Author Topic: WRESTLEMANIA thoughts  (Read 520 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
WRESTLEMANIA thoughts
« on: April 04, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
Lets discuss the show somewhere outside of the shoutbox, for those who haven't seen the damn thing yet.

I was not into this card at all, until the morning of the show, then as I laid the card out to the wife, I realized it was WRESTLEMANIA DAY and I was automatically pumped.

I loved all the matches other than New Day vs. League of Nations, but the post-match Stone Cold/HBK stuff made it all worth it.

I HATED Reigns vs. Triple H, and for anyone who liked it and then later complains of Randy Orton's slow pace, you can't slam Orton's pace anymore.

AJ/Y2J was way better than I thought it would be, and I loved putting Y2J over, it continues the tradition of WWE > Indys and/or WWE > WCW (HHH vs. Sting @ WM)  WWE BURIES THE COMPETITION, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE UNDER CONTRACT!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I didn't see the pre-show, but I was right on all those picks so I assume they were good.

Ladder match was great, Stardust with the Dusty-Dots was great, and the surprise Ryder win was actually satisfying IMO, sure I would have loved Sami or KO to win, and I was really pulling hard for Stardust; but something fresh and unexpected was nice in a match that they made Ryder/Sin Cara/Stardust a joke in the beginning of the build for the match.  ...and that Half-Nelson Suplex on the ladder... Bahhhh gawwwwd

I always hate gimmicky hardcore matches and their 100 variances (No holds barred, street fight, no DQ, anything goes.... Xtreme Rules, Hardcore... etc etc)  and I thought that Brock/Ambrose HAD to be a bloody bloody mess with Lesnar winning but Dean looking like a freaking madman who can never be counted out because of the spots he would take (should have taken a thumbtacks bump, needed to use and be hit with barbie, etc)... but instead we got a fun time of Brock destroying, which was okay with me because I hate those matches, but ocne you sell that match as what it was supposed to be, YOU GOTTA COMMIT!  Where was Dean's stupid Wagon?  Where was the crow bar?  COME ON MAN!!!!! It was a RAW no DQ match, not a PPV hardcore match, and damn sure not a wrestlemania Edge vs. Foley type match, or RKO vs. Foley Backlash PPV match... but hey, Brock wins, so I'm happy. 

STONE COLD!!!! STONE COLD!!!! STONE COLD!!!! STONE COLD!!!!!

BAHHHH GAWDDDD!!!! STUNNER!!!! STUNNNER!!!! STUNNER!!!!

(me):  STUN FOLEY TOO DAMN IT!!!!

Womens Title match was the show stealing epic I hoped it would be... Hats off to all the ladies, and Charlotte, who had to fight to keep her tits in her shirt as much as she had to fight those hotties Becky and (BAE) Sasha.  ...Awesome intros, great stuff all around, like I said... match of the night.

........until Shane and Taker went H.A.M.

Shane said "Dean, I know Mick passed the torch to you.... and I'm gon' let you finish...but me and Taker just had one of the craziest oldman spotfest of ALL TIME!!!!!"  #MicDrop

Taker vs Cena for his retirement next year?  ....Taker/Kane?   Taker/Brock? ...I'd be okay with any of them.

....Rock comes out with a funny fire cannon....

(me): ROCK, Just give some of that charisma to Roman, PLEASE!!!!!!

...Rock talks.

(me, to Jon on skype): I hope the Wyatts come kick his ass.

ENTER WYATTS

(me):  TOLD YAAAAAAAAAA

WYATTS GET JOBBED

(Me): ....well fuck

(Me:) I can't wait to see Trips epic costume...

SEXY STEPHANIE COSTUME.

(me): Oh sweet, Steph's got them "I want a 3rd baby" boots on. ...move bitch, I want to see Trips' epic costu......

......well fuck.

Main event:  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

WHAT I EXPECTED:  C-

WHAT I GOT: B

OVERALL HAPPINESS: HIGH

We knew Reigns was going to win and it was gonna suck, so that doesn't hurt the grade.  Loved Corbin winning the battle royal.  Loved Shaq showing up, Loved Snoop spittin' Sasha's entrance.... Loved that I Love mania, even if it isn't the best ever.

GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
Re: WRESTLEMANIA thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »
I'll break my thoughts down bit-by-bit:

US TITLE
Standard pre-show type match, which was perfectly fine as a lot of the crowd didn't seem to be in the arena yet.

DIVA TAG
Messy, but largely because it was 5-on-5 and all tags this big end up a little messy. Lana did well for her first outing, and LOL at Summer Rae getting pop of the match for taking out Eva Marie. For me, the right team won (gives them material for TD)

DUDLEYS VS USOS
Decent enough match that did what it had to do.

IC LADDER MATCH
The PERFECT opener to the main show. It was chaotic, it had a bunch of cool spots (Ziggler's superkick party, the ladder-break bump, pretty much anything Sami & Owens did with a ladder, the multiple near-victories) and then it had Ryder win... Which felt a little strange given the bigger names in the match. Not sure if it'll be transitional and just a "feel good" moment, or if it means Ryder's getting an actual push... We'll see tonight.

STYLES VS JERICHO
Another "did what it had to do" match. The ending initially jarred me as knocking Styles back, but then it was pointed out to me that this makes it 2-2 in their series, allowing a big blowoff at Extreme Rules with some sort of stipulation (so not necessarily "WWE is the best!", but rather a logical way to extend the feud).

I look forward to that, and have a whole theory on how Bullet Club aren't coming in for Finn as expected, but AJ (and that he'll get their assistance at ER).

NEW DAY VS LON
New Day's entrance was great.

A nice match that went to the signature spots early. The Big E Spear spot looked like the ending botched, with E landing badly (cameras didn't show him for a while after the move) so I hope all is ok there.

Can't fault the finish as it lead to both a Wrestlemania Legends moment AND gives LON a shout at another Tag Title opportunity.

LESNAR VS AMBROSE
During the match I loved it, but when the finish hit I was underwhelmed. At the time I described it as being a trashcan shot, a table bump and an OMG moment (Tacks, the barbed-wire bat actually connecting, fire) away from being perfect... A decision I stand by. WWE dropped the ball, especially with Dean's past meaning he'd probably have happily taken all of the above willingly.

WWE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP
I'll use this spot to also address the title change:
FINALLY WE HAVE A FEMALE TITLE THAT IS EQUALLY BILLED AS THE MALE EQUIVALENT. Now, with the three women in the match, Paige, Natalya, Emma and the upcoming NXT pairing of Bayley & Asuka there's something to be excited about here.
However, it'll all be for naught if they don't give them the time & effort every week to build credible storylines and contests at the same level they do for the Men's divisions.

As for the match: Exactly what I expected. Top-quality wrestling, and some spots that I'm sure will have shut up any naysayers about the credibility of women in wrestling.

SHANE VS TAKER
Match Of The Night by MILES. Shane not only went coast-to-coast, but jumped off the cell and took some almighty bumps on the steps. Plus, we finally saw a real-life version of the crash through the cell wall in the WWE Games.

ANDRE THE GIANT BATTLE ROYAL
SHAQ! Probably the least-expected surprise entrant.

More importantly BARON CORBIN WON! I'm in the minority that likes the guy, but hope he stays in NXT until they have an actual vacancy on the main roster for him.

ROCK-WYATTS-CENA
At first, I was fine to tune out while The Rock cut his pointless live-crowd-hype promo to announce the record attendance (Gripe: "Finally The Rock has come back to Wrestlemania" - Considering it's once a year, and you were there last year, not really that impressive).

Then Bray Wyatt came out, and I got excited. He cut a great promo, and it seemed like he was going to beat the crap out of Rocky.

Then Rock seemed like he'd put them over... Only to SWERVE and cut one of his unfunny promos (Gripe with fans: The Rock's jokes are pretty much the same as Cena's... They cheer one, boo the other)

Then they had a pointless match just to set another record. I wasn't going to complain because...

Then it looked like Wyatt's would actually beat down Rocky to have their Wrestlemania Moment...

Only for Cena to come out and ruin it, with a 2-on-3 beatdown the result.

Had Wyatt's got some offense in to look strong I'd probably be less pissed off. But they got NOTHING from this segment. So fuck WWE.

WWE WHC
Given the segment before, I'm actually not that angry at the ending. In fact, I quite LIKE the match they did. Again, I'm a minority that likes slow methodical pace where appropriate. With a few tweaks, I think this could actually have worked in getting the fans behind Roman a little more.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Overall, a decent show.

It had some BIG flaws (Street Fight missing a spot to be remembered by, The entire Rock/Wyatts bit) but it also had some BIG positives (WWE Women's Title!, HIAC, Ladder Match). Can WWE keep it going an capitalise on the momentum though?
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]