Author Topic: HIFL EDITORIALS  (Read 9471 times)

GM Justin

• Supreme Basketball Alliance sim Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
Re: HIFL EDITORIALS ON ESPN.COM
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2018, 10:04:47 PM »
Well....well...well.  There I was, just like any die hard HIFL fan...waiting patiently for the preseason games to approach so that we can get our football addiction.  I've dabbled in things such as quilting, knitting, and crossword puzzles to help the time pass by.  BOOM! Then it happened, S10 got off to a crazy start with three big trades in one day.  And since I am America's greatest armchair general manager, here is my take...

Atlanta/Music City

Coach and new interim GM Crowder has decided to start a rebuild and made some big names available.  One of those names was Erik Pitts who was quickly traded to Atlanta.  From the Kings standpoint this was all about gaining draft capital and clearing cap space.  Munoz is on an expiring contract and won't be brought back.  Creamer is a rookie and won't be a big part of their plans, but they will develop him and see what they get.  The big prize is the Warriors S11 2nd Round pick which is predicted to be a high pick.  The 3rd round pick is also valuable as plenty of talent is discovered in the third round.  From a franchise building process I like this move by Music City, but I believe they could have really competed this season. 

For Atlanta, this is a great pickup and a huge help for the maturation of their rookie QB, Thomas Mazza. Pitts and West present a great duo that will help make Mazza's job easier.  I don't like it from a salary cap standpoint as it eats into their cap for next season and it does nothing to help a secondary that can really use the help.

My winner of this trade is Music City.

Las Vegas/Music City

The biggest name on the block was Shane Barkley and Coach/GM Crowder knew that if he wanted to start the rebuild off right that Barkley was the key.  GM Justin made the move in the S7 draft to take Barkely and it has proven to be a move well worth it.  The obvious sexy allure for the Kings is the two first round picks which will give them three first round picks within the first 18 picks, in my estimation.  Not sure we will see another draft class like the S10 class, but with proper scouting Music City will be able to build a great foundation for the future.  To help bolster that foundation is the receipt of Paul Camacho.  While he may never be on the same talent level as Barkley, I believe he will develop into an eventual solid #1 that Music City can build their secondary around.  The trading of Ruiz is another cap move to bolster their spending in free agency. 

Critics give GM Metro a hard time because of his tendency to hoard draft picks, but this move proves their is a genius lying within his madness.  A Mullins, Barkley, and Mojica secondary is probably the best cornerback group in all of football now.  However, there are a couple of issues I see for GM Metro with this move.  First, this is giving up a lot for Barkley who might just end up being a rental.  Word is that Barkley will not commit to signing an extension at the moment.  If I were Shane, I wouldn't sign an extension either and wait for free agency.  Based on the Scorpions' cap concerns, they might not...possibly most likely, wouldn't be able to afford Barkely.  He could make a lot more in free agency.  Furthermore, while this helps bolster their defense, I still have concerns about their offense. Specifically, I'm not sold on Shelley at QB and their offensive line could use some help.  I would have much rather seen Vegas go after Mark Prince instead of Barkley. 

I'm going to have to say that Music City won this trade as well.

Michigan/Tombstone

Tombstone has hit a real rut in the franchise history.  GM Powers and his scandal, GM Justin and his reported meltdown, and now GM TJ II's disappearing act has left this franchise in a state of despair.  Al Crowley has given GM duties to his head coach who immediately made Kenny Johnson, DGB, and Gary Hunter available.  The interest in Hunter was huge, and for perfectly good reason, and GM Powers and the Michigan Monsters won his services.  Michigan's first round pick should be in the 16-20 range which along with Tombstone's pick will give the team two solid first round picks.  Furthermore, Tombstone receives two good LBs in return as well as free up some cap space.  This team is obviously in rebuild mode and this will help with that process.

I'm going to assume that GM Powers made a play for Shane Barkley, but missed out.  The addition of Hunter gives the Monsters the best LB duo in all of HIFL with Hunter and Steed.  This bolsters their front 7, but still leaves an average secondary.  I am of the belief that the secondary is still going to hurt this team because when the defense goes up against a solid offensive line that can block the front 7, the secondary is going to struggle.  I see what GM Powers was doing in regards to bolstering the defense, but I don't believe he really helped his team.  Barkley is what they really needed to put this team back into the Impact Bowl.  Furthermore, GM Powers has now put himself in a bind in regards to the salary cap and next season.  This is obviously a win-now move, but not one that is going to get him the win he wants.  This makes it harder to sign Giovanni Hill because I truly believe he tests free agency with the likes of New Jersey, Long Beach, Tombstone, possibly Miami, and possibly Vegas will raise the price of Giovanni Hill.  This move doesn't make a whole lot of since for Michigan from a future standpoint, considering the fact that adding Hunter doesn't upgrade their biggest weakness and now puts them in a financial crisis.

I believe Tombstone wins this trade. 

Okay, now I'm going back to learning how to quilt until the season starts.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2018, 03:04:35 AM »

THE VIEW FROM ACROSS THE POND S10 PREVIEW

Mark Hansen joins Sean Brosnan whilst trapped on the M62 by the "Beast From the East" for this first ever View From Across the Pond Podcast. The two undits run the rule over the revamped divions in season 10 and the likely prospects each team faces this season. They also talk overrated players, who's throwing in the towel before the season begins and who's seats are likely to feel warm by the end of the season. - The weather has affected the recording somewhat, but with perseverance and a stiff upper lip, the guys got the first episode in the can.

Sean Brosnan, Mark Hansen
The View From Across the Pond

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2018, 08:44:25 PM »

Five Trades That Might Happen

So apparently you can work for two publications at the same time. I once told an ex-girlfriend the same thing about women and that didn’t go over to well. I wonder if that’s the reason she’s an ex-girlfriend? Regardless, apparently it’s my job to cook up trade scenarios that will rock the foundation of the HIFL this #TradeSZN like I rock the … well, you get the picture.

Anyways – here we go.

Mahalo In Oakland
Oakland Receives: Marcus Mariota and Stefan Elkins
Kansas City Receives: James O’Rourke, George Britt, Alan Molina, S10 St. Paul 2nd

With both Britt and Mariota scheduled to become UFA’s at the end of the year both teams run the risk of losing their franchise players in the off-season. Both are likely to attract the franchise tag but even then the cost of 2 1sts for Mariota will not scare away a GM and I imagine it is the same for George Britt. James O’Rourke has shown flashes in Oakland but an inability to stay healthy has impacted his development and GM Justin has been said to crave an elite QB. Mariota is that and GM Justin has the pieces to overpay and get GM Bone to at least consider the move. Britt and O’Rourke will cost Kansas City less after the season and with the weapons this team has on offense O’Rourke could flourish as he stays healthy (call it Christian Sullivan pt. II) while Alan Molina gives them a solid Nickle Corner. Add in the 2nd round pick and whatever they can get for Thomas Richards after his trade demand and this just might be enough to pry Mariota out of Kansas City.

Snake Bite in Seattle
Seattle Receives: Christian Sullivan, Max Ramos
Charlotte Receives: John Carr, Darren Pierce, Daniel Maxley, David Bruce, Eric Scott
St. Paul Receives: William Brewster, Tommy Corbin, S10 Seattle 2nd.

A big three team trade that could really shake up three playoff races. Charlotte has looked great as an expansion outlet while Seattle might be the most surprising team in the league. St. Paul has started to come on strong but John Carr has struggled mightily at times this year and even with the explosion against Rapid City that was powered by Adrian McCaffrey. This isn’t the Lynx of old with the ballhawks in the back end and moving Maxley makes a final break from that to an offensive team that is going to get after the QB. Does Joan Swope appreciate trading another defensive piece to bolster the offense? Charlotte bets on Carr turning it around but adds two elite young players in Pierce and Maxley. The inability to move on from Carr’s contract adds some risk here but play-action with Spurgeon and Pierce on the outside and what is starting to look like an elite defense might cover any warts. The big news here is GM Jon bringing two of his former Cobra’s back with him on 1 year deals in the hope they can add more championship experience and complete what might be the greatest story in sports history a year after the Eddie Phoenix tragedy.

Miami Shoves All-In
Miami Gets: Burton Tibbets, Joseph Dobbins
Alabama Gets: Mac Richard, Austin Napier, David Hill, Daniel Coleman Miami S10 1st

This trade probably coincides with the end of the GM Pancho era in Alabama but moving two players who came to Alabama to win a championship to Miami clears some salary room to retain Jamie Ortega in the off-season. Alabama’s going to hate to pay some of the freight for the rest of the season but that’s a small cost for allowing them to quickly reset and compete next year. Tibbetts, Dobson and Randolph would probably replace Tibbetts, Dobson and Giles as the top receiving trio in the league and give Miami an even scarier offense to go with their elite defense. For Alabama this trade would be all about the future with Napier and Richard being solid pieces, Hill and Coleman are top 25 prospects at positions of need, and that S10 1st – while likely to be late, allows this team to start to build the future championship Nighthawks roster after routinely moving out of the early portions of the draft under GM Pancho.

King Regains His Thrown
Portland Receives: Corey Rizzo, Justin Blais
DC Receives: Frank Cooney

GM Dazz made some curious moves during the bye-week. Corey Rizzo has the team in a playoff position but in acquiring former #1 Overall pick King Carmazzi (who he brought to Cleveland) the year prior, you have to wonder whether GM Dazz would move Rizzo to get another one of his former players and give King the keys to the DC kingdom. Carmazzi flopped in Music City but DC has been pounding the rock this year and with limited pressure and not being forced to carry the team maybe he’ll have a chance to deliver on the promise he had coming out of the South. It’s hard to find good corners – but it’s even harder to find a winning quarterback. With Steven Crawford looking to be on his last legs bringing in Rizzo (a protégé he is familiar with) Portland sets themselves up to challenge their pacific northwest compatriots Seattle starting next year.

Three-Peat Threatened
Rapid City Receives: John Cope, Edward Gonzales, Richard Ray
St. Louis Receives: Joseph Upton, Eric Ashworth, Eddie Stands

Rapid City has won the last two Impact Bowl’s with their scorched earth offense but it has looked less fearsome this year with all the changes they’ve had. More change might not be the recipe for success either but having seen what the Vegas defense has done to the top two offenses in the league to that point in Alabama and Orlando, you have to wonder if Rapid City can do enough to get past them in the wild card round, or keep up with the high scoring Knights offense piloted by Keenan Daley. Adding championship experience in Cope and Gonzales helps and while losing Ashworth and Stands hurts the passing offense – getting Jeremy Martin more touches isn’t a bad thing and after Richard Council’s special teams antics last week – using him in space as a receiving weapon might be an idea.

SOURCE: JIMMY MINOR (Bleacher Report Correspondant)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2018, 11:06:34 PM »
BLEACHER REPORT - Players likely to be traded before the deadline
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.