Author Topic: TEAM: RAPID CITY INFERNO  (Read 94803 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
TEAM: RAPID CITY INFERNO
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »

Team Information
City: Rapid City, SD
Conference:  Western
Division: North
Team Owner: Bobby Burns
Team Secretary: Ashley Smolders

Official Colors:

Crimson (#990000)
Orange (#D64309)

Team History:
Bobby Burns is a famed TV show host from the hit TV game show "Burning Money." Burns retired from the game show world last year but instead of taking his big money and retiring on a Caribbean island, he would instead start his own HIFL franchise and use his money to fuel South Dakota's first professional football team.

The Inferno are named after their owner's trail blazing history as the first billionaire game show host, now the team looks to heat up the Western Conference with blazing speed. 

The team is looking for a GM who can attract fans to the Rapid City brand and the team wants to do it with a high profile offense.

Season 6: 10-6 [GM Gates]
Season 7: 9-7 [GM Gates]
Season 8: 13-3 [GM Gates]
Season 9: 14-2 [GM Gates]
Season 10: 9-7-0 [GM Gates]

Playoff Appearances:
Season 6: (Conference Semi Finals)
Season 8: (Impact Bowl VIII Champions)
Season 9: (Impact Bowl 9 Champions)
Season 10:

RETIRED NUMBERS:
none

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:37:43 PM by Talon »
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: RAPID CITY INFERNO
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 04:23:06 PM »

Hello and Welcome, I am your owner Bobby Burns and it's time to Burn Bobby's Money!

That's right, I'm looking for one lucky GM who can come in, take over, spend my money, and bring fans, championships, and success to this great city. 

Are you that lucky man or woman?  Come on down and try your luck!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:00:01 PM by Talon »

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 04:23:11 PM »

Hello, my name is  Ashley Smolders, I am the secretary here in Rapid City.  If you are interested in applying for the General Manager position here, please post your application and any other comments here.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:00:25 PM by Talon »

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Good day! My name is C.J. Gates and I am interested in applying for the General Manager position here in Rapid City. I've lived my life by the motto of "go big or go home" and am looking to bring that same mentality to the HIFL.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:44:07 PM »

Welcome Welcome C.J. We are happy to have you as a contestant here on Burn Bobby's Money! Tell me something exciting about yourself while we wait for a few more lucky contestants! 

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Glad to be here, Mr. Burns.

As for me, well I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie and I enjoy defying gravity. Bungee jumping, sky diving, base jumping, I've done it all and I would do it all again. But don't worry, that wouldn't keep me from doing my job as a GM. To me, it's just another exciting adventure to embark upon.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »

Well that is WONDERFUL!  Wow, a daredevil in our midst everyone!

BOB LISTENS TO THE STUDIO AUDIENCE APPLAUSE TRACK

That's an exciting life C.J. ...Tell me this, what do you think you could bring to a football team like ours?

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
Well, Mr. Burns, personally I would bring my positive, winning attitude and my high risk nature to put together a great team here in Rapid City. What kind of team, you ask?Well, I always enjoy watching teams that put up crazy amounts of points on a weekly basis and that is what I want to bring to the Inferno. A blazing offense that will leave our opponents burnt and our fans in a frenzy. That doesn't mean I would neglect the defense - after all you need to stop the other team from scoring more points - I just might take those high risks needed to get some premiere offensive players.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »

TERRIFIC!  That's just what I am looking for here in Rapid City! A Rapid attack that burns and blazes!  Boy-o-boy that's beautiful.

Let's go with one more question, you say you like to take risks and so do I!  Would you be willing to take my advice on a big gamble in free agency on a one year deal for a dynamic playmaker, even if he has a checkered past?

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
This is your team, Mr. Burns, and if you had an opinion or advice on a certain player, I would definitely take it, especially if that dynamic playmaker could push us closer to that blazing offense. As far as the checkered past goes, well it might depend how checked that past is. It might take some fact checking to see if it's checkered because of the man or the situation the man was in.

Though sometimes you just have to roll the dice and take chances like that. Like I said when I first came in here, "go big or go home". Sometimes you've got to take a chance on a dynamic player with a questionable past if it fits the sort of team we are trying to build.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 09:27:49 AM »

C.J... I think we have a winner... What do you all think?

BOB LISTENS TO THE "STUDIO AUDIENCE" TRACK BEGIN TO ROAR WITH APPROVAL! BELLS AND WHISTLES ENSUE AS TACKY GAME SHOW MUSIC BEGINS TO PLAY!

Congratulations CJ! You are the first General Manager of the Rapid City Inferno!!!!!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »

GM Gates, I know you are currently on vacation, but if you are interested in getting an early start on interviewing potential coaching candidates, I have attached a list of who we expect to be available once the off-season begins. 

Feel free to place some calls and feel some coaches out.  We will not be allowed to extend offers until the offseason, but it may be good to establish some rapport with them before the APL, or other GM's have a chance to get to know them.  Please mind that the names highlighted in grey are currently under contract and will not be accepting phone calls.   

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »
Thank you, Ashley. I might be on vacation, but that doesn't mean I don't have time to talk to some of the coaches and see who might be a good fit with what I'm planning to build here in Rapid City.

With that said, could you please get me in touch with Bernard McCarthy? Thanks, Ashley.

----------

Mr. McCarthy, how are you doing? Name's C.J. Gates, the General Manager of the Rapid City Inferno. I've seen and heard a bit about what you were capable of doing at UCLA, very impressive. I feel as though the way you run an offensive minded team fits with my vision for the Inferno. I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about yourself and your coaching philosophy.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »

Hello Mr. Gates, thank you for the call.  I am happy to tell you more about my system.  You see my son and I cooked up great schemes at UCLA.  We ran a fast paced offense that was very balanced.  We ran a little more in the early downs, but we liked to open up the playbook and give our QB control over the field, especially in short yardage.

I believe a team needs quality playmakers at the skill positions, WR and RB specifically, and you need a smart and accurate QB.  Deep shots down the field are overrated to me, but if you can be precise and smart with your throws the field shrinks after every play..  As far as defense goes, I honestly tend to leave that all in the hands of my coordinator, I know about defense, but I like to focus on the offense while my DC molds the D in his image.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »
Quality playmakers at skill positions are what I am going to be looking for. My aim is to build a team with a great, in your face offense, one that incorporates both the running game and the passing game, much like what you described about your own system.

You mentioned quality playmakers, but when it comes to a running back, are you a coach that prefers to have a feature back, or would you be more at home with a committee type approach, something where two guys could share the workload?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »

When I was in the pros, I was very much into running a featured back, a certain guy who wore "21" in San Diego comes to mind... but in the college game, we had so many talented SoCal kids wanting to come play for us that I was pretty much converting my gameplan to a committee approach out of necessity, so I'd say I can handle either set up, but if it were up to me and in a "perfect" scenario, I'd definitely go with one featured back, with a solid back up behind him, but prepared to see limited playing time..

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 08:55:52 PM »
Good to know. I like to lean towards a feature back myself, however with the Inferno being an expansion team, it might not be as easy to come across, so a committee might be where we go to start.

I'm assuming that you, like me, feel that a skillful, intelligent and accurate QB is the top priority when it comes to a building an expansion team, but what would you say is the next most important position on the field to fill?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »

If there is a proven "Franchise" quality left tackle available, you have to take him, but they are hard to come by, and it might be easier to find one in the draft.  If the Tackle isn't there, then I say you go for your top shelf running back or a superstar wide receiver.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »
Sounds like we are on the same page there, Mr. McCarthy.

One more question, and this might seem like an odd one, but when it comes to a tight end, do you prefer one who is a catch-first type TE, or do you lean more towards a TE that can provide some blocking help, and allow the QB to find his receivers?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »

If we are running with a featured back, I'd prefer a blocking tight end, they might not "grade out" like Block or Herzog, but they grade the road and open holes for a running back, but if I am looking to run by committee then I'd go hard for a pass catching tight end, one who can add another dimension to our game.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »
Again, good to know. I like a TE capable of adding that extra receiving dimension, however you're right, it will depend on the team.

The news article that was released didn't say so directly, but would you be looking to work with your son in the HIFL or are you both just looking to land jobs somewhere, whether that's on the same team or not.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »

I'd love for Patrick to come coach for me here and get some professional experience as an OC, he was a QB coach for me in San Diego before we moved to UCLA, but I know while he would be happy to come work with me as the OC, he is also "okay" with moving on to another organization as a coordinator.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »
Given what the two of you did in UCLA, we would love to bring the two of you in together if the cards fall right. If you guys can create a similar type of offensive success that you did then, it would be right up our alley.

I know we've been talking about the offensive side of things since you said you like to leave the defensive stuff up to the DC, however I would still like to touch on the defense, but only slightly. Are you open to whatever type of defensive system the defensive coordinator or do you have a rough preference of what you'd like your DC to run?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 10:35:52 PM »

When I first started off I was a DC for the Redskins, I ran a 3-4 defense but when I became a head coach I decided to run a 4-3 due to my coordinators. 

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »
Sounds good to me. Sounds like you would be okay with whatever the DC prefers. Definitely helps with planning. I'm really liking what I've heard here.

At this point, do you have any questions for me?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 11:06:04 PM »

No sir, I am happy with what we discussed. I look forward to hearing from you again later down the line. 

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 05:12:00 AM »
We will definitely be in touch further down the line, coach McCarthy. Thanks for taking the time to speak with me.

----------

Ashley, let's complete the family connection. Can you please get me in touch with Patrick McCarthy? Thanks.

----------

Hello Mr. McCarthy. This is C.J. Gates, General Manager of the Rapid City Inferno. I'll be frank with you. We're looking to build an offensive team that racks up points and yards, and I have this vision of having you and your father recreate some of the success you have had in UCLA. I recently spoke with him, so now I thought I should speak with you, get your thoughts and opinions on things. Perhaps you could tell me a bit more about yourself and your coaching philosophies.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 06:09:31 PM »

Hello GM Gates, here is a brief history of what I have done in football.  I was a QB in high school but had a concussion that stopped me from playing at California so I ended up latching on with my dad as his QB coach.  I relate well with players since I'm a younger guy, you know?  I worked my way up to offensive coordinator by the time we reached UCLA and have been working hard at crafting offensive talents ever since.  I hope to one day expand my experience and become a head coach, but I know right now i'm better suited as a coordinator in the pros. 

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »
Awesome to hear, Mr. McCarthy. Having been a former player, I'm sure that works well in tandem with being able to relate to the players.

As an offensive coordinator, what is your game plan like? Is it similar to your fathers or do you prefer to play a different style?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 08:19:39 PM »

Dad and I share the same strategy when it comes to play calling.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 08:27:25 PM »
Ah, very nice. Always good when everyone is on the same page.

Is it safe to assume, then, that you are similar to your father in the preference of a featured back in a perfect scenario?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »

I like consistency on offense, I really like having a solid set of starters and focusing on them instead of spreading the ball around a larger number of talents in rotation.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »
Good to know.

One question I have is about your aspirations. You and your father both mentioned that you might want to take some time to get a chance to show what you've got before making the jump to a head coaching position. That is something I can definitely understand and respect. My question is, would you be at all tempted by a head coaching offer or are you strictly looking for an OC slot?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »

While I wouldn't turn down a contract as a head coach, I think most people would know from talking to me that I am not prepared to become a head coach at this time.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »
Fair enough.

Those are all the questions I have for you at the present time. Is there anything you'd like to ask me?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 09:16:39 PM »

No sir, not at this time, I just appreciate you giving me the time to interview. I hope to work with you in the future.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
I hope so too, Mr. McCarthy. Thanks for taking the time to come in and speak with me.

----------

Let's change gears here, Ashley. Can you get me in touch with Anthony Stevens, please?

----------

Mr. Stevens, how are you doing today? My name is C.J. Gates, GM of the Rapid City Inferno. I'm just doing some initial interviews for the upcoming season and was wondering if you could tell me a bit about you and your coaching philosophies.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »

Hello??  I play to win the game!  I coached a lot of my career in the midwest.  I started off coaching in the college game at Kansas and then after 7 years of swarming defense, I got the offer to go to New York. I coached there for 4 years before going to Kansas City where I coached until two years ago.  I've been a defensive coordinator but mainly I spent the last 15 years of my career as a head coach. I like having good coverage on defense, running out of a base nickle package with really good defensive backs, and on offense I was big on a high pass volume game.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
I like the sounds of that Mr. Stevens. When it comes to offense, I am looking to build something high octane and high profile, an offense that puts up yards and puts up points. Defensively, well, I love a defense that can make the opposing QBs life hell, whether that's through the rush or by eliminating his targets with some good down field coverage.

Since you've been both a head coach and a defensive coordinator, are you look for one of those roles specifically over the other? Or are you happy with either?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »

I'd like to continue as a head coach, but if the money is right I would still work as a Defensive Coordinator.  I will say though, just because I like to pass the ball, I am not a guy who runs a fast paced offense.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 10:09:29 PM »
Good to know. Though it sounds like your defensive ideals might match what I'm looking at in that respect.

When it comes to players on the defensive side of the ball, what would you say is the number one priority to look for to build around?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 10:40:47 PM »

A true shutdown cornerback and a safety with the speed and strength to change games.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »
Good to know, good to know.

At this time, is there anything that you wanted to ask me?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 06:29:28 PM »

Nope, but I look forward to our next meeting.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »
So do I. Thanks for your time.

---------

Ashley, can you get me in touch with Ken Graham, please?

---------

Mr. Graham, how are you doing this evening? Name's C.J. Gates and I'm the GM of the Rapid City Inferno. We are doing some initial interviewing and I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about yourself.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »

Whats up dude, here is a little taste of what I bring to the table as a DC bro. SPEED, STRENGTH, AND ATTITUDE!  They say I brought the "attitude era" to Auburn football, and man they weren't kidding bro.   I like speed from the Safeties to the Defensive Tackles, and we run WILD with exotic blitzes and confusion along the defensive front to really throw off the Quarterback... Bro, I'm telling you, offenses get into little hissy fits when my defense lines up with the right personnel.  QB's get their girdles in a bunch, bro. You get me speed and I'll get you the ball with a short field.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2015, 07:43:39 PM »
That sounds excellent, Ken. That's the kind of defense I am hoping to bring to Rapid City. One that leaves opposing QB's scrambling and unable to succeed. Something to compliment a smash mouth offensive attack.

Give me a bit more detail on this "attitude era" you're talking about. Was it just the style of play or was there more to it?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »

I encourage my players to be aggressive, not just on the field, but in life!  Does it make them a little louder off the field, yeah it does, but it's because I breed Winners bro, winning on the field leads to winning in life, and winning in life makes you continue to breed winners, and at Auburn that is what is all about. 

Now don't get me wrong here bro, our attitude era wasn't a party era, we weren't doing things like the U in the 80s, I want my kids to be clean, but they have to have the swagger and the mouth of a warrior that spit fire... like an Inferno.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:12:45 PM by Talon »

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2015, 10:14:56 PM »
Music to my ears, Mr. Graham. If there's one thing I like about a player, it's a player that's got that fire burning inside of him to be the best on the field every time he steps out there. The kind of attitude you're describing, that's the kind of attitude I would love to see on my team and not against us.

What position would you prioritize as the most important piece on a defense to build around?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »

Any of them with speed.  Best and fastest player available on defense, that's what I want.  I really love ridiculously fast safeties with size and good hands.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:12:34 PM by Talon »