Author Topic: NFL in London  (Read 1044 times)

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
NFL in London
« on: April 25, 2015, 02:40:51 AM »
I have read that the NFL are planning 3 more games in London and are in advanced discussions about a possible London franchise to enter the league in 2020. Thoughts?

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
Re: NFL in London
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »
No. If anything, the NFL should help launch a UK-only league, they had the right idea with the NFL Europa, but too macro. A team would flop there, and the team they send there (because they're not going to expand because it takes money from the 32 owners already) is going to come back as a failure.

A UK-only league, something small 6-8 teams to start in the right markets would be the start of a successful idea and you never know, a couple years down the road, the NFL champion vs UKL champion in a true super bowl.

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »
No. If anything, the NFL should help launch a UK-only league, they had the right idea with the NFL Europa, but too macro. A team would flop there, and the team they send there (because they're not going to expand because it takes money from the 32 owners already) is going to come back as a failure.

A UK-only league, something small 6-8 teams to start in the right markets would be the start of a successful idea and you never know, a couple years down the road, the NFL champion vs UKL champion in a true super bowl.

This.

A franchise in London means that the teams that have to fly their as visitors are going to be at a potential disadvantage due to travel, unless the NFL has it set so that teams only go there after a bye week (though I don't know if that would be true, just my feelings on it). A UK league would work really well.

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »
This.

A franchise in London means that the teams that have to fly their as visitors are going to be at a potential disadvantage due to travel, unless the NFL has it set so that teams only go there after a bye week (though I don't know if that would be true, just my feelings on it). A UK league would work really well.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:11:39 PM »
Yeah, the logistics of having a team in London seems like a nightmare. The time difference between the West coast and London is 8 hours (pretty sure). That's way too big of an advantage, whether the game is in the US or UK.

The only way I could see it work is if the London team played games in blocks, such as playing 4 home games followed by 4 road, 4 home, 4 away, or something like that, and as Gates said giving the team travelling to London a bye week after that game.

It's a cool idea to have a true worldwide NFL if it would work well, but to me it doesn't make much sense.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »

This is a great idea on paper, but one with some hurdles to overcome.

On the plus side: We actually have a lot of amateur teams, and a good chunk of our Universities have teams, so there'd be a good set of talent pools to draw homegrown players from if this route was taken.

Negatively, other than the startup costs, the biggest issue would be making it popular. There'd be football (soccer), Rugby Union/League (in the South/North respectively) to compete with for crowds/attention, and even indirect NFL competition (fans preferring the real thing to an imitation).

The idea is good, but I just worry for its ability to be a success.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »
I played for my university team. The standard was terrible. A UK league would have to build from scratch and import a lot of players to get going.

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:27:49 PM »
I played for my university team. The standard was terrible. A UK league would have to build from scratch and import a lot of players to get going.

And that's where the league would devalue itself to be "NFL 2" full of past-its and not-quite-good-enoughs... And in the process put itself into a tough position to succeed.

For me NFL-UK would have to be just that, a UK version of the NFL. Sure, we'd have a few quality imports to help things, but the majority should be UK Nationals with a few Europeans thrown in too. So we'll add "improving feeder systems" to requirements for it succeeding.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]