Author Topic: TEAM : DC COBRAS  (Read 97133 times)

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM : DC COBRAS
« Reply #2200 on: May 25, 2019, 06:51:54 AM »
That was one of the most frustrating victories I have ever witnessed. Defensively we were brilliant. This is the sort of thing I was looking for when I hired Coach Graham to lead this team and it's the sort of performance that must have our rivals worried for next season. What frustrated me was that our offence decided not to show up. We forced plenty of turnovers, like we did against Michigan, but then did nothing with those. It's almost like they were waiting for Sasser to win the game for them. It was pathetic and against a team we should have battered. There are plenty of guys on this roster who are sitting comfortably and just coasting this year. A lot of them are going to get a shock this offseason. Out of the players we have heading to free agency, right now I'd only offer contracts to maybe 3 of them. Not all of the lads with time remaining should be confident they'll still be here next season either. What we're looking for is guys who want to be the best they can be and want to win all there is to win. There is 1 game left for lads to change my mind about them and to show me they belong here. Our record this year is not because of a lack of talent, it's been a lack of effort. That will not be tolerated again.
------

Coach, great defensive display let down by lacklustre offence. I know we won but the result is far less important than the performance. Let's focus on the good though. I may have a deal in place for an elite LB and a D-lineman with the versatility you look for. Before I pull the trigger on that I'd like to know you assessment of our front 7. Particularly the DEs and LBs, excluding Stevens. Right now I'd only re-sign Stevens out of our departing LBs.

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 25, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »

Alright lets start with DE's. 

Sean Johnson is getting older, but has set career highs in each of the last two seasons in sacks.  He's got a great combination of strength and speed, but he /is/ starting to see his endurance drop with age.  He's one of the best leaders on the team, and since he's been here for 6 seasons, he's a guy we really need on the roster.

Dallas Lovell sucks.  No sugar coating it.  Moving on.

Anthony McLaughlin is right at an age where he is expected to be in his prime.  He's got a solid speed/strength combine like S.J. but just not quite as strong or quite as fast. Love his work ethic and attitude.  He's one of those guys who cares about winning more than money which is a good attitude to have in the locker room.  Unfortunately he's not a big leadership guy, so his personality isn't a big factor on the younger kids.  Stat wise, he's basically duplicated last years numbers with a drop in TFLs, but hey 14 sacks is 14 sacks, and that's valuable.

Taco Tipton has all the tools to succeed but his football IQ is non existent and his tackling suffers for it, combine that with a shitty work ethic in practice and it makes for a bad attitude and a guy who isn't living up to his potential with us.  Its a shame, because his size and skill set make him a great 4-3/3-4 hybrid guy in a perfect world.

Moving to the DT's we have Luis and Ryan Peacock.

Luis is a selfish type but he does go after it on the field because he knows to make his money he has to be a good player.  His strength is solid and his tackling isn't bad but he wears down as the game goes on and he pretty much traded his 5 sacks last year for 5 TFL's this year.  Not exciting numbers, but he does help the linebackers get to the ball.

Ryan also mirrored last years numbers which weren't amazing or anything, but Ryan does show a better work ethic and attitude overall.  They are twins and very similar in their skill sets, so if you're happy with their numbers and think of them more as lane cloggers its fine, but if you want guys with pass rushing upside, then I don't think these guys project long term.

Now for the 'Backers

The same goes for Lucas Johnson, but he also has some leadership skills and despite his average speed, he has fantastic tackling form. He did decently in coverage this year too with 2 INTs, and only really allowing about 50% of passes thrown his way to be completed.

Irvin Schofield is similar to Tipton in that his attitude sucks and his work ethic is a joke, which is wasting great speed and tackling talent.  He's like a less developed Stephen Cotter, but I don't think he has the tenacity to perform like him.

Larry Stevens is the GOAT. Period.

Billy Z has a consistently good work ethic and plays a good game.  He doesn't have a quality that jumps off of the page at you, his speed is only slightly above average but his IQ is above average as well.  Injuries have slowed him down a little in the conditioning department, so he fades at times, I think that's part of why his tackles dipped so much from previous seasons.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 25, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
Thank you for the very thorough breakdown. That has helped me make some decisions. On a more general thought, how do you find the roster as a whole?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 25, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »

I think you're a good GM and between GM Jon who was here before you and then you after, the team has had the fortune of some good decisions.  Best tackle in the game, best linebacker in history, a talented young QB.. Lots of good pieces and most of them have championship experience which will help the younger guys.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 26, 2019, 08:01:14 AM »
Thanks Coach. I think you and I are going to be a good fit.
I have a pretty good idea of what I plan to do with this team in the offseason but I'd like to look at a few of the lads we don't normally use. Defensively that'll be Blais, Reynolds, Thurston and Tipton. On offence I would like to look at Conti, Pike and Roman. I'll let you get back to prepping for this week. I know I'm making changes but it's still very important that we beat the Dragons. Could you send Larry Stevens to see me.
-----

Larry, I promised your agent that I'd speak to you about the change of management. You're a very important player here and one everyone respects. I also want to involve you and the other senior players more in the discussions in future.
What's your view of Coach Graham and the new system?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: May 26, 2019, 02:46:27 PM »

Being honest, I thought he was an arrogant asshole when he first arrived, but after sitting through team meetings and film work with him, seeing how he coaches out on the practice field and how he acts during the games, I realized that its not arrogance, its confidence.  He's a confident guy who has the attitude he wants the players to have. He knows he's Good at what he does, and he wants us to know we are good at what we do too.  He's not like any coach I've ever played for before, he's aggressive, high energy, loud and in your face.. where Coach Saint and Coach Farmer were both more laid back.  Its a different atmosphere, but I like it.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: May 27, 2019, 12:49:26 AM »
ROSTER CHANGES MADE - AUTOLOCKED

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: May 28, 2019, 05:00:33 PM »
S11 WEEK 18

NON-PLAYOFF TEAMS

1. Discuss your final game of the regular season.

It was a very disappointing end to a very disappointing season. Getting a win over New Jersey would have been a boost going into the offseason but I thought it was more important to give some of the fringe players a chance to show what they can do. Some took their chance and others told me their time is up. I'd rather focus on the positives this week though. Those came in the final quarter. Urban gave us a glimpse of what he can do to drive the team down field 3 times in that quarter. There's also the record equaling performance of Anthony Smith. He's unlikely to be celebrating but he derserves to be congratulated for that.

2. What was the most memorable win of the year for you?

The win against Rapid City right after Coach Farmer resigned. The team had an excuse to give up but they rallied around each other and Coach Prince and it was one of the proudest moments of my career.

3. Which loss stands out or stings the most?

The loss that stands out is our recent loss to Michigan. We looked great through large parts of that game but didn't have enough stamina to see it out. It showed that we have the talent to compete and also highlighted the areas where we need to improve. For those reasons it was as close to a good loss as you can get. Of course there's no such thing as a good loss and anyone who disagrees will struggle to win anything important.

4. Do you think you could have done anything differently this season to better your standings?

Absolutely and we're going to spend a long time going over those during the offseason to make sure a season like this is never repeated.

5. Who was your teams MVP this year?

I'm going to cheat. Offensive MVP is Smith and defensive MVP is Stevens. Both deserve to be in the conversation for the league wide player of the year awards too.

6. How do you grade your coaches performances this season?

The d-line and LBs have been consistently good all year and Coach Door plays a big part in that. I think he's a credit to the organisation. Coach Prince and Coach Houser came in to change up how we play this season. That's never an easy thing to do and I made that more difficult. We started 3 different QBs this year. That lack of consistency doesn't help but both coaches have got on with their jobs without complaint and I think we've got a very good coaching staff here. Coach Graham has made a huge impact on this team in the short time he's been here and I'm looking forward to a long and successful partnership. Assuming I keep my job.

7. Grade your own performance, how did this season compare to others.

Really? This season was nothing short of failure. I think that's pretty obvious. I take full responsibility for that. Until now my name has been synonymous with success. So how do you think the season compares?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: May 28, 2019, 05:27:44 PM »

I know we gave up a lot of points once I took over, but I hope we can work together next season to find the players we need to shore up the holes we find in our evaluation process and comeback next year ready to lock teams down and suffocate them.  I appreciate you giving me the chance to be a head coach, and I'm not gonna let you down.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: May 29, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
I'm not going to hold that against you. I expected there to be those sorts of bedding in issues and that's why I brought you in when I did instead of waiting. I'd rather we learned what we have now instead of finding out that we needed big changes part way through next season. I'm already confident I made the right choice. I'd like to discuss how we go about building your team before you head off on vacation but first I need to see if I still have job. I'll catch up with you after.
------

Lolly, I want to thank you for all of your hard work over the past 2 year. It is definitely appreciated. Could you find out if Mr Kiss is available to see me please?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: May 29, 2019, 03:23:38 PM »

GM Dazz, we discussed our not so sweet season we last chit chatted.. we now have a coach and quarterback they appear to be long-term answers which means we can be hopeful that you can right the ship next season.

This season was the saltiest, ugliest, and most bitter of years for us in a very long time. Next season will be what they call a make or break year, and I am sure that you plan on cooking up a sweet and surprisingly great year for me.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: May 29, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »
This season is going to leave a bitter taste I may never shake but I honestly feel we're in a very good position to build from now. Our success will taste all the sweeter for our suffering this season.  I completely agree about our HC and QB and I'm excited. Thank you for believing in me, Mr Kiss. I'll not make you regret it.
-----

Lolly, could you ask Coach Graham back up again?
-----

It seems you've got me for another season at least. Before we go our separate ways I want to put in a plan for UFA and our scouting pre-combine. I want to make sure I'm going after the right players. Other than Stevens I only plan to keep Zepeda or Johnson at LB. I have a deal agreed in principle for an experienced LB and I plan to bring Kyrgios into the first team. Tipton is one I'm on the fence about. I might make him available for trade but I'd like your opinion first.
I also want to bring in some additional depth at D-line. If you could design a guy for that role what would they look like?
Finally, in the secondary I'm tempted to only keep Thurston, Moya Camacho and Reynolds. Do you think it'd be a mistake to let Jeffries go? I just feel the secondary wasn't good enough so I'm tempted to rip it up and start again.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: May 29, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »

I agree with letting Jeffries go. He isn't a fit in my system. I need guys who can use their speed to stay with guys in one on one coverage.  I'd also dump Camacho. I had him in Vegas and I just don't care for him.  I prefer Zepeda over Johnson, and if I was setting up an ideal back up D-lineman it would be one who can play both inside and out, so strength is important, but so is agility.  You want a depth guy who can stop the run and give a little to the pass rush as well, OR you go straight pass rusher and only use him in passing situations.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: May 31, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »
I think I may have the d-lineman lined up so that's part of it sorted. If we allow Jeffries to go and trade away Camacho we'll need to rebuild our CB corps from scratch. That's not going to be easy to do, particularly with the new roster requirements meaning everyone is going to be looking for CBs. I will do what I can though. Thank you Coach. I'll let you get off on your vacation. We'll speak again before the combine.
------

Lolly, could I speak to Coach Houser please?
------

Hector, I wanted to let you know that I'm pretty pissed off about these new staffing rules brought in for next season. I think you've been doing a great job here and I would keep you on if I could. You clearly have a talent for this so I hope another team, preferably in the West, takes you on. Before you go, I have 2 questions for you. Would you be willing to take on a role at our training camp to help train the WRs if you don't get an OC spot elsewhere? Secondly, how do you rate the WRs now that you've worked with them for the season?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: June 01, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »

I am disappointed the league has change the coaching structure as well.  I don't want to move to Australia to coach, but I appreciate your offer.  I'll land on my feet.

As for the receivers, I'd say myers, Dodds, Young, Pike, Elrod, Roman, Stanton, then Cahill.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 09:06:48 PM by Talon »

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: June 02, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »
I really hope a team here in the HIFL hires you because you would be a big loss to the league otherwise. I'm sure the XFL will swoop in if my fellow GMs overlook you, though. Wherever you go I'll be keeping a close eye on your career and I hope we'll get you back on our coaching staff again in the future. Thank you for the update on the WRs. I will certainly keep that in mind. Thank you as well for all of your hard work this season and for the years you've served this organisation. I doubt you'll ever have to pay for a drink in the DC area again.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: June 03, 2019, 09:34:02 AM »

It's been a good time here in DC.  I'll always be open to working with you again down the road. 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: June 04, 2019, 03:13:03 PM »
That's very good to know. Good luck with your next project.
------

Lolly, could I speak to Coach Door please?
------

Coach, weve obviously seen a huge change in our defence this season. What do you think of it and are you comfortable coaching like this?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: June 05, 2019, 09:45:06 AM »

I think the aggressiveness gives me a hard on. I'm down to pound.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: June 07, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »
I just hope the players can contain theirs or it might be difficult for them to run. I'm glad you're on board. If I can get the right CBs it should be an exciting season. I'll let you get off on vacation, coach.

Lock in

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: June 09, 2019, 01:48:44 AM »

GM Dazz, we have a sweet-sweet $8MM to spend this off-season, I expect you to make the most of it.  See you around.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:56:39 AM by Talon »

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 10, 2019, 05:03:00 PM »
As you will have seen from the trade news, I have been working on improving the team already. I have my plans in place and targets already shortlisted. It doesn't matter to me that I'm one of the few GMs in the league without a contract as I know you're behind me.
------

Lolly, I know the players are on vacation but can I speak to Steve Wright please?
------

Steve, it's GM Dazz from the Cobras here. I wanted to call you to welcome you home to DC. The opportunity to pair you with Larry again in a Coach Graham defence was one I did not want to pass up on. I'm really looking forward to seeing you pull on the Black and Gold again.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:41 PM »

It's good to be back. Always good to be in a spot where the GM wants you, so I'm looking forward to playing in this system with these guys.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 19, 2019, 04:51:55 PM »
I'm sure you'll slot right back in. I'll let you enjoy the rest of your vacation now.
-------

Lolly, I'd better speak to John Young and his agent, Mike Maker. You'd better get me Benjamin Snyder as well.
-------

John, I've seen the news. I'm disappointed. My players should only be in the press for what they do on the field. What happened?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 19, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »

John is still locked up at the local PD... but yeah, it wasn't good. I'll let you speak to Benji..

This is very ugly.  Video of Mr. Young striking his female companion is on video, the body camera of him assaulting the law enforcement officer after the officer attempts to intervene on the female's behalf is just as damning.  ..It would take a few million dollars to make this go away, unless you want the stigma of allowing him to remain on your team, if he does not serve jail time.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 19, 2019, 05:28:28 PM »
For fuck sake. That sort of behaviour is completely indefensible.  I just traded Dodds away because I believed in John and planned to build around him. Mr Snyder, thank you for the advice. Mike... I have a lot of respect for you as an agent. Are you willing to stand behind a player who has been caught on film striking a female companion?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: June 19, 2019, 11:29:06 PM »

I'm not leaving a clients side in his darkest hour, that's not my style.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: Today at 03:09:11 AM »
It's not mine either. I'm going to speak to Mr Kiss about this. My intention is to suspend John for 8 games and his salary for those will be donated to women's shelters and charities that help survivors of domestic abuse. John will be doing work with those charities to see first hand how that kind of abuse can destroy lives. Are you on board with that?

Mr Snyder, I don't want to make this go away but I do want John to avoid prison. How expensive is that going to be?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: Today at 10:04:58 AM »

I believe I have convinced the female not to press charges, the local courts will not pursue it further, but I do believe a separate donation to a local domestic violence charity would be wise.