Author Topic: NHL Playoffs  (Read 1235 times)

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
NHL Playoffs
« on: April 24, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »
How you guys liking the playoffs so far?

A few of my thoughts:

Being a Ducks fan, I'll comment on the Ducks/Preds series. Ducks looked awful in Games 1/2 at home, despite only losing a by a goal in each game. Errant passes, terrible puck control, and a lack of composure. We turned it around in Games 3/4 in Nashville and despite being outplayed in Game 5 for the most part, escaped with another win to take the series lead. I'd be shocked at this point if we didn't win this series, be it in 6 or 7 games. We are the better team and we'll be tough to beat if Freddy can continue playing as good as he has been. I'm sure Gibby is itching to get another chance too as it wasn't his fault we lost Games 1 and 2.

Hawks/Blues series has been crazy fun to watch. If you like bad defense and exciting offense, this is the series for you. While both teams do have good defense, it has been outshined by the explosiveness of the offense. I really hope the Blues can pull it off in Game 7 at home, because I despise the Blackhawks with a passion.

Stars/Wild series I haven't seen much of other then a few highlights on Sportscenter. It'd be crazy is the Wild can force a Game 7 as nobody gave that team a chance.

Sharks beating the Kings in 5 games was a bit of a shock to me. Kings are built for the playoffs, while the Sharks (like the Blues) are perennial playoff underachievers. Sharks have a good team though and are going to be a tough match-up for the Ducks/Preds.

In the East, the series I've seen more then any has been the Islanders/Panthers series and it has not disappointed. Game 5 was crazy, including a stopped penalty shot in OT by the Iles and a power play winner in 2OT. It's been a really close series with Game 6 tonight in New York. If Florida can manage to win the last two games, it'll set-up an all-Florida semifinal with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Which would be pretty exciting for the growth of the sport in the south.

Caps/Flyers has been pretty one sided, but somehow the Flyers haven't gone away yet. They have an exciting opportunity to force a Game 7 after being down 3-0 in the series. Caps are another team that can't seem to find playoff success despite having quality teams every season. Can the Flyers continue that trend?

Lightning put away the Wings rather easily and the only two things that sticks out to me in the series is that we were reminded just how talented Tampa Bay (who made the Stanley Cup Finals last season) are. And it was possibly the last time you'll see the great Pavel Datsyuk skate in the NHL.

The last series was Pittsburgh absolutely destroying the Rangers. The Penguins might be the hottest team in the playoffs right now and they made easy work against the Rangers.             

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
The Rangers getting spanked makes me happy. The Devils being nowhere near the playoffs makes me sad.

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 11:34:12 PM »
I thought for a moment that the Flyers were going to storm back and beat the Capitals in 7 games. Would have been so like the Capitals to choke in the playoffs. Should be an interesting Penguins/Capitals series, though the Pens seem to be the hottest and seem to have Washington's number.

Every year we seem to get Chicago/St. Louis in the playoffs and every year it seems better then the year before. Some great games there to watch if, like Jon said, you want to see some offense. Anaheim/Nashville seems like a series that was going in the Preds direction until the Ducks decided to show up and now their in the drivers seat.

Stars/Wild is the one that gets lost lol

I was pulling for the Panthers just cause it would have been cool for Jagr to get a cup (which would have likely signaled his retirement) but the Islanders came to play in that series. Tampa Bay/Islanders should make for an interesting series as well. Some decent round 2 match ups in the East.

Speaking of Tampa, had you told me they would have put away Detroit so easily at the start of the playoffs I wouldn't have believed you. They have the talent (after all they went to the Cup last season) but this years team just seemed different. And then without Stamkos, I figured there would be a series made of it but unfortunately, Detroit didn't really want to win it.

Sharks winning kind of shocked me - after all, the pattern would say that this was LA's year. I just hope that the Sharks don't do what the Sharks do and fail to make it any farther. I'd like to think they will get into the conference finals, but it might depend how the 2nd round out west shapes up.

All in all I think there are some good series so far and some good ones to see still!

GM Justin

• Supreme Basketball Alliance sim Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:27:15 AM »
Hockey still comes on television?

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 12:34:48 AM »
When you're in Canada, it's on non stop!

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 05:09:33 PM »
Hockey still comes on television?

smh

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:26:07 PM »
The Rangers getting spanked makes me happy. The Devils being nowhere near the playoffs makes me sad.

This, so much this. It was all going so well, and then the wheels fell off and we tanked down the division.

It's for that reason I'm yet to watch any playoff hockey this year. Since getting into watching regularly a couple of years back I've been forced to pick random series/games and watch them as New Jersey haven't been a part of it. With us not making the playoffs again this year I've lacked the motivation thus-far, but think I might drop in to a few games from Round 2. Definitely intend to watch the entire Cup Series though, because I like to watch Championship games.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »
This, so much this. It was all going so well, and then the wheels fell off and we tanked down the division.

It's for that reason I'm yet to watch any playoff hockey this year. Since getting into watching regularly a couple of years back I've been forced to pick random series/games and watch them as New Jersey haven't been a part of it. With us not making the playoffs again this year I've lacked the motivation thus-far, but think I might drop in to a few games from Round 2. Definitely intend to watch the entire Cup Series though, because I like to watch Championship games.

The Penguins/Capitals series is probably (should be anyways) the best of the bunch.

GM Corbin

• Master of the BEECAGE
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 636
  • CONTROVERSIAL DECISION MAKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
The Penguins/Capitals series is probably (should be anyways) the best of the bunch.

Totally agree, and it's the one that's been tempting me towards watching.

From a neutral standpoint it's got the right mix of big name players and result uncertainty... It could be high-scoring madness, or it could be a tense 1-0 in Overtime.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 11:27:21 PM »
Second round is under way and a lot of good matchups ahead. A lot of teams that usually get knocked out round 1 are still alive which is refreshing.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 08:51:22 AM »
If the lightning and Penguins get knocked out this round.

We'll have some really new blood in the Cup Finals this year.

GM Strike Guy

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 69
  • Milwaukee Barons GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 02:34:17 AM »
If the lightning and Penguins get knocked out this round.

We'll have some really new blood in the Cup Finals this year.

Thinking it'll be Pens vs. Blues.

...waiting on that Sharks playoff collapse, basically. <_<

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
Thinking it'll be Pens vs. Blues.

...waiting on that Sharks playoff collapse, basically. <_<

I think this is the year we don't see a collapse.