Author Topic: TEAM: ATLANTA WARRIORS  (Read 48678 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
TEAM: ATLANTA WARRIORS
« on: February 19, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »

Team Information
City: Atlanta, Georgia
Conference:  Eastern
Division: South
Team Owner: Maximus Crowe
Team Secretary: Xenia Watson
Team Stadium: Warriors Colosseum

Official Colors:

Garnet (#782F40)
Gold (#CEB888)

Team History:
The Atlanta Warriors are an expansion franchise in Season 6 of the HIFL.  Founded by owner Maximus Crowe a former prize fighter who has used his winnings to start a football franchise, the team looks to pride itself on tough football with tougher players.

Season 6: 10-6 [GM Rebel]
Season 7: 6-10 [GM Rebel]
Season 8: 4-12 [GM Rebel]
Season 9: 1-15 [GM Rebel]

Playoff Appearances:
Season 6: (Conference Semi Finals)

RETIRED NUMBERS:
None
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:01:02 PM by Talon »
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: ATLANTA WARRIORS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »

My name is Maximus Decimus Crowe, 3 time light-heavyweight champion of the Ultimate Fighting League, 5 time Light-heavyweight champion of Proud Fighting, and now owner of the Atlanta Warriors.

In Atlanta, we are looking to bread Warriors, like the great Tribe of the Creek who once scouted these lands, we are looking to build a force of brave men looking to find their glory through their strengths.

...Are you prepared to wear the head dress and be the leader of this tribe?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:56:29 AM by Talon »

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:30:17 PM »

Hello, my name is Xenia Watson, I am the secretary here in Atlanta.  If you are interested in applying for the General Manager position here in Atlanta, please post your application and any other comments here.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:56:36 AM by Talon »

TyTy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 02:13:59 AM »
My name is TyTy. Former professional fighter, proud Cree Indian Warrior.

I'm here to apply to be general manager

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »
"Mr. Crowe,

My name is GM Rebel and I'm interested in applying to be Atlanta's first general manager.  I'm a Southern man, born and bred, and looking forward to the opportunity to put Atlanta on the map here in the HIFL.

I have several years experience at the GM level and have a championship under my belt in another sport.  My abrupt resignation with Oakland was tough for me to swallow, but I think I left the Silverbacks in pretty good shape with an above average draft and the cupboard stocked for many more successful seasons.

I'm looking to get back in to the HIFL and I think Atlanta is the prime spot for me."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »

GM TyTy, GM Rebel... thank you both for your interest here in Atlanta.

GM Rebel, your championship winning resume is something to be proud of.

Let me ask each of you a question, if we were to possess the first pick in either the expansion or amateur draft and your scouting reports revealed the top players at every position, which do you feel you would take first overall to be a cornerstone here in Atlanta?

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »
"If you want to be a dominating HIFL team - it starts with two positions: LT and NT. I want guys in the trenches with their hands in the dirt that are going to battle all game long. The very first draft pick in the HIFL a was mine and I took a LT to solidify the offensive line. I'd look to do the same here in Atlanta."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »

Linemen are true gladiators of the field, I like your point of view there GM Rebel.

Let me ask you a second question then while GM TyTy thinks of his response... What style of offense and defense would you like to build this team around?

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
"The only Warrior way.  We're going to stand man-to-man and beat the man across the line of scrimmage ten-yards back.  A big offensive line, smash mouth football.  This newfangled fancy spread offense is nothing but a gimmick.  Warriors don't run around people - they run through them."

"Defensively, we'd run an agressive 3-4.  A space-eating nose tackle and some big defensive ends to hold up against the run.  Attacking OLB's that can get to the quarterback."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »

GM Rebel, you have not only ran through this interview, you have ran through your opposition... You are the man for this team, Welcome to the Warriors.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »

GM Rebel, I know you are currently on vacation, but if you are interested in getting an early start on interviewing potential coaching candidates, I have attached a list of who we expect to be available once the off-season begins. 

Feel free to place some calls and feel some coaches out.  We will not be allowed to extend offers until the offseason, but it may be good to establish some rapport with them before the APL, or other GM's have a chance to get to know them.  Please mind that the names highlighted in grey are currently under contract and will not be accepting phone calls.   

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »
"Thanks for your hard work - this list is invaluable, Xenia.  Get me Tom Jiszefski, please."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »

Hello, this is Coach Jiszefski, but you can just call me Coach J...

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:24 PM »
"Coach J it is.  You look familiar.  You didn't just win a National Championship in another sport did you?  Otherwise, that handsome devil looks identical to you!"

"Give me a little background on yourself, Coach J.  What kind of team do you see yourself leading in the HIFL?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »

Mr. Rebel, let me tell you, when I took over the program at Duke it was in shambles.  Duke football was a total laughing stock and I had to work hard to build a foundation for success. We did that by winning the ACC two years ago and finishing second in the ACC last year because of UNC's Wilkinson kid on defense.   We won our last 4 bowl games in a row and only allowed a combined 55 points in those games.  I like limiting the opposition to make the most out of our offensive capabilities.

I believe success starts on the defensive side of the ball with veteran talent.  You can bring in young fast freshmen, or rookies to make plays on offense, but on defense you need seasoned veterans who know the game and are ability to be physical. 

I am a fan of a traditional offense that runs the ball a little more than it passes, depending on my quarterback, but on defense I believe in a very strong 4-3 base defense.  Strong defensive line with quality pass rushers across the board, and maybe even an extra one to rotate in, depth is the name of the game.  Solid corner play and a great middle linebacker are also key.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 10:05:35 PM »
"It pains me, coach, to have to ask this because I'm a little afraid of your response but I've got to at least toss it out there.  I'm a diehard believer in the 3-4 and the pressure that it brings.  I've seen some incredible coaches change to adapt there personnel this season for the first time - do you have any experience running a 3-4 defense?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 10:44:18 PM »

If we draft and sign the right players to build a team that can rush the passer, and play solid defense on the perimeter then I think I could make it work, get me a solid 3-4 coordinator and give me time to make the adjustments I need to make and I believe I will be fine, since i do believe I saw you at plenty of Duke games over the years.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »
"You caught me, coach.  I bleed royal blue.  I'm a huge fan of the Duke program and I'm well aware that it's success on the gridiron is directly tied to you.  I'm looking for a defensive minded team and I'm confident that you'd bring that to us."

"A couple more things: offensively, give me specifics.  What type of system do you think you'd like to run in the HIFL?  What do you look for in your skill positions."

"Secondly - have your eyes on any coordinators out there to help make the transition to the HIFL a little smoother?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 11:13:10 PM »

Being in Durham, I never got the top pick of speedy talents, so I am fine working with sure handed skill position players who lack elite speed.  At running back I like a bruiser, a guy kind of like Dan Rhodes over in Oakland.  A guy who can fight for the short yards and make guys miss when he needs to.  I don't need a pass catcher out of the backfield, I prefer a tight end for that job.   I've worked with mobile QB's and also had traditional pocket passers, so I can handle either, but if we find a developed dual threat, I'd be happy to watch him run our system.

As far as coordinators though, I'd like a veteran on offense, but would love to help develop the skills of a young DC. 

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
"Coach J, we can't make offers at the time, but let me be clear, I'm confident I know who the first coach of the Atlanta Warriors is going to be.  I know you have to make your rounds and interview with teams but keep us in mind as the moratorium is lifted and we'll see if we can come to a deal."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »

I do have a question for you before I go, Mr. Rebel.

I have spent a lot of time as the final decision maker during my time at Duke, if I sign on to be a head coach, I would really like some input on first and second round draft picks.  Would you be willing to let me have some input on our top draft choices? 

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 06:26:13 PM »
"Why of course, Coach J. This is a partnership - we work together to find the very best players for this franchise. While, I will be honest, the final decision is mine - I will constantly be seeking your opinion in certain circumstances, which the draft being one of those circumstances."

"Does that answer your question?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 06:31:23 PM »

Yes it does.  Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you when the offseason begins. 

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »
"Ken Graham, please."

---

"Mr. Graham, we're in the process of looking for a defensive coordinator and your name is one that's interested us.  Can you give me a little background on your coaching history and what kind of defense you could see yourself running in the HIFL?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 01:33:37 PM »

Whats up dude, here is a little taste of what I bring to the table as a DC bro. SPEED, STRENGTH, AND ATTITUDE!  They say I brought the "attitude era" to Auburn football, and man they weren't kidding bro.   I like speed from the Safeties to the Defensive Tackles, and we run WILD with exotic blitzes and confusion along the defensive front to really throw off the Quarterback... Bro, I'm telling you, offenses get into little hissy fits when my defense lines up with the right personnel.  QB's get their girdles in a bunch, bro. You get me speed and I'll get you the ball with a short field.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
"Bro, love the energy.  Let's talk outside of football.  Tell me a few stories about the "Attitude Era" at Auburn.  I bet things got wild."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »

I encourage my players to be aggressive, not just on the field, but in life!  Does it make them a little louder off the field, yeah it does, but it's because I breed Winners bro, winning on the field leads to winning in life, and winning in life makes you continue to breed winners, and at Auburn that is what is all about. 

Now don't get me wrong here bro, our attitude era wasn't a party era, we weren't doing things like the U in the 80s, I want my kids to be clean, but they have to have the swagger and the mouth of a warrior... which is funny, because this team is called the Warriors.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 01:43:13 PM »
"I appreciate that, Mr. Graham.  That's the type of attitude that can win a lot of ball games.  We'll be in touch!"

---

"Leonard Ryan, please."

---

"Mr. Ryan - defensive coordinator.  What's your strengths and weaknesses as a coach?  I'm assuming with a name steeped in such history like Ryan, you've got to be a man that loves a good defense."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »

I never really thought about coaching a defense son, but let me tell you what.  If I did, I'd make sure to make those boys be a MAN, Like me! 

I coached a pistol offense at O.K. State that worked a mobile quarterback into the run game and took shoots downfield early in the game.  Run on first down then letter fly later in the game, ya know what I'm sayin?

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
"I thought for sure you'd have some kind of defensive background.  But then again - I could have just read my notes wrong...... that couldn't be it."

---

"Ted Collier, please."

---

"Ted, what made you decide to make the jump to the HIFL?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »

Well, my brother and I both left the NFL about a year apart, and while he's still doing his "thing" at Michigan, I decided after a little time here at the University of Maryland it was time to stop thumping my little brother and give him a shot to win the Big 10, so I have decided a return to the pro game was in order.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
"Hmm... what kind of defenses did you employ to stop his "thing" along the way?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 02:07:38 PM »

I have always been a fan of a hybrid system with depth that allows a 3-4 or 4-3 front depending on the situation.  4-3 in short yardage to stop the run, but a 3-4 on medium distances to really get after the QB with a strong blitz.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »
"With such an evolving defense - tell me about your defensive lineman.  What qualities and/or size are you looking for in your DL?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:54 PM »

I have to have a DT big enough to play on his own at the nose tackle with the second DT being agile enough to rush the passer either as the second DT or a 3-4 DE.

My linebackers and DE's need to be big enough to play the run, but small enough to rush from the OLB spot without getting too fatigued.

Sometimes I looked for big linebackers coming out of high school or college, depending on my job, and I'd convert them to DE's, and other times I'd take undersized DE's and stand them up at OLB... it was more of a "case by case" situation really, but that's generally what I looked for.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »
"If you had to give me a percentage of how often you came with a blitz, what would that percentage be?  Do you want your CB's to play man or are you looking at a little more zone?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 06:30:40 PM »

I like physical corners who can play man coverage well as well as make tackles well.  When we run the 3-4 on 2nd and long or on 3rd down, I'd say I like to blitz about 60% of the time, where as with first down and on 2nd and short I'd rather dial it back to about 35%...

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
"I'm impressed.  One more question - what do you think of coach Coach Jiszefski from Duke?"

"Also, anything you'd like to ask me?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 09:59:15 PM »

Coach Jisz?  I've not seen him since Maryland left the ACC for the Big 10, but I respect the guy.  He's a hell of a coach.

...No questions from me Mr. Rebel, I'm just hoping to make the right decision and bring me on board.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 03:14:14 PM »
"I'm thoroughly impressed, Mr. Collier.  Some of these guys interviewing get flustered or you have GM's who get flustered - but you?  Even keeled.  I appreciate that in my coaches.  I'm in the business of winning football games."

"This may be a long shot, but have you ever thought about coaching with your brother?  Do you know if he'd be curious about making the jump in to the pros?  I'm assuming he'd have some kind of buyout.  Is that something that might interest you?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »

My brother Todd is pretty happy at Michigan, he's got total control and a huge pay day, I don't think buying him out would be cost effective at this time.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
"Hey, it was worth a shot, Mr. Collier.  Thanks for meeting with me.  You can be rest assured you'll be one of my first calls when the time comes."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »

I look forward to hearing from you.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 01:05:40 AM »
END OF REGULAR SEASON PRESS CONFERENCE

THE MEDIA AWAITS YOUR INTRODUCTORY COMMENTS...

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 09:01:24 AM »
"First of all, let me begin by saying it's a pleasure to be a part of the Atlanta Warriors.  I'd like to thank Mr. Crowe for having faith in me to get this program operating in the right direction.

I'd like to take the time to announce that we have signed coach Tom Jiszefski to serve as Atlanta's very first head coach.  I have the utmost confidence in Coach J to lead this franchise and will bring about a toughness that the Warrior's will be known for. 

We're ready to get rolling.  I'll take questions if there are any for me."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »

What lead you to sign Coach Jiszefski over other coaches on the market, or even pursuing coaches of current playoff contenders?

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
"Well, truthfully, coach J impressed us from the beginning.  We were looking for a steady hand to guide this franchise.  We didn't want someone overly emotional but someone who has been in the trenches before and could wade through the difficult transition of launching a franchise.

We also appreciated coach J's ability to adapt his scheme to fit the personnel of our roster.  There isn't one way to skin a cat and coach J understands that."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2015, 09:11:13 PM »

What position on offense and defense do you value most, and why?

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »
"On offense, we're certainly going to be in the market for a quarterback that can lead this franchise.  However, I think the most important position is the LT.  We want a guy who can make sure our QB's stay clean and open up running lanes for our running back.  We want hogs up front - warriors.  Guys who are going to put his hand in the dirt and run over that guy lined up in front of him."

"On defense, we want a nose tackle that's going to clog up the lane. A guy that is going to put his head down and eat up blockers and let our linebackers fly around the field and hit some people.  It's a selfless position - sometimes you trade individual statistics for team success.  But that NT up front controls what we want to do on defense and is our most vital position."

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »

After your short tenure in Oakland ended with resignation, what do you have to say to potential Atlanta fans who may be cautious to support a team with a GM who is already on his second job in as many seasons?