Author Topic: Great Balls of Fire Thoughts & Reactions  (Read 440 times)

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1334
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
Great Balls of Fire Thoughts & Reactions
« on: July 10, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »
I really enjoyed the PPV last night for the most part.

The Neville/Akira fight on the pre-show was pretty entertaining and I just love this Neville heel run.

There were a couple bleh matches in Rollins/Bray and Ambrose/Miz... but those matches are both leading into Summerslam matches most likely.

The Tag Team Iron Man match was outstanding. It was pretty slow through the first half of the match, but I really thought it got good at the end. I got suckered into thinking the Hardy Boyz won after Jeff hit the swanton. So really awesome spots in the match too... and damn did Matt get "broken" in this match...

The Women's match was exactly what it had to be. It was fairly entertaining and a perfect ending to continue their feud to Summerslam.

Universal Title match is also exactly what I thought it would be. Brock breaking through a couple Coquina Clutch's and slamming Joe around until he retained. Personally would have loved to see Joe win the belt, but knew it was a long shot.

Ambulance Match was the match of the night for me though. These guys really work well together and I really didn't know who WWE was going to put over in this match leading into Summerslam. It was a fantastic ending and the post-match activities really raised an eyebrow as to if this the actual makings of a Reigns heel turn. Announcers no sold that though. I'm very intrigued to see the aftermath of this on Raw tonight and which one of these guys will face Brock at SS.

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
Re: Great Balls of Fire Thoughts & Reactions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
I really enjoyed the PPV last night for the most part.

The Neville/Akira fight on the pre-show was pretty entertaining and I just love this Neville heel run.

There were a couple bleh matches in Rollins/Bray and Ambrose/Miz... but those matches are both leading into Summerslam matches most likely.

The Tag Team Iron Man match was outstanding. It was pretty slow through the first half of the match, but I really thought it got good at the end. I got suckered into thinking the Hardy Boyz won after Jeff hit the swanton. So really awesome spots in the match too... and damn did Matt get "broken" in this match...

The Women's match was exactly what it had to be. It was fairly entertaining and a perfect ending to continue their feud to Summerslam.

Universal Title match is also exactly what I thought it would be. Brock breaking through a couple Coquina Clutch's and slamming Joe around until he retained. Personally would have loved to see Joe win the belt, but knew it was a long shot.

Ambulance Match was the match of the night for me though. These guys really work well together and I really didn't know who WWE was going to put over in this match leading into Summerslam. It was a fantastic ending and the post-match activities really raised an eyebrow as to if this the actual makings of a Reigns heel turn. Announcers no sold that though. I'm very intrigued to see the aftermath of this on Raw tonight and which one of these guys will face Brock at SS.

I really think that this show did set up Neville vs. Tozawa at Summerslam on the main card, it was a really entertaining match that let Tozawa shine enough to show he can put on a great match with Neville.

Miz/Ambrose needs to be DONE. It's needed to be done since they moved Miz and Ambrose to Raw from Smackdown..  but I think Bray getting the win was actually nice for him, but they'll just undo it like always, Seth definitely sold well for Bray which was good on him.

The only thing I would've liked more in the Tag match was if Corey hadn't already revealed that a tie would mean Sheamus/Cesaro would retain (no overtime) because 4-3 with only seconds left, it didn't matter if Jeff got the pin or not... 5-star match for Raw though, it was VERY well done.

I think Alexa has been amazing lately, she sold well and flashes aggression at all the right times.  That after-match brawl was fun too!

Loved Brock/Joe, did a little dance when Brock got the 3 count because they really had me thinking Joe was going over.

The commentary teams refusal to out and out condemn Reigns' aftermatch actions BOGGLES MY MIND.  Face or not, your commentary team HAS to sell that as less "sad and concerning" and more "outraged and concerned"

...GBOF may have been a stupid name, but it was an amazing Product.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
For me, I'm starting to get bored with Brock's short matches and 3 moves of doom. This was a dream match, it could have lasted for 10-15 minutes, and probably should have.

Also, the Heath vs. Hawkins thing was confusing and did nothing for either guy. Heath is still over, it would be nice if he gets a run either against Sheamus/Cesaro, or maybe a real feud against the Miz. With Rhyno backing him up, Heath becomes a credible challenger.

Also, no Finn or Sampson <3

Other than that, the direction RAW has been heading lately is great. The build to Joe/Brock was one of the best programs in a long time.

Braun is fucking over. Pull the double turn and set him on Brock. Or maybe set him and Reigns on Brock for Summerslam. I'd buy the hell out of that.

Ambrose and Miz have such chemistry, and the Miztorage is great. I'd like to see both move on from one another. They also stole the show on RAW Talk as well.

The Tag Title match is a good candidate for match of year. Other than Corey's blunder, this was one of the most unique ways they've ever booked an Ironman Match.

Alexa is a Goddess, enough said. Sasha's revelation about her personal dislike of Alexa on RAW Talk was A+ storytelling as well. We'll get more of this feud. I just hope they give something for the rest of the RAW women to do. With Summerslam being a joint PPV, I fear that won't be the case.

I really wanted Enzo to 'win' the match. Either via something cheap like a roll-up or count-out or even DQ. I feel like they could have gotten mileage out of this feud had something like that happened. Now if they continue this feud into Summerslam, on what grounds does Enzo have to stand on?

Wow, Bray got a win...on PPV. That's TWICE this year that has happened. A new record for Bray! I don't think Bray and Rollins have any storyline chemistry, unfortunately. This feud will probably continue into Summerslam, but it shouldn't.

I missed the Cruiserweight fight, but I like the story overall. I really hope this leads to Neville getting in the ring with Titus or Apollo at some point. It would be nice for WWE to show that being 205 doesn't mean you can't hang with the rest of the roster (side benefit since Finn is also under 205). The way Neville is built he almost has to move on from the 205 division to make him credible once he is out of the title picture. We don't want to enter Asuka territory. Nor is there another cruiserweight brand for him to go to, ala New Day.

GM Black Death

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 2
  • The Big Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »
For me, I'm starting to get bored with Brock's short matches and 3 moves of doom. This was a dream match, it could have lasted for 10-15 minutes, and probably should have.

Also, the Heath vs. Hawkins thing was confusing and did nothing for either guy. Heath is still over, it would be nice if he gets a run either against Sheamus/Cesaro, or maybe a real feud against the Miz. With Rhyno backing him up, Heath becomes a credible challenger.

Also, no Finn or Sampson <3

Other than that, the direction RAW has been heading lately is great. The build to Joe/Brock was one of the best programs in a long time.

Braun is fucking over. Pull the double turn and set him on Brock. Or maybe set him and Reigns on Brock for Summerslam. I'd buy the hell out of that.

Ambrose and Miz have such chemistry, and the Miztorage is great. I'd like to see both move on from one another. They also stole the show on RAW Talk as well.

The Tag Title match is a good candidate for match of year. Other than Corey's blunder, this was one of the most unique ways they've ever booked an Ironman Match.

Alexa is a Goddess, enough said. Sasha's revelation about her personal dislike of Alexa on RAW Talk was A+ storytelling as well. We'll get more of this feud. I just hope they give something for the rest of the RAW women to do. With Summerslam being a joint PPV, I fear that won't be the case.

I really wanted Enzo to 'win' the match. Either via something cheap like a roll-up or count-out or even DQ. I feel like they could have gotten mileage out of this feud had something like that happened. Now if they continue this feud into Summerslam, on what grounds does Enzo have to stand on?

Wow, Bray got a win...on PPV. That's TWICE this year that has happened. A new record for Bray! I don't think Bray and Rollins have any storyline chemistry, unfortunately. This feud will probably continue into Summerslam, but it shouldn't.

I missed the Cruiserweight fight, but I like the story overall. I really hope this leads to Neville getting in the ring with Titus or Apollo at some point. It would be nice for WWE to show that being 205 doesn't mean you can't hang with the rest of the roster (side benefit since Finn is also under 205). The way Neville is built he almost has to move on from the 205 division to make him credible once he is out of the title picture. We don't want to enter Asuka territory. Nor is there another cruiserweight brand for him to go to, ala New Day.

pretty much my thoughts also ...

GM Cory

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »
Ive been shitting on the PPV's as of late, but that was an excellent show top to bottom.

Only thing is didnt Reigns claim he wanted the winner of Joe/Brock at Summerslam, but with losing the Ambulance match...from a storytelling standpoint you dont get a title match by losing your way to it unless you're Jinder Mahal.

Reigns/Braun blowoff at Summerslam and lets get Joe/Brock II. I read a report that Brock was really impressed with Joe so I imagine their part deux will be better.

Alexa Bliss > all.