Author Topic: TEAM : LAS VEGAS SCORPIONS  (Read 120160 times)

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : LAS VEGAS SCORPIONS
« Reply #2700 on: May 21, 2019, 11:05:41 PM »
Agreed - I loved to see the fire from Jose though and how our team rallied to come back. Anything of note from that? We're going to need Jose to protect the ball this week against Tulsa's secondary.

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
  • Bringing the Thunder since 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: May 22, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »

I hear you, but he's not exactly known for his ball security.  As far as last week, Jose and I had some healthy and spirited debate about what to say and do about our receivers this week, but I'm not a "my way or the highway" guy, so I don't mind guys speaking their minds.  He's a winner, and I think lately he's realizing he was getting too slack, and now he's turning it back on.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: May 23, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »
I understand. I think we'll have a talk and see where that goes but otherwise I think we're good to go for this week. One more week and we should be healthy again. Knock on wood.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: May 23, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »

Looks like it.  I know our medical facility has helped guys get back on track faster than they would've in other situations, but we've definitely had a rough year with injuries.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: May 23, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »
Sounds good. I'll talk to Jose and then we'll be good to go.
---
Jose Pruitt please Demi.
---
Jose, wanted to commend the 4th quarter last week and bringing us back. I also want to let you know that I appreciate the competitive fire you're showing in helping us turn this season back around. You've brought that winning edge the last couple of weeks and I don't want to do anything to tone that down. Tulsa's got a good secondary but with you at the helm I like your chances this week.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: May 23, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »

Man I'll be the first to admit, this year I got a little lazy, hell maybe it started last year, but since I got traded here, I've realized I need to play like I was when I was hungry to prove I was better than what the league thought I was. Now I see other guys doing the same thing, and I want to motivate them to be their best, it might come off harsh sometimes, but man I know what it looks like when a guy comes out of his cut sloppy or isn't running hard.. so I'm gonna call them on it. We have to be all in to win, period.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: May 23, 2019, 09:39:53 PM »
That's what I want to hear and I want that attitude to permeate through this team. I think we've got the right room that that sort of accountability is going to be something that's a strength for us.

Keep it up Jose. You've got my full confidence.
---
Demi, we're ready. Bring on Tulsa.

LOCK IN

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: May 27, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
1. Discuss your final game of the regular season.
Obviously it didn't end the way we wanted. We had our own fate in our hands and we didn't execute and we'll be watching the playoffs from home because of it. I do want to address Shawn Simon's comments about Harris McKeown though. Harris is a competitor and that game was a must win for us. He plays hard and this is a contact sport and Shawn Simon's a great competitor. He's a big body outside and getting him to the ground is difficult. If you just try and arm tackle him he's going to run right through it. If he wants to complain about being injured he should be looking in the mirror asking why he was going for personal records, rather than team achievements, or going to GM Digger and asking why the hell he was put in the firing line in a meaningless game. Same thing with Stephen Leake being on the shelf now. Veteran players are going to take note of the choice GM Digger made I believe.

2. What was the most memorable win of the year for you?
The St. Paul game. I don't think you'll see anything quite like that again.

3. Which loss stands out or stings the most?
The last one hurts the most - especially the way it ended.

4. Do you think you could have done anything differently this season to better your standings?
Hindsight's 20/20. I think every year I have the same answer that there's lots of things we could've done differently during the year unless you won the Impact Bowl. That being said we'll take those lessons and try and learn from them and come back better than ever next season.

5. Who was your teams MVP this year?
Gordon Goulet was dominant all year for us on defense. He made a ton of big plays. Was a leader in our locker room. When you think of a football player I think Gordon Goulet is kind of the proto-type.

6. How do you grade your coaches performances this season?
I think we did a lot of good work. Saw some players take big leaps forward. Losing Coach Graham hurt but I do believe that having Coach Hoffman on our staff this year really helped us as well. He provided some valuable insight and is an excellent football coach. He comes with my highest recommendation.

7. Grade your own performance, how did this season compare to others (if applicable)
We came into the season thinking we were an Impact Bowl contender and we missed the playoffs. That's an F grade right there. Period.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: May 27, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »

Losing that way.. THAT way.  That was ridiculous.  Jose was livid obviously, but between the high snap, and then a breakdown in protection.. yeah, we gift wrapped that one. 

Credit to their punter, he pinned us a few times and it finally cost us.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: May 27, 2019, 06:28:17 PM »
Yeah - special teams can win games. I'm not going to lie - I'm trying to balance my anger right now with that game versus the fact that we should've never been in that position in the first place. 3 OT losses, a last minute field goal, and then this game this year. I do think we need to take a look at the team though - a few thoughts from my perspective.

1) Jose looked good for us for the most part but we never seemed to go over the top. Outside of St. Paul, week to week, our performance was the same whether we threw the ball 50 times or 30 times. I am thinking next season of being a little more balanced on offense. I don't know where the percentages lie but I'm thinking between 25-35% runs which I think is more in line with what you had in DC.

2) I am still leaning towards being young at running back. I liked Smith down the stretch for us and I do think there's some underrated players out there. I did want to ask about Jarrett Corbett and see whether you see him as being someone who'd work as a backup for us or if we want to go elsewhere. I'm also looking at his value in the locker room as well. For our 3rd running back spot I am thinking of having someone who will be primarily a special teams player for us, but might be fun to have with on offense for a half dozen plays a game with his speed.

3) I love our wide receivers and I'm going to try and bring both Fowler and Ponder back. I liked Bobbitt as our "#1" but want to make sure you're happy with our setup. Obviously if I could add Michael Hodge or someone like that I would but I don't see us chasing this one.

4) I think our o-line is going to change a lot. I like Fenner and Pleasant as tackles but I think our interior could improve. Jones is likely a backup for us but I wanted to ask about Ham, Wampler and Esparza and see if any stood out to you or were guys we'd like to keep for their role in the locker room.

5) Defensively - I think it will depend on who we bring in as a co-ordinator but I do like the system we've been running here. The hybrid look allows us to match up well with other teams I think and with the difference in our division allowing us to mix and match is important. I think I'm going to look to expand that into our players too - add a run stuffing tackle that we can swap out on passing formations and then add a pass rusher along the line.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: May 27, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »

I'd say adding some run back into the scheme is a good call..  As for Corbett, I'm indifferent about him, he can stay or go, it's not that big of a concern to me.  I do like your outlook on the RB2/3 slots, and I think Smith coming back would be suitable for our system.

I love our receiver corps, I don't think adding a big name is needed, we have big names as it is.  The interior linemen can all be upgraded over, none of them are the glue of the locker room, and none of them did enough to have me tab them as must-keep.   And defensively I agree 100%.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: May 31, 2019, 12:15:29 PM »
Ok - I want to ask as well how you'd feel about adding a big personality potentially to the room? I know one of the things we've valued most is adding character people to our locker room  but given our salary cap space and the fact that maybe adding a bit of an edge to the locker room might be a good thing. I guess a better question might be how much you think our second half improvement was a result of getting rid of some guys that weren't necessarily team first players in the locker room?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: June 01, 2019, 12:10:53 AM »

I think a big personality can be managed if its a player worth the risk of turning over the apple cart, but there are others that wouldn't be. I guess it depends on who you're thinking about.  I do think that part of our turn around was shedding some locker room detractors, but I'm not saying we have to maintain such a clean slate.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: June 01, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »
That's fair - it'd only be someone at the very top of our roster I do believe. It's going to be an interesting off-season but I do think we're aligned in a lot of what we want to do going forward. Thanks for your time Coach, enjoy the time off.
---
Demi, can you bring my concerns regarding GM Kirk's comments about deliberately injuring players to the leagues attention. After that, can you get me Coach Hoffman.
---
Coach, not the way we wanted the season to end but I did see a lot of progress from our players. I just wanted to say thank you for your hard work this season and wish you best of luck in the XFL if that's where you end up.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: June 01, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »

Thank you GM Metro. It was great working with you this season.  If you ever have a head coaching vacancy, give me a call and if it make sense for me, I'll be back.

I'm looking at the head coaching gig in Ft. Worth, so I'll be putting pen to paper in the next few days.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: June 02, 2019, 01:20:41 PM »
Godspeed Coach.
---
Demi, I'm ready to speak to Mr. Sting once he's ready.
---
Well Mr. Sting, I'm glad this seasons over. I wholly acknowledge it's not the season we wanted and that rests on me. We talked earlier this year and made some moves to re-shape our locker room that I think cost us the playoff berth somewhere but it did give us some room to maneuver this off-season. Adding Pruitt didn't pay off but I think we needed to make a run at it. We're poised well for the future and I think we're going to come back to camp hungry to rid ourselves of this season.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: June 03, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »

Clearly this season was an abysmal failure.  Expectations will not dip. Vegas is held to a higher standard, and I not only want us back in the thick of it next season, I want to see is break this idiotic trend of up and down seasons.  We need two consecutive playoff seasons, and we need to win our division.

I know you'll be busy this off-season, so I'll let you rest for a couple of weeks and enjoy the Impact Bowl. Watch it closely.  That is where we want to be.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:09:40 PM by Talon »

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: June 03, 2019, 08:25:42 PM »
I concur. I did have 1 thing I wanted to ask you before we left though. Chris Mackey left some money on the table this year for us. We can create cap room by sending a couple players down to the minors in a procedural move and I'd like to do that and give him a "raise". Obviously it's an expenditure from your pocket so I wanted to clear it with you before doing so. He earned that money with his performance this year and I think it'd send a good message to the locker room and any potential additions.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: June 03, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »

We didn't make the playoffs. I don't think anyone earned any bonuses. I love your player first attitude, but I am not willing to make that happen this time.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: June 03, 2019, 09:46:31 PM »
With all due respect Mr. Sting while I appreciate your comments they don't do anything for us in getting to our goal of winning an Impact Bowl. If you don't want to give bonuses then that's fine but I ask you to please reconsider. Let's call it an investment; one of my number one free agent targets is a David Ames client and maybe it helps us obtain him, maybe paying that money now buys us the good will to do an extension at a lower number that allows us to add more talent next season, maybe when someone like Stephen Leake hits the free agent market I can go to someone already in our room and ask him to take a bit of a haircut to help the team rather than see him end up in San Antonio because they know we'll do whatever we can to take care of them.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: June 05, 2019, 09:29:16 AM »

I understand what you're saying, but if wearing the Las Vegas Gold isn't enough of an incentive to come and win a championship, then the player is not worthy of the uniform anyways.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: June 06, 2019, 05:19:56 PM »
I'll continue to respectfully disagree but I accept your decision. Thanks for your time.
---
Demi, I really don't think we've anything left to do. Let's lock in.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: June 09, 2019, 01:34:12 AM »

Welcome back. We've got $9MM to spend this off-season and a nice draft pick. Lets make it happen.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: June 10, 2019, 09:22:22 PM »
Thank you Mr. Sting.
---
Demi, I think the first order of business is finding a new defensive co-ordinator. First call I'd like to make is to Keith Knotts please.
---
Keith, I wanted to give you a call about our defensive co-ordinator position and at least gauge your interest in jumping to Las Vegas. I know you're probably going to be interested in waiting to see if GM Pancho gives you an offer but I wanted to at least express an interest in you.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: June 11, 2019, 10:23:25 PM »

What's your offer GM Metro?  I love my guys in Alabama, but so far the contract I'm being offered isn't much of a reflection on my work there.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: June 12, 2019, 11:16:18 AM »
I've got a number in mind but before I ask I want to make sure that you're okay with how we've done business in the past. I know you had a dominant front four in Alabama and we've had that here previously but want to make sure that you're ok running some 3-3-5 or a big nickel if need be based on injuries etc. We've always had that morphing hybrid defense and I think your attitude and experience works but I also don't want to get into a personality clash or difference of philosophies.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: June 13, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »

I've decided to stick with Alabama, thanks for the interview.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: June 13, 2019, 12:48:31 PM »
No worries - I completley understand wanting to stay with them.
---
Demi, Archie Freese please.
---
Archie, GM Metro of the Las Vegas Scorpions. I know your family in a prior life had a bad experience here with GM Apollo but I'm looking for a defensive co-ordinator and wanted to have a conversation about the position. I know you specialized playing the nickel and I think that aligns with what we do as a hybrid style that morphs and changes what happens. I wanted to get your take as well as what your comfort level is in-so-far as a formation when we're playing more players in the box.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: June 17, 2019, 02:59:27 PM »

I'm a 4-3/Nickle guy, with a high blitzing ratio and an aggressive style of play.  I work well with speed and tackling technique so I like to think I bring a nice edge to guys who come in needing some polish.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:07:45 AM by Talon »

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: June 18, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »
That's fair - I do believe our defense is further along than polishing the parts. I need someone who can keep us at the high level we've been accustomed to. How do you see our team with it's current personnel functioning? How would you take advantage of the expanded defensive roster?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: June 18, 2019, 01:25:42 PM »

You've clearly got the linebackers to blitz or drop into coverage, your d-line is a little "meh" for my liking, but if the work hard and don't mind a rotation of speed rushers in the passing downs, I could make them work. 

I don't put a lot of stock into the safeties, they end up overpaid and overrated, but corners who can man up but also are smart enough to play in the zone are a luxury I do afford myself whenever I have the opportunity.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: June 18, 2019, 01:47:57 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate your time. If we want to discuss further we'll be in touch.
---
Vince Hunter please Demi.
---
Vince, GM Metro, I don't believe we've spoken before but we have an opening at defensive co-ordinator. I know it may be a step down from a head coaching job at a powerhouse like Michigan but I want to gauge your interest, and if there was some, learn a bit about your style and what you feel would work well with our talent on defense.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: June 18, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »

I'm pretty comfortable in my head coaching spot, but I appreciate the call. 

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: June 19, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »
I understand. Thanks for your time.
---
Demi, Wade Tripps please.
---
Wade, GM Metro of the Las Vegas Scorpions. We've got an opening at defensive co-ordinator and I wanted to determine your interest in potentially taking on the job? I know you're stylistically a 3-4 coach but I wanted to know your familiarity in sub packages and how you'd look to utilize our personnel.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: June 19, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »

Well son, I do love the 3-4, fast backers that like to move around and blitz from inside or outside, but with that you can also flex right into a speed rushing nickle, throw a really athletic backer into the slot if need be, and make big plays on the field, you hear me?

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: June 20, 2019, 06:19:57 PM »
I understand - I'm just not sure I agree with the assessment there that going big is going to work for us given the fact that our league is still pass heavy. If any team has the personnel to act on your vision I do think it'd be Las Vegas but I just don't think it'll work. Thank you for your time.
---
John Cope please.
---
John, GM Metro of the Las Vegas Scorpions. As a player I tried many times to get you as a part of our organization as I felt your leadership and ability would fit well with what we do on defense. As a coach, how do you see your 4-3 defense working and what sort of sub package would you look to deploy with our team?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: June 21, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »

First of all, thanks GM Metro, appreciate that respect.  I've loved what you guys been doing on D for the last couple seasons, and I think I'd like to emulate something like that. I'm flexible man, I can do whatever you need.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: June 21, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »
That's awesome. I think continuity is going to be big for us this year. I've got a couple more questions for you; one, how do you think we should deploy some of the additional roster space we have now to help us out and secondly, how do you think we go about stopping Simon and Lackey in San Antonio?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: June 21, 2019, 10:08:10 AM »

Simon and Lackey... that's a tough draw, but clearly you stock up on corner talent and safeties and you hope to find a combination that locks them down, sometimes thats not the every day starter, you know?  get you some big bodies in this draft, go after them and try to wear those boys down.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: June 21, 2019, 10:24:11 AM »
Understood. I'm hopeful that we can continue to be a an elite defensive unit and I think you have the opportunity to contribute to that vision. I think 2 years at 4.5MM would be the market rate for a first time coach. Would that be enough to get you on board?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: June 21, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »

Here? absolutely.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: June 21, 2019, 10:31:12 AM »
Welcome aboard. Let's get too work.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:59 AM »
An eventful first day Demi. Can we get the representation for Constantine Diablo please.
---
Hoping to bring Constantine on board. I'd like to sign for 6.5MM flat in salary.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: June 25, 2019, 10:07:56 AM »

Consider it Done.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: June 25, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »
Awesome. Welcome aboard. Can't wait to see you at camp.
---
Demi, representation for Kurt Dietz please?
---
Looking to bring Kurt on board for slot value. 6.5MM in salary flat.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: June 26, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »

Deal.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 28, 2019, 08:06:16 PM »
Thanks.
---
Representation for Ronnie Vance please?
---
Looking to bring Ronnie in on the slot deal. 3 Years, 4MM in Salary.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: June 28, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
DREW LEVENTHAL ACCEPTS
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:23:00 PM by Talon »

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: July 01, 2019, 02:03:00 PM »
Thanks Drew.
---
Reps for Anthony Maclean please Demi.
---
Looking to get Anthony under contract. Slot value 3 years and 3MM.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: July 01, 2019, 02:15:14 PM »

Fuggettaboutit!