Author Topic: Some Ideas we can try especialy if roster are expanded  (Read 845 times)

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 25
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
Some Ideas we can try especialy if roster are expanded
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
Some ideas I was thinking of if rosters are expanded which I think is a great idea.

If we expand rosters I feel the minimums shouldn't be raised. I think leave the minimums the way they are and let each owner decided how to build his team without being guided to filling out certain roster requirements. I team might need more linebackers and skim out on CB's. That's there team to run and manage. I think expanding minimums holds the GM's hand to much.

I think the preseason should be expanded from 2 to 4 this way we can get a better gauge of players this leads me to my other idea that I think the option of coaches decision should be eliminated and let each team have to set their line up without coaches decision.

I think it would be fun if each GM had an advisor run by Talon of course that always gave two pieces of advice every 4th week for each team, one real bad piece of advice and one good piece of advice and depending which one the GM goes with effects a part of their team. Either team morale, Someone getting pissed etc.

just some thoughts.

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
Re: Some Ideas we can try especialy if roster are expanded
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »

If we expand rosters I feel the minimums shouldn't be raised. I think leave the minimums the way they are and let each owner decided how to build his team without being guided to filling out certain roster requirements. I team might need more linebackers and skim out on CB's. That's there team to run and manage. I think expanding minimums holds the GM's hand to much.

This is not a me issue, this is the sim requiring minimums, otherwise I would not.  I hate that teams have to have to have a fullback if they dont use them etc.
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 25
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:52:50 PM »
cool

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:51:32 PM »
I like the idea of an expanded pre-season, but it's more work for Talon so that would have to be a decision he makes. The advisor idea is interesting, if a bit gamey. It's certainly better than pissing off the coaches with GM questions, although I think that the advisor would probably be best replacing the secretary as they could be merged into one role.

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 06:22:48 PM »
No.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Very insightful.

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 786
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
I got the idea from your recent pressers!

GM Pancho

• IMPACT BOWL V CHAMPION!
  • The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:28:25 PM »
I like the idea of an expanded pre-season, but it's more work for Talon so that would have to be a decision he makes. The advisor idea is interesting, if a bit gamey. It's certainly better than pissing off the coaches with GM questions, although I think that the advisor would probably be best replacing the secretary as they could be merged into one role.

The adviser is already your secretary In terms of small things to know about the league and what is next to do.  What would you need advice on?  That's a GM issue and really ... the point of the game.  Essentially it sounds like Talon please provide me a character who can do my job for me.

I say this knowing if I had a good adviser he wouldn't recommend half the actions I take since I'm notoriously a risk taker. 

Unless you had an example of a question or more detailed role I don't see the upside to this besides Talon playing our game for us - because in my eyes - there are multiple ways to play the game.  There's not one cookie cutter way to play.

I would shoot myself if I had to play like GM Jon. He's BORING!! I can't do that. I want to have press conferences about the size of my dick and have trials of the centuries!

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 3
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 08:38:48 PM »
I don't think any of these ideas improve the game. Sorry Eddie.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »
More preseason is doable but also means more injuries

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
  • GM of the Eastern Conference Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 11:20:36 PM »

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 01:59:00 AM »
My thought was that the advisor would have certain traits that help you in one way or another. Instead of replacing the secretary, I'd actually advocate having the role replace the scouting director. If you want to use that slot for scouting, then maybe you get more detailed reports or a discount on scouting. Or you could go with a stats guy like in Moneyball who can tell you the guys on your team (or other teams) who are undervalued. PR guru. Player liason. Troubleshooter. Bowser on retainer. Something like that. At the moment, the scouting director is useful to guys who value the draft but a dead weight for those of us (maybe just me) who don't value rookies very highly. This would allow us to seperate our teams and styles even more from each other.

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 25
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
i LIKE THAT, maybe replace scouting director and hire either one of three guys

A stats guy who tells you 2 years worth of stats for free agents (you can use this every three weeks)  who you can give you info on the best guy to select at the draft (These guys can have a price tag accoring to how good they are you Can only use him twice during the draft)

A team guru who can tell you whose morale is up and down, how guys are feeling who is coasting and who is struggling. This could avoid alot of back and fourth with the coach (Every three weeks)

A A guy who can tell you the bet way to use your money, on what players or what contract you can reasonably offer. Can only be used limited,not for all players

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 13
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
You can also look back at past games/seasons for stats on free agents yourself, rather then needing to hire a guy...Plus the coaches tend to offer up the morale stuff.

If you have a good relationship with coaches you tend to get more of this kind of information. Maybe not the stats, but it's not like that stuff is unattainable, you just have to do a little bit of the leg work.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »
This discussion is about an idea I have zero interest in doing, so really the ifs and buts are moot.

The staff is the staff.

The GM's job is to do their own research if they really want to know things, or find a scouting director who is more stats driven. 
Things you can find out by asking things like "So when you're scouting a player do you look at his numbers, measurable, intangibles..." or something along those lines (be creative, if you use my example I shall smite thee.) but instead everyone asked "what position do you specialize in." and that was about it.

Anyways.

If the league wants to bring an expanded pre-season to a vote, I have no problem allowing it as that is something I can do within the confines of the sim.  Some of these other ideas that get floated are just me doing more work and the GM playing madden and seeing everything spelled out for them to a T.

However, if you guys vote in an extra two games in the pre-season don't be surprised with some players have zero interest in playing in 1/2 or more of the pre-season and injuries pile up early.  You've all seen how injuries have been this season if you want to roll the dice on that to get some extra game tape of your players I am fine with adding it in. 

GM Cory

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »
My only suggestion would be to change the scouting trips from players to teams, or single scout to head of scouting if that makes sense.

I haven't been here as long as some to get the averages but what's the average GMs have to spend on scouting? Most can scout less than 10 players? That seems fairly unrealistic, even with wanting the scouting/draft to not be a cakewalk, and it's really been the only unsatisfying aspect to this awesome sim. The guesswork of scouting.

My suggestion would be to

A) Change the single scout we have now to head of scouting, so if we send them to scout 'X' who plays for Baylor, you get your report on 'X' but the rest of his scouting team that went got a quick report on some of the other Baylor prospects, to help GM's fill their draft board a little better.

-- or --

B) A more expensive option would be scouting games. Send your head scout and his team to The National Title Game/A Bowl Game/Rivalry Game that features a few prospects on either side of the ball you may be interested in, and get reports that way.

Right now I feel scouting is outside of one or two news stories about a guy or two, it's a big list of players that you guess on who you want to spend money to scout on. If you need a running back and there hasn't been a news story on one, there is nothing that separates one from the other. I guess maybe adding their stats, or all-american/award status could help but that'd obviously be more work on T's plate and could make it TOO easy, v/s having to correctly send your scouts to games that will get you reports you need/want.

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 86
  • Never wanted the fame, I only wanted to be great
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
You can also look back at past games/seasons for stats on free agents yourself, rather then needing to hire a guy...Plus the coaches tend to offer up the morale stuff.

If you have a good relationship with coaches you tend to get more of this kind of information. Maybe not the stats, but it's not like that stuff is unattainable, you just have to do a little bit of the leg work.

Also, no more preseason games. Injuries are too risky.
GM Kirk [12|Mar 04:19 PM]: Gooch, how much did you bribe the HIFLPA to help you steal all my players?
GM TJ [12|Mar 04:21 PM]: Lolololololololooooooooooollllllllllll
Disgraced GM Powers [12|Mar 04:24 PM]: The league is #TeamGooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: It's because he's so nice....
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: Unnaturally nice...
GM Adam Wrong [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: I love gooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:26 PM]: Everyone loves Gooch, except Kirk...
GM Phoenix [12|Mar 04:28 PM]: Almost makes you think gooch is reincarnate red skull trying to live a double nice guy life on hifl
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:31 PM]: Gooch's heel turn will rival Hogan....

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »
The suggested additional advisor already exists, it's the AC. We all use them in different ways.

I agree almost entirely with Cory about scouting though. I have my methods for picking who to scout but there is still a large element of guesswork. And like Cory says, even if you do go and scout 10 guys on top of the combine you still only have info on a tiny proportion of players. By the time the 4th round comes along I doubt any of us are picking with any knowledge. I know the counter argument will be that we don't have to spend so much PR on players  and coaches. The problem there is that it only takes 1 or 2 overpaying players/coaches and suddenly that's where the market is. Perhaps it would be worth separating the scouting budget from the salaries.

If that's not an official rules change then perhaps as GMs we need to come to an agreement about salaries to try and bring them under control. coaches are taking up huge proportions of PR budgets already.

GM Dazz

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »
I think Talon already has brought in a way to scout a team though.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 05:56:33 PM »
I think that you should get 'X' number of scouting trips included with your director, based on their skill. A rated scouts give you 4, B gives you 3, C gives you 2, and so on.

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1334
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »
This thread has completely gone off topic of original post.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »
None of you get the joy of writing the 200-500 reports I write every season, so I'll happily tell you there is no plan of me expanding the ease of your scouting, unless you all want much more vague and abbreviated reports. ;)

Cheers.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »
Wait....you write reports up on everyone, regardless of if they are scouted or not? Because there is no way we as GMs can rack up that many requests, is there?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
If 20 GMs do 10 reports each and go to the combine, that puts me in the 200+ range instantly.

so its at least 150 minimum plus the combine.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »
I don't do any scouting just to help you out, Talon.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »
I don't do any scouting just to help you out, Talon.

...but you had that damned camp >_> 

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 09:13:23 PM »
Ouch.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »
...but you had that damned camp >_>

Had. GM Kirk, blowing up teams to save Talon effort.  ???

GM Justin

• Supreme Basketball Alliance sim Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 01:18:52 AM »
My only suggestion would be to change the scouting trips from players to teams, or single scout to head of scouting if that makes sense.

I haven't been here as long as some to get the averages but what's the average GMs have to spend on scouting? Most can scout less than 10 players? That seems fairly unrealistic, even with wanting the scouting/draft to not be a cakewalk, and it's really been the only unsatisfying aspect to this awesome sim. The guesswork of scouting.

My suggestion would be to

A) Change the single scout we have now to head of scouting, so if we send them to scout 'X' who plays for Baylor, you get your report on 'X' but the rest of his scouting team that went got a quick report on some of the other Baylor prospects, to help GM's fill their draft board a little better.

-- or --

B) A more expensive option would be scouting games. Send your head scout and his team to The National Title Game/A Bowl Game/Rivalry Game that features a few prospects on either side of the ball you may be interested in, and get reports that way.

Right now I feel scouting is outside of one or two news stories about a guy or two, it's a big list of players that you guess on who you want to spend money to scout on. If you need a running back and there hasn't been a news story on one, there is nothing that separates one from the other. I guess maybe adding their stats, or all-american/award status could help but that'd obviously be more work on T's plate and could make it TOO easy, v/s having to correctly send your scouts to games that will get you reports you need/want.

Attending the combine pretty much solves most of this problem.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1022
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 01:36:47 AM »
Personally, I'd just like to see the end of the scouting director. That role doesn't add anything to the game. It hasn't changed the scouting mechanics at all and it just adds an unnecessary expense.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 01:40:34 AM »
Hence my suggestion to get 'X' amount of free reports from them, but T don't like it so.....

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »
If 20 GMs do 10 reports each and go to the combine, that puts me in the 200+ range instantly.

so its at least 150 minimum plus the combine.

So you're under the impression that you get free to not Hiffle?

:)

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

GM Gravedigger

• The First Triple Crown Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 213
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »
*free time

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »
*free time

I know, crazy thought isn't it?