Author Topic: Shilling My Project (Again!)  (Read 854 times)

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 3
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
Shilling My Project (Again!)
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:36:29 PM »
I also posted on MFX, but not everyone goes there :P As some of you know to varying degrees and levels of details, as part of my graduate work I am creating a blog/website to satisfy my thesis requirements. Well I've more or less put it live to the internet. I'm not going to make some sales pitch or anything, but as you guys are my mates I was hoping you could you know, view the site, keep tabs on it, and maybe leave comments if you so feel inclined. I'm going to work on promoting the website to a more targeted audience, but having a baseline viewership to point to so I don't utterly fail this would be nice. Thanks in advance guys.

https://greenandgoldenv.wordpress.com/

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
Re: Shilling My Project (Again!)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
Is there an expectation of us providing Christmas Whisky in exchange for the "riveting" entertainment you'll provide?

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:37:02 PM »
Is there an expectation of us providing Christmas Whisky in exchange for the "riveting" entertainment you'll provide?

You only drink whiskey at Christmas? You're such a girl.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 3
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »
No, no, just your unconditional loyalty support will suffice.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »
No, no, just your unconditional loyalty support will suffice.

Still to much ... I'm out.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 3
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »
Hey guys, I made a new post.

https://greenandgoldenv.wordpress.com/2016/04/01/why-conservation/

Pages views would be greatly appreciated, even if you don't read or comment...that's fine too.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 02:37:56 PM »
As someone (and someone who lives in a province/country) who is dependant on natural resources. I'm going to disagree with you on your post. It's still a very moderate tone but your thesis essentially is pretty heavy handed.

It's one thing to say that the government should protect these lands but you're looking at it essentially from only a single lens; there's no economic or social evaluation which is just as important. You state that "everyone should be able to enjoy the outdoors" but that only creates more questions. It's fact that natural resources have become the cheapest source of power and building material ever and created the ability for you to study environmental science. You commute to school using items mined from government lands somewhere to build the car, the fuel that powers it is pulled out of royalty lands usually, and the money you earned to buy it is largely dependant (regardless of industry) on the exploitation of natural resources on government land.

When mining projects, rail projects, pipeline projects, drilling projects are opposed based on "protecting nature" we're essentially contributing economic suicide as we'll no longer be able to produce or manufacture goods from our own country, and will be forced to import from countries who's social record is abhorrent, or are going to destroy their natural resources/habitats at which point it's a sucks to suck sort of deal and there's social ramifications there. Plus, it takes jobs away from your citizens, which means less money to spend, which means people in service industry suffer and it's a vicious cycle. All the Green Energy talk misses the point that we still need to build the wind turbines, solar panels, geo-piping whatever and that requires a lot of the shit we're pumping out of the ground, and that stuff is expensive relative to natural gas. If we ran on only green energy our power bills will increase tenfold at minimum (cost of new construction, cost of increased stress on transmission/distribution systems, it can't be turned on and off and so is prone to high variable supply and demand peaks) which is going to price a lot of people out of the market.

Essentially my argument is this Bone, and I'd like to hear your thoughts. Are you willing to change your entire life to make it so that the Governments will not approve development projects on state land. Essentially, no internet, no television and very likely no car ...

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »
I think there's a happy medium that can be met, where we continue to progress technology and other aspects of our society, becoming more advanced/efficient in travel/energy/economics/etc., but at the same time do what we can to protect the environment so that our planet doesn't take on too much of a burden from society using natural resources and expelling harmful chemicals in our quest for advancement....

Where that balance is met... I have no idea.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 3
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 11:13:08 PM »
First, I have a response for you Metro, but I haven't been around much. The short of it is that I think you are reading too much into what I wrote, and perhaps you have a certain expectation from anyone who pushes a green initiative. This is an opinion I have that I differ with many of my colleagues. No solution to our environmental issues includes a full stop on everything we do socially, economically, or culturally. At no point will I ever say "welp, guess we all gotta live in the woods now." Maybe some people could do it, I personally can't. I didn't talk about any issue specifically in that post. Instead I was just answering the question of 'why do we conserve' or 'why should we conserve?' To me that boils down to protecting the natural world around us. Does that mean we have to full stop on resource extraction? No. Does that mean we need to change our infrastructure to accommodate a more environmentally friendly system? Probably. The funny thing about things like coal and natural gas is yes they are cheap to extract and make use off, but they still have a cost. Right now we're paying the cost from the industrial revolution in a bunch of ways, thanks to all that CO2 floating around.

Luckily there are some smart people working on some environmental problems. Finding space for farming is an issue. Instead of cutting down more forests, we're inventing new ways of farming. Renewable energy technology continues to get cheaper and more efficient. We're looking at taking all that rogue CO2 and converting it to a source of energy instead. To say that we can't do any of this because it's expensive and or requires fundamental infrastructural change is short-sighted. To answer that question at the end, there are changes I can make in my life to lessen my environmental impact (changes I have already made and are in the process of making) that doesn't require me to give up internet, electricity, cars, or whatever else I need to participate in society. I'd be a real hack of a blogger if I was encouraging people to get OFF the internet right?

------------------------

In other news, I have a new blog post. I am ready and willing for the backlash. Please give me some page views if nothing else, I'd appreciate it. Also feel free to leave comments here and maybe on the site itself. You guys aren't my only readers.

https://greenandgoldenv.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/a-discussion-about-the-discussion/