Author Topic: TEAM : TOMBSTONE OUTLAWS  (Read 128751 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
TEAM : TOMBSTONE OUTLAWS
« on: October 12, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »

Team Information
City: Tombstone, AZ
 Conference: West
Division South
Team Owner: Big Al Crowley
Team Secretary: Melissa Rosario

Official Colors:

Blue (#003594)
Sliver (#7F9695)

Team History:
Owned by Arizona bail bondsman, Big Al Crowley, the Tombstone Outlaws got off to a hot start finishing tied with Long Beach for the best record in the league in Season 1 (10-6).  They picked up a 31-24 win over Pearl Harbor to advance to the Conference Championship game, but took a beating in a 32-17 loss to Long Beach. In Season 2 the Outlaws saw a regression, finishing 8-8 which was good enough for the #3 seed in the playoffs but they suffered a 31-13 against eventual champion Las Vegas in the first round of the playoffs.  In Season 3 The once #1 ranked offense in the league hit rock bottom falling all the way to 12th in the rankings.  Averaging only 12 points per game and only 300 yards per game on offense.  The terrible offense lead the team to a league record 1-15 record, the worst season for any team to date. This lead the team to make a drastic change, trading season 1 and 2 league MVP Jose Mackey to the already loaded Alabama Nighthawks for two players, two first round picks (S4 and S5) and a S4 Second Round pick.  The haul immediately paid dividends as the team would go 7-9 to return to the playoffs.
The S4 draft brought several great draft picks to the team to solidify their young core.
number 1 overall pick Curt Robles (RB) was named to the pro bowl and won offensive rookie of the year honors after rushing for 1266 yards and 9 TDs in 13 games. (603 yards receiving for 6TDs)
the final pick in the first round (12) was used on linebacker Steve Wright who won Defensive Rookie of the Year honors after he started all 16 games and made 104 tackles with 2 forced fumbles, 1 sack and 2 interceptions. The first pick in the second round was then used on Andrew Espino who started all 16 games for the Outlaws catching 63 balls for 781 yards and 2 touchdowns. They also picked up linebacker Raymond Roby in the 3rd round, Roby started all season as well making 79 tackles and intercepting 1 pass with a return for a touchdown. These pieces, paired with 23 year old former first round draft pick QB Caleb Smoak gives the Outlaws a great young offensive core to build on for the future.  In his first full season as a starter, Smoak threw for 3483 yards for 25 touchdowns with 15 Interceptions.   Smoak is however entering the last year of his contract, giving the new incoming GM a tough decision to make.

Season 1: 10-6
Season 2: 8-8
Season 3: 1-15
Season 4: 7-9
Season 5: 8-7-1 [GM Powers]
Season 6: 10-5-1 [GM Powers]
Season 7: 10-6 [GM Powers]
Season 8: 12-4 [GM Powers / GM Justin]
Season 9: 2-13-1 [GM Justin]
Season 10: 3-13-0 [GM Barry Wayne]

Playoff Appearances:
S1 (Conference Finals)
S2 (Conference Semi)
S4 (Conference Semi)
S5 (Conference Semi)
S6 (Impact Bowl)
S7 (Conference Finals)
S8 (Conference Semis)

RETIRED NUMBERS:
None
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:27:21 PM by Talon »
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : TOMBSTONE OUTLAWS
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »

Well hello. Al Crowley at your service, but you can call me Big Al.  I own this here team, but I've got a busy schedule, trackin' down these clients who don't pay you see.. I'm not a very "hands on" kinda man, so I'm lookin' for a smart General Manager who can take the young players we have here and capitalize on their abilities.  If I'm not getting phone calls about bad issues in the media blowin' up into national news, I'm a happy man.  I'll make my money with my Bail Bonds work and continue to enjoy having football to watch on Sundays... Plain and Simple, if you're a GM who can run a team and fix problems before they get to big, this is the place for you.

...Well, he pretty much said it all.  If you're interested, apply today.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:56:44 AM by Talon »

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
  • All books are children's books if the kid can read
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 03:46:57 AM »
Mr, Crowley it is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Mike Powers, and I believe that I am the man to guide Tombstone to the playoffs and, ultimately, a Championship.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I have extensive experience as a General Manager, first in the FBL, and also in the now defunct NBL. I've managed small and large market teams alike. I've managed superstar athletes, such as Yablo Yabla in the FBL, and Hank Ramsey in the NBL, and have helped to develop young talent as well. I have taken more than one trip to the post season.

What does that add up to? A man with a large resume, and a wide selection of experience to fall back on. I won't be making any rookie mistakes, or mistakes with the salary cap...if I'm being honest, I've been there and done that. You'll be getting a focused GM, who not only knows  the RIGHT moves to make, but also the WRONG moves to avoid.

Sir, when I heard that the NBL was closing, I was heartbroken. I felt as if I was on the cusp of greatness in LA. But, when I heard about the newly invigorated HIFL, my excitement nearly overwhelmed me. You see, I may love baseball and basketball....but my passion, the one sport that rises above all others, is football.

Mr. Crowley, I have the knowledge, the drive, and the experience that you need. That The Outlaws need. Give me the keys to the kingdom, and I promise you, you will NOT regret it.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »

Well Mr. Mike Powers, it surely is a pleasure to have you here in my office. The fact that you are one of the most experienced General Managers on the market is a very comforting fact, and I do believe that you have seen enough things to know what is right and what is wrong, but let me ask you this one thing... How do I know you will commit to this team long term?  I do believe I have seen on more than one occasion that you have left your team for greener pastures, taking some pretty hefty talent with you in the process, do I really want to risk you leaving us high and dry, taking Robles and Wright with you as you ride off into the sunset?

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:13:07 PM »
That is a valid concern for you to have, based on my history. I don't blame you one bit for having that opinion of me. I seem to have earned it.

Remember when I said that I know what moves NOT to make? Jumping ship to a new team, is HIGH on that list. I realize that all that glitters is truly not gold Mr. Crowley. I understand now that the absolute key to success in the HIFL, or any league for that matter, is stability. If you have stability at the top, it trickles down throughout the organization.

I want to be your GM. Today, tomorrow, and until the day I retire. The ONLY team I want on my resume from the HIFL is the Tombstone Outlaws.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »

Well those are some mighty fine words you have said there Mr. Mike Powers. 

Do you have any questions for me regarding our team's current roster?

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
What can you tell me about Robles? Is he more of a power, or finesse back?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »

Mr. Curt Robles is a man I like to call a "all in one" kind of guy Mr. Powers.

He has blazing speed, cat-like agility, and enough strength to break tackles. He's the definition of an every down back, he could use some training to improve his catching ability, but as far as a runner goes, he is worth his #1 overall draft pick status. He did miss a few games as a rookie, but hopefully that isn't something we continue to see in the future.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
Why did he miss those games? Is it a durability issue?

One idea I'd have would be to draft/bring in a power back, one whose job it is to hit the line and wear down the defense, and allow Robles to avoid taking those big hits. Robles would then be able to get into open spaces for big gains. Robles would be the feature back, but have a bit of wear and tear removed.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

Well you see Mr. Powers, Mr. Robles missed one game due to the flu and two more later due to a hyper extended knee.  I hope durability is not an issue, but it's too early to tell at this stage of his career, as for a power back, you might not need to look far, you see we have a gentleman under contract by the name of Fusco, Lawrence Fusco.  6'1 225 lbs and strong as a bull.  He's not fast, but he is an emotional player who has an amazing work ethic, he may be the most competitive man on the team, and I do believe he is second to none in the sportsmanship department..

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
That sounds perfect for what I'd want to do.

Tell me, in your opinion, what is the teams biggest weakness right now?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »

Well Mr. Powers I don't have to think long or hard about that one, it is clear to me that our Wide Receiver core is lacking playmakers.  We have 4 WR's under contract and none of them are graded to be above average. 32 year old Kevin Meeks had 36 catches for 485 yards and 4 TDs, Our 23 year old 2nd round picks John Flynn  and Andrew Espino had 4 catches for 47 yards and 63 catches for 781 yards with 2 TDs, and 25 year old Gregorio Adame only had 2 catches last season.  Espino is our only potential star, but right now he is a no. 2 WR at best.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
Fortunately Tombstone finds itself in an enviable position. A pair of 1st round draft picks. Either through the draft proper, or by trading the pick for an established guy, there's no reason we can't improve at the receiver position.

Mr. Crowley, you've addressed your concerns with my history, we've talked briefly about the offensive strategy....do you have any further questions for me?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »

I think I've heard all I need to hear, I'll be back with you shortly Mr. Powers.

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 219
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
Mr. Crowley,

Before you make a decision on the future of your franchise, allow me to speak with you. I am GM Gravedigger, and I'd like to be in consideration for your general manager position.

I was born and raised in the Tombstone area, and would enjoy a homecoming of sorts. I prefer a fast paced offense and an aggressive defense.

If you have any questions for me please do not hesitate to ask.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »

Well Mister Gravedigger, first question I would have for you is simple.  Why did you leave Salt Lake for The big city lights of New York?

GM Gravedigger

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 219
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
My first big break in life was signing a contract with Code Red Wrestling, which was based in New York. Going back there was a professional homecoming of sorts.

When it comes to NBL I look at my time with Salt Lake more fondly. Two playoff appearances for a team I build from the ground up.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »

...and then stripped of talent on your run for the hills.

You see my dilemma here Mr. Gravedigger is simple.  We are a small market team in the middle of the desert, I am looking for a GM who will stick with us and commit to not just getting the team into a championship game one day, but winning it.  It's not a one year job, its not a job I can offer years of guarantees for, but its a job that requires a loyal man.  What can you do to show me you're a loyal man, and not one who will run to the first large market team that tries to dangle a carrot in front of your face?

GM Gravedigger

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 219
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
Offer me an Iron Clad contract. If you sign me, I can only work for you as long as the contract goes or you fire me. I will sign that deal right now.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »

A mighty fine idea, but before we get into those types of talks Mr. Gravedigger, what type of team would you put together for me here in Tombstone?

GM Gravedigger

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 219
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
I want to run a fast paced offense, which can be accomplished through passing or rushing, along with an aggressive defense that uses a high amount of pressure.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »

From what you've seen of our roster, do you think you can do that now, or do you need time to fit the team to your system?

GM Gravedigger

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 219
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »
I think the offense could be ready to go fast paced, but we may need to address the defense more to play a high pressure system.

Robles is a great building block for the offense. He could be a future MVP.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 07:03:37 PM »
Mr. Crowley, may it add something for your consideration?

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »
Excuse me, may I add something for your consideration? Stupid allergies...

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »

Well by all means Mr. Powers... The floor is yours.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 08:20:48 PM »
I've been thinking about our conversation thusfar, and I believe I have identified a strong concern of yours. Consistency. As a small market team, consistency is paramount to success here. Homegrown talent is what will make Tombstone a winner, while the "big names" will seek the limelight and payday of the large markets.

My history has good sides and bad. The good is the experience that I bring, as we discussed. The bad side is my bad habit of "raiding the cupboard" so to speak. It is a reputation that I've earned, unfortunately. I know I've given you my word that it won't happen again, but I think you'll sleep a little better with a guarantee tucked under your pillow at night.

So, when we sign a deal to bring me to Tombstone, I will sign a rider which states that I am completely unable to trade any player/assets to my "new team", in the unlikely event that we part ways.

Understand, I have no intention of ever leaving, so at the end of the day the clause is moot. But, as I said, it is that little piece of security that will allow you to rest easy, knowing your talent is safe.

Also, I realize we discussed offense, but not defense. I prefer a 3-4 defense with a strong pass rush, to keep the offense pressured and on their toes. I am also a firm believer in fundamentals. I want my players to wrap and tackle the ball carrier, not try and lay some sort big hit on them to get on highlight reels. Too often that hit misses, and it leads to 6 points.

I hope, with this additional information in tow, you choose to make me GM of the Outlaws.

GM Gravedigger

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 219
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : TOMBSTONE OUTLAWS [HIRING]
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:42 PM »
Did you get another call?

If you need more information I'd love to keep discussing this job opening.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »

Sorry Mr. Gravedigger, but we're going with GM Mike Powers.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »

Mr. Powers, you're our man, I will sign you to the deal saying you won't take our talents with you if you ever decide to cut and run, welcome to the OK Corral.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
Damn glad to be here! Me and you should go get ourselves a drink to celebrate! First, do you mind if I bend your ear about the rest of the team?

I see Smoak is coming off his first full season as starter with impressive numbers, albeit a few too many INTs. Going into a contract year, what's your feeling on the kid?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 11:14:34 PM »

Well Mr. Powers, I have a little special jar of moonshine from the hills of Eastern Kentucky, I'll poor us a glass while I tell you what I think of Mr. Caleb Smoak. I believe he is worth re-signing, he is the youngest of the QB's I consider to be "elite" or on the road to being Elite. I don't think we could replace him via trade or free agency, so it'd be best to bring him back.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »
From Kentucky eh? I know a guy that works in Kentucky. I believe he farts rainbows and pisses champagne. Seriously, the guy does nothing wrong. But I digress....

To the Outlaws!

GM POWERS ACCEPTS THE MOONSHINE, EYES GOING WIDE AS HE DRINKS

......smooth......

~COUGHS~

Anyways.....re-signing Smoak seems like the pertinent thing to do. I'll work on it as soon as I'm able.

Mr. Crowley, I don't want to take up all of your time. If you've got nothing pressing, I'd like to keep talking to you about our offense....the line and tight ends specifically....but if you're busy, I can always speak to Miss Callie about it.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »

I'm fine discussing things with you, what did you want to know?

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »
Well, you've given me your thoughts, and an overview of our QB, WRs, and backfield. Tell me about our TEs and O-line.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 12:25:49 AM »

We have 1 Tight end, Gene Williams (25), He has started for us since coming over from St. Paul in S3.  He had 85 catches for 796 yards and 7 touchdowns last year. He has terrific hands and decent speed.

Our offensive line is average, we have 2 guards 2 centers and 1 tackle under contract, I'll give you more information when I give you a pre-free agency team sheet.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 12:28:56 AM »
Fair enough, I'll wait for that report. One last question for you. What percentage of the teams profits do you see yourself allocating back to the team?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 12:30:17 AM »

All that information will be in your off season packet, Mr. Powers.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 12:32:39 AM »
Alright, I think I'll just wander around until I find my office, get a feel for the place. Thank you for your time and for hiring me. We'll speak again soon.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »

Until next time, the pleasure is all mine Mr. Powers.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 12:17:54 AM »

Here is the current roster, all contract years go into effect at the start of Season 5.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:18:19 AM by Talon »

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »
Let's get this party started. Can I speak with John Rudino please?

John, we're looking for a head coach here in Tombstone. Tell me why that man is you.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »

Hey there GM Powers, let me tell you something, I'm a coach who looks for Grinders aye kay aye players who play  hard nosed football with good fundamentals, although I gotta tell ya, a 12 in grinder from Jimmy Johns sounds good right about now.  I've coached a lot  football, not just on defense, but all over the field.  I like a good balanced offense and a cover 2 defense that has good safety and linebacker play.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »
Do you prefer a 3-4 or a 4-3? What's your philosophy on blitzing?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 01:54:19 PM »

4-3 w/ Cover 2, not much blitzing, my cover 2 zone is big on coverage and linebacker's playing pass defense.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
That's not exactly what I had in mind in terms of defense, but when a coach of your caliber falls into my lap, I'd be stupid to let you walk away. How does 3 years, $6.5 million sound?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »

You got yourself a deal, Mike and let me tell ya... I can work with anyone, if you want a DC who runs your style of defense, I'll make it happen, I'm just better with the Cover 2 man.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »
Great to know, and great having a Head Coach as flexible as you are! I'll fax over the paperwork now!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »

Cool.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9011
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Miss Callie, can I speak with Marion Ridley please?

Marion, we're looking for a Defensive Coordinator here in Tombstone.  Sell me on why you're the man for the job.