Author Topic: WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #1 - Sporting Favourites  (Read 2328 times)

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #1 - Sporting Favourites
« on: March 04, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
Welcome to a new concept from GM Corbin aimed at providing more non-sim activity: THE ESPN SPORTS SIMS WEEKLY DISCUSSION.

Each Wednesday I will be picking a topic, be it a hypothetical question, a recent news article or a point of general interest, and opening the floor to debate, chatter and discussion on that theme. It will be a free discussion, with anyone able to weigh in at any time with a thought, opinion or an agreement/counter-case to the ongoing conversation. While every seven days brings a new thread with a new starting point, you're more than welcome to also continue the previous discussions if you have anything to add to the topic.

As an advanced warning, given the nature of the concept of this feature, there may occasionally be things said you disagree with for whatever reason. All we ask is that you please keep things civil in your replies in the name of healthy debate. We don't want some massive argument that spills over just because two or more people have differing views. As a collection of mature individuals, you are trusted to act with appropriate behaviour.

While I will be running the Weekly Discussion, you are more than welcome to contribute ideas for future topics. Just PM the idea to me, along with any supporting links (if appropriate), with the subject ďWeekly Discussion Topic SuggestionĒ. You will receive full credit as and when your topic arises in the rotation.

Without further ado, here is the first topic:

WEEK 1 -  Sporting Favourites

In honour of the ESPN Sports Sims boards, let's begin with a simple one: A discussion on favourite sports, including favourite teams, players, memories, traditions etc.

Where possible, give explanation/backstory for your choices, and feel free to compliment/criticise other's choices... After all, this is a discussion!
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
Re: WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #1 - Sporting Favourites
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:14:47 PM »
Favorite sports:
1. Football (American)
2. Baseball
3. College Basketball
4. Basketball
5. Hockey

I grew up playing football, started at age 8 officially in jr. pee wee, played through to High School and had the chance to play in College but due to a last minute move to a new school with a dick of a coach, I didn't get to play my senior year.   Played baseball until high school, starting out in little league, and also played hockey in the summers at our local ECHL team's summer hockey camps and leagues, basketball is only above hockey because I grew up watching UNC basketball with my family, so I get more motivated to watch that than to try to hunt down NHL games on my TV.

------------

Favorite Teams:
1. Carolina Panthers [NFL]
2. New York Yankees [MLB]
3. University of North Carolina Tar Heels [NCAA]
4. Charlotte Hornets [NBA]
5. Carolina Hurricanes [NHL]

As you can see, I'm a big fan of my home state teams.  The reason I am a Yankees fan is simple.
Everyone in the VA, NC, SC area are major Atlanta Braves fans, when I asked someone why when I was young they said "it's the closest team to home." I thought that was stupid, since they are 3 states away!
That year ATL played the Yankees in the world series and I went against the grain and chose the Yankees as my team and have been a faithful fan ever since, but I hate most Yankees fans, because they are tools.

------------

I'll add to the convo later, but that is at least my teams and sports right there.

LEAST FAVORITE TEAMS:
1. New Orleans Saints
2. Seattle Seahawks
3. Duke Blue Devils
4. Boston Red Sox
5. New England Patriots
6. NC State Wolfpack
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8. Atlanta Falcons
9. Atlanta Braves
10. Detroit Red Wings
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
I'll follow Talon's template because it looked cool.

Favorite Sports:
1. Basketball
2. Football
3. College Football
4. College Basketball
5. Hockey
6. Baseball

I was always the tallest kid growing up, meaning whenever we played basketball, I was picked first. Always thought I'd grow to like 6' 9'' - 7' and I'd play pro ball, but once I stopped growing so fast that kind of went to teh way side, never made it to try out for school teams as football normally ran late and the coaches never let me leave practice to try out nor was I given a later try out date. Played football from middle school until I graduated from high school. I love the college game. If I could skate, I would have played hockey. Baseball for me is fun to see live, but watching games on a regular basis is hard.

-------------

Favorite Teams:
1. Philadelphia 76ers
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Philadelphia Flyers
4. Temple Owls (College Basketball)
5. Texas Longhorns (College Football)
6. Philadelphia Phillies
7. North Carolina Tar Heels (College Basketball)

Like Talon, a fan of the local teams, but I guess the Texas and UNC ones are a bit of "why?"  I became fans of both in the seventh grade. I love to understanding the inner workings of things and I love the recruiting aspect of college sports, just took a bit to really understand it. In the seventh grade, I started to watch College sports more, and the football team I came to like was the Texas Longhorns. You'd think it'd be the Temple Owls, but at the time, they weren't a team really and I hate Penn State University, not a big fan of cults. At the time, Texas had Vince Young who made me think of a younger Donovan McNabb and that was enough for me to watch the team go undefeated that season and beat USC and help me win 40 bucks. I've been a fan of them since.

UNC was more I like rivalries and at the time, Duke-UNC was really the only one in college basketball that got any play on ESPN so I watched it and I really like the way UNC played with Sean May, Rashad McCants, and Ray Felton, so I started to follow them and ended up rooting for them against the Nova team that had Kyle Lowry, Allen Ray, Randy Foye, and Mike Nardi in a 4 guard system even though Villanova is a local school. Then they got Tyler Hansbrough and it was over because Psycho T was me if I could have grown a couple inches more.

------------

Least Favorite Teams:
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Any Penn State Team
3. Any Notre Dame Team
4. All New York teams sans the Jets and Islanders, I pity those two
5. New Jersey Devils

Most of them are rivals of my favorite teams, I hate Notre Dame and Penn State because I'm Irish and people are shocked I hate Notre Dame. I hate the movie "Rudy" even more. I hate Penn State because people told me I should like them because "they're the best college in the state" which is not true. I use to hate the Patriots and Duke, but I've grown to respect them begrudgingly.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »
I'll follow Talon's template because it looked cool.

Favorite Sports:
1. Basketball
2. Football
3. College Football
4. College Basketball
5. Hockey
6. Baseball

I was always the tallest kid growing up, meaning whenever we played basketball, I was picked first. Always thought I'd grow to like 6' 9'' - 7' and I'd play pro ball, but once I stopped growing so fast that kind of went to teh way side, never made it to try out for school teams as football normally ran late and the coaches never let me leave practice to try out nor was I given a later try out date. Played football from middle school until I graduated from high school. I love the college game. If I could skate, I would have played hockey. Baseball for me is fun to see live, but watching games on a regular basis is hard.

-------------

Favorite Teams:
1. Philadelphia 76ers
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Philadelphia Flyers
4. Temple Owls (College Basketball)
5. Texas Longhorns (College Football)
6. Philadelphia Phillies
7. North Carolina Tar Heels (College Basketball)

Like Talon, a fan of the local teams, but I guess the Texas and UNC ones are a bit of "why?"  I became fans of both in the seventh grade. I love to understanding the inner workings of things and I love the recruiting aspect of college sports, just took a bit to really understand it. In the seventh grade, I started to watch College sports more, and the football team I came to like was the Texas Longhorns. You'd think it'd be the Temple Owls, but at the time, they weren't a team really and I hate Penn State University, not a big fan of cults. At the time, Texas had Vince Young who made me think of a younger Donovan McNabb and that was enough for me to watch the team go undefeated that season and beat USC and help me win 40 bucks. I've been a fan of them since.

UNC was more I like rivalries and at the time, Duke-UNC was really the only one in college basketball that got any play on ESPN so I watched it and I really like the way UNC played with Sean May, Rashad McCants, and Ray Felton, so I started to follow them and ended up rooting for them against the Nova team that had Kyle Lowry, Allen Ray, Randy Foye, and Mike Nardi in a 4 guard system even though Villanova is a local school. Then they got Tyler Hansbrough and it was over because Psycho T was me if I could have grown a couple inches more.

------------

Least Favorite Teams:
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Any Penn State Team
3. Any Notre Dame Team
4. All New York teams sans the Jets and Islanders, I pity those two
5. New Jersey Devils

Most of them are rivals of my favorite teams, I hate Notre Dame and Penn State because I'm Irish and people are shocked I hate Notre Dame. I hate the movie "Rudy" even more. I hate Penn State because people told me I should like them because "they're the best college in the state" which is not true. I use to hate the Patriots and Duke, but I've grown to respect them begrudgingly.

I'd take Vince over McNabb too... ;)

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
Let's give this a whirl...

Favourite Sports:
1. Hockey
2. Baseball
3. Football (American)
4. Basketball
5. Soccer
6. Football (Canadian)

So, being Canadian, I love hockey (shock, surprise!). Baseball stands a close second because that is what I played growing up. I was always short and got overlooked when it came to basketball and football (at least as far as organized teams go) but enjoyed playing pick up games with friends. I was (still am on a good day) a fast runner, so stealing bases and playing wide receiver were always fun for me.

----------------

Favourite Teams:
1. Toronto Blue Jays
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
3. Toronto Raptors
4. Buffalo Bills
5. Green Bay Packers

My first memory of sports was watching the Blue Jays win the World Series in 1992 and because I leaned more towards playing baseball, they are my number one team. Give it another year, and the Leafs will probably be #3 only because of what the Raptors are doing. The Bills tend to be my football team because they are close to me, but I have always been a Packers fan ever since I started watching the NFL.

I never got into the college sports thing because I never went to a school in the States (it SEEMS more popular with American schools/American students. Plus, the school I did go to, sucked).

----------------

Least Favourite Teams:
1. New York Yankees
2. Ottawa Senators
3. Boston Red Sox
4. Montreal Canadiens
5. Toronto FC

Yeah, you read #5 right. Until they figure out how to put a product on the pitch that has some direction, it will be one team I can't stand. The others are mostly because of my two favourite teams.

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1334
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
Favorite sports:
1. Baseball (MLB)
2. Football (NFL)
3. College Football (NCAA)
4. MMA (UFC)
5. Hockey (NHL)
6. College Baseball (NCAA)
7. Soccer (MLS / World Tournaments)
8. College Basketball (NCAA)
9. Basketball (NBA)
10. Golf (PGA)

Baseball is my favorite sport because it's the one sport I was really, really good at. Played it from tee ball to college and if I really wanted to pursue a career in the minor leagues, probably could have. I agree, it's tough to watch on TV sometimes, but live, it's my favorite live sport. There is just something that always brings a smile to my face when I walk into a ballpark. Like most Americans, I am a huge fan of american football as well. Been a fan of the NFL since I was a kid, and then when I went to college, became a hardcore and devoted fan of the college game. You can tie that in with College Baseball and Basketball as well. As for Hockey, well, I've been a fan since watching The Mighty Ducks on VHS. Love the sport now after the lockout ruined it for me for awhile. Not as knowledgeable in NHL as I am in other sports, but each year the sport grows on me more than the previous. MMA is pretty new to my life as well, probably around 2007 is when I started to really get into it.  Now I catch every PPV (for the most part) and a majority of the shows in between. Basketball, NBA to be exact, is on the downward for me. I just lost my attraction for the sport a few years ago and I can't seem to find why I ever liked it in the first place. I would always choose the college game over the pro game in a heartbeat. Soccer is another sport that I played a lot when I was younger, but up until recently with the Portland Timbers, I never had a team I really loved. I support Arsenal in the EPL, but am more of a causal fan. Oh... and then Golf. Yeah... something special about sitting on the couch on Sunday with my pops watching the final round of a major tournament.   

------------

Favorite Teams:
1. Oregon State Beavers (NCAA)
2. Los Angeles Angels (MLB)
3. Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)
4. Anaheim Ducks (NHL)
5t. Los Angeles Lakers (NBA) & Portland Timbers (MLS)

I'm also a big fan of my local teams (was born in Whittier, CA). Moved to Oregon when I was 10 and went to college at Oregon State University, hence my loyalty there. Nothing I cheer louder for then my Beavs. Something about the loyalty of our fan base and the little resources we have, yet we still do well. I bleed orange & black. My grandparents use to work in Angel Stadium when I was a kid and was basically raised to be a fan. One of my fondest memories was winning the World Series in 2002. I was so dang happy that not only I was able to see it, but both my grandparents as well. Never forget that team of underdogs! I know you are probably like... The Philly Eagles?? What? Well, when I was younger, my Dad was a Redskins fan, a team that happened to play the Eagles twice a season. I fell in love with their uniforms and Randall Cunningham. Come to find out as I got older, my Mom's side of the family comes from Waynesboro, PA. So I never switched ships. And never will. Like I said above, the movie The Mighty Ducks is why I am a hockey fan. They are also my favorite team. Was raised a Lakers fan. I look back and reminisce how spoiled I was to be a fan of theirs. Lots of love for Shaq and Kobe still... but my love for the game is dwindling. It's just not like it use to be. And I became a huge Timbers fan when Portland entered the MLS. I was actually a decently big fan before that too... but when they joined MLS, it only escalated!       

------------

LEAST FAVORITE TEAMS:
1. Oregon Ducks
2. Entire AL West Division in MLB (Oakland A's, Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners)
3. Entire NFC East Division in NFL (Dallas Cowboys, NY Giants, Washington Redskins)
4. LA Kings
5. San Francisco 49ers
6. NY Yankees
7. Seattle Sounders
8. San Jose Sharks
9. Vancouver Canucks
10. LA Dodgers

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
Favourite Sports:
1. Football
2. Cricket (international)
3. Ice Hockey (Not the grass version that Team GB are actually good at)
4. American Football
5. F1
6. Baseball

Football is by far my favourite sport. When I was growing up, every spare moment would be spent playing football anywhere my brothers and I could find enough space (even in the house, much to the annoyance of our parents). I played football (badly) for a team up until the age of 12, when we started playing on full size pitches with full size goals and I found that I was too short to play in goal any more.

There is very little I enjoy more in the summer than drinking English beer (not actually warm) and watching cricket all day. I didn't get to play it until I reached high-school, but I was a pretty good spin bowler (Shane Warne was my hero, despite being Australian). I only ever scored one run with the bat (and the ball actually came off my foot, so it didn't even count as my run) but it was still a special experience to get all padded up and walk out onto the wicket.

I played a bit baseball and American Football and was terrible at both, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of both sports. I used to stay up until 4am to watch games on TV (hockey as well) and that made watching those sports seem a little more special.

I never got to play hockey on the ice, but my brothers and I would play on the street. My younger brother and I would take turns playing in goal, him flopping on the floor like Hasek and me trying to copy Brodeur.

An honourable mention goes to rugby (union) but only international rugby. I couldn't care less about the league game (or rugby league, which is a different and inferior game). I played it a lot at school, as every English child has to, but I always wished we were playing football (soccer) instead.

----------------

Favourite Teams:
1. Manchester United
2. Toronto Blue Jays
3. Miami Dolphins
4. New Jersey Devils
5. Toronto Raptors

I started supporting Man Utd because my favourite uncle supported them. I just got lucky that they turned out to be by far the best team in England while I was growing up. The class of '93 was my favourite team. Eric Cantona and Peter Schmeichel were my favourite players, rather than the young guys like David Beckham and Ryan Giggs. I know that I'll never like football or Man Utd as much as I did during the 90s, no matter how much they win or how well they play. That team and period was special and football will never be like that again... and that's a little depressing.

I lived in Toronto for a few years when I was very young, so I have a fondness for teams from there. I didn't pick all of the Toronto teams, however, because I didn't want to support all the same teams as my twin brother. I chose the Dolphins because my father gave me a football in Miami's colours when I was young. I chose the Devils because the first Ice hockey game I watched was the Devils Vs. the Rangers and Brodeur was unbeatable in that game. I don't really like basketball (at all) but I do like the Raptors, even when they're shit.
----------------

Least Favourite Teams:
1. Liverpool
2. New York Yankees
3. New England Patriots
4. Boston Red Sox
5. Carolina Hurricanes

Least favourite teams doesn't even come close to describing the hatred I have for Liverpool. I hate that team so much that I dislike the city as well and everything that comes from it. I don't think the other need explaining. 

GM Franchise

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 18
  • #BEECAGE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »
Favorite sports:
1. Football (American)
2. Basketball
3. College Basketball
4. NASCAR
5. Baseball
6. Soccer
7. Hockey

This is just an order of preference and going by how much I watch.

------------

Favorite Teams:
1. San Diego Chargers [NFL]
2. Los Angeles Clippers [NBA]
3. Phoenix Suns [NBA]
4. San Diego Padres [MLB]
5. Arizona Diamondbacks [MLB]

Basically I follow San Diego and Phoenix teams mainly due to my family rooting for those teams and living in those cities. I also follow Tennessee sports teams and UNLV as well.

------------

LEAST FAVORITE TEAMS:
1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Oakland Raiders
3. Los Angeles Dodgers
4. Denver Broncos
5. Miami Heat

Basically the teams I root against the most. Stealers...I mean Steelers are the run away number one though.

Reya Serra

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »
Favorite Sports:
1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Basketball
4. College Football
5. College Basketball
6. Hockey
7. Nascar

Baseball has always been my favorite sport.  When I was younger I didn't live too far away from where a few teams had spring training and usually around the 4th of July we'd go to one of those fields and watch the fireworks and run around, which was nice.  I used to really like basketball but that's waned in the last several years in favor of football.

-------------

Favorite Teams:
1. Phoenix Suns
2. Arizona Diamondbacks
3. Arizona Cardinals
4. St. Louis Cardinals
5. Denver Broncos
6. University of Arizona (College Basketball)
7. Duke (College Basketball)
8. Arizona (It's still Phoenix to me) Coyotes
9. Kansas City Royals

Being from Phoenix, I'm an Arizona fanboy having been a fan of those teams for as long as I can remember and in the case of the Diamondbacks since their inception.  I've grown to like the Cardinals since moving to Missouri.  I like the Broncos largely in part because of Peyton Manning.  I've always liked Duke for some reason, probably because they've always been successful.
------------
Least Favorite Sports:

1.  Cricket
2.  Soccer
3.  Golf
4.  Rugby
5.  Lacrosse

I don't really understand the rules of any of them.  I know most about golf, but it's too boring to watch.

Least Favorite Teams:
1. New York Yankees
2. New England Patriots
3. Los Angeles Lakers
4. Pittsburgh Steelers
5. Any team Lebron James plays for.
6. Other teams in the NL West + The Chicago Cubs
7. Kansas City Chiefs
8. Hendrick Motorsports

Nothing made me happier than seeing my Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the World Series in 2001.  I hate Tom Brady, though over the years I've slowly begrudgingly began to respect his success (Joe Montana is still better).  Same goes for the Lakers and Kobe Bryant (though I liked the Showtime Lakers), Lebron, and the Hendrick guys (specifically Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson).  Don't like the Chiefs because everyone here seems to root for them plus I like one of their biggest rivals in the Broncos.  I don't like the NL West teams & the Cubs because they're in divisions with the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals, respectively.  Also, I'm still mad at the Steelers for costing my Arizona Cardinals a Super Bowl.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »
I was living in Flagstaff when the Cardinals made that run to the superbowl. I hated them at the start of that season because they were always on TV when I wanted to watch a different game, but it was hard not to respect when they achieved. I was back in England when the superbowl was played and I was rooting for the Cardinals... which probably cursed them because the team I back never wins.

Although I've got baseball on my list of favourite sports, I must say that the amount of time they take to get anything done drives me mad. I don't mind slow sports (test matches in cricket last 5 days) but I can't stand it when a team makes a pitching change and it takes half an hour for warm up...only for the pitcher to be pulled after his two pitches and the whole thing happens again. Just get on with it.

Reya Serra

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:24:18 PM »
Think they're testing out some new rules in spring training this year to speed things up a little.

GM Pancho

• IMPACT BOWL V CHAMPION!
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:23 PM »
I'll say this and say it proud ...

ONE TEAM ... ONE SPORT.

That is all.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »

ONE TEAM ... ONE SPORT.

That is all.

Reya Serra

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
#DealWithIt  :P

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 788
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 11:30:43 PM »
Favorite sports:
1. Baseball
2. Football (American)
3. Basketball
4. Hockey
5. Volleyball

Baseball is always going to be my first love. I couldíve gone to the LLWS when I was 10 but my family couldnít afford to take the time off work to let me play with the team that qualified (my grandparents lived in the right area and they wanted me to play for their team). I got in a car accident and my shoulders never been the same so canít pitch. I didnít really like football practice but loved games and was good enough that I felt I had a shot at TCU (my coach in HS had a connection) but had issues with post-concussion syndrome and then blew out my knee twice. I also love fantasy football the most (I think itís the best sport for fantasy) of all the fantasy games so it has that going for it. Basketball is a blast too watch on TV. I played hockey growing up but donít really watch on TV so thereís not much to call home. I played volleyball in University so it would feel wrong to leave it off this list. I also like NASCAR but only because a certain little country girl is a huge Joey Logano fan and it becomes good for me when he does well.
------------

Favorite Teams:
1. New England Patriots [NFL]
2. Duke Blue Devils[NCAA]
3. Washington Nationals [MLB]
4. TCU Horned Frogs [NCAA]
5. Tampa Bay Lightning [NHL]

Iím a die-hard Patriots fan. Thatís my #1 team and my ultimate fan-boyism. I donít miss a game on TV and my Mondayís are basically shaped on how the team does on the field. Dukeís my second love as far as teams go. I try and watch as many games as possible but I donít get a ton on the television. Itís always tough making a bracket for the madness Ďcause you pull for Duke but I donít think weíve had a true National Title contender since 2010 when we won it all (think this year may be different though). Washington isnít weird when you think about the fact I was an Expos fan. TCU I was hoping to go to school at and then Tampa Bay is more following a player than the team. Steve Yzerman was my idol growing up and now that he runs Hockey Opís in Tampa Iíve followed him as opposed to staying loyal to the Red Wings.

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 11:41:05 PM »

ONE TEAM ... ONE SPORT.

That is all.

This guy gets it....

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM Pancho

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 02:20:49 AM »
I'll show some originality because all you guys keep swagger jackin Talon.

Most of my rooting desires fall out of relationship with family.  Specifically my older brother.  While being a mexican household my father was always into baseball.  We never once touched a soccer ball as kids but damned if my old man didn't make me my own bat from his job.

The entire family was/is Anaheim; now Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim fans.  Even I was as a young child.  But once I got to the age of reason I like any good brother wanted to rebel.  My eldest brother was always being compared to me. 6 years my elder we competed at everything including how big of a fan we were.  Him being older ... he could ALWAYS say he was a fan before I was and that ticked me off.  So in 1998 when the Diamondbacks inaugural season began and I was visiting family in Duncan, AZ I made the official conversion.

From then it was on and it has never stopped.  We're constantly hating on each others teams.  We're always comparing everything and for the brief moments that we were both doing well and in the playoffs we hoped for a World Series to settle it all.  Unfortunately for me my team has a habit of sucking it out but I can always hold it over his head that my team won the World Series before his did ... even if I only got to gloat for a year.

----

And for those of you listing multiple teams in the same sport ... in the same conference ... in the same league?  Know that I think less of all of you.

Reya Serra

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 02:46:37 AM »
But not in the same division.  Besides, I've clearly stated before my preference of the two when they go head to head.

GM Pancho

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 02:54:26 AM »
But not in the same division.  Besides, I've clearly stated before my preference of the two when they go head to head.

Only proving that you are not a fan of the other team. If you cant root for your team all of the time then ITS NOT YOUR TEAM.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 02:54:43 AM »
In my opinion, when it comes to following sports there are two things that can't be forgiven. 1. Switching teams. 2. Supporting more than one team in the same league. Switching from the family team when you're old enough to know better doesn't count for no.1

Tritch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 09:05:11 AM »
I don't really like sports. I'll watch football occasionally. I'm a Colts fan and a Packers fan. They're both family teams, and at least their in separate conferences so hopefully I don't get yelled at lol.

I'm more a fan of players than teams, like watching them play you know. Big fan of Peyton, Newton, Wilson, Welker. My favorite player will always be Dallas Clark. Yes, I understand how that sounds. But growing up watching him and Peyton connect, that's that shit I liked.

The only other sport I really watch or follow is UFC. I don't watch it often either, but if I have a spare Saturday I'll go to B-Dubs and try to catch the fights.

I played soccer for a couple years when I was a kid. Hated it.

My junior year of high school I started weight lifting with the football team to get myself in shape to try to break into the indies, and the coaches spotted me. We didn't have any skill at tight end. I was like 6'2" at that time. So they started pushing me harder, talking to me about playing football, promised me the starting Tight End position. So obviously I was super pumped about it. Kept working out through the next few months, and then summer football camp came up and they threw me out there without teaching me anything and yelled at me when I didn't know what I was doing. In Green Bay it's simply assumed that you grow up playing football or at the very least watching it, so they just assumed the same of me. So I left.

We lost that season. I blame them for not working with me. I obvs would've been the difference.  8)

So instead, I played rugby my senior year and just beat the fuck out of people. Loved that shit.

GM Garcia

• THE NPC KILLER
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 517
  • PANCHO ABANDONED ME IN A DERELICT COAL MINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
Are talking sports to watch or sports to compete in?

I'll answer both.

To watch I mostly only keep up with three, although with some of them I probably watch far too much.

1. Football (Soccer)

Growing up in the UK it is difficult not to be involved in this sport at some point or another, sure some areas have a preference towards Rugby and other sports, but by large, Soccer is what all the children play. I was brought up as a Manchester United fan by my pops, he wasn't a huge fan, but he took me to a few games, and I got to experience an FA Cup final at the old Wembley which is a memory I will always treasure. Manchester United lost to Everton on the day, but it was still a great experience. The live experience of the game is what drew me on and moulded me into a fully fledged fanatic in my teams, but as I grew older, I gravitated more toward my local team, Burnley. Initially, that was just out of practicality, given I could see live games on a regularly basis and not have to whore out my sisters in the process. (That would come with the gambling problems). I've had a couple of seasons as a season ticket holder, and I have been fortunate in that both of those years, we were promoted to the EPL. Depressingly, the following years, I could never afford it. So I'm reduced to the occasional mid-week game, or cup-tie to keep me sated. En masse singing, dancing, and general lewd behaviour all whilst watching the team you love. It doesn't get much better than that!

As for the teams I hate? Whoever is facing Burnley that week. Oh. And Everton, of course.

2. MMA

I'm not going to generalise it to the UFC, as I try my best to watch as many different shows as I can, and the most enjoyable cards I have watched were through PRIDE, albeit retrospectively. I wish I was aware of the sport at the time, as the the competition between the two was akin to WWE vs WCW and lead to a more entertaining product on both sides. The UFC today IS the sport, unfortunately, they have the best fighters, they have best shows, they have the important fights. And whilst I can't not watch them, sometimes it is somewhat begrudgingly. I'm not a fan of Dana White, or some of the politics involved, and I see trends developing in the UFC that are having a negative effect on the sport as a whole. But I'll keep watching, and one day I'll go see a show live (just weighing up if I can handle the douchbaggery, I imagine it'd be like a Metro family reunion).

3. Darts

I have no idea what I find so captivating about this sport, but man does it get me hard... not literally, but with all the overweight, sweaty, half-drunk louts that step up to the ochy, you couldn't blame me. I don't know what else to say about it, I don't have a favourite player or person in the game, I am just an un-biased fan.

Now for the sports I play/played:

I don't compete much these days, but back in the hey day of shoulder acne and broken voices, I was quite the athlete. Like TJ, I shot up at an early age, and was around 6'5 before I knew it, so the sports just kind of picked me. At high school, I played Soccer, Rugby and Basketball, with the occasional Badminton tournament. Sport at high school is not nearly as prestigious in the UK as it is in the States, so there isn't really anything impressive about this expect whilst maintaining a spot on all these teams, I also maintained a healthy interest in Warhammer and was still somehow accepted as one of the boys. Basketball I never excelled in, I could never remember the rules, and we had a couple of lads who were brilliant, rebound and pass, rebound and pass, rebound and... you get the picture. Rugby is fun, and something I feel everyone should get involved in at some stage of their life, as it is quite therapeutic. Again, I was never too great at it, but I always saw it as quite mundane, outside of the throwing yourself into other people part. I did have a crowning moment, during an exhibition game, I was given the ball and was clean through for a trie, pumped up with adrenaline, I pulled a Forrest Gump and ran straight out of the field.

Never played again.

Soccer, I have played from the age of 5 up until a few years ago, I still get the craving at the weekends. I liked to think I was a bit of a no nonsense defender, got stuck in whenever I got the chance, my only weakness was that I ran like a lame gazelle, and had a habit of loosing my footing at the worst moments. My high school coach called me Bambi, once. Which obviously made it a nickname. My uni years managed to shed the nickname, but I made the mistake of having simply 'Gav' printed on the back of my shirt... which from a distance, can easily be misread as something.

Therefore, the last team I played competitively for, I was affectionately known as 'Gay Gav'

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »
To throw in my two cents:

I'm a Patriot in the NFL and a Devil in the NHL, and have been for many years. Slowly getting into NBA, with the Thunder looking set to become my chosen team (after developing a liking through watching a few recent game highlight packages of various teams and reading articles on the NBA).

As for my "home" sports. Half follow Wasps in Rugby, but fully behind the England team. Keep up with my local Peterborough Phantoms in the English Ice Hockey Premier League.  Very little interest in UK Football (but make sure to know enough to partake in social conversation).

To throw out a few memories:

- I recall being at the Peterborough Showground when the local team (Panthers) won the Speedway Elite League in 06, coming back from a first leg deficit to secure victory in the very last race of the night. Was crazy loud, especially when the riders crossed the finish line. This was at a time I was more into motor racing.

- The Rugby World Cup final in '03. Like how those alive for '66 go on about the memory, our RWC victory will forever be one I cherish. Watched the match back on youtube recently and got goosebumps again at the sight of the winning drop goal going over.

- Patriots Superbowl a few weeks back. My third Superbowl I've stayed up to watch live (also watched the previous two live having recorded a couple prior to that to watch at more sensible times), and a great feeling to be on the winning end after the recent pair of losses (DAMN THOSE GIANTS!)
- Linking from this, I've only been to the US once... I was in New York in '08 a week after the Patriots lost the SB to the Giants (The 18-1 season), and spent the week having some nice conversations about the game, including one with a security guard (I've no idea why this one sticks out in my memory but it does) which showed me that US Sporting Rivalries are a bit less aggressive than ours over here, which tend to involve a whole lot of violence.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
  • GM of the Eastern Conference Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 08:51:33 PM »
Favorite Sports/Teams:
Football - KC Chiefs
Wrestling
Baseball - Philadelphia Phillies
Hockey (although I've fallen out of the loop the last few years) - Philadelphia Flyers
(Used to like basketball, but compared to what I grew up watching, the NBA is shit on a stick right now)

Can't stand college sports or auto racing.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
While I was in America, I went to one baseball game in San Diego. It was against the Diamondbacks. It took so long to get into the stadium that I missed the first three runs (and pretty much nothing happened for the rest of the game). I couldn't believe how cheap the tickets were, how easy it was to get food and drink and how calm the fans were. It's a totally different experience to attending live football in the UK. Nobody even called any of the players a cunt or threw anything at the away fans.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »
BC if you call them a cunt you get banned, you know this.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
  • GM of the Eastern Conference Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 10:31:26 PM »
Oh, and I agree with the Panch.  1 team per sport.

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »
I'll throw my two cents in.

My favorite sport is basketball. Grew up (and still live in) a town that, at least used to be, a good basketball town.... at least for our level (small school in Vermont.) When I was in high school we were state runner-up in our division my junior year, Champions my senior year. Our senior class was big on basketball. We'd play all off-season, in the gym and at our town park, and attended team camps in the summertime. This wasn't big time hoops, considering our team's tallest starter was 6'4".... not exactly sending guys to the NBA, but against schools our size we were legit.

I'd say over the years Football has become my next favorite. Because of the size of my school we didn't have a football program. Sucked for me because it would probably have been my best sport. I've been an avid watcher of the game since the 80s.

#3 for me is golf. Started playing as a little kid, got to be a part of the first team at my school, and worked as a caddy in the summer for 15 years. I never got very good at the game, but always enjoyed being on the course on a nice summer day, and watch most of the PGA tournaments.

Up next I'd go with baseball. Played little league and one year in high school (split between JV and Varsity). Had a pretty good eye as a hitter, decent fielder of a grounder, but couldn't field a flyball to save my life.

Soccer would be next. Played from age 5 to the end of school, and had fun playing all through school, but don't love it as much as I used to.

After that there are sports I'll watch (hockey, tennis, etc.) but not a lot of love for them.

As for teams:

#1 is and always be the Boston Celtics. Grew up with Larry Bird as my idol, been a fan as long as I can remember. My favorite sports moment was being able to go to Game 6 of the 2008 NBA finals. The Celtics won the title for the first time since 1986 by beating the Lakers (most hated team) by 39... it was incredible to be there.

#2 is the Oakland Raiders, a team my dad made me a fan of. Obviously been rough for a while now, but still a fan.... and oh yeah..... BRADY FUMBLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TUCK RULE IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 is the New York Mets, another favorite team I shard with my dad. Not quite old enough to remember their last title (I was only 6 and didn't get to stay up and watch), but I've gotten to go to quite a few games over the years and even saw a spring training game a few years back. I like baseball on TV, but live is much better.

#4 is Notre Dame football... My dad, uncles, and cousins are all Nebraska fans, but it didn't stick with me. ND was pretty much the only team I could watch each week in this area back in the 80s so I became a fan.

#5 is Georgia Tech Basketball. They had a player who played high school ball in Vermont back in the 80s so my dad was a fan and it rubbed off. They suck now so it's probably why I don't pay as much attention to college hoops these days as I used to...

For hockey I don't have a team. I just pay attention to the teams that have players from the University of Vermont. Soccer is Manchester United, because they showed some of their games here back in the day. Like Kirk my favorite era was the 90s with guys like Cantona (favorite player), Schmeichel, and Roy Keane. Don't watch them much these days, but would still consider myself a fan.

I watch some of the free MMA fights on TV, but wouldn't really call myself a fan. Same with boxing.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

Reya Serra

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 12:21:55 AM »
While I was in America, I went to one baseball game in San Diego. It was against the Diamondbacks. It took so long to get into the stadium that I missed the first three runs (and pretty much nothing happened for the rest of the game). I couldn't believe how cheap the tickets were, how easy it was to get food and drink and how calm the fans were. It's a totally different experience to attending live football in the UK. Nobody even called any of the players a cunt or threw anything at the away fans.

When I went to Phoenix last May I went to a Diamondbacks game, ironically against the Padres.  Got to sit right behind the pool, which I thought was awesome, and for surprisingly cheap.

Oh, and I agree with the Panch.  1 team per sport.

#HatersGonnaHate #DealWithIt #KansasCityChiefsSuck :P

GM Pancho

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 02:32:44 AM »

THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH AMERICA!!!

Tritch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »
I can see where you might think that, but that's a prime example of what I mentioned earlier. People buying those jerseys aren't necessarily a fan of both teams, they're a fan of the player.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
Favorite Sports:

1. Basketball (specifically college; the NBA isn't a whole lot of fun these days)
2. Football
3. Golf
4. Baseball
5. Booger Eating
6. Hockey

Favorite Teams:

1. Basketball - College: Duke Blue Devils; NBA: I don't really have one, root more for individual players than teams.
2. Football - Washington Redskins
3. Baseball - Atlanta Braves
4. Hockey - Pittsburgh Penguins if I absolutely had to pick a team.

Least Favorite Teams:

1. Dallass Cowboys
2. University of North Carolina Tarholes - and I struggle to use the word 'university' and not replace it with 'diploma factory'
3. Los Angeles Lakers
4. Miami Heat
5. Kentucky Wildcats

I've always been a diehard basketball fan.  I grew up playing five sports all throughout high school (basketball, football, baseball, wrestling, and track).  I was the quarterback, despite us basically abandoning the pass, and running an option based wing-T offense.  There was probably a correlation between me being quarterback and us not throwing much.  I mostly was a DH in baseball with an occasional relief pitching appearance.  Basketball was my love through and I ended up walking-on at a division one school where I did nothing but hold the pads for 4 years.

I'm now a basketball coach at a local high school.