Author Topic: TEAM: VIRGINIA BEACH TIDE  (Read 2581 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
  • Bringing the Thunder since 2014
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: VIRGINIA BEACH TIDE
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »

I am hoping to reach out to GM Kirk to arrange a joint-promotion event prior to our series with Tokyo.  I feel that it would be worth while for both our organizations to put baseball rivalries aside to celebrate our diverse sport and the excellent ambassadors to the game that we have on both sides of the globe.

Good luck out there this weekend Maeda Sama, I'm looking forward to seeing how well we play with your talents injected into the lineup!

STARTING LINE UPS (Game 1-3, depending on starter)

vs. RHP
1. L - Justin York (CF)
2. R - Tokujiro Maeda (SS)

3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Eric Thomas (1B)
6. L - Jonathan Guaderrama (RF)
7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

vs. LHP
1. L - Justin York (CF)

3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Jonathan Guaderrama (RF)
6. L - Eric Thomas (1B)

7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

Starting Pitcher Rotation
1. Felix Haraculamo
2. Ricky Aguirre
3. Javy Coronado

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »

WEEK 5

1. Discuss the latest series. What was one thing you loved and one thing you hated?

There was a lot to love this week, getting our first series sweep was amazing.  Beating a good friend but fierce competitive rival in GM Pancho made it even sweeter, and to see our starting pitchers come out and give us a combined 18.1 innings and only allowing 1 run in the process?  That is phenomenal and exactly what we had in mind when we made the moves that brought Ricky Aguirre in to solidify our rotation.  King Felix was lights out with what I would say was his best start of the season, and Javy again came through as a great anchor in game three.  The pen was excellent with everyone contributing to the cause, and one major thing we have done this season which isn't a big "media" stat but it is a big one for me, we've had 17 situations where a reliever came in with runners on base, and only 3 times this entire season have our relievers allowed any of those 17 men to touch home plate.  That is the definition of having your teammates back.  We are confident handing the ball to the next guy in the pen because we know when it matters most, they are going to shut the door whether its on a rally, an inning, or for the save. 

Now if I have to nitpick something I wasn't happy with this series was our 10:25 BB:K ratio.  We weren't disciplined at the plate, and while our pitching bailed us out of any trouble it could have caused, we have to clean that up and make sure to make each at bat count.  We have to put the ball in play.  We've got three guys who have been doing that consistantly this season in York, Maeda, and Johnny Baseball and I think all three guys can be great positive influences to make sure the rest of the roster works the count and tries to put the ball in play each and every A.B.

2. Talk about at least one piece of news.   

Obviously our biggest concern from the news this week is the fallout from the Brooklyn series.  It is unfortunate that the league office has suspended David Pearce, and I am going to talk to skip to see how he feels about us appealing the ruling, but if he ends up serving his suspension this series, I have faith that Tom Owen and Taylor Ehrenfeld are going to do a great job keeping the bats and arms ready to go and make the right calls when it comes to game day.

I hate to see Javy get fined, but I am definitely thankful he is not being suspended.  We've had some control-slips this year when it comes to HBP's, we are a very aggressive pitching staff, we like to power the ball inside to set up our secondary pitches, and sometimes when a guy crowds the plate that ball inside gets a little too far in and makes contact.  We've accidentally plunked 8 batters this season, 4 of which belonged to Johnny Frank, but I am not going to ask my pitchers to shy away from an inside pitch, it is who we are as a staff, and none of our guys are complaining about the 5 HBP's we've suffered on our end, its part of the game and unless there is clearly bad intentions behind a throw, we're going to dust ourselves off and make the trot to first base, and if we plunk a guy, we're going to take a deep breath, refocus and work to strike the next guy out, or get the double play.

3. With all-star voting underway, what is one name that surprises you towards the top and what is one name you feel is not getting enough love?

Well, its early in the season and All Star voting is always a little skewed depending on who's hot, I am really surprised that a kid that we drafted and then ended up moving to Thunder Bay, Armando "Scarface" Roman has played his way into the Heartland's ASG voting lead for DH's... Im not surprised because he is not talented, just that he's making such a good use of his opportunity in Thunder Bay, I'm happy for him, but I am also very happy that we made the moves we did because Jared Mann has be absolutely outstanding for us working from the DH role as well. 

As for a surprise in the opposite direction, I was really expecting to see Johnny Guaderrama in the top three for the right fielders. He's been clutch, he's been flashy, and he's gained a ton of notoriety in the media which is a perfect storm for a strong voting presence from the fan base, but there is still time for Johnny Baseball to play his way into the top rankings along with the other Tide players we have in the running. 

4. Talk about your opponent this week. What player on the opposing team do you have to worry about the most?

Early in the offseason myself and GM Gates worked together on a deal that helped both of our teams.  We brought in Johnny Frank, and as a result we had to send a player I was very high on away.  Tyler Braswell has been great for Boise this season and I know he's going to want to show us what a mistake it was to deal him away, but if we hadn't moved for Johnny we wouldn't have Ricky or even Maeda and Ochoa here right now, so we are not going to second guess our moves.  Boise has a lot of pop in their line up, especially in that 2-4 section, and while that crop of hitters makes up most of their RBI, they are just as dangerous at the bottom of the order and we'll be making sure to try and limit the damage McCoubrey and Diaz do before Altamirano, Smith, and Merco get their chances to drive in more runs.  This is goign to be a tough match up, but we have to have faith in our pitching that we can limit their hot bats, and then our hitters are going to need to capitalize on every at bat.  This won't be a series that ends 1-0, we will need to produce some offense.

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:03 PM »
"You didn't talk about Johnny Witte, any regrets about trading him away after seeing what he's been able to do on the mound so far this season?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »
Hindsight is always 20/20.  We traded two very talented pieces for a player we believed was going to be a second ace to our staff, and for Johnny Frank and us it just wasn't the right fit unfortunately. 

Does that mean I regret taking a chance to better our club?  No, because like I said, the roster we are fielding right now is one that I believe can win the Championship, so I wouldn't change a thing we did in the process to get here.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2019, 11:32:16 PM »

Coach Pearce won't be around this week.

But we have things covered. Hell of a sweep we just had.

Giving us the weapon that is Ricky Aguirre and adding him with King Felix... I like our pitching 1-2 punch against anybody else and we might have done it against the best rotation outside of ours in the PBL in Mexico City.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2019, 11:51:44 PM »
"Gentlemen, thanks for joining me.  Obviously the suspension of the Skipper is an unfortunate decision from the league office, but I'll be leaning on you to insure that it does not become a distraction for the players.

It was great to see us take it to Mexico City the way we did, we pitched a great series, and showed the resolve to win tight games against great pitching like you've noted. ..This week its a potent Boise lineup we have to handle, but I'm confident we're going to be able to take it to them and come out of this one with another series win.  If we keep winning series, the wildcard and even the division title are going to become that much more of a reality for us, so lets keep plugging away and play some good baseball."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »

Oh yeah!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2019, 10:44:39 PM »
Outstanding.  Do you have any concerns heading into this week, or are you comfortable enough for us to go ahead and lock in?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »

No concerns!

Let's do this!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »

STARTING LINE UPS

1. L - Justin York (CF)
3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Eric Thomas (1B)
7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

Starting Pitcher Rotation
1. Felix Haraculamo
2. Ricky Aguirre
3. Javy Coronado

Roll Tide!

LOCK IN

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »

WEEK 6

1. Discuss the latest series. Was it how you expected it to go?
Well that was a hard fought series win for sure and we knew it would be! We leaned on our Pitching and Hitting coaches for the first two games of the series and they did a great job keeping our guys tuned in and focused.  In game one we had another phenomenal pitchers dual between King Felix and Tyler Coggin who spun a gem out there against our potent line up.  We pitched well, but Fino had a little hiccup the ninth and they capitalized on it to get the win.  We can't keep putting our pen in situations where run support is an issue, because the way our team pitched, 8 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, and 10Ks.. That is good enough to win in this league, and we have to be able to scratch across the two extra runs needed to reward our guys with the win they deserved.  I was really pleased to see that Fino had a chance to come back and wipe away that loss with two clutch saves for us to win the series.  When you see your closer come in and give up a lead or a win, you want him back on the mound the next night to go ahead a clean things up and get that game out of his mind, and we did just that in spades.

In games two and three we showed that the strength of our team is that we can get hits and runs from anyone in the lineup, top to bottom. 7 different players crossed the plate in game 3 with 5 players getting those RBIs, and of course Ochoa and E.T. showed off their power strokes in game two.  This series had everything, and seeing our entire bullpen work through game three and weathering some runs to still get the win, that's huge because there are too many great hitters in this league to think you can win every game 1-0, you're going to give up runs, and between a cool and collected bullpen and patient smart hitting you have to be able to adapt and win games ugly sometimes.

I've seen people talking about the difference in records between the two conferences right now and despite how our standing is due to the great win/loss records in our conference I don't have any complaint with the leagues alignment.  You have to know these types of "imbalances" are fluid.  Talent shifts and managers build their teams into contenders and in one off-season you could see the dynamic shift.  The league can't be expected to sort teams by talent to balance the conferences GM's just have to do their part to make their teams better and more competitive.

3. Who are cheering for to win the College World Series?

Well its an easy choice for me.  My Alma Mater, the University of North Carolina is the 2-seed and it is well earned.  I'll be doing my part to cheer them on and catch as many games as I can.  It's always a Great Day to be a Tar Heel.

4. Talk about your opponent this week. What will you need to improve upon to take the series?

This week we face what might be our biggest test of the season.  We travel across the globe to visit the always dangerous powerhouse, the Tokyo Samurai Cats.   They have seven hitters in double digits for RBI, they have home run power top to bottom, and their staff is just as talented.  We might get creative to match up with Josh DeVoe who is still perfect on the season, but in the end what we will need to improve on is being patient at the plate.  The Tokyo starters only walked 3 players the entire series, despite throwing quite a few balls.  If we can work the count and get guys on base, we have the players to drive runs in, and if we can pitch our way through their dangerous lineup we can take control of the wild card.  This series means a lot, and I expect our boys to come prepared.

Now on another note, I know that the fans in Tokyo are excited to see Tokujiro Maeda come back for the second time this season, and that is why I plan to reach out to GM Kirk and see if he would be interested in a joint-PR venture that would allow both our teams to set up after the first game of the series and do a meet and greet for fans who stay after the game ends and possibly arrange it to where Tokyo agrees to do the same for our home fans the next time they visit Virginia Beach.  Our two franchises have great fans, and its the least we can do to try to give back some of our time to thank them for being great fans.

Alright, Thank you everyone.  Roll Tide!

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2019, 01:01:11 PM »

It's good to be back! Another huge series win, but this week it gets a little tougher on the road against the best offensive team in the league.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2019, 03:07:07 PM »
Absolutely Skip, and honestly that was what stopped me from trying to appeal your suspension last week. I didn't want to risk delaying things to this week if they eventually upheld their ruling.

We did some good things last series, and really ever since we made the deals for Aguirre and Maeda..  I have an idea for our pitching rotation this week and I want to run it by you.

Could we possibly run an Opener in game 2, starting Schultz on a 1-2 inning pitch count limit. Then bringing in Javy for the bulk of the innings, with the rest of our pen available if we need to unload it, knowing we would start Aguirre in game 3 to match up with their pitching?

If it's too wild an idea, I understand but we haven't used Schultz as much as I think he could be deployed, so I thought this could help get him some work while also limiting how many times through the heart of the order Javy had to work.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2019, 12:48:14 AM »

Interesting. I think we can give that a try and see how that works for us. 

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »

I know it could go terribly wrong, but I like to be innovative and against a team as good as Tokyo, we need to make sure we're not leaving any rounds in the chamber.

That being said, I think our lineup is balanced pretty well so I don't want to tinker with the lineup. 

Any comments for me Skip?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »

This way if we fail, it's not in a place where it may cost us a championship. If we succeed, we might have changed the game. Nothing else, boss.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2019, 09:24:54 AM »

Outstanding, I'm glad we're on the same page Skipper, I'll let you get down to BP. Would you send Schultz up to speak to me when you get down there?

Mr. Schultz, I've been tossing around some ideas with Skip, and I want to use you as our opener in game 2 of this series. Thinking of something like a couple innings worth of a pitch-count and have you shutdown the heart of the order early and reducing the workload on Javy. 

It's not a traditional approach, but we're looking to close the gap in the wildcard and hopefully the division, so I'm willing to try anything to get the edge. 

Does this sound like something you're game for?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2019, 11:33:22 PM »

Hell yeah! I'm ready to do whatever is needed for this team to win baseball games.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2019, 11:54:51 PM »

That's what i like to here!  I'm looking forward to watching you open, plus any other appearances we deploy you in for this series, we're going to take the Samurai Cats by storm.

Alright man, I'll let you get down for your pen session.  Thanks for coming to speak to me.

Sandy, I've spoken with GM Kirk and while he is wanting to help fund the joint-team meet and greet for the Tokyo fans, he's already submitted his lock-in information, so we will be funding this event in whole this year. 

I'm planning on spending $250K on the event, do you think you could make the arrangements with your counter-part in Tokyo to make sure everything goes down without any hiccups?  I'll submit the funding to the league office, I just wanted to make sure it was something we could take care of without a great deal of micro-management on my end?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2019, 12:02:37 AM »

I can take care of that as well as I took care of that cat that got stuck in that old looking tree that is outside the stadium on... uhh Tide Street and King Felix Blvd. Yeah that sounds right.   

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:02:51 AM by GM Jon »

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2019, 12:27:42 AM »

...awesome, I'm glad you were able to help that cat out Sandy.  You're a good person and a great assistant.

Tell you what, since I've got a little time on my hands, I'll write up the details and promote the event myself to make life easier on you.  I'll get our lock in finalized shortly and get this promotional piece done at the same time. Thanks Sandy!

GM TALON GOES BACK INTO HIS EMPTY OFFICE AND CLOSES THE DOOR, SHAKING HIS HEAD BEFORE SITTING DOWN AND PUTTING PEN TO PAPER.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2019, 09:00:52 PM »
MISS SHELLS TOSSES IN A FEW MORE PIECES OF GUM AND STARES BLANKLY OUT THE WINDOW.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2019, 04:06:58 PM »
STARTING LINE UPS

1. L - Justin York (CF)
3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Eric Thomas (1B)
7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

PITCHING ROTATION

GAME 1 STARTER: Felix Haraculamo
GAME 1 BULLPEN NOTES: Mike Schultz (0 PITCH LIMIT / DO NOT USE)

GAME 2 OPENER: Mike Schultz (30 pitch limit)
GAME 2 BULLPEN NOTES: Javy Coronado (bulk inning / Long Relief), Chris Bryant (30 pitch limit)

GAME 3 STARTER: Ricky Aguirre
GAME 3 BULLPEN NOTES: Chris Bryant (30 pitch limit), Mike Schultz (Remove Pitch Limit)

Roll Tide!

LOCK IN

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2019, 12:36:02 AM »

WEEK 7

1. Discuss the latest series.
That was one helluva series wasn't it?  Every game bringing a different flavor, showing off the best talent this sport has to offer, and while we didn't play our best or cleanest baseball, we came out of that series with two VERY important wins and we moved up the standings which is the biggest gain of them all.  You've got to love what we did out there, outside of the errors which was very uncharacteristic for us across the diamond.   We didn't throw our best games, we didn't show the best patience at the plate, and we didn't protect our leads late, but boy did we show the grit to win when we don't bring our best, and that is huge.  I love this squad, and I look forward to seeing us match up with Tokyo again down the line, because this is a team that you relish the chance to play, because its one of those situations where you're up against a measuring stick, and this time we showed we had what it takes.

You'll have to forgive me this week guys, the flight back from Tokyo was way long and I haven't had a chance to watch any of the news around the league.

3. With the creativity some teams have explored such as starting your ace in Game 3 and using an "opener" approach. If you've used one of those strategies, will you continue them? If you haven't, will you start? Why and why not? 

I really enjoyed seeing Schultz open for us in game two, but the inherent risk of using this strategy also showed itself when we went into extra innings.  The league isn't built to give us a massively deep bullpen, so its a "play at your own risk" type of strategy.  We might use it when match ups present themselves, but we are also just as comfortable with Javy taking the ball every third day, so I'll just say we are taking it one series at a time.

4. Talk about your opponent this week. Which one of the games is the most important to win for your team?

Noll, Alcala, and that bullpen... we're in for a tough battle, but we're going to do our best to get tuned up and ready to show that while they may be 17-4, we are one of the hottest teams in the league and we're ready to let the Tide Roll in here in front of our home crowd.

Roll-Tide!

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2019, 11:27:23 PM »

That was the statement series we needed to make. Now not only do WE know we can beat anyone anywhere, but the squad does as well. We can add a huge exclamation point with a series win against London!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2019, 12:53:16 AM »

They don't give up a lot of runs which is the real challenge, especially that bullpen, Skip.  We have to push runs across early in the game or we run into that buzzsaw of a pen. 

What do you think about our Opener plan?  Do you want to try it again this week or go back to Javy as the starter?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2019, 09:10:26 PM »

I'll leave that up to you, I think either way is a fine option in Game 2 against London.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »

Right on. I think we'll roll with Schultz again for this week and see how it goes. I know its a dice roll on how the usage goes in the first game, so I'd hate to play with fire too much and it cost us.

That being said, woof.. do we chalk those errors up to some big-game jitters? We've been decent in the field up until this week, I just don't want anyone thinking we're okay with it becoming the trend instead of the outlier.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2019, 02:24:15 PM »

I think a three error game is definitely not something we'll see from us very frequently, so I'll chalk that up to more of a fluke. If it continues to happen though, it's something we'll need to try and fix by shuffling defensive position if need be. I don't think it'll need to come to that though. 

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »

I'm glad we're on the same page, Skip.   I'll let you get down to the field, when you get down there would you mind sending Josh Mahurin up to speak with me please?

Josh, great series last week against Tokyo, you've been a rock for us in the heart of the order, and I just wanted to let you know your great play hasn't been going unnoticed. 

How are you liking the line up we've got around you so far?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »

Adding Maeda to the Killer J's only made things better. Love the guys on this team.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »

Same here Josh, Same here.  This team has quickly taken the shape of what I was hoping to build when I threw my name in the hat, and I'm ecstatic we have you right there in the middle of it all. 

Keep up the great work Capt!  I'll let you get down to BP, pass on my sentiments to the rest of the lineup, would ya?

STARTING LINE UPS

1. L - Justin York (CF)
3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Eric Thomas (1B)
7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

PITCHING ROTATION

GAME 1 BULLPEN NOTES: Mike Schultz (0 PITCH LIMIT / DO NOT USE)

GAME 2 OPENER: Mike Schultz (30 pitch limit)
GAME 2 BULLPEN NOTES: Javy Coronado (bulk inning / Long Relief), Chris Bryant (30 pitch limit)

GAME 3 BULLPEN NOTES: Chris Bryant (20 pitch limit), Mike Schultz (Remove Pitch Limit)

Roll Tide!

LOCK IN

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »

WEEK 8

Well, we book ended this series with a pair of dominant pitching performances that we had to have because we were up against some phenomenal hurlers from London.  I mean, any time a starter comes into week 8 with a 1.80 ERA, you know you're dealing with greatness, but we showed that our lineup has the HEART to come out and play smart effective baseball against anyone in the league.  Josh's home run off of Noll in the first inning set the tone for the entire series, and really proved to be a catalyst for a strong weekend of baseball for our guys. 

In game three we rode another great performance from Ricky Aguirre who just continues to show why we had to deal for him when he was made available earlier this year.  He gave us 7 innings of All-Star baseball and then we pieced together a bullpen effort from Javy and Fino to close it out.. Beautiful work all around.  Johnny Baseball was clutch all series showing why I like to call him Johnny Batfilp, and York just continues to be an amazing tone setter at the top of our lineup.. 

Now lets talk about game two.   First and foremost, I have to tip my cap to my guy Mike Schultz.  He starts the year as the primary setup man, then we ask him to work as an "opener" and what does he do?  On a day were we hoped to get 30 pitches out of him to get through the heart of the order early in the game, he does us one better.  He works his magic and retires the entire lineup and rolls it over into the 4th inning where he takes care of the lead off man and really gave us the opportunity to win that game.  A 2-0 lead after 4 innings is something we typically feel we can win, but another rough day of fielding cost us BIG.  Three Errors are hard to overcome, especially when we used one of our best arms out of the pen to start the game.  That's the risk we take running an Opener, and it is going to make us reevaluate how we use our staff going forward.  The league's current structure and roster limitations just makes it hard to use this strategy, but I have to say again, Mike Schultz executed his end of this role phenomenally.

Well the biggest thing for me is that the trade deadline is coming. We've got a few irons in the fire to help us without taking away from our starting lineups, but with the moves we made for Aguirre and Maeda earlier, we pretty much used most of our trade leverage when we needed to, so don't expect us to be changing things too much from here on out.

3. Will you be a buyer, seller or stay put as trade deadline approaches?

...Well, like I said, we were major buyers early in the year and while we won't be ignoring the trade discussions that are out there, we won't be looking to sacrifice a big piece of our team for short term help.  We're looking to add a piece here or there so I think that classifies us as a buyer, but expect us to be value-shopping.

4. Talk about your upcoming series.

Its another long flight for us this week, we take the trip coast to coast to play against the Devil Dogs of San Diego.  They have some familiar faces we'll be sure to chat with during warm ups as post game, I'm happy to see Weig and Cook getting some solid ABs for San Diego, but this week we'll be looking to come out of this series with nothing but Wins.  We need to close the gap on London and if not them, then Tokyo for the wildcard, we have been playing from behind all year, but everyone in our clubhouse knows that we are the team to beat in the Coastal right now, so we have to play like it, and be ready to take on all comers. 

...Speaking of San Diego, I just got word on my phone that GM Gooch has left San Diego to head to the Far East and Tokyo? 

Talk about timing, that's going to make San Diego unpredictable, so we're going to need to be ready for anything and everything.  Its All Hands on Deck!

ROLL TIDE!

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2019, 07:56:32 PM »

ROLL TIDE! And we’re rolling! The sweep would’ve been nice, but as long as we keep winning series after series, we’ll be just fine.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2019, 08:24:15 PM »

I agree Skip, but that sweep was definitely ours for the taking.  I just hate seeing us lose a game we had won, but we can't dwell on it.  That's why I'm not going to push the panic button in the pen either.  I trust that more times than not Fino is going to Finish the game for us with a save, so I'm more interested in adding support to the late-middle innings over looking for an upgrade over Fino.   

I kicked the tires with the closer in San Diego, but the price tag was too high, but I think I have a deal for some reinforcements to the pen in the works.  ...Outside of that, I think we give Javy the ball to start game 2 this week, San Diego's rotation isn't as big a threat as the others we've faced recently, so I think we go more traditional, but I'd like to hear your take.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2019, 10:44:48 AM »

I think that’s probably best. Schultz has been lights out in that opener role, but it’s also nice having him as on option late in the game. I think Javy can hold his own.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2019, 08:08:53 PM »

I agree.  Now, being new to the PBL I have a question that you may or may not have the answer to.. 

is it possible to stretch a reliever out over a season or off-season and condition him to try his arm as a starting pitcher, or are guys that are relievers basically already moved to the pen after college/high school because we know they aren't cut out to be starters?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2019, 01:20:13 AM »

Some players begin their development in the bullpen before transitioning to a starter role. As for traditional bullpen arms becoming starters, it's possible, but it will take some training over an offseason or two to get their arm strong enough.   

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2019, 01:24:51 AM »

Thats the feedback I was looking for Skip, thanks!

Alright, I'm not going to talk just for the sake of talking, and our boys are pretty locked in.  I'd like to see a little more emphasis put on our infield's fielding work this week if at all possible, but outside of that, keep things rolling however you see fit, we're on the right track.

I'm just waiting on another GM to get back to me on a deal we have at the 5 yard line, and its one that might see us pushing one of our middle relievers to the reserve roster and bringing in another arm. 

Who do you prefer in the pen right now, Bryant or Warrington?  I see Bryant's throwing more strikes and while I see Warrington as our long term pitcher of the two, I don't know if moving him to the reserves would hurt him and his development or help.  What do you think?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2019, 12:30:46 AM »

I think Bryant is the better arm out of the pen right now, Warrington moving to reserves is probably best for him really. Love the move in getting Capra, that is a big boost to the pen! 

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2019, 12:36:19 AM »

Exactly what I wanted to do Skip, add an arm to the pen without losing a current contributor.  So here we go, I'm ready to lock it in if you are.  Looking at starting Capra in middle relief for now to not disrupt what we have with Schultz and Fino at the moment, but I like that we have the flexibility to make it work if we need to make a change, hopefully coming back to Virginia is a boost for Capra as well. 

Alright Skip, lets go out there and keep this Tide Rolling!

STARTING LINE UPS

1. L - Justin York (CF)
3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Eric Thomas (1B)
7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

Edwin Cortes to Bench 1B

PITCHING ROTATION

GAME 2 STARTER: Javy Coronado

BULLPEN

LR - Chris Bryant
MR - Curt Capra
SU - Mike Schultz
CL - Edgar Fino

Roll Tide!

LOCK IN

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2019, 01:10:39 AM »

WEEK NINE

A series win that we had to have, but we really had our eyes on a sweep.  Dropping that last game was tough, we used up all of our offense in game 2 it would seem and guys showed a little fatigue after a long first half of the season.  We played fantastic baseball in all three games, we drew a ton of walks, and capitalized on them.  Seeing Sewell hit that grand slam was a highlight, as was another great outing from all of our starters.  It was a good week, and it keeps us right there in the hunt for the division and in that three way tie for the Wild Card.

2. Talk about at least two pieces of news.
Seeing the Dust up... no pun intended, between Hammond and Cruz was interesting.  First of all, if Ricky Cruz was using a corked bat like the Mexico City bench was saying, the umpires should have made the appropriate moves and ejected Cruz.  Since they didn't we saw some of Baseball's old unwritten rules resurface and it appears that Hammond policed the game himself.  I wasn't there, I don't know the details or the intent, but clearly Cruz and Hammond had words after the HBP, and once fists are thrown you have to expect suspensions, period.  We had to deal with it against Brooklyn, and now we're seeing the same here.  I'm not saying I condone Hammond's actions if he was intentionally throwing at Cruz, but I also stand by the statement that if a player IS cheating, whether that is with PEDs or with a Corked bat, or pine tar, or anything else against the rules, the umpires need to police it, or else more of this is going to happen.

Now, lets talk about something more fun.. A big congratulations to our very own All Star, Lead off man, and defensive wizard Justin York.  Winning Rookie of the Month is well deserved, Justin's been great for us leading off, on the base paths, and he's robbed some hitters of hits, runs, and RBI's with his glove and legs in center field.  .370 and 13 runs scored this month? He's doing his part to set the table for us, and he did it again in the All-Star game as well, which was a treat to witness.

3. Who do you think got an All-Star game snub?
Let me start by saying this, in an All-Star game where the fans get to voice their opinions and influence who plays in the All Star game, there are no snubs, because the fans make the stars, and not the other way around.  I would've loved to have seen Josh Mahurin get into the game and really would've loved to have seen Johnny Baseball get some good hacks in the HR Derby, but we were well represented top to bottom and not only did we get into the game we performed at every level.  York and Maeda did great things at the dish, a pair of doubles, a walk, seeing York score the first run of the game was a great feeling because the kid deserves it. Then for Ricky to get the call in the toughest of situations, bases loaded, and what does he do?  1-2-3, and just like our team has been doing all year, taking inherited runners and turning them into 0's.  King Felix and Schultzy were clean as well, and in the end, the All Star Weekend was a GREAT showcase for what Virginia Beach Baseball is all about.

4. What was your favorite part of All-Star weekend?
Usually my answer here is the Home Run Derby, but Ricky Cruz had a very controversial week coming into the All Star break, and the fact that he was still allowed to compete in the Derby was something I wasn't a fan of.  So for that reason, and the fact that we had a blast winning the game and showing up in every way possible, I've got to say the All Star game itself was a huge highlight, but my favorite part?  Getting to see our guys interact with a new fanbase.  Fans of ours from out of state that might not get to make it to a home series.  Seeing kids who look up to guys like Maeda, Felix, or Aguirre..  Seeing your players having a blast, representing your club as some of the best in the league, and getting to show what makes our game so special, you've got to smile at that and realize that this is what its all about.

5. How would you grade yourself at the midseason point?
Its rare that I cop out of an answer, so I'll give it straight.  I feel like the teams success is a result of the players and our Skipper managing the team.  I made some moves to bring guys I thought would help us reach our goals, so far we're improving every week, and that's something I'm proud of.  I'll give myself a B+ right now. I think we won the Maeda deal, the Aguirre deal, and the Capra deal, but we definitely gave up a lot to bring in Johnny Franks pre-season, and that didn't go as planned, and we're not in first place right now, so we can't call this start perfect by any stretch, but I see us continuing onward and upward, so hopefully when we circle back around to this question at the end of the season, I'm able to set down our Championship trophy and give myself a slightly better grade.

6. Who is your midseason MVP?
League-wide? Its hard to say. We've got a star studded league and from Bruce Noll's amazing start to the season to Ricky Cruz's tainted yet eye popping numbers you've got a ton to choose from... look at Patino over in Jacksonville. We're gearing up to try to find a way to get him out, but his .408 average, those 11 HRs, and 20 RBI.. that's MVP caliber stuff right in the heart of the order.  Don't sleep on our roster, we've got a handful of bats and arms who are capable of improving on their first half numbers and making that push to be recognized as the Premier Player in all of Baseball.

7. Talk about your Week 10 opponent.
Jacksonville is coming in on a 4 game win streak, feeling good after that sweep last week over NoLa, and now they've got their eyes on cutting into our lead over them in the standings.  We have to be ready for that and bring our best approach at the plate.  We need to get to their starters if we can, because they've shown that the combination of Banaszak and Gomez can really shorten a game.  We've done well lately getting on the board early, and that is going to be as important as ever this week.  GM Eli has a dangerous squad, and we have to show them that we're more than ready to handle this challenge.  The best teams win when the pressure is on, and with a chance to catch or pass London in the standings or fall behind and risk being passed by Jacksonville, this is as high-pressure a series as you can have at mid-season. I'm confident we're going to come out and play our game and hopefully put a few balls into the Atlantic in the process, The Tide is Rising, and we're looking to ride that TIDAL WAVE and make it a TITLE WAVE.

ROLL TIDE!

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »

We couldn't buy a hit in that third game, but we looked impressive this series nonetheless. I really like what we have as a unit right now.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »

We've all been in games where you just can't get it going, you hate to see it but wow what a series.  We really flexed on our cross-country rivals.   It was a great first half of the season, and I think we're setting ourselves up for a big second half.  I loved what I saw out of Capra, so it's encouraging going forward.

The All Star Break and come and gone and I don't see any real needs for us before the trade deadline.  I won't keep you Skip, I'm going to call in our All-Stars just to congratulate them on a great showing, and then I have a meeting with Mr. Crimson, but after that I think we're ready to lock in, unless you have any concerns?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2019, 12:13:40 AM »

No concerns from me boss.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »

Alright Skip, I'll let you go.  Will you send Felix, Aguirre, Schultz, Maeda, and York up to my office when you get down to the practice field?

Gentlemen, I won't keep you long, I just wanted to thank and congratulate each one of you personally for the way you represented yourselves, your teammates, and the entire organization here in Virginia Beach at the All Star Game.

If you heard me during my presser, you know I've been beaming over how great you all played when you had your chances to shine, but I just wanted to tell you guys face to face how proud I am to call you all a part of the Virginia Beach Tide.

Lets go show Jacksonville what we're all about.  Thanks again gentlemen.

GM TALON SHAKES EACH MAN'S HAND BEFORE ALLOWING THEM TO HEAD BACK TO PRACTICE.  HE THEN ROLLS DOWN THE SLEEVES OF HIS BUTTON DOWN SHIRT AND WALKS TO MR. CRIMSON'S OFFICE, KNOCKING ON THE DOOR AND AWAITING HIS SIT DOWN WITH THE BIG BOSS.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »

Before I get to where we stand on our goals... we owners talk. And the scuttlebutt is that I have the finest captain leading this crew on these seas! Great work shipmate! Trades for Maeda, Aguirre, Ochoa, Capra are trades that have made us the team to beat. We are on pace to acheive all of our goals I set forth before we sailed off into the season. I do want to beat Brooklyn and at least even up the seasons series though when they visit us. You've made me proud, this city proud, and now it's time to bring the Tide a championship!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2019, 11:29:36 AM »

Aye Aye Sir and Hooyah! Thank you for your support. We'll be all hands on deck as we make our push to claim the Premier Cup to Virginia Beach!

I'm looking forward to a very successful second half.  Anchors Aweigh!

STARTING LINE UPS

1. L - Justin York (CF)
3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Eric Thomas (1B)
7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

PITCHING ROTATION

GAME 2 STARTER: Javy Coronado

BULLPEN

LR - Chris Bryant
MR - Curt Capra
SU - Mike Schultz
CL - Edgar Fino

Roll Tide!
Non sui ipsius, sed dolor!

LOCK IN

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »

WEEK TEN

1. Discuss the latest series. What went right, what went wrong?

Wow!  What a finish, what a series for our guys! We came out of the gates roaring this weekend, that first game was a brilliant display of team-wide baseball.  We hit well, we worked the count brilliantly, and we pitched an amazing game!  Our starters this series yielded a combined 3 earned runs, and our pen only gave up one more on top of that... I can't really say anything went wrong.  This was our most complete series of the season. 

Seeing Capra come out and K 6 straight batters in game one to finish it out behind King Felix, Javy gave us 7 shutout innings, Shultz and Fino were brilliant in game 3.. we just all around saw amazing work on the diamond. 

I was impressed that we were able to limit Sal Patino to only one hit all weekend, and to not let him score when he hit that leadoff triple.. we showed that we can handle clutch players and pitch against anyone in the league.  This was a statement series, and we're showing that we are the hottest team in the league right now. Now we have to keep our focus and get ready for our next challenge.

2. What are your thoughts on the Ricky Cruz trade?

I'm shocked.  As a general manager, I could never see myself making a move where I traded members of my team to acquire a player who had just been involved in a fight with my team, spawning from allegations of cheating.  I don't know all the details obviously, but I feel that from my own personal perspective, I couldn't make that deal because I pride myself on the Chemistry we're building here in Virginia Beach.

3. Talk abut at least one other piece of news.

We had a very eventful weekend.  Our second sweep of the season, our 8th series win, but seeing Eric Thomas catch fire and slug his way to Conference player of the week, and getting to sit there first hand to see Chris Cosner hit that amazing Grand Slam.. 

...man, sorry, but every time I mention it I can't help but see it replay in my mind.  That was a thing of beauty.  Knowing Chris' dad was in the crowd, getting to see his reaction on the Tide-Tron as he watched Chris run the bases... it was just a moment that you won't ever forget, and I'm proud to have that moment go down in front of our home crowd.

4. Talk about your Week 11 opponent.

We're headed to Omaha for a short road trip this weekend.  The Explorers have shown flashes and are a team that you can't sleep on.  Wolfe is a dangerous hitter and we have to execute each and every pitch, each and every at bat, and we have to keep doing what we do best. Working the count, manufacturing runs, and pitching well.  Our Pen is looking great, our rotation is looking great, and I'd take us over anyone who you put in front of us right now. 

ROLL TIDE!

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2019, 12:41:18 PM »

It was about dang time we got the brooms out! What an impressive series and a statement to everyone in the league. We are the team to beat!