Author Topic: TEAM: CLEVELAND MUSTANGS  (Read 20198 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: CLEVELAND MUSTANGS
« Reply #550 on: November 27, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »

Back in first place where we belong, but we won't rest easy.. We need to punch Michigan right in the mouth.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 27, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
Winning this week guarantees us a spot in the playoffs so that's all that matters. Which is obviously bullshit. I want make a statement this week. That loss early in the season has been bugging me all year. I have some drastic ideas you're probably going to have to drag me back from though. The first is on the defensive side. We had trouble getting to Hill despite Michigan's weak line so I'm tempted to sit back in coverage this week. I'm not too worried about their run so I'm even tempted to use a Nickel base. It might be something worth trying against Rapid or Kansas City if we reach the Impact Bowl too. It's a big departure from what we do though.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 27, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »

it is probably better to test out that strategy now than roll the dice on a completely new look in the Impact Bowl if it comes to it, you know?

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 30, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »
I completely agree but we need to make sure we get there first. How unsettling do you think this will be this week, or is it something the lads could adapt to?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 30, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »

I pride myself on coaching some mental toughness into my boys, so I think they'll handle it just fine.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: December 01, 2017, 02:38:57 AM »
Great. We'll give that a go then. I'll leave the ratio changes up to you as I know you like to be specific for each situation. I'll discuss personnel with Coach Hall shortly. I've given you a lot of work to do so I'll let you get to it. Could you send Coach Roy up to see me please? Thank you Coach.
--------

Coach, that was a great performance from the lads out there this week. If we can have the same success passing this week we'll have no trouble scoring against the Michigan secondary. The problem I have is how easily they tore through our line last time. I'd like to think it's a one off but it's happened 4 or 5 times this year. How would you feel about playing out of the shotgun this week? Could it be done?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 01, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »

We can play out of the shotgun, it does slightly effect our run game losing the fullback as a lead blocker, but all in all its not a problem.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 01, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
Is it something we could introduce on a more situational basis then? Say the 2nd half if we're behind and the more obvious passing downs, e.g. 3rd and long.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 01, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »

we can do down and distance but the only "time" we can effect is within the last two minutes of either half.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 02, 2017, 04:51:34 AM »
Right, so if we use the shotgun in the situations where we pass more than 50% and in the last 2 minutes of the game if we're behind; does that work for you?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2017, 08:23:47 PM »

Yes sir, that makes perfect sense to me.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 04, 2017, 03:34:04 AM »
Excellent, we'll do that then this week and see if it helps counter their pass rush. Thank you Coach.
-------

Miss Profits, could I see Coach Hall please?
-------

Coach, I'm sure you have been filled in by Coach Blitzer by now. I wanted to discuss personnel with you. I know how we usually play out of the nickel but if we're going to be using it as a base formation then I want to make sure we have the right lads in the right places. Are Knapp and Cotter the best suited for the LB slots or would we benefit from using Singh? Is Coble best suited to the nickleback slot or would using London there be better?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 04, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »

I think Knapp, Cotter, and Coble are the guys we need in those slots..

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 05, 2017, 03:46:45 AM »
That's good. I know we're making sweeping changes but I want to make sure we minimise the disruption where possible. Thank you Coach. Could you send the defensive captains up to see me please?
-------

Lads, I won't keep you long. I'm sure you've all noticed the changes we're making this week for Michigan. I know Coach Blitzer must be working you hard to prepare for it too. I just wanted to explain why we're doing it so you can pass it on to the rest of the lads. This isn't a lack of faith in anybody, it's a game plan we're looking to use to counter the passing threat of Michigan... and possibly Rapid City or Kansas City. All 3 QBs are slippery bastards so I think this is the best way to contain them. We need to win this week to make the playoffs but that's just the start for us. I intend for everyone to be wearing a ring at the end of this season. I know there's a lot to get used to but I need everyone to stay focused because this is the way we may set up in the Impact Bowl. We still have to get there first though.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 05, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »
THE CAPTAINS ARE RECEPTIVE AND UNDERSTAND. THEY SEEM MOTIVATED.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 06, 2017, 03:19:24 AM »
Excellent, I'll let you get back to it then.

Burton, could you take this to Coach Blitzer please?

Mostly Starters
Tempo: Normal
Run:Pass ratio: 65:35 base. all other ratios are coach's decisions.
Strategy changes: Switch to Nickel base and reduce blitzing ratios as discussed with Coach Blitzer.
Play out of the shotgun when passing is set above 50% and in the last 2 minutes if behind, as discussed with Coach Roy.
Lock in

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 06, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
1. Talk about this weeks result and your upcoming game, as well as anything else you'd like to speak on to the media.

The important thing about this week is that we have clinched a place in the playoffs. We were perhaps fortunate to do so after our loss but we'll take it. We still have a shot at topping the division and taking some momentum into those playoffs so we'll be working hard to make sure we end the season on a high. As for this past week, we tried out a few things with a view to the future and that was probably a mistake. Still, we controlled the game for 3 quarters so there are a lot of positives to take from that. The defence were excellent again but we made some uncharacteristic mistakes on offence. That's a lesson learned for me though. I'll hold my hands up and take full responsibility for the loss. It keeps things exciting though, doesn't it?

---------

Coach, that was on me. Should have left the offence alone and trusted our line to do their job. I thought the defence worked well though. What happened in that final quarter?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »

In the 4th, they put together a solid drive and chipped their way down the field and got the touchdown with the 2pt conversion, when they kicked it back off we had a bad return that only got us to our own 11, and we came out slinging, getting 9 of the 10 yards we needed on a pass to McReynolds, but we couldn't muster the last yard to keep the drive going.  We had a pretty poor punt after that giving them the ball just 39 yards away from the endzone, but we stopped them and ended the drive with Cooney breaking up a pass to force them to punt it back.

We took the ball back at our own 20, and on first down had a nice little 4 yarder to McReynolds and followed it up by a sweet 25 yard pass to Farrow down the sideline, but on the next play we faked the run to Zeke and threw for Howerton over the middle on a 4 yard pass but Chong picked it off and gave them the ball back.

They came out gunning, hitting a 31 yarder to Perez right away jumping on the sudden change of momentum.  That got them down to the 16 yard line.  They ran it for 6 after that, then Knapp nearly picked off a pass, but on 3rd and 4 they got the 10 yard touchdown.

When we got the ball back there were only 3 minutes to play a and we needed to drive 69 yards.  We ran it with Chandler and Elliott for 6 and 7 back to back, then on first and 10 hit Farrow for 19, burned a timeout but followed it up with an incompletion and then a 7 yard pass to Sanchez on a dump off.. Used our second time out then, by that time we had only 38 seconds to play.  On 3rd and 3 from the 30 we ran draw play to try to catch them off guard but tehy were ready, we didnt gain a yard and we had to use our last time out with only 32 seconds to play. 

On 4th and 3 we showed pass but Zeke ran for the 3 we needed, but again the clock was running so we had to spike the ball to stop the clock.

On We had 3 plays and 20 seconds to use them basically... Smoak hit Farrow for 23 yards and he got out of bounds to stop the clock giving us just 4 seconds to go, and on the last play we threw it for McReynolds but McKeown intercepted it to end our hopes.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:50 AM »
Sounds like a dramatic finish. Michigan's defence isn't good enough to restrict us like they did, though. Not without lots of sacks. We protected Smoak better this time but couldn't get any rhythm going. I'll speak to Coach Roy about that. What did you make of the defensive changes? I realise it's only 1 game but I just want an initial reaction. Is it worth taking another look at it?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:09 AM »

I was pleased with the defensive changes we made, I think it could be beneficial in the playoffs.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: December 07, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
In that case I think we'll stick with it this week too. I'd like the lads to get used to playing that way if we're going to use it when it matters. I don't think I have anything else for you this week so I'll let you get prepared.
------

Miss Profits, could you ask Caleb Smoak up to see me please?
------

Caleb, I've called you up because I wanted to see how you felt about the way we set up against Michigan. Are you comfortable playing out of the shotgun that much or would you be happier with our usual balanced approach?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 07, 2017, 02:51:10 PM »

I didn't mind it, but I think I am a little more comfortable under center more.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 07, 2017, 05:06:29 PM »
Thank you for your input. I'll take that on board when I speak to Coach Roy in a minute. I know I don't speak to you often but you've had a great season this year and we all appreciate your efforts. We just need to keep going for 4 more games and we'll have the success we deserve.  I'll let you get back to the rest of the lads.
-----

Coach Roy please, Miss Profits.
-----

Coach, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with the way that game went. We should have been able to score more than that against Michigan's defence. We protected Smoak better but we seemed to struggle to get any rhythm going. What did you make of the shotgun adjustments we made?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 07, 2017, 05:31:42 PM »

I felt like Smoak was a little rushed, not from the pressure, but a cumulative effect from the entire season.  He was still rushing to throw the ball and it threw us off.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 07, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
You mean like he's lost faith in the line to protect him? That's certainly concerning if that's the case, though not surprising. I spoke to him a moment ago and he says he still prefers to play under centre but I don't know if it's worth carrying on with the shotgun. I'm inclined to return to our usual style but do you think we benefited from the new system at all?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 07, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »

I don't think he's lost faith in them as much as mentally he's still having to be concerned with it... more subconsciously, you know?  As for the offense, I think we are more dangerous when we are comfortable, but I do see benefits from the shotgun as well.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 08, 2017, 03:19:02 AM »
If we'd started using it earlier I'd say we should stick with it but I think we're better off doing what we know we do well. Thank you Coach.

Mostly Starters
Run:Pass ratio 65:35 base.
Strategy changes: offensive systems and formations to revert to week 14 lock in.
Lock in

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 08, 2017, 12:09:47 PM »

1. Talk about winning the division in a tightly contested division game, and how that game will factor into now playing the same team in the first round of the playoffs.

2. How important was it to you to win the divsion?

3. How far can this team go in the playoffs?

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 09, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
1. Talk about winning the division in a tightly contested division game, and how that game will factor into now playing the same team in the first round of the playoffs.

The game mirrored the season as a whole really. We play in an extremely tough division and it could easily have been either of us topping the table at the end of the season. It was a lot tighter than I wanted but in the end we were able to step up when it mattered most. The regular season is about making the playoffs but the way you finish sets the tone for the games to come. We take some momentum into the first game now and, with it being St Paul again, I think we'll have the mental edge. We need to make sue we don't get complacent though. i do not want to be knocked out in the first game by St Paul for a second year in a row.

2. How important was it to you to win the divsion?

It was extremely important to win the division. It allows us to go into the playoffs with that extra bit of confidence and that can make a huge difference. It also allows us to start in front of our own fans and they are going to make it difficult for St Paul to get into their rhythm.

3. How far can this team go in the playoffs?

I honestly think we could go on to win the championship. That's what we're aiming for and I fancy our chances against anyone in the league.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 09, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »

I like our chances, and feel great about our match ups... St. Paul might think having John Carr back under center is an advantage for them, but We are going to show them that no matter who they line up at quarterback, we're too dominant for them to compete against.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 10, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »
I completely agree on the defensive side. I'm confident we can contain Carr. I'm liking the Nickel base but the time for experimenting is over. The question is, do we carry this through the playoffs now or bring it out against the mobile QBs? I'm tempted to leave it as is after that performance against St Paul. We got plenty of penetration anyway and it plays to our defensive strengths.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 10, 2017, 12:56:31 PM »

As much as they try to stretch the field with Quick these days, I say we stay in the nickle and keep the speed on the field.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 11, 2017, 03:32:19 AM »
I'm glad we're thinking along the same lines. So that's the defence sorted but what do we do about this offence. They've really disappointed me the past couple of games. Again last week we saw too many sacks. Everyone is going to hit us with a heavy dose of blitz now so we need to find a way to get the offence going. Playing from the shotgun seemed to help but it threw everyone off their rhythm. The other potential option is to increase our run percentage but I'm not comfortable going above 70%. We could just leave it and hope it clicks this week. Do any of those options stand out to you as particularly good or bad?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 11, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »

The big concern I have with running it "too much" is that if they do manage to slow us down, or our backs get tired, we suddenly become in effective and vulnerable, but I am not completely sure what we should do here.  Our offense has been enigmatic at times.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 12, 2017, 03:26:27 AM »
It's the lack of consistency that bothers me the most. We sometimes look unstoppable and at other times we just can't get things going. it's frustrating. I think we stick with what we're doing. When it works it works well. I don't want to chop and change at this point of the season. I'll follow you down to the practice and have a word with the lads.
-------

Right lads, gather round. First off, I want to congratulate you all on reaching the playoffs again this year and for winning the division. 3 playoff appearances in 3 years is a great achievement for a team that was previously the worst in the league. A lot of people would say we've not achieved anything yet but I think that needs to be recognised. This hasn't been our best season, I'm sure you'll all admit that. Defence, you've been outstanding again this year. We weren't getting enough penetration early in the year but that improved greatly in the second half so well done. Offence, we need more consistency from you. Some games you have been absolutely unplayable; Orlando, New Jersey. Other games have been disappointing; Michigan, Vegas. We've allowed too many sacks this year. Far too many. We're relying on you lads on the o-line to step up now. You're all better individually than I've seen out there. You need to be stronger and you need to help each other. Don't expect someone else to do it for you. this is the time to stand up and be counted. We're all capable of performing better than we have so far and that's what we're going to have to do from here on out. It's time to forget the regular season though. That's gone. Now we're into playoff football. Now there are no second chances and no fucking excuses. It's do or die time now, gentlemen. We have the ability to do something great this season. The coaches and I will set you up as best as we can but we can't go out and do it for you. You all need to go out there and give it your all on every snap. Not just for the fans or for yourselves but for the guys standing next to you out on that field or on the sidelines. This hasn't been our best season so far but it can be and I fully intend to be lifting a trophy in 3 games time. So get out there this week and let's take that first step to glory. Let's put St Paul back in their place and send a message to the rest of the league. I do not want to have our season ended early by these fuckers twice in a row. We've already beaten them twice this season... let's complete our revenge.
--------

Mostly Starters
Run:Pass ratio 65:35

Lock in

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: December 12, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »
1. Is it worse to lose this game after having just beat St. Paul in your last game?

2. What do you think you could have done differently?

3. How do you grade your job this season?

4. What do you do now that your season is over?

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 12, 2017, 05:29:02 PM »
I know you all have your questions after that game but I won't be answering any of them. This has been a rough day for everyone connected with the Mustangs franchise and we're all still a little raw at this point. It was a great game of football and I have to send my congratulations to GM Gooch and the St Paul team. We were very closely matched but it was mistakes that made the difference in the end. You can't blame anyone for that, it's just what happens in playoff football. Unfortunately it's happened to us too many times these past 3 seasons. Every player gave their all out there this week though and everyone can be proud of their efforts. I know I'm proud of all of them. Unfortunately we seem to have hit a bit of a pattern these past 3 seasons. We have been excellent during the regular season only to fall at the first hurdle in the playoffs. This team deserves a championship and that should have been our reward this season. I have to take responsibility for this disappointment. That's what this is in the end.

That's why I am announcing my resignation as General Manager of the Cleveland Mustangs. I am grateful to Mr Profits for giving me the opportunity and I am proud of what we achieved here. We took a team that was one of the worst in the league and turned it into one of the best. A lot of the credit, of course, goes to the great team of coaches I have had around me here. I am sorry to leave, and it's a decision I don't take lightly, but I'm confident that I leave the organisation in a great position and certainly better than I found it. I know they will go on to have great success after I've gone. I would like to thank the players for their efforts over the past few seasons. It's going to be difficult to leave you all but you all have very bright futures and I'm sure I will work with some of you again in the future. As for the fans, all I can say is thank you. Thank you for your support and for welcoming the Mustangs into your great city. I promised Mr Profits that I would lead this team through the transition and I feel like I've done that. Now is time for someone else to pick up from where I've left off and to carry this team to the championship they're so close to achieving.

To the press I say this... I'll see you all in DC.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 12, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »

After the shocking departure of GM Dazz, we are looking for a new General Manager to run this great, beautiful, wonderful, amazing team..

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 16, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »

What are you people, Morons?  I said THIS TEAM IS HIRING a COMPETENT GM!  If you are looking to leave your current crappy job with an inferior team, call me NOW!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 19, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »

Here is our team report.