Author Topic: TEAM: CLEVELAND MUSTANGS  (Read 27245 times)

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: CLEVELAND MUSTANGS
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:58 AM »
I realise you're very busy at this time of year so if you'll let me know who the agent is, I'll call them myself.

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 10:23:27 AM »

Yo my man, 3 years and $1MM gets it done.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »
That's a little more than I wanted to spend but not too far off so I'll agree to it. Good doing business with you.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2016, 02:37:45 AM »
Miss Profits, could you get me in touch with Patrick Merriman's agent please?
---------

I'm offering a 1 year contract at $500k

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »

You got it my man.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2016, 01:57:36 PM »
Fantastic, I'll get the paperwork to the league.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »

Sounds good man.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2016, 09:02:37 PM »
Miss Profits, could you get hold of the agent for Stanley Sherman please?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »

1 year and 250K my man.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2016, 05:55:27 AM »
That's what I had in mind myself. Pleasure doing business with you.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
Miss Profits, could I have an update on our budget and roster position please? I seem to have lost the file with that information on it when I sent my laptop for repairs. Also, could you get the coaches on a conference call for me?
--------

I think we're in a good position at this stage. We filled the main gaps I wanted to during the draft and I'm pretty happy with how that went. Right now, I'd be content to go with the starters we have but there do seem to be some interesting names out there. The offence is pretty set, I think. I'm not sure whether to bring in an experienced WR or to give a young guy a chance in that final slot. Coach Roy, I'd be interested to hear what you think on that. Defensively, we did well last year but I think there are a few things we could improve on. The Cotter should make a big difference and I'd like to see what Kim and Singh can do. Coach Blitzer, how would you asses the defense last season and where do you think we can strengthen?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2016, 12:11:24 AM »

We need 1 WR, 1 Center, 1 Free Safety, and we have 1 open/option roster spot.  We have 12MM in salary and 9.75MM in PR, sir.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2016, 12:13:31 AM »

I think our starters are currently set, we are hoping to see improvement and development across the board, but we are in a position where we are simply looking for depth at this point.  I would like to see an extra corner to give us four total, but outside of that we just need a free safety.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2016, 05:58:19 AM »
That's all very encouraging, thank you Coach. I will see what I can get us in FA.
------

Miss Profits, those figures don't sound right to me. Have you included Dale Hooker's contract in there? I don't have us needing a C after drafting Sherman. Also, could you confirm that we're no longer having to pay the contracts for Orazco and co? I thought those were still liabilities until the end of season 9.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2016, 02:33:10 PM »

Silly me, I over looked our league office submission of Mr. Hooker's contract.

We have 5.5MM remaining in salary, do not require a center, and we do have that much PR remaining, the former coaches salaries are off of our books.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2016, 02:53:05 PM »

Upon further revision, Major Jackson was still on our roster I had sir, so we now have 2 open/optional roster spots, 1 FS needed, 1 WR needed and 7.25MM in Salary with 9.75MM in PR due to Benny Campbell's contract buyout still being on our books.

My apologies.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2016, 02:57:10 PM »
Thank you for the updates.  I'll makes sure not to lose my copy of the file this time.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
Could I speak to Coaches Blitzer and Hall please?
-------

Coaches, as I'm sure you've already seen I've signed two guys at FS. Initially it looks like a mistake but with the current price of CBs I've decided to confirm both deals instead of paying over the odds for a CB. I think the experience they bring to our defense will be huge for us and will help the younger guys develop. I'd like you both to keep an on them in preseason with a view to one of them perhaps covering at or converting to CB during the season if needed though.

At this point I think we're ready for the season. There is still space for another signing if you think we need to strengthen in another area of defense but I'm reluctant to do that unless someone particularly attractive is available. What do you both think?

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2016, 11:51:24 AM »
Also, while I have you both, I'm going over the depth chart at the moment and wanted some advice on captains. Offensively we're going to keep the current guys in place but we lost our defensive captain to retirement. Burton will take over that role but the other 2 places are up in the air. I'm not sure if Kim or Head will start so I don't want to name Head a captain if he's not playing. Embiid is a good option, I think, but I'm thinking of going more out of the box. It'll sound like madness but I think a good way to get The Cotter to think about more than just himself might be to give him more responsibility. Thoughts?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »

London is younger, and might be a decent option to play some corner if we need it, but I wouldn't convert him officially, just have him listed as our 4th corner.

As for captains, you'd get yourself fired making a selfish guy like Cotter a captain. 

Singh, Knapp, Franks, and London are our most vocal and powerful leaders, if you're going for leadership skills over other qualifications.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
The theory with Cotter is that by making him responsible for the players around him he'd have to think about then and it might make him a better team player. I've seen it work in other sports. There's always the risk that it will destroy team morale, though. This is why I run these wilder ideas past you. I agree, it would be too big a risk though.
Knapp is a good choice but I'm not convinced by the others. They're either second year guys with no real experience or they're not likely to start. I'll give it some more thought. Thank you for your input.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2016, 06:40:52 PM »
My apologies for my late appearance here. I have had some personal issues to deal with but I'm hoping I'm on top of those now. I trust Coach Blitzer has been able to keep things ticking over, though I know he must be pretty pissed off at this point. Here is the information for what is left of preseason, for what it's worth:

Offence

Captains
Smoak
McReynolds
Hooker
QB - Smoak – Elston - Jordan
RB - Usher – Chandler - Torres
FB - Sanchez - Torres
WR1 - McReynolds – Saunders – Farrow – Adams - Roman
WR2 - Saunders – Farrow – Adams - Roman
WR3 - Farrow – Adams - Roman
WR4 - Adams - Roman
TE - Bartholomew - Merriman
RT - Byrd - Sherman
LT - Hardaway – Byrd - Sherman
RG - Esparza - Sherman
LG - Beal - Esparza
C - Hooker – Sherman

Training camp:
Byrd – Run blocking
Roman – Hands
Jordan – Arm strength

Defense

Captains – McAllister – Knapp - Embiid
LDE – Embiid – Bonilla - McLaughlin
RDE – Bonilla - McLaughlin
LDT – Christian – Cato – McLaughlin
RDT – Cato - McLaughlin
LOLB – Cotter – Knapp - Pipkin
MLB – Singh – Pipkin
ROLB – Knapp – Cotter - Pipkin
CB1 – McAllister – Cooney – Coble - London
CB2 – Cooney – Coble - London
CB3 – Coble - London
FS – Taylor – London - Franks
SS – Kim – Head

Training camp:
Cooney – tackling
Singh – speed
Pipkin – tackling

PR

Caleb Smoak – 3.5m
Smaokin’ the Opposition
$1m setting up Caleb’s Smoak House as the stadium’s premium restaurant.
$1m on tv ads introducing Smoak to the Cleveland fans by focusing on some of his most impressive passes as a Predator.
$1m on a national billboard campaign showing Smoak standing with his arms out at his sides and smoke rising from his hands.
$0.5m on local TV appearances where Smoak will demonstrate his skills and give some pointers on how to throw the perfect spiral.
Patrick Usher – 1m
Out of the Shadows
$0.75m continuation of the previous campaign but now highlighting how he’d gone from backup in New Jersey to one of the top rushers in the league in Pearl Harbor.
$0.25m billboard campaign highlighting Patrick’s rise and showing how he was a match for the top RBs in the league.

Eugene McReynolds – 1m
The Veteran
$0.5m on TV ads highlighting Eugene’s experience in the league and the leadership he’d shown on the field/in training last year.
$0.5m on visits to local high schools and colleges where Eugene will pass on what he’s learned about leadership and the importance of experience.

George Farrow – 1m
Introducing…
$0.5m on tv spots introducing Geroge Farrow to the team, showing his highlight reel catches from previous seasons and clips of his efforts in practice so far (the best bits obviously)
$0.5m on billboards showing George stepping into shoes with Wenzel’s name on them.

Bismack Embiid – 3.75m
Legend
$2m on a series of events during some home games and out in the city recognising Embiid’s heritage and introducing the foods and music of his home country to the people in Cleveland.
$1m on tv ads comparing the legendary status of the Ford Mustang with that of Embiid, highlighting some of his biggest hits and sacks, and showing them to be a perfect match for each other. Stunt drivers will be needed for that.
$0.75m billboard campaign showing Embiid in his crouched stance as if on the line facing off against a Ford Mustang with smoke coming from its rear tires.

Christopher Knapp – 0.5m
Knapp Time
$0.5m on a continuation of the Knapp Time campaign of the previous season. In a random quarter from each home game a member of the crowd will win the Mustang behind the end zone if Knapp makes a sack.

Stephen Cotter – 2m
I Am The Cotter
$1m on autobiography covering Cotter’s upbringing, route into football, the controversies from his point of view. All ghost written by the ESPN journalist who wrote Smoak’s autobiography last year.
$0.5m billboard campaign showing Cotter sat in an arm chair reading a copy of his own book.
$0.5m on late night chat shows to promote the book.

Ben Pipkin – 1m
Hittin’ Pipkin
$0.5m on branded pads and equipment through official parnters
$0.5 on Youtube campaign where Pipkin does demos for proper hitting.

Frank Cooney – 1.5m
FC# (# representing his squad number)
$1m on social media and TV campaign to build the FC# brand
$0.5m on FC# branded clothing in partnership with A&F.

Burton McAllister – 1m
Captain McAllister
$0.75m on TV advert showing a ship out on Lake Erie in some trouble with the crew starting to panic. Out comes Burton in a captain’s uniform. He takes the helm and looks heroic as he steers the ship to port.
$0.25m billboard campaign showing a still from the ad with Burton at the helm and ‘Captain McAllister’ written across.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »

Hello GM Dazz, welcome back to the office, I hope you find yourself pleased with our team report after training camp. I believe that you and my father will do wonderful things here in Cleveland.  Good luck.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
Very pleased with the team report, thank you. Should be an exciting year and I can't wait to get going. With that in mind, could you get Coach Blitzer for me please?
------

Coach, welcome to Cleveland. With all of the changes this year it's good to see a group of players who look very similar to the group we had last year and even better to see the same coaching team. That continuity is going to be a huge advantage for us after moving across the country. We can already see that from the way the lads have improved during camp. I hope to see the same development this year again, which is going to mean a huge amount of work from all of us. I know we're up to it.

So, The Cotter. You've had a preseason camp with him now... how is he fitting in? I do share your concerns about the live TV but that's why I'm sending him to the late night shows and not daytime TV.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »

The Cotter is definitely... unique.

We'll hopefully be fine with him and his loud mouth blabbering on about how great he is.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »
Unique is one word for him. I don't mind him telling everyone how great he is as long as he lives up to it. In this team and our system I think he could. I expect to see him and Taylor fighting it out for DPOTY this year. Hopefully not literally.

With most of the team we know what we're getting and I'm excited to see the improvements. We have lost some leadership and experience in the post season but that's left spaces for some of the young guys to take their chances. Which ones do you think will step up to that? Are we right to try Kim and Singh starting this year? Have any of the draft class this year caught your eye?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2016, 11:35:54 PM »

The rookies look like they could maybe become quality depth, but right now thats all it is.  As for Kim and Singh, time will tell.  Pipkin and Head are solid players, but the former two deserve the playing time as well.  If they don't produce, we can revert back to the old starters.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2016, 08:27:28 AM »
That's basically what I drafted those players to be so I'm relatively happy to hear that. I'm hoping that with a coupe of years of coaching here they'll develop into starters. Strength in depth is what we're looking for here. I want the starters to be looking over their shoulders at the guys coming through and knowing they have to keep pushing hard. We still have a few gaps we need to fill on that side but overall I think we're setting this team up well for the future. We need to build on the success we had last year. It's going to be tough but I want us to be the best in the East. Won't happen right away but we're starting from a position of strength.

Last year we were lethal when it came to forcing turnovers but we weren't getting the penetration on the line that I'd hoped for. I brought in Cotter to help with that and I think Singh's power should cause chaos in the backfield. Is there anything we can do with the system to assist them?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2016, 04:25:06 PM »

Nothing system-wise that we can do. The system is designed to record sacks, if they can get there, they will.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2016, 09:19:33 AM »
Alright, we'll leave things as they are then. I'll let you get back to coaching while I speak to Coach Roy about the offence but we'll discuss the pre-season games before I send the sheets in. Could you send him up for me when you see him please?
-----

Coach Roy, welcome back. I hope you enjoyed your break. Training camp seemed to be a big success. I'm excited about this offence this year, although we've basically had to rebuild the WR corps again. Losing Wenzel was a blow, though not unexpected. I was very disappointed to lose his obvious replacement in Lackey too though. I have Saunders pencilled in to take his place but how does he compare to Farrow and Adams?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »

Saunders is the big play threat, but he also has the vulnerability to be shut down at times... Farrow is the most balanced and well rounded but doesn't have any one amazing trait, and Adams is sure handed but the slowest of the bunch.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
A big play threat is what I want out there to help draw defenders away from Eugene and Patrick. Hopefully they'll help free him up to make those plays too. If he's getting shut down too often we'll have to rethink things and perhaps put someone reliable at number 2 and use him at 3 like last year but I want to give him his chance.

At RB we're obviously going with Usher again. He was brilliant for us last year and I'm hoping to see more of the same. We seemed to struggle getting him over the line at times though. What are your thoughts on using Torres in some short yardage plays to batter his way through the line? I'd also like your opinion on him as a potential backup FB but I realise that might be difficult with only the training camp to go on.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2016, 12:04:09 AM »

I think Torres could be great in both of those roles... Good call.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2016, 05:54:23 PM »
Let me know if there's anything you need me to specify in the sheets to do that. Otherwise I'll let you get back to training. Could you send Coach Blitzer back up for me when you get back?
-----

Coach, it looks like we have some good competition in these pre-season games so we should get a decent idea of where we stand. Still, I'd like to give the fringe and young players some good time on the field. I'm tempted to split the games and have our starters go in the first and then go more mixed in the second. What do you think?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2016, 10:02:14 PM »

Sounds Fair to me... just make sure to specify any position battles you want to see, or position/depth changes you want to make that you spoke to other coaches about when you lock in so we don't forget.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
Well I don't see much need to change things from training camp, apart from the adjustments to how we use Torres.

Preseaon Game 1
Player Rotation: Mostly Starters
- Tempo: Normal
- Depth chart or strategy changes: Torres to be used at RB in one of the goalline/short yardage formations (Coach's choice).
KR: Kevin Chandler
KR: Daniel Roman
KR backups: Coach's decisions

PR: Kevin Chandler
PR backups: Coach's decision

- 50:50 run:pass

Preseason Game 2 :
Player Rotation: Balanced
- Tempo: Normal
- Depth chart or strategy changes: As above
- 60:40 run:pass

lock in

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2016, 11:21:54 PM »
S8 PRE-SEASON RESULTS

1. What did you think of your teams off-season?
2. What do you think of your season goals set by your owner?
3. How did you feel about the pre-season?
4. Who is the one player you believe needs to "step up" to help this team perform at its best?
5. What makes you think this team will be better than it was last year?

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
Welcome everyone. I'm sorry I've kept you all waiting. So here we sit in a new city, with a new name, at the start of a new season. Fortunately we have the same coaching staff and the same spine in this roster that we had last year. You cannot underestimate the importance of those factors when there is so much change all around. We've kept our key performers from last year and have added some star quality alongside some hungry young talent. When I look at how this past post season went I have to be happy with what we did.

As for the goal our owner has set for the team... there's not really much to say about it. We were the best team in the Western Conference last year so it's only natural for people to look for us to push for the playoffs this year too. We all want to improve on what we achieved last year so our goals align with Mr Profits' very well. it's going to be difficult in a division with the 16-0 Dragons and last season's Impact Bowl champions but our division last season was probably the most competitive in the league. We will continue to work hard and hope to surprise a few people this year, just like we did last year.

Pre-season... you can't really read too much into it. It's a chance for players to get back into their rhythm, for them to get back to match fitness and for them to get used to the new faces in the locker-room. Beyond that, it doesn't really mean a lot. I was pleased to see the performances the team managed... a couple of wins is always good for morale and it helps to have momentum going into the season. The main plus point is to see all of the lads make it through without injury.

I'm not the type to call out individual players in public. Anyone who needs a kick up the arse will get one but you lot don't need to hear about it. What i will say is that the loss of some experienced guys like John and Marvin has given an opportunity for some of the reserves from last year to step up and show what they can do. This team works because everyone pushes themselves to the limit and works to help each other be the best they can be. Anybody who steps into that needs to buy into it as well.

What's going to make this team better than last year is down to 3 things really: the coaches; the balance of this roster and time. When I came in last year we made a lot of changes and things don't just gel overnight. We managed to keep getting results all year but you could definitely see progress as we went. If we start this season the way we ended last season then you are all going to see something pretty special here in Cleveland.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »

Well said, well said... It's good to be here and ready to play real football again.  I'm ready when you are, so anything you need to discuss is the only thing I need to discuss.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2016, 01:00:28 PM »
I think the only thing that needs discussing at this point is the Torres experiment. Only using him in one formation probably didn't give him enough time to do much. From what you did see, is it worth continuing with it as it's currently set up?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2016, 04:46:30 PM »

I think it is worth keeping him there for now, I can give you a more thorough report of his opportunities and how he does as we get a few games into our season, and if he completely fails, we can swap him out right away.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
That's good. I'm confident that his power will make a big difference when it comes to converting on 3rd down and in the red zone. We'll just have to keep an eye on him. Unless you have anything specific you want to discuss I think we can get going as we were in the first pre-season game. I do want Coach Roy watching the o-line carefully for the first few weeks though. With the changes we've had to make I want to see how they're gelling.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2016, 07:08:26 PM »

I'll make sure he keeps an eye on the linemen, no worries.  I think we're licking our chops to get out there and take it to Michigan.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2016, 08:08:34 PM »
S8 WEEK 1 RESULTS

The Media waits for your thoughts on the game, what went right, what went wrong, and what you expect next week.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »
Well that's a very good way to start a new season. Not only a win but to shut the opposition out too... a division rival no less. It's not as exciting as the fans in Pearl Harbor were used to but I much prefer a victory like that. We controlled the game from start to finish on both sides of the ball. It's very encouraging to see, although we're not going to take anything for granted going forwards. It just goes to show the advantages of continuity, preparation and the hard work we put in over the off-season.

You ask what went well in the first week and it's difficult to pinpoint just one thing. However, when you keep the opposition from scoring then the defence clearly deserves as much praise as it can get. Turnover Taylor will get much of the press, and rightly so. He's started in week 1 the way he finished last year and we're hopeful that will continue throughout the season. We have more playmakers in the defensive side of the roster though than just him though. Embiid showed why he's spoken of so highly by those who know their stuff and The Cotter has made his mark with a defensive player of the game award in his first start for this franchise. Coach Blitzer and his team have put together a system here that gets the best out of the weapons we have and a shutout like that is the reward they deserve for it.

What went wrong is a much more difficult question. I would like to have seen us score more points, considering how dominant we were. We need to be more ruthless and more efficient going forwards, but that's mostly down to how much control we had this week. After taking such a commanding lead early in the game we controlled the ball for the rest of it and were as dominant as I've seen us.

This next week is going to be a very different challenge. Last year we shut out the Stampede, but that was a team in crisis with Coaches in full mutiny against the leadership. A lot has changed since then and it will be interesting to see how GM Cory gets this team playing. We're confident in our ability and know that, at our best, we can beat anyone. We'll play our game our way and force them to have to try something different to stop us. It'll be a good game.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »

Bloody Right, good win but we could have scored more. 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »
I have to be honest, I don't understand it. Passing yards and rushing yards were impressive, 3rd down conversion was good, time of possession was good, we didn't turn the ball over too much and we didn't give up too many sacks. So, why didn't we score more?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2016, 08:45:05 PM »

We had to do some short-distance punting because Baldwin isn't a great distance kicker.  He is accurate, but he isn't a guy who is made to drill it from 50+ very often, so we played field position instead.  Had to.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2017, 06:39:20 AM »
With the yardage we were gaining we should have been in the end zone more, not just field goal range. I don't see a need to change too much just yet, though we may need to shake things up in special teams. We need to start with better field position. Who is likely to be our best punt and kick return option?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50020
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »

We have our best players in their roles.