Author Topic: WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #5 - One New Rule  (Read 1455 times)

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • Prediction Admin
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #5 - One New Rule
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:32:12 PM »
WEEK 5 – ONE NEW RULE

The past few weeks have seen both the NHL GM Meeting and NFL Owner's Meeting take place, where the respective sports are discussed, and proposals are put forward for the enhancement of the game.

But why should they get all the fun. This week I'm challenging you to devise a rule you'd like changing/implementing to improve a sport (or sports) that you enjoy.

You may only create (or amend) one rule per sport, and that rule should not be reliant on further changes to make it work. Explanations as to why you want the rule changing/adding, and why it would improve the sport are essential... And feel free to challenge the ideas of others, after all, this is a discussion.

So, if you were given the chance, what would be your ONE NEW RULE?

Don't forget, if you have a topic you'd like to suggest for a future discussion please PM it to me, along with any relevant links (e.g. for news items), with the subject line “Weekly Discussion Topic Suggestion”.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:32:22 PM by GM Corbin »
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
Re: WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #5 - One New Rule
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 05:48:38 PM »
Instant replay review on "hits to the head" in the NFL.

Constantly players are fined for CLEAN, albeit violent and fast, collisions that are called "hits to the head" when it's clear that the shoulder of the defensive player is just smashing a guys chest at 100MPH.

That's what I'd change, because a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down in the 4th quarter of a close football game is too costly to let "slip" by due to a ref who is flag happy with protecting Tom Brady or any other golden child of the league.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
  • GM of the Eastern Conference Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:07:08 PM »
Let Skynet call the balls and strikes in a baseball game.  We have the technology.  Fuck the ump.

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
Skynet? Are you out of your fucking mind? You want Judgement Day?

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 13
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:42:23 PM »
Skynet? Are you out of your fucking mind? You want Judgement Day?

He just wants judgement on whether the pitch is a ball or a strike!

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 10:58:02 PM »
Instant replay review on "hits to the head" in the NFL.

Constantly players are fined for CLEAN, albeit violent and fast, collisions that are called "hits to the head" when it's clear that the shoulder of the defensive player is just smashing a guys chest at 100MPH.

That's what I'd change, because a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down in the 4th quarter of a close football game is too costly to let "slip" by due to a ref who is flag happy with protecting Tom Brady or any other golden child of the league.

This, but I want to add that coaches get a special "penalty" challenge flag that doesn't count towards their others.  You get one a half because watching LeSean McCoy get hits to the head while running go uncalled is BS and I know there are others like that.

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:52:09 PM »
No sports teams in Philadelphia ...

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 12:09:33 AM »
I would like to see the Premier League add playoffs for the third relegated team. The bottom two would go down as usual but then the next 4 teams would play to avoid the final spot. Two legs for the first round (losers have to play each other in the final). Adds more excitement and gives promoted teams a better chance of staying up.

TyTy

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »
Scrapping the shootout in nhl. Ties are okay with me

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »
Fuck shoot outs and ties. Sudden death or bust.

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:55:59 PM »
I like the way the NHL is now.

The shootout is exciting, but it's not good for the playoffs. So the NHL does sudden death overtime in playoffs.

I hope they don't change a damn thing. 

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 09:30:58 PM »
Why do Americans hste ties so much. If two teams cancel each other out, why force an arbritary result. Shootouts punish teams with good defence.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »
You win or you lose. There is no tie.

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 09:45:45 PM »
Why do Americans hste ties so much. If two teams cancel each other out, why force an arbritary result. Shootouts punish teams with good defence.

Because, if there is no winner or loser, than who can say they are better the next morning? When the standers are based on W/L record, ties don't help.

It is one of the big reasons soccer hasn't taken off in America. Along with the action in a game vs the action in a game say football, basketball, or hockey, the result of a tie leaves both fan bases dissatisfied and indifferent. It doesn't sell and in America, that is the most important thing.

Same reason why baseball is "dying". If not for soccer, they'd be the most "boring" sport to the majority of Americans. Shit if soccer could find a way to translate to TV better, baseball would be the least viewed sport in America.

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 13
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 09:54:21 PM »
Basically what they all said.

As far as shootouts go, I know some people don't enjoy them. And I think the NHL knows that too, which is why they are talking about potentially having a 3 vs. 3 overtime period. Apparently they do it in the minors/juniors or something, and it leads to less shootouts because there are usually more chances and whatnot.

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 10:01:17 PM »
Ummm... first... baseball isn't dying. And sure, you can call baseball boring. Just like I think basketball (NBA) is boring.

MLB is still the #2 sport in America.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 10:03:29 PM »
If you can't beat the other team in the allotted time limit you don't deserve the win.

The only way to make soccer more interesting in America is to scrap the wage cap and all the other strange rules the MLS has. You're never going to have a good league based around players making less than $1000 a week. Players in League 1 (the 3rd tier of English football) make more money than that. The MLS could be a powerhouse in world football if it wasn't held back or cut off from the rest of the world's talent by its own rules.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:04:51 AM by GM Kirk »

GM Garcia

• THE NPC KILLER
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 517
  • PANCHO ABANDONED ME IN A DERELICT COAL MINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »
This is an article which sums up why it will never get over in America, it is written by Ann Coulter and although she stated afterwards that it was 'satrical' she is still a vile person, who despite being incredibly racist, sexist and generally offensive, still gets plenty of airtime on Fox News.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/columnists/2014/06/25/coulter-growing-interest-soccer-sign-nations-moral-decay/11372137/

Personally, I think one of the main problems is that it is seen as a foreign sport, and pretty much anywhere but America it is known as the worlds greatest sport, which is bound to rub the overly patriotic Americans the wrong way as well, you know, nothing outside of America can be considered 'great'. I am not tarring all Americans with that brush, btw, just an observation on how a lot of Americans are perceived.

What they've tried to do with the MLS is a perfect example, by putting the restrictions they have on the league, they have negatively impacted the game and thus the public perception of it. I understand it may have been done to try and improve the public image of the game, by having it follow a similar format and ruleset to other American sports, but it became much more convulted and honestly, some of the rules just don't make sense.

I also understand that there is the issue of adapting the game into the sporting structure that America has. Something I have a lot of good things to say about, and whilst I enjoy Basketball and American Football, it is mostly that structure from high school up through college that I am envious of. The coverage for high school and college games, the importance added to them, the fact that these guys get an education as well as maintaining their development in the sport, it is fantastic when you compare it to say what happens in the UK. Where guys are brought into academies at around twelve years old if not younger, though most sign contracts around that age. Most dedicate themselves to the sport because they have to, most don't go through further education, and for the countless players that don't break through when they get into their late teens, they end up in a difficult position.

That is the one thing I would change in football, the grass roots development and structure. Mostly around the age of 12-14 years old, it isn't something that is given a lot of media attention, but there are lots of dodgy things going and it seems the FA's, UEFA and FIFA turn a blind eye to it. Young lads getting dragged around the world, with no real protection in their contracts, no real protection for the clubs that go to the effort of scouting them. The larger clubs have too much power, and when you look into leagues like the La Liga (Spanish), where Real Madrid is practically run by the government, it is hard not to think of corruption.

Then again, look at how corrupt FIFA is, the governing body of the sport is run by crooks, and likely always will be.

It's still the beautiful game though!

I also agree about shootouts, having to have a winner, unless it is a tournament format, for me it takes a lot of drama out of the games. An underdog battling hard and holding back a Goliath of a team, there is drama and excitement in that, that would be negated by a mandatory shootout. Overtime, I enjoy, but shootouts have a tendency to be like a flip of the coin. Not the kind of result I'd want if I were to invest myself into a game.