Author Topic: WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #7 - Stanley and Larry  (Read 668 times)

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #7 - Stanley and Larry
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:05:12 PM »
WEEK 7 – NHL/NBA PLAYOFFS 2015

On the night that the NHL Playoffs begin, and the final spots of the NBA Playoffs are determined, I thought I'd open the floor to discussions on both.

Tackle all the biggest questions: Who will cause the biggest upset? What will be the most controversial moment? Who do you want to win? Who WILL win? And what will we all be talking about when it's all said and done?

Let the discussion begin!

Don't forget, if you have a topic you'd like to suggest for a future discussion please PM it to me, along with any relevant links (e.g. for news items), with the subject line “Weekly Discussion Topic Suggestion”.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
Re: WEEKLY DISCUSSION TOPIC #7 - Stanley and Larry
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »
When it comes to the NHL...

Call me naive, but I think the Winnipeg Jets could make some waves in the playoffs. Them, along with the Flames and Senators, have been playing game 7 of the series for the past few weeks and I think they will carry that momentum over. It won't be easy for the Jets, facing the top team in the west, but I think that if they get the good goaltending they have been getting, they will push the Ducks.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Islanders and Flames advance. And also, how about that Western playoff setting? First round series of Chicago/Nashville and St. Louis/Minnesota? Makes for some good hockey (I say as Chicago is down 3-0 in game 1).

If I had to pick one team NOW to win it all? Tampa Bay Lightning. They might be one of the deepest teams in the East offensively, and as long as Bishop holds up, they should go far.

When it comes to the NBA...

Admittedly, I don't follow this as much. As a Toronto native, I am pushing for the Raptors, though I feel like they will only get to round 2 (which will still be huge for them, and they have a good chance at getting further if they face Atlanta in round 2, just because they do better against them then against Cleveland and Chicago).

I get this feeling that Golden State won't win the whole thing. They were crazy good all year, but I think that something will happen and they won't make the championship game. So many good teams in the West, too.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:58:59 PM »
I lost interest in the NHL a bit after the lock-out and rule changes (purely designed to hurt the Devils) so I'm not really up-to-date on who's doing what. I didn't even know that Winnipeg had a team. As the Devils are still a bit shit, I'd like to see one of the Canadian teams win the cup, though I'm not sure how likely that is.

As for NBA, I don't really like basketball but I'll be rooting for the Raptors. 

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:00:37 PM »
I lost interest in the NHL a bit after the lock-out and rule changes (purely designed to hurt the Devils) so I'm not really up-to-date on who's doing what. I didn't even know that Winnipeg had a team. As the Devils are still a bit shit, I'd like to see one of the Canadian teams win the cup, though I'm not sure how likely that is.

Best chance for that is probably Montreal. I think Winnipeg will upset some teams (Winnipeg is the former Atlanta Thrashers), but not get to the finals. And of the 5 Canadian teams in the playoffs, only 3 at most can make the 2nd round.