yards on 4 receptions and Daniel Roman with his TD on his only catch. We weren't good enough on 3rd down, we gave up on the run far too early in the game and we gave up 20 yards in offensive penalties, each of which is a momentum killer. Having less than 50 yards on the ground is absolutely unacceptable. I'm very disappointed by what I saw out there and I hope all of the players and coaches are equally so.

2. What are your thoughts on this years draft class as you head into the showcase to see many of them for the first time?

It's hard to tell until we take a look at them really. There are a few that have the physical attributes I'm looking for but that's not really worth much if they can't play the game at a good enough level. The one thing I will say is that it looks to be a bit of a small class this year, but that might just be because of the positions I've been looking at.

3. What are you hoping to gain from this weeks Showcase?

I have a few positions in mind where I think we need a bit of youth and some others where we need to start planning for a few retirements in the next 3-4 years. I'll be looking at those positions and seeing what this draft class has to offer. This is a first look so we won't be filling in names on our draft board just yet but, with the extremely limited scouting resources there are in this league, this showcase will help to guide our search when the combine swings around. Things are a bit harder with an expansion draft coming though. It's tough to know what the roster is going to look like by the time we're drafting.

4. What did you schedule for your players during the bye week? Training or a week off?

After that disappointing performance against Michigan there was no way the players were getting a week off. At 4-2 we're still in a good position in the division but we're chasing things now and there are some clear problems that we need to work on if we want to reach our targets this year. I'm still very positive about our season but there's a lot of work that still needs to be done, particularly with the visit of Orlando after the bye week.

5. Talk about anything else on your mind in reference to the league/sport as a whole.

The thing that's concerning me at the moment is the number of long term injuries this year, particularly to QBs. Our gameplan involves an aggressive blitz and we hit the QB often, however we do that within the rules set out to protect the players. Unfortunately Hill was hurt this week in our game but it was only a minor injury because our players know where the line is. Look around at the suspensions and the number of guys out for long periods and it paints a clear picture that there are teams where those limits are more blurry. At the end of the day it's the job of the referees to look after the welfare of the players once they cross the line onto the field and they need to be doing a better job of it.

6. Discuss some of the hiring and firing around the league over the last two weeks, what surprised you most, and what did you see coming?

This is about the time in the year where you get a good idea of where your team sits in the pecking order and how your season is likely to go. It's probably been a more active period than in prior seasons and I think that comes down to a few factors. Having guys like GM Kirk on the sidelines was always going to intensify the pressure on some but there are some teams where you just find yourself asking why a change wasn't made sooner. GM T Bone being fired was something that's probably been coming and at 0-6 you can't really argue with it. I still think he's a good GM but I guess things got stale in Kansas so he'll probably find it's good for him in the end. Gates moving on from Rapid City caught me by surprise though. His season isn't going great but it's not beyond saving but I suppose the expansion does give GMs options if the dynamic with the owner isn't where it needs to be.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: November 21, 2019, 09:57:39 AM »
WHEN YOU ARE READY TO TRANSITION FROM  SHOWCASE TO WORK WEEK, YOU MAY ADDRESS YOUR COACH

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: November 25, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »
Coach, I'm not going to dignify that news story with a response.
Moving on to things that actually matter, even with the bye week between us and that game against Michigan I am still fuming about the way we performed. With the run game not working it exposed the weaknesses in our passing game. 3rd down conversions weren't good enough and seeing the huge gap between Young's performance and that of the other WRs is irritating. It feels to me like the focus of our passing is too short. I'm going to talk to Coach Prince about it in more detail shortly but I wanted your view on it. Is it the style of passing that's the issue or should I be upping my search for a more dynamic WR?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: November 25, 2019, 04:18:55 PM »

I think it's the receivers, because we put an emphasis on deeper passing as it is, but he can't throw the ball if nobody is getting open.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: November 25, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »
That's something of a relief to be honest. It's easier to fix than having to change the system and I've already got a few feelers out there. Who knows, David Ames might make it easier for me to trade for a top WR soon. I'll speak to Prince about how we approach things with our current players in the meantime. I'll let you get back to preparing to take on a QB who can get sacked 10 times and still put on a ridiculous performance. Thanks Coach.
--------

Lolly, could you please release the following statement to the press and see that what's contained within is followed up on by our press team:

"The DC Cobras are very disappointed by the poor standard of journalism exhibited by Jim Zebow of ESPN. We have always held that organisation in the very highest of esteem so were very surprised to see one of their employees reporting on unsubstantiated gossip without having the decency to contact us for comment. We therefore announce that Jim Zebow will be banned from all DC facilities and will not be granted access to DC press conferences, players or staff. "

Lolly, would you ask Coach Prince to come and see me please?
-------

Coach, I'm very happy to see how well John Young has slotted back into our attack but he's also starting to highlight the struggles of the other starters. I'm working on trying to find reinforcements but in the meantime, do you think Elrod could be ready to step up to our number 2 WR? If he did, who would you want to replace him in the slot?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: November 25, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »

Its hard to say if he's ready for that or not, but we really won't know unless we give him the chance.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: November 26, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »
Let's give him a shot then. We can't just rely on Young for our passing game and we need to stretch the field to help open up gaps for the run. I'm guessing Myers in the slot and swapping for Young when we move him in there?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: November 26, 2019, 05:03:34 PM »

Right, that's what I think is best.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: November 27, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »
I'm very pleased to see we're once again on the same page then. I'm still working to bring in some more firepower so everything might suddenly change but for now we'll work with this strategy. Thank you Coach.
------

Lolly, could you call Phillip Johnson and Anthony Smith up to see me please?
------

Lads, thanks for coming up to see me. I'm sure you can both guess what this is about. I don't want to put you, Paul, Billy and Reylando in the middle of a fight between me and an upset agent so I want to speak to the two of you before I get on the phone to Mr Ames. The reason it's the two of you is because you're captains of this team and your opinions are important to not only me but to the rest of the lads in that locker room. The story in the news doesn't tell how the college player in questions was disrespecting and insulting 2 current pros during my conversation with him. I should have handled it differently but I'll always stand up for lads who have worked hard and sacrificed much to get to the top of their profession. I tried to give the kid some advice about humility being key to making it as a rookie but we've all seen how he handled that. My stance is normally to never discuss private conversations but I wanted you both to know the full story and I'm happy for you to share that with the rest of the lads. To me it's very important to make sure I'm open with the lads playing for any organisation I manage and it's just as important that they feel they can be open with me. So with that in mind, where do you both stand on that news story?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: November 27, 2019, 06:43:03 PM »

I mean, for me, its not that big of a deal.  I guess as a lineman I'm not having to talk to GM's often, but I don't know what was going on so its not really my business.

Man I don't think anyone has the right to call someone lazy that doesn't know what work they put in. Some one calls me lazy and I'm likely to slap the spit out their face, but that's just me.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: November 28, 2019, 04:10:55 AM »
Hang on, I'm completely with you there but I never called the kid lazy. I don't know where that's coming from but let me make that clear right now. My problem wasn't his work ethic. You can't judge that from one conversation. My problem was that he thought he was too good for his position and his lack of respect for current pros. You know how hard the jump from college is and that's what I pointed out to him. I had the same conversation with Moya when I drafted him but his attitude is fantastic and it shows on the field now. The main point here is that I think we have a great atmosphere in the locker room and a team all pulling together to do something great. I don't want some argument with an agent to ruin that. If there are any issues with players wanting out then I'd like to know now before I pick up the phone.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: November 28, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »

End of the day for me, my agent is my career adviser.  If he tells me I should move on, Imma move on, but until then I'm happy where I'm at. I've got no problem with this team or with you man.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: November 28, 2019, 06:16:53 PM »
I appreciate the honesty. I'm very happy with the way you've settled in here and I'm hoping to see you have a long and successful career in DC. Anthony, I'll be sorting out your contract situation in the next few weeks but it's probably best to let things die down a bit first. Thank you both for coming up to speak to me. I'll let you get back to the rest of the lads to prepare for the visit of Orlando.
-------

Lolly, I guess I'd better speak to David Ames. Could you get him on the phone for me please?
-------

Mr Ames, let's sort this out right now. I'm assuming your client forgot to mention to you that he'd been mouthing off about current pros and disrespected one of your own clients so I understand why you thought you had to protect your lad. I'm always going to stand up for the guys who have worked their arses off for years to get to the top, whether they're on my team or not. If you have an issue with me you know how to get in touch and it's not through the press. I have a team to manage and a big game coming up but you have my ear for the moment. Are you really going to cause problems over some college kid who thinks his name is in the hall of fame already?

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: November 28, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »

I don't know if you're full of it or completely misunderstood what he was saying, but your harsh comments came out of left field for my guy.  He said you asked him to compare himself after you said there weren't any good players at his position in the league.. He told you who he liked, you came back with a name who isn't performing well this year in the yardage category, so he told you why he left him off his list, then said that he saw himself more as a WR than a TE because of his skillset, and you took that as him being an ass hole? 

Again, Im not sure if you're spinning your story to make yourself seem like the victim here or you're just completely obtuse to what was being said from a kid who was excited to talk to you about drafting him, but either way it turned things to shit, and I've got to deal with the ramifications.  Most of which is that I have to assume the worst, and that's why you're on my shit list right now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:55:50 AM by Talon »

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: November 30, 2019, 03:38:36 AM »
Well which sounds more likely to you: that I just went off on one for no reason or that I was standing up for current pros I felt your client was disrespecting? I know which will sound more reasonable to the press, fans and players when I'm asked at my next press conference. Or perhaps it was all a misunderstanding and it can be left as that. I might even be able to keep his name out of the media so it doesn't damage his draft position.  Now I'm sure neither of us want this incident to follow us into next week so I'll assume we're done here and when we next speak it'll be as professionals who are both trying to do right by our players. Thank you for your time Mr Ames. We'll talk again soon.
---------

Strategy changes: Elrod and Myers swap places in all formations
lock in

--Dazz

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: December 03, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »
SEASON 12 - WEEK 8

FOR ACTIVE TEAMS

1. Talk about last weeks game. (typical what went right / wrong depending on a win or loss)

I'm trying very hard not to be angry about that loss. Orlando are a very good team with an elite QB and we did well to restrict them to so few points. It's becoming a regular observation after our games that our defence is playing at a top level and our offence is failing to deliver. Not the whole offence mind you. Johnson and Mixon continue to run the ball very well, Young has been outstanding since his return and Hemsworth is doing well considering this is only his second season playing the game. These lads need help though and they're not getting it. This week we really didn't get any help from the officials. That pass interference call at the end of the game was outrageous. If interceptions are being considered fouls now then we may as well pack all of this up and go play basketball instead. It's ridiculous and we really should be able to challenge terrible calls like that. That said, it should never have come to that. John Young can't be our only threat at WR. It makes it too easy for the opposition to just double up on him and then focus on containing our run game. One of the others needs to start performing at the level we expect because right now it's unacceptable.

2. Talk about the news this week, and ALSO talk about the expansion GM's getting to begin their interview process now.

I see David Ames has been in the press talking about me again. I'm sure you're all waiting for my response but I actually have enough class not to speak about my private conversations in public. I trust he'll continue to do right by his clients and I'll continue to do right by my players and my team. Our relationship is hardly relevant.

This move by the league to let the expansion teams interview our coordinators is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my time working in the HIFL. i defy you to find a single current GM who thinks it's a good idea.

3. Talk about this weeks game and what needs to happen for you to come away with a win.

This week starts a very important run of games for us. We need to get back to winning ways in order to get the season back on track. To do that I need the offence to step up and start performing. Defence wins championships but we need the offence to start giving them some help.

--Dazz

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: December 03, 2019, 10:08:27 PM »

Fucking referees... Yeah it was clearly DPI, but you don't make that call late in the game, you let the damn boys play!