Author Topic: WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #3 - The Value of Words  (Read 1312 times)

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • Prediction Admin
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #3 - The Value of Words
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
WEEK 3 -  The Value Of Words

I'm sure we all have frustrations with how some parts of the English language* are used. We cringe at someone saying the wrong thing. We hold back a shout of “IT'S SAID LIKE THIS YOU IDIOT” as they fail to say it right for the sixth time... But hold back no more, as our second topic of discussion is words...

To start us off, here are a couple of ideas for you to pass thought upon before adding your own:

“I literally died”
No, you didn't. Had you literally died, you'd not be here to tell the story of your shame at doing whatever stupid thing you said/did/witnessed.

“He/She is a Legend
Certainly in sporting terms the word “legend” gets thrown around like it's another way of saying “did this in the past but doesn't any more”. The reverence held by the term seems to have diminished with it's increased use, with some calling for it to be reserved for only those who truly stand out. Can we ever go back to legends being legends, or is it time to create a new term for those with outstanding achievement in a field?

Don't forget, if you have a topic you'd like to suggest for a future discussion please PM it to me, along with any relevant links (e.g. for news items), with the subject line “Weekly Discussion Topic Suggestion”.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:04:38 PM by GM Corbin »
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1023
    • View Profile
Re: WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #3 - The Value of Words
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »
To start us of,

That should say 'To start us off'. 

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:15:06 PM »
Kirk wins...

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:06:47 AM »
I hate people say they could care less. Or they could give a rats ass.

It may be a localized thing here, but when people say "same difference" when you're talking about the same thing.

EX: "No, I'm not talking about the ending with Loki doing this, I'm talking about the alternate ending with Loki doing that."

"Whatever, same difference"

NO ITS NOT SAME DIFFERENCE, I AM TALKING ABOUT HOW SOMEONE DID AN ACTION RELATIVE TO HOW LOKI DID THIS, WHICH IS NOT THE SAME DIFFERENCE AS HOW SOMEONE DID AN ACTION RELATIVE TO HOW LOKI DID THAT.

3-2 is the same difference as 5234 - 5233!

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:07:48 AM »
People say same difference here too.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

Reya Serra

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 01:14:04 AM »
People misspelling words drives me crazy.

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »
People say same difference here too.

I hate the upper north east area more.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »
Isn't same difference just a throw away remark to cover one's embarrassment when you use the wrong example for something. It's basically just a way of saying "you know what I mean" or "close enough". "I could care less" or the "literally" mistake really drive me nuts because they were originally mistakes made by morons which have been repeated often enough to become more common than the correct usage. They are also defended by people who don't understand why they are wrong.

GM Garcia

• THE NPC KILLER
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 517
  • PANCHO ABANDONED ME IN A DERELICT COAL MINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »
Does anyone know the correct usage of 'Ironic', I'm always getting shit for getting it wrong, but I swear there doesn't seem to be a phrase in which it is correct for some people.

Tritch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 01:38:54 PM »
It's a hard term to pin down. It'd be something like, if someone told you the only way to get into a party was to bring beer, and then you got there with beer and they told you they already had enough beer. Well, that's ironic. It's a hard term to explain and to use correctly, I avoid it and I have an English degree lol.

Reya Serra

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
“I literally died”
No, you didn't. Had you literally died, you'd not be here to tell the story of your shame at doing whatever stupid thing you said/did/witnessed.

I was looking for the How I Met Your Mother scene where Ted complains about literally vs. figuratively and couldn't find it but found this instead...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa7TvxC2rgA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa7TvxC2rgA</a>

Does anyone know the correct usage of 'Ironic', I'm always getting shit for getting it wrong, but I swear there doesn't seem to be a phrase in which it is correct for some people.

This might help.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc</a>

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • Prediction Admin
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »
That should say 'To start us off'.

Indeed it should, and now does.

I hate people say they could care less. Or they could give a rats ass.

Agree with this one, as it seems so easy to see the flaw in it, but people often don't realise and get annoyed when corrected (using the "same difference" defense).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VoscbQA3lM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VoscbQA3lM</a>
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
There are different forms of irony, which makes it a pain to pin down. I suppose the most common interpretation is of situational irony. The following is the best explanation I've come across:

"Situational irony, sometimes called irony of events, is most broadly defined as a situation where the outcome is incongruous with what was expected, but it is also more generally understood as a situation that includes contradictions or sharp contrasts. . . . An example would be a man who takes a step aside in order to avoid getting sprinkled by a wet dog, and falls into a swimming pool."