Author Topic: DEBATE: Switching Favorite Teams  (Read 2977 times)

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
DEBATE: Switching Favorite Teams
« on: August 08, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »
I've been having a few interesting debates at work with a few co-workers about people switching favorite teams, for whatever the reason may be. The reason the conversation came up is because I have been thinking about doing so in two different sports.

For most of you know, I'm a Philadelphia Eagles fan. I would say pretty die hard one, especially since I come from the West Coast. I've never been to a live game, though I was able to watch a MNF game at the Infinity Center and the atmosphere was electric! I know the teams' past, went through their most successful period in their NFL history. I'm a loyal birds fan. I get asked the question a lot of why I am a Philly fan. Especially since I was born in So Cal and live in Oregon. It's not a family raised me as one thing... I simply saw them on TV and liked their uniforms. We're talking the old school Kelly green ones. It's not that I'm tired of explaining why I'm an Eagles fan. I think for me, it more has to do that I feel detached from the fan base (maybe not a bad thing? haha). I've never had friends who were Eagles fans to enjoy games with. To be honest, it's been a struggle being a fan of theirs. The Eagles are going through a transition period right now and with the recent move from St. Louis to Los Angeles, the Rams are as well. My other favorite teams are all from that area (Angels, Ducks, Lakers), although I'll get to that in a little bit. So in my head, it makes sense. Make the move now. I don't know if I'd feel more connected to being a Rams fan. I don't even know if I'd like it as much as being a Birds fan. My grandpa was a pretty die hard Rams fan though, so I do have some family history there. But my other grandpa was a die hard Raiders fan. Once again... still baffles me I was persuaded to be a fan of either one... or maybe I was and just don't remember. I blame Randall Cunningham. I don't even know If I'll go through with it. Maybe it'll just take seeing the Eagles take the field for a preseason game on Friday to forget all this nonsense.

This leads me to my second potential favorite team move. For those that have talked to me, you may know that I'm not a big NBA fan anymore. In fact, I've felt pretty disconnected from the sport over the last 5-10 years. I was raised as a Lakers fan post-Showtime. So I grew up watching Cedric Ceballos, Sedale Threatt, Nick Van Exel, Elden Campbell, Vlade Divac... well you get the point. I loved the NBA when I was a kid even if the Lakers sucked (at least to their standards). Then came the Kobe/Shaq era. And then the rise of Kobe. And now the Lakers will transition (there is that word again) into the post-Kobe era and I do have to say, looks promising if the young talent there flourish into future stars. As some of you also might now, I live an hour south of Portland. I would say I hated the Blazers up until they drafted Brandon Roy (who I was fan of in his college days, watching him beat up on my Beavers). I started to become a closet Blazers fan, while still supporting my boy, Kobe and the 2 titles they won. With the Lakers changing their identity (no more Kobe)... I've contemplated making a transition myself. Even though my friends back home who hated the fact I was a Lakers fan would hate me for it... I identify more with the Blazers and the city of Portland.

I don't know... it's a really hard concept for me to wrap my head around. It's like getting a divorce with your high school sweetheart that you married.

So the TL/DR main point of this topic. 

Do you think switching favorite teams makes you a bad sports fan?     

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
  • GM of the Eastern Conference Champions
    • View Profile
Re: DEBATE: Switching Favorite Teams
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
It doesn't make you a "bad" fan, it makes you disloyal though. Makes people think you'll jump ship again when the going gets rough. You'll be labeled a "fair weather fan".

I know the "living far from your team" struggle. You just need to do your best to stay connected.

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 04:39:17 PM »
The Eagles won I'd be okay with - there's going to be a whole NEW fanbase there that you can fit in with. The Portland one is a little tough but I can kind of identify about the proximity thing. I'm sort of the same with the Flames/Blue Jays/Raptors in that I like it when they do well as it makes the people around me happy and the atmosphere where you are more exciting. If my team (Lightning/Nationals/TBD) isn't in I'll pull for them to succeed and they'll become "my" team for that brief period. I don't think it makes you a bad fan of your team (though Pancho will disagree but his teams all suck anyways) it just comes with the territory of being distant from your team.

This is maybe the best way to put it; if you're back home and the Blazers are in Game 7 of the finals you're not going to sit on the couch while you're friends go out. You're going to want to be a part of it. It's not the same as your team winning but it is still pretty special.

GM Black Death

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
  • The Big Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:45:17 PM »
Switch... who cares what other people think... it about how you feel. if your happy  cheering with or for another team .  Do it  and enjoy yourself

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 04:55:45 PM »
It doesn't make you a "bad" fan, it makes you disloyal though. Makes people think you'll jump ship again when the going gets rough. You'll be labeled a "fair weather fan".

I know the "living far from your team" struggle. You just need to do your best to stay connected.

I don't worry about loyalty... because I know I have loyalty. This isn't about the teams are bad, it's time to change ships. And it's not like I'm switching to the Patriots and Warriors. I'm switching to the Rams and Blazers (if I go through with it). It's not like I switch teams when they hit a tough spot and I've had 30 favorite teams in my lifetime. I'm going to be 31 this month and I've been a fan of each of my teams from the earliest I can remember. I can see how it could be perceived as disloyalty, but it's the loyalty I have to the Eagles and Lakers that makes this a really tough decision.   

I've gone through hard times with all my teams. We all go through bad stretches, some longer and worse than others.

Really the only thing that was keeping me connected with these teams were the players or coaches. With the Lakers, it was Kobe. With Philly it was Coach Reid, Dawkins, Cole. And if I did switch, I'd always hold a special place in my heart for the Birds.

I understand what you're saying though. 

The Eagles won I'd be okay with - there's going to be a whole NEW fanbase there that you can fit in with. The Portland one is a little tough but I can kind of identify about the proximity thing. I'm sort of the same with the Flames/Blue Jays/Raptors in that I like it when they do well as it makes the people around me happy and the atmosphere where you are more exciting. If my team (Lightning/Nationals/TBD) isn't in I'll pull for them to succeed and they'll become "my" team for that brief period. I don't think it makes you a bad fan of your team (though Pancho will disagree but his teams all suck anyways) it just comes with the territory of being distant from your team.

This is maybe the best way to put it; if you're back home and the Blazers are in Game 7 of the finals you're not going to sit on the couch while you're friends go out. You're going to want to be a part of it. It's not the same as your team winning but it is still pretty special.

I agree with Pancho that you should only be a "fan" of one team, if you call a team in the sport and league your favorite team. I disagree that you can't side with another team once your team is eliminated though. I can never say I've sided with the Rams, ever though. I favored the Titans and the Pats in the two SB's they went to in my lifetime. I have sided with the Blazers on numerous occasions though. Even when the Lakers were good and winning titles... yep... guilty there (though never against the Lakers).   

I feel it's a decision I'd need to make prior to the NFL/NBA regular seasons from starting otherwise, I think it'd be too late and I'd stay with both teams.   

Switch... who cares what other people think... it about how you feel. if your happy  cheering with or for another team .  Do it  and enjoy yourself

It's not that I care what others think. It's more of a debate on how people perceive others that do this. Not just me for thinking of doing it. I've seen it before though. Somebody is a fan of Team A... they move later in live to City B and become a fan of Team B.

Another example, although college love is different from professional sports love, I use to be an Oregon Ducks fan all through high school. USC fan when I was a kid. I kept my Oregon Ducks loyalty through my first full year at Oregon State before I realized I connect more with the identity of the city of Corvallis and Beavers teams. But I also understand that it happens once you attend a university and get in their culture, etc. Kicking myself now though as Oregon have become a national powerhouse in athletics, while Oregon State primarily sucks, lol. But I still love my Beavs.       

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:37:04 PM »
Personally I won't switch teams, but if you want to no one should be a dick about it. Plenty of people do it because they pick a team based on a certain player (millions of Bulls fans suddenly appeared in the 90s, Patriots the last 15 years), so if you want to switch it seems like you've got better reasons than a lot of people.

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 2
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »
I was thinking about something along similar lines as you are right now. There are a couple of sports where I don't have a team, NBA and MLS....in which I wanted to adopt a team. I'm a fan of the teams I am (Ravens, Mets, Flyers) for as long as I can remember. I don't know exactly why I ended up being fans of those random teams, but I know because I've been a fan for so long that I feel like a member of the fanbase. I think for a lot of people you set your heart on a team when you're a kid, and it becomes apart of your identity.

Because of that, adopting teams in the NBA and the MLS doesn't feel the same. I'm 25 now and I'm finding it difficult to pick a team and build fanaticism about those teams. When I was a kid it was simple. For baseball and hockey, the Mets and Flyers were rivals of my step-father's favorite teams, so I decided I wanted to oppose him too. For Baltimore, they entered the NFL just as I started becoming aware football was a thing, and they won the superbowl in 2000 and that was the best thing in the world to 9 year old me.

And I dunno any connections I might feel to a new team now won't feel the same, and I feel odd about it. I know so much more about sports than I did when I was 9, so now I have this sort of informed decision in front of me and it doesn't feel the same. What criteria do I use to pick a team now? Do I pick a team because of it's proximity to where I happen to live at the moment? Do I pick a team close to where I'd want to live in the future? Do I pick a team because they are good?

I know some people believe that fans should be fans for life or else, but I don't subscribe to that theory.

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 13
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
I'm someone who switched teams when I was younger, and I still get flak for it. But I don't care because while I've switched teams in one sport, I've also been loyal to the Blue Jays since 92. Even when they sucked for the last few years.

I guess the main thing is, if you are switching for a reason other then they are sucking (and really, going from the Eagles to the Rams seems kinda lateral in that sense) then it shouldn't get too much trouble from people. If you start switching every year then they might razz you about it.

So I guess that means it's okay to do lol

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1023
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:48:36 PM »
I think it's an age thing, particularly with how much sport has changed with social media and stupid amounts of money in the last decade or so. I'm 30 and I'm having a bit of a crisis about the teams I support as well. I'm a Manchester Utd fan, but the team isn't the same as it was when I started supporting them. It has become everything I hate about modern football, but if I dump them I will be accused of leaving because the team isn't successful anymore. That's not the reason at all, but that's how it will be seen. In the UK, it is totally unacceptable to switch teams so I'll stick by mine and be miserable... but I'm from the Black Country so being miserable is a way of life, anyway.

For you, I think the switch to the Rams makes perfect sense and you won't get too much stick because they moved to your area (the area your other favourite teams are from). Switching from the Lakers is the opposite and would make it hard to justify either switch. I suggest you stick with the Lakers' post-Kobe transition and just cheer for the Blazers and your favourite player on the side.

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:37:55 PM »
Well gentlemen, I have made my official decision.

As much as it pains me.... I will be leaving the Eagles Nest and joining Rams Mountain. I will continue to be a Lakers fan, while cheering for the Blazers when they don't face the Lakers or impact the Lakers towards the end of the season.

I wanted to make this decision prior to the start of the preseason games.

It's going to be a really REALLY strange transition, but over time, I think it's a decision I will always stand behind.

Thanks for the debate guys and feel free to continue to debate the topic, it's a rather interesting one.

GM Cory

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 04:02:44 PM »
Well with Lane Johnson out for 10 games, won't be missing much here this season.....Todd Gurley has more talent in his left pinky than any of the skill players on the Eagles offense currently.

Enjoy the Goff + Gurley era.

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »
Well with Lane Johnson out for 10 games, won't be missing much here this season.....Todd Gurley has more talent in his left pinky than any of the skill players on the Eagles offense currently.

Enjoy the Goff + Gurley era.

That had nothing to do with my decision.

I actually favor Wentz over Goff. Time will tell though as they will always be linked to each other going 1/2.

GM Cory

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »
That had nothing to do with my decision.

I actually favor Wentz over Goff. Time will tell though as they will always be linked to each other going 1/2.

Not saying it made your decision but it's making the transition a bit easier.

As long as you hate the Cowboys and Giants all the same it doesnt matter who you root for....

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 04:33:57 PM »
And I've always hated the Seachickens and 40whiners.

GM Pancho

• IMPACT BOWL V CHAMPION!
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 03:11:54 AM »
I hope you regret this decision.

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 25
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
I think the only way you can drop your team if you decide to follow a player only. This is the only respectable compromise and still a hard one to listen too if you are someone else listening to you explain why you only follow one payer. I have a buddy who likes two teams in every sport for the last twenty years. One in each conference, I used to think that was ok until I realized he did it to make sure he always had something to root for with no real disappointment. He was a NBA:Pacers/Golden State     NFL Miami/Packers      MLB Yankees/Pirates NHL: Rangers/Ducks. As I became older his contribution to sports debates meant nothing and no one cared what he had to say or cared to celebrate with him when ever one of his many teams were succeeding. One sports one team, now there is nothing wrong with liking to watch a player or two on other teams and even cheering for them to win just to see your favorite player succeed as long as it doesn't get in the way of you rooting for your own team. I personally feel you won't be happy with your new team and everyone will look at you like a phoney when you are cheering for your new team especially if the team you choose is already or on the verge of being successful for many years to come. I almost dropped baseball and my Braves because they traded everyone who I felt was the foundation of my team the last two years. I hate Jon Hart and think he is overrated. But I can't ever see myself rooting for another team.

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 25
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »
If you change, choose a bad team so eventually people know you didn't jump on a winner and you put in some suffering time.

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
Ummm... Eddie, I already made the switch.

I hope you regret this decision.

Not as bad as waiting a year and choosing the Chargers... yikes! Avoided that one, eh?

GM Pancho

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »
Ummm... Eddie, I already made the switch.

Not as bad as waiting a year and choosing the Chargers... yikes! Avoided that one, eh?

Better QB. Better RB. Better WR. Better DL player. Better CB.

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 08:15:40 PM »

They'll be the top team in CA if the Raiders go to Vegas...

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »

Rams have the better RB and DL.

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 25
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 11:39:14 AM »
You know you could just stream all the Eagle game and never miss a beat. They are going to be better quicker than any California team if Raiders leave.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
  • GM of the Eastern Conference Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 12:16:07 PM »
You know you're a year late, right?

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 12:17:20 PM »
You know you could just stream all the Eagle game and never miss a beat. They are going to be better quicker than any California team if Raiders leave.

It wasn't about not being able to watch the games. It was about not being able to identify with the team/fan base.

This had zero to do about the quality of the teams.

GM Pancho

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »
It wasn't about not being able to watch the games. It was about not being able to identify with the team/fan base.

This had zero to do about the quality of the teams.

Clearly considering your choice of the Rams

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »

Clearly considering your choice of the Rams

Which why I go to you for advice for terrible quality in favorite team selection.

GM Justin

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 17
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 05:41:27 PM »
If the Redskins tag Cousins again I may look for a new team

GM Jon

• Prediction Admin
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »
If the Redskins tag Cousins again I may look for a new team

You want to move on from Cousins?

GM Justin

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 17
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 09:22:34 PM »
You want to move on from Cousins?

Yes, he is wildly inconsistent...only problem is there isn't much of an alternative out there.

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
Yes, he is wildly inconsistent...only problem is there isn't much of an alternative out there.

... I hear RGIII is likely to be cut ...