Author Topic: TEAM : DC COBRAS  (Read 83616 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : DC COBRAS
« Reply #1850 on: June 25, 2018, 02:15:15 PM »

I see, it was not very sweet to see us penalized by the league for your infraction, and it was even less sweet to see us spend a 1st and 3rd round pick from next year to acquire a player we clearly could have drafted this past off-season in a much later round, but I hired you to win, and so far we are winning... keep it sweet.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: June 25, 2018, 03:43:03 PM »
That's the plan, Mr Kiss. Thank you for your continued support.
--------

Lolly, could I speak to the new signings please.
--------

Lads welcome to DC! 3 of you I already know. Dodds, it's good to meet you. Don't let the high price tag weigh you down. I paid what I did because I love what you've been doing in St Louis and I think you have a great future. This is the place to realise that. You'll be slotting into the slot to begin with.
As for the rest of you, I am very excited to have you lads working with me again. I wanted to bring each of you here to DC with me when I left Cleveland but Mr Profits is impossible to deal with.
King, I know this is yet another trade for you but this is twice in two years that I've traded to bring you in. I have a lot of faith in you and I know we'll see that player who dominated in college again. Daniel, I think you have a very bright future and I'm hoping to help you realise that. The two of you are unlikely to start this year but you'll get opportunities so I want you both to make the most of those chances when you get them. I know you both well enough to know that you will. I'll have a word with your agents in the coming weeks.
Anthony, it's great to have you here working with me again. I'm looking forward to watching you tear through o-lines again every week. You'll be going straight in on the left opposite Sean Johnson.

Again, welcome all to DC. We have a bright future here and I'm sure you lads will be a big part of it.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: June 25, 2018, 05:49:07 PM »
EVERYONE APPRECIATES YOUR WELCOME AND CLARITY OF THEIR POSITIONS GOING FORWARD

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: June 25, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »
I'll let you all get settled.
------

Lolly, could I see Coach Farmer again please?
------

Coach, first off could you pass on my apologies to Coach Door? I had said I would speak to him again but I've made my decision now. McLaughlin will come in at LDE opposite Johnson. Tipton is still the future here but I want to make the most of this great start now. Other than increasing our aggression on defence, do you see anything we should focus on against Seattle in our next game? I can't really see a pattern in the way they've been playing this season. One week they score 40 and the next it's less than 20.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: June 25, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »

The key to beating them is stopping their run game, that's their money maker.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: June 26, 2018, 03:31:04 AM »
We currently have our line focusing on the pass game, the LBs in coverage and our secondary in man to man, right? I'd want to set the LBs to run support this week but I'd worry about it all becoming a bit disjointed. If we do that would we be better off putting the line in a more balanced focus or do you think it'll work just making the switch to the LBs?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: June 26, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »

The focus switches basically provide a boost in performance (to "some" degree) in the area of focus, so it will not hinder us to have it be a bit disjointed. 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: June 26, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up. We'll just make that change to the LBs then. I'll send the paperwork to you momentarily.
-------

Lolly, I'm getting a little twitchy since the cap violation. Could you confirm my maths please? I have us $250k under our reduced cap and right on the limit of players with 39. I don't want to get another penalty.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: June 26, 2018, 12:59:48 PM »

You are correct sir! 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: June 26, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »
Excellent. Thank you for confirming that for me. Could you see that this gets to Coach Farmer for me please?

Rotation: Mostly Starters
Run:pass ratio: 65:35
Tempo: Normal
Strategy changes: Defensive attitude switch to Aggressive.
LB focus swap to Run Support
Irvin Schofield replaces Lucas Johnson at LOLB
Anthony McLaughlin replaces Taco Tipton at LDE
James Dodds replaces Hightower at WR3
Daniel Roman replaces Andres Henry at WR4
King Carmazzi to QB2, Fred Hatton to QB3

Lock in

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: June 29, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »
S10 WEEK 8

1. Talk us through this weeks game. What went wrong?  What went right?

What can you say about a game like that? That was ugly. That was two teams out there just trying to get through what were some terrible conditions. We were taking on the wind and the rain rather than the Lumberjacks this week. We handled it pretty well and seemed to be in control for long periods of the game but, in the end, mistakes and bad decisions cost us. When you lose the turnover battle you're always going to be fighting uphill. The safety was the difference in the end, which is frustrating. You can't really judge too much from a game like that but there were still things to be positive about. Over 400 yards of offence in those conditions is certainly encouraging and 6.2 yards per carry is bloody impressive.

I suppose I'm going to have to discuss the fieldgoals. What disappoints me most about that is the reaction of a small group of fans who have decided to turn on a legend of this franchise. After all Sasser has given to this team over the years he deserves far better than that. You can't blame him for this loss. As I've already stated, there were numerous factors involved and we all played our own part. We can't keep relying on him to win games for us but I know that the next time we ask him to he'll step up and get it done.

2. Talk about this weeks league news, what stood out most to you? (cover at least two topics)

I think the first thing I need to talk about is the loss of Max Crowe from the HIFL. It's a sad day for the league to see such a passionate and dedicated owner forced to sell up. You can't condone attacking an employee like he did but I can certainly understand it. That franchise was looking at a very promising future before the mismanagement of a series of GMs put it firmly at the foot of the league. I'd not blame Mr Kiss for doing the same if I ran DC into the ground.

The other story I want to cover is David Jordan's win against Kansas this week. He's a kid I drafted with a great attitude and I had very high hopes for him. I think he has a very bright future so it was nice to see him get a well deserved win. I just hope he doesn't get too many more this season.

3. How did you feel about the first annual HIFL/NCAA Showcase?  Do you feel like it was a beneficial addition to the league?

I thought the showcase was a great addition to the league schedule, very entertaining in parts too. It allowed us to take a different slant on scouting and to look at guys we might otherwise have ignored. We saw some lads out there who caught our eye and we'll be looking to focus our scouting more because of it.

4. What was your take on the amount of GM errors that occurred during the bye-week?

I can only really talk about my own error. It was inexcusable and I have already apologised to Mr Kiss for it. I now offer my apologies to the fans and the staff for my carelessness. I usually have controls and systems in place to stop this sort of mistake from happening and I will be looking to strengthen those to make sure this never happens again. In the end though, I think the team came out of that bye week stronger. I brought in a group of lads from Cleveland with whom I have a great working relationship and they'll not only improve our team now but in the coming years too. In James Dodds we've acquired a kid with great prospects. I know people are saying I spent too much to bring him in but I watched his performances at St Louis and he reminds me of Eugene McReynolds. 4-78 and 2 TDs on his debut, 6-94 and 2 TDs in his second game, 3-131 against Rapid City. The fans are going to be very happy with the player we've acquired, I promise them that.

5. Do you plan on making any call ups this week before locking in?

No

6. Talk about your game this upcoming week.

We travel about as far as you can this week to finish the final leg of our 3 game road trip. At least the weather should be better in Miami. I set ourselves a minimum target of 2-1 for this road trip so we're going to have to cut out the errors this week in order to achieve that. Miami are a very talented team and come off the back of an impressive shut-out victory over Tulsa. Duke is a solid QB and they have a great clutch of RBs we'll have to work very hard to contain. Our defence has been pretty stifling recently though so I'm hopeful we'll be able to do exactly that. They keys to this game will be establishing our run, getting out to an early lead and forcing Miami into trying to pass on us. If we can do all of that then I'm confident we'll get the result we're after.

Any further questions?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 30, 2018, 11:08:54 AM »

Good job with the presser, I felt like you really hit all the points we needed to hit.  I think last week is a game we can't harp on too much, it was crazy, the weather made it a toss up, and we have a talented team on the docket for this week we need to focus on.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 30, 2018, 02:34:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't think there's much we can learn from that game. In different conditions I think we would have won that 9 times out of 10. It was just one of those freak games. Let's hope we don't have too many more like that. The turnovers were disappointing though. Rizzo has been pretty reliable for us so far so it's something we'll just keep an eye on for now. I'm hoping having King behind him as competition will help push him on. The one question I do have about this last game is about the decision to go for it on 4th down when we did. What was the thinking behind that?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 01, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »

It was pretty simple. We were winning 13-8, the weather was rough so the FG would have been a 59 yard attempt which was just a little too much for our liking.  If we tried the kick and missed, they get it at the 42.  If we punt it's likely a touchback at that depth, so they get it at the 20, or we go for it... we either continue the drive with momentum, or its the same as the missed FG, and only 22 yards different from the Punt.  In the end it didn't hurt us at all, because they had to try a 58 yard FG of their own and missed. So I think the risk worked out, even though it didn't pay off.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 02, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »
At 4 and 1 or 4 and 2 I'm completely with you. I don't know if the reward is worth the risk at 4 and 4 in that situation. Doesn't really matter if I agree with you or not though. I pay and trust you coaches to make those calls and I'm not going to start second guessing you. I just wanted to understand the thought process there.
Looking ahead to Miami, they seem to be pretty similar in style to Seattle. Very reliant on their run so I think we set up the same way defensively. This is the sort of game I brought McLaughlin in for due to his very impressive TFL figures over the past few years. I saw Tipton out on the field early in the game against Seattle. Was that a match-up thing or is he still set to start in one of our formations?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 02, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »

Just normal rotation to keep everyone fresh.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 02, 2018, 05:02:12 PM »
Right, I think we keep things the same again then. Thank you, Coach.
-------

Lolly, could I speak to Omer Sasser please?
-------

Omer, I won't keep you long. I just wanted to back up what I said to the press. Everyone here knows you're the man for those clutch moments and you'll continue to have our full support. Just chalk this week up as a bad day at the office. I'm going to speak to your agent this week about an extension but if there's anything else we can do for you just let me know.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 02, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »

Thanks boss, I'm glad you squashed that bullshit about me missing on purpose.  That's just ridiculous.  I want to win every game I play, I want to make every kick I take, no way I'm laying down for anybody, ever.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 02, 2018, 05:36:21 PM »
It never crossed my mind once. This is just an example of Twitter at its worst. You still have my complete faith. I'll let you get back to work. Thank you Omer.
-------

Lolly, could you get Amber Molina on the line please?
-------

Ms Molina, it's GM Dazz at DC. I want to talk to you about demonstrating our commitment to you client Omer Sasser. I'd like to offer him a new contract starting S11 for 5 years at double his current package, so $6million and $1million in PR.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 02, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »
DEAL

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 04, 2018, 03:28:41 PM »
Excellent. A pleasure as always, Amber.
------

Lolly, could you get Mike Maker on the phone for me.
------

Mr Maker, it's GM Dazz. I wanted to speak to you about your client King Carmazzi. I know he must be getting sick of being traded but I have a lot of faith in him and wanted to bring him here to develop with us. I would like to extend his current deal by another year and I'll add no trade and no amnesty clauses to his contract so he has that security he's been missing so far in his career. Is this something he'd be interested in?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 05, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »

Lucky for you and Cleveland both, He waived his NTC just to come here.. The last deal you gave him had a No Trade Clause as well.

..but King feels like you really believe in him, so we'll add another year with the NTC/NA clauses attached.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 06, 2018, 03:33:24 AM »
I'm very glad that he did and I won't forget it either. It's a good thing he has you advising him. When I agreed his original contract I had no intention of leaving Cleveland so never foresaw this happening. I know there's a great QB in there waiting to break free and I want to help him do that. When potential starts to become reality you and I will talk again. Thanks Mike.
-------

Lolly, could you ask Corey Rizzo to come and see me.
-------

Corey, that was a tough one out there last week. Ridiculous conditions to be playing in. I know we lost but I thought you handled it well. A bit of luck was all that was needed to turn that loss into a win. I've liked the way you've led the team so far this year. How are you feeling in the current setup?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 06, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »

That was definitely a tough game but honestly boss, that's the kind of game we live for.  Fighting in the mud and the rain, clawing and scratching. ..It definitely disappoints to come out on the losing side, but this isn't baseball, we play in whatever mother nature throws at us.  As for the team, I am DC through and through, love the team, love the city, love the fans.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 07, 2018, 08:07:32 PM »
Excellent, that's just want I want to hear. If you play to the ability I know you have the city and the fans will love you in return. What they really want to see from their players is a desire to be the best and that you've left it all out there on the field. You all definitely did that last week. Keep working hard and there will be a lot more victories than losses. Thanks for your time. Could you take this down to Coach Farmer for me when you head back to practice please?

Rotation: Mostly Starters
Run:pass ratio: 65:35
Strategy changes: None

Lock in

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: July 13, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
S10 WEEK 9

This week really was a game of two halves. To be honest, I put this loss down to the schedule. Away at Seattle in the far northwest one week and then away at Miami in the extreme southeast this week. You can't travel further than that. We started slowly and I don't think that's too unexpected after that journey. We do our best as GMs to put our team in the best position to win but sometimes the League office makes that harder than it needs to be. I'm very proud of the way the team rallied in the second half. We almost pulled it back but just gave ourselves too much to do.

2. Give us an evaluation of the first half of the season for your team, who has stood out both good and bad?

The first half of the season has been pretty good. You certainly can't complain about a 5 week winning run. I'd say we're about where we expected to be at this stage. The o-line has been outstanding so far. As for the bad, I can't think of anyone. Look, this is a very young team with new coaches and new systems. It will take time to adapt but we've set ourselves up well with a strong foundation to build upon.

3. With where you sit in the standings, how do you feel about your chances of meeting your owners expectations and how do you grade your performance as GM, what about your job security?

I think we look very good for meeting the key objectives set by the owner. My own goals are always more ambitious and it's to those standards that I'll judge the team. I'd give myself a C so far. We have the players and coaches to be a dominant force in the years to come, however that's tarnished by my bye week error. That said, we got one hell of a player as part of all of that.

4. Who is your league-wide Mid-season MVP?  Who has been the most surprising under performer?

MVP has to be Anthony Smith. He's having another hall of fame season for us. Most disappointing has to be Carr. He revitalised St Paul last year but seems to be struggling for form this season.

5. Which of your division rivals has surprised you the most? How and Why?

St Paul have been surprisingly poor. I expected them to be top of the division but they're struggling. It does look like things could turn for them soon though.

6. With the Trade Deadline coming up this week, Do you see yourself as a buyer, a Seller, or do you plan to hold fast with what you have?

I'm done for trading unless I'm made an offer I can't refuse.

7. What is your opinion on the league's newly announced luxury tax rule, do you believe it is fair, and do you believe it will benefit the league?

It's about bloody time the league did something to correct their own mistake.

8. Talk about your game this upcoming week, what do you need to focus on most?

This one is absolutely vital for us to win. We need to look after the ball better than we have been and we need to get some pressure on the QB. Turnovers are key. You have to win that battle to do well in this league. Do these things and we win.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 13, 2018, 03:09:50 PM »

GM Dazz, we've spoken recently, but despite your faux pas that got us into a bitter tasting mess, the rest of our season is on pace to reach my goals I set out for you at the start of the season.  It's still so so Sweet to be a Cobra here in Chocolate City, so lets go out there and get back on track and climb the ladder in this division.  We have the Championship experience, we have the talent, and we have the leadership to win, so lets go win.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 13, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
That is the plan, Mr Kiss. We've had a couple of disappointing losses lately but I already know the tweaks I want to make to correct that. It's just a bloody shame losing to Seattle was one of those. The rest of our goals are the absolute minimum I'll be accepting from this team though. There's a very bright future here and I'm pleased I still have your confidence to guide us there. Thank you.
-------

Lolly, could I see Coaches Farmer, Door and Thompson please?
-------

That loss was pretty easy to explain. Turnovers, plain and simple. It's starting to annoy me that we give up so many and yet force so few. Coach Thompson, you're a running back man. I'm sure you've taught a lot of RBs how to hold onto the ball. I know QBs aren't your area of expertise but could you please find a way to teach Rizzo how to hold onto the football. If that means him carrying it around everywhere he goes that's fine. Whatever it takes to get him to stop dropping it. Beyond that, we're doing a great job of gaining yards but a poor job of converting those into points. This past week we had over 400 yards of offence but only 21 points. Last week, over 400 yards and 13 points. Against the Lynx it was over 400 yards and only 19 points. This week New Jersey only had 360 yards and scored 52 points... 1 point less than we scored with over 1200 offensive yards. Part of the problem is not exploiting our opportunities when we get them, and we need to address that, but the other issue is that we're giving our offence too much to do to get to the endzone. We're having to drive 80 yards, 90 yards to score a touchdown instead of 40 yards or 50 yards and it makes a huge difference. This leads me back into the point about turnovers. Turnovers don't just change the momentum of a game but they give much better field position. We need to find a way to improve that side of our game and we need to be putting more pressure on the opposing backs.

At the moment we have one of those bend but don't break defences. We're not giving up big scores and we're staying competitive in every game we play. We're also gaining a lot of offensive yards per game. These are very encouraging things and a great base to build from. I think we're in a position to take more risks though. Right now our team seems to be split in 2. We have a defence that's doing a solid job and an offence that's doing a solid job. What we need is a single team that are all working together for the same goals. This is how my teams play football. The defence needs to help us to score points by getting us shorter fields and even contributing some TDs of their own. Our offence needs to help the defence by giving them some breathing room, keeping control of the ball and by wearing down the opposition.

Now all of this is very easy to say. How do we make all of that a reality? I open the floor to all three of you to voice your ideas. Just two things, I don't want to hear any excuses or see any fingers being pointed.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 13, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »
THE ROOM REMAINS PRETTY SILENT AS NOBODY HAS AN ANSWER

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 14, 2018, 03:14:12 AM »
I can't pretend I'm not disappointed. We have the players here to do exactly what I've described. We have two of the best defensive players in Glass and Stevens and some very talented support in Jeffries, Sean Johnson and McLaughlin and yet we're not getting the best out of them... apart from Stevens. We seem to be leaving the defending to him. We need to do our bit to put these lads in the best position to perform. We seem to be reacting defensively rather than forcing our game on the opponent. Don't get me wrong, we're not playing badly but it's time we were more proactive. We're 8 games in now so the excuse that we're still adapting to our changes sounds pretty weak now.

Tell me about the blitz ratios.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 14, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »

20% on 1st down, 28% on 2nd down, 21% on 3rd and short, 28% on 3rd and long.  24% on 4th and short, 28% on 4th and long. 27% on the goal line, 21% with the lead late in the game, 59% when trailing in the last 2 mins.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 14, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
That all sounds very conservative. We can definitely take more of a risk than that. I trust our secondary to match up 1 on 1 with most teams out there. How high would you be comfortable with taking those ratios? If I said add 15% to the base ratio and adjust the rest up on that basis, using your judgement, would that sound reasonable to you?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 14, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »

We can do that, and we can be more aggressive overall if you want, we have been playing a more conservative style overall this season, if you want us to get aggressive, we'll do it.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 14, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
I definitely think it's worth giving that a go. The defence has been fine so far this year and the entire defensive coaching staff deserves credit for it. I just think we could get more out of this group of players. Let's up the aggression and see if we can put some more pressure on the opposition. Can I leave the details of that with you?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 14, 2018, 09:30:22 PM »

Yes sir, and if we don't get the result we want I can keep tweaking it a bit the next week.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 15, 2018, 03:52:18 AM »
Excellent, thank you Coach Door.

Coach Thompson, who on the offence is best suited to returning punts? I'd rather not have Glass doing it if we have someone else suitable.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 15, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »

I'd have to say the fools best suited for that would be Dodds and Johnson.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 15, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
We'll use Dodds as the primary punt receiver then and have Johnson back him up.

Do you agree with my assessment of our offensive problems? Too many fumbles and simply having too far to have to drive downfield to score our touchdowns. Or is this a red zone issue?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 15, 2018, 12:43:41 PM »

We've lost some fumbles, which is a damn shame, but I think you're right, just hard to say since I can't go look at any data to verify field position vs. red zone, fool.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 15, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
We'll just make these changes for now then and see if they make the difference then. Overall I think we're doing well but I have very high hopes and expectations for this team. Thank you all for your input. I will let you get down to training. I'm sure I've given you all a lot to work on this week.
-------

Lolly, could i see Coach Brewster please?
-------

Coach, I hope you don't feel left out after not being called in with the others. The truth is, yours is the only part of this team that has been exceeding my expectations. Our o-line has been excellent all season and I'm sure much of that is down to the work you've been putting in. How are you feeling about things this year?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: July 15, 2018, 03:40:43 PM »

I definitely believe we have one of the best offensive line's in the game. Morris has shown some great improvements on the right side, and everyone else has been as solid as we had expected.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 15, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »
That's all we can ask really. You and those lads have been doing a great job and I think the midway point is a good time to pass that on.

I did want to ask you about the offence as a whole. What is your view on why we're not turning our dominance into points?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: July 15, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »

I'm not sure boss.  Rizzo's been great, Tank's been great, the offensive line has been great.. it just doesn't add up.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 16, 2018, 03:29:08 AM »
No, it really doesn't. Thanks for your time, Coach. I'll let you get back to it. Could you take this sheet down with you please?

Rotation: Mostly starters
Run:Pass ratio: 65:35
Strategy changes: Dodds to return punts, Christopher Johnson to be assigned as PR2.
Base blitz ratio to increase 15%, other blitz rates to increase at the coaches' discretion.
Increase aggression on defence as discussed.
Lock in

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: July 21, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »
S10 WEEK 10

Before I answer your questions I'd like to respond to something I heard in the GM press conferences last week. Apparently, I'm very disappointing here in DC and GM Jon seems to think that I have ruined his team. I'm really surprised that he decided to make the comments he did last week and I bet he's regretting them now after that shambolic display against Tulsa. Apparently we haven't capitalised on playing in a weak division either. I suppose going 4-1 against your division rivals, sitting one w behind top spot in the conference and on the same record as Jon's Seattle team is pretty disappointing. I expect better of my teams but we have plenty of time to make up for these things. As an aside, at the point Jon was traded out of here his DC Cobras were 4-4 and on their way to missing the playoffs for the second year running. I don't know why, after only beating us by 1 point at home in freak conditions, he thought he had the right to sit so smugly there in Seattle. I have to admit, I did take a lot of satisfaction in seeing the Tulsa game this week. I still hope Seattle make the Impact Bowl as I would love it, absolutely love it, if we had the opportunity to knock Jon off his perch on the biggest stage of all.

It was another game in extreme conditions this week but hey, don't we all love football in the snow? These games are a real battle and it comes down to who has the heart and the ground game to come out on top. When those are the criteria for a victory we're always going to be favourites. 216 yards on the ground is something else and seeing Tank get 138 of them off 28 carries was a pleasure to watch. He should be going to the all-star game.
We made a few adjustments to the way our defence operates and it seemed to have an impact this week, which is obviously very pleasing. We stifled a Music City offence that is capable of big scores and the penetration we were getting throughout the game was better than it has been. I still would like to see improved numbers in our forced turnovers but I'm sure that will improve as the changes bed in.
As for what went wrong, I can point to 5 things... fumbles. It's a bad habit that seems to be getting worse every week and something we need to stamp out immediately.

2. With the All-Star Rosters being announced this week, what is your take on the composition, any snubs or surprises from your own team?

I like the look of the East, though there are some obvious names missing from the roster. From our team I would like to have seen Mixon, Houser and McLaughlin or Sean Johnson on the team. I think all of those guys have done enough to deserve it. Dale Hardaway is probably the other name I think has been overlooked by GM Kirk. He's a hell of a player, a great leader and would have been an asset to GM Kirk's team.
Obviously I want to congratulate the lads who did make the team. Anthony, Makai, Larry and Alfred all deserve this recognition and I am proud of each one of them.

3. What news stories stood out to you this week?

The big stories that jump out from this week are the GMs well and truly on the hotseat. GM Black Death's sacking has to have a few people getting a little twitchy in their office chairs. The rumours are swirling around Pancho at the moment, but I think that's a little unfair. He's done very good things with Alabama and they are still a team you don't particularly look forward to playing against. After failing in the playoffs twice he had to change something and he decided to make drastic changes. I respect that, I mean I'm doing that myself here in DC. It's a big risk but had it gone well he'd be hailed a genius. I think the players have let him down so far this season and I hope the owner there can understand that.
The other news I want to touch on is The Cotter and McReynolds refusing to play in the All-Star game. I managed both of these guys and they were model professionals for me in Cleveland. Yes, I said that about The Cotter. These guys are up there with the best so the All-Star game will definitely miss them. I have to say I am very disappointed in both and I hope they use their free week to think about what being called up means to their team and their fans. I have huge respect for both players but they've let themselves down here.

4. Talk about your game this upcoming week, what do you need to focus on most?

This week we host Lincoln, one of the surprise packages of last season. I love what they're doing over there and I still think that's a team that will only grow in stature as the players mature. The lack of experience is what causes their inconsistency but they have the ability to match anyone in the league. We'll have to be at our best to come away with the victory. The key is going to be disrupting Bloom and keeping him off his rhythm while isolating Hodge as much as possible. If we can do that defensively I'm confident we can score enough against them to win the game.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 21, 2018, 07:32:59 PM »

Good to claw out a win in tough conditions this week.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 23, 2018, 03:18:59 AM »
We needed a win to keep in touch at the top of the division, particularly with Lincoln next up. 5 fumbles though. Absolutely unacceptable. Tell me about those.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 23, 2018, 11:17:20 PM »

Well you see...

COACH UNEXPECTEDLY HURLS A LARGE FROZEN BLOCK OF ICE AT GM DAZZ, THE GM STRUGGLES TO CATCH IT DUE TO ITS COLD, HARD, AND SLIPPERY NATURE.. THE BLOCK FALLS AND SHATTERS ON THE FLOOR LEAVING WET DEBRIS EVERYWHERE. ...IN THAT MOMENT YOU REALIZE THE DIFFICULTY OF HOLDING ONTO THE BALL WHEN IT IS A BIG FROZEN ICE CUBE...

...Mixon fumbled once, Johnson fumbled twice, Rizzo fumbled once, and then in the last seconds Whaley fumbled.. it was cold and tough to hang onto the ball, just part of the weather we've had to deal with this year.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 24, 2018, 03:22:22 PM »
At least they weren't all on one or two players. I see your point but the problem I have is that we had 5 times the number of fumbles our opponents had. They we're playing in the exact same conditions. I'm not interested in excuses, I'm interested in solutions. This is a problem that spans more than 1 game. We got away with it this week but it cost us the previous week. Is this something we can work on in training or are we just going to have to live with it this season?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:21 PM »

I'm not sure how we would correct it right now, I don't think there is an easy answer.