Author Topic: RULE DISCUSSION #2: WAIVER WIRE  (Read 1430 times)

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
RULE DISCUSSION #2: WAIVER WIRE
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:18:38 AM »
It's not often the use of it would come up, but I'd like to propose a league waiver wire, especially given the addition of the DTR next season, and the uptick in player cuts this year.

So here's how the waiver wire would work.

WAIVER WIRE RULE PROPOSAL
- Waiver wire would be in effect from the end of preseason to the end of the post season. This allows teams to sign players cut from other teams after training camp, if they so wish and get them reps in the preseason.
- The wire order is set in the inverse standings (worst to best), set every week.
- Each week, the wire clears and any player cut during the waiver period becomes a free agent and able to sign with any team.
- When released from a team, a player enters the waiver wire for the week, no matter at what point in the week the release happen.
- A player can not rejoin the team they were cut from unless they clear waivers.
- GMs have until the end of the week (when the games are posted, to give GMs who lock in earlier in the week) to claim a player off the waiver.
- A team will only claim the player if no one ahead of them in the order claimed them. If a team claims multiple players, they must set the priority of the players. The lower the priority a player, the more times they have to clear waivers.

RULE ADMENDMENTS
- when you claim a player off waivers, you assume the contract from the prior team. The claiming team must not exceed the cap when claiming the player.
(EX: Player A is cut from Team A with a 3 year 1.5MM contract. Team B claims Player A off of waivers and takes his 3 year 1.5MM contract. Team B may renegotiate the contract but must not exceed the cap when claiming the player.)

Any additional questions I will try best to answer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:12:30 PM by GM TJ »

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
Re: RULE DISCUSSION #2: WAIVER WIRE
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »
Contracts? What about teams locked in before a player gets cut?

Need to think out the logistics more but its a good thought.  Needs tweaking though.

GM Justin

• Supreme Basketball Alliance sim Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
I like the idea, but Metro has a point.

To remedy the situation I have two ideas:

1)The waiver wire period doesn't begin until the start of the regular season

2)Set a date for which all teams have to be locked in by for training camp which will allow a GM to make the decision to either go ahead and lock in early or give them the option not to lock in just in case they want to take advantage of the waiver wire.

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »
Contracts? What about teams locked in before a player gets cut?

Need to think out the logistics more but its a good thought.  Needs tweaking though.

I answered the second part.

- GMs have until the end of the week (when the games are posted, to give GMs who lock in earlier in the week) to claim a player off the waiver.

I forgot the contracts part.

- when you claim a player off waivers, you assume the contract from the prior team. The claiming team must not exceed the cap when claiming the player.
(EX: Player A is cut from Team A with a 3 year 1.5MM contract. Team B claims Player A off of waivers and takes his 3 year 1.5MM contract. Team B may renegotiate the contract but must not exceed the cap when claiming the player.)

I like the idea, but Metro has a point.

To remedy the situation I have two ideas:

1)The waiver wire period doesn't begin until the start of the regular season

2)Set a date for which all teams have to be locked in by for training camp which will allow a GM to make the decision to either go ahead and lock in early or give them the option not to lock in just in case they want to take advantage of the waiver wire.

1) The start time I suggested is the end of the preseason meaning week 1 of the season is the start of the waiver wire for the season.

2) that's not fair to teams who wish to discuss as much as they want. We proposed a lock in deadline before and it was shot down for that reason.

GM Rebelicious

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
What's the point? This seems like we're just adding more unnecessary headaches.

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 02:45:44 PM »
I was thinking of ways to improve the game and add a bit of strategy. The idea came up.

GM Justin

• Supreme Basketball Alliance sim Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »

1) The start time I suggested is the end of the preseason meaning week 1 of the season is the start of the waiver wire for the season.

I read your first point incorrectly, I retract that point I made.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 3
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
I don't think the waivers work for off-season/pre-season, because of the different speeds some users play at. During the season sounds good.

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »
I've added the contract amendment to my initial proposal. And I agree Bone. That's why I made it from the end of the preseason (Week 1 of the regular season) to the end of the postseason (lock ins for the Impact Bowl)

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
Can't you already pick people up off of free agency once they're cut? Usually at a discount too. Please excuse my ignorance but I don't see the advantage of this.

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 09:07:18 PM »
Can't you already pick people up off of free agency once they're cut? Usually at a discount too. Please excuse my ignorance but I don't see the advantage of this.

Normally, if your a bad team, you lose out on those guys because they'll take a discounted deal to join a playoff team.

For example. Last year, Music City cut William Brewster, whom I signed but Tombstone also sought after. Yes, we had needs there as well when he was cut, but say last year, had the rule been in place and team ahead of us like in the waivers like St. Paul or San Antonio or Alabama could have claimed him, at his contract and improved their QB situation.

Another one, last season Trevor Jose was cut from Tombstone after breaking his leg. He had one year remaining on his deal, which New Jersey signed him the following week at the same deal then gave him a raise on a one year deal. Same deal here, except a team like St. Paul or San Antonio or Bama could have picked him up and had the same deal.

Third example, Caleb Smoak, the first GM year, cut from Tombstone after a cap error by Powers. Franchise smartly picked him up, but had to sign him to a one year deal because Pearl Harbor was a mess. Had the waiver wire rule been there, he would have claimed Caleb Smoak on his original deal (which had more years on it).

Now, the player may or may not want to renegotiate after getting claimed, but at least that player is yours for whatever the new deal is rather than not having a shot at him. It levels the field a bit more as a player isn't going to sign a multi-year deal with a bad team, unless they over pay by alot vs signing a one year deal for cheap for a contender.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »
I won't complain if the rule goes through, but I don't really see the point of it.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
  • GM of the Eastern Conference Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 03:19:36 PM »
I won't complain if the rule goes through, but I don't really see the point of it.

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »
I'm indifferent to whether it goes through or not, but it is interesting. I definitely would have placed a claim on Brewster last year...

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »
Doesn't the draft level the playing field already? I can see the appeal of the rule and I'm not against it but I agree with the others above.

GM TJ II

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 05:30:39 PM »
Doesn't the draft level the playing field already? I can see the appeal of the rule and I'm not against it but I agree with the others above.

The draft does, in a sense, but the waiver is an in-season thing. Like Digger just said, he would have put in a claim for Brewster, which changes his season, changes his future seasons and is an immediate. It's something that would change seasons. It's something that would be able to have a team that's in rebuild mode get a player they wouldn't have been able to get before, even if they were to trade them, they get more pieces they didn't have before. It's something that a contending team could use to get a missing piece.

This isn't DTR level of importance, but it was something that I felt the league would benefit from.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 03:26:57 AM »
I prefer this change to the DTR, so if we were to only make one change, I'd vote for this rule.