Author Topic: TEAM: VIRGINIA BEACH TIDE  (Read 1440 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: VIRGINIA BEACH TIDE
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »

I am hoping to reach out to GM Kirk to arrange a joint-promotion event prior to our series with Tokyo.  I feel that it would be worth while for both our organizations to put baseball rivalries aside to celebrate our diverse sport and the excellent ambassadors to the game that we have on both sides of the globe.

Good luck out there this weekend Maeda Sama, I'm looking forward to seeing how well we play with your talents injected into the lineup!

STARTING LINE UPS (Game 1-3, depending on starter)

vs. RHP
1. L - Justin York (CF)
2. R - Tokujiro Maeda (SS)

3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Eric Thomas (1B)
6. L - Jonathan Guaderrama (RF)
7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

vs. LHP
1. L - Justin York (CF)

3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Jonathan Guaderrama (RF)
6. L - Eric Thomas (1B)

7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

Starting Pitcher Rotation
1. Felix Haraculamo
2. Ricky Aguirre
3. Javy Coronado
GM Kirk [21|May 12:29 AM]:   When trade fever hits, math is the first casualty.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »

WEEK 5

1. Discuss the latest series. What was one thing you loved and one thing you hated?

There was a lot to love this week, getting our first series sweep was amazing.  Beating a good friend but fierce competitive rival in GM Pancho made it even sweeter, and to see our starting pitchers come out and give us a combined 18.1 innings and only allowing 1 run in the process?  That is phenomenal and exactly what we had in mind when we made the moves that brought Ricky Aguirre in to solidify our rotation.  King Felix was lights out with what I would say was his best start of the season, and Javy again came through as a great anchor in game three.  The pen was excellent with everyone contributing to the cause, and one major thing we have done this season which isn't a big "media" stat but it is a big one for me, we've had 17 situations where a reliever came in with runners on base, and only 3 times this entire season have our relievers allowed any of those 17 men to touch home plate.  That is the definition of having your teammates back.  We are confident handing the ball to the next guy in the pen because we know when it matters most, they are going to shut the door whether its on a rally, an inning, or for the save. 

Now if I have to nitpick something I wasn't happy with this series was our 10:25 BB:K ratio.  We weren't disciplined at the plate, and while our pitching bailed us out of any trouble it could have caused, we have to clean that up and make sure to make each at bat count.  We have to put the ball in play.  We've got three guys who have been doing that consistantly this season in York, Maeda, and Johnny Baseball and I think all three guys can be great positive influences to make sure the rest of the roster works the count and tries to put the ball in play each and every A.B.

2. Talk about at least one piece of news.   

Obviously our biggest concern from the news this week is the fallout from the Brooklyn series.  It is unfortunate that the league office has suspended David Pearce, and I am going to talk to skip to see how he feels about us appealing the ruling, but if he ends up serving his suspension this series, I have faith that Tom Owen and Taylor Ehrenfeld are going to do a great job keeping the bats and arms ready to go and make the right calls when it comes to game day.

I hate to see Javy get fined, but I am definitely thankful he is not being suspended.  We've had some control-slips this year when it comes to HBP's, we are a very aggressive pitching staff, we like to power the ball inside to set up our secondary pitches, and sometimes when a guy crowds the plate that ball inside gets a little too far in and makes contact.  We've accidentally plunked 8 batters this season, 4 of which belonged to Johnny Frank, but I am not going to ask my pitchers to shy away from an inside pitch, it is who we are as a staff, and none of our guys are complaining about the 5 HBP's we've suffered on our end, its part of the game and unless there is clearly bad intentions behind a throw, we're going to dust ourselves off and make the trot to first base, and if we plunk a guy, we're going to take a deep breath, refocus and work to strike the next guy out, or get the double play.

3. With all-star voting underway, what is one name that surprises you towards the top and what is one name you feel is not getting enough love?

Well, its early in the season and All Star voting is always a little skewed depending on who's hot, I am really surprised that a kid that we drafted and then ended up moving to Thunder Bay, Armando "Scarface" Roman has played his way into the Heartland's ASG voting lead for DH's... Im not surprised because he is not talented, just that he's making such a good use of his opportunity in Thunder Bay, I'm happy for him, but I am also very happy that we made the moves we did because Jared Mann has be absolutely outstanding for us working from the DH role as well. 

As for a surprise in the opposite direction, I was really expecting to see Johnny Guaderrama in the top three for the right fielders. He's been clutch, he's been flashy, and he's gained a ton of notoriety in the media which is a perfect storm for a strong voting presence from the fan base, but there is still time for Johnny Baseball to play his way into the top rankings along with the other Tide players we have in the running. 

4. Talk about your opponent this week. What player on the opposing team do you have to worry about the most?

Early in the offseason myself and GM Gates worked together on a deal that helped both of our teams.  We brought in Johnny Frank, and as a result we had to send a player I was very high on away.  Tyler Braswell has been great for Boise this season and I know he's going to want to show us what a mistake it was to deal him away, but if we hadn't moved for Johnny we wouldn't have Ricky or even Maeda and Ochoa here right now, so we are not going to second guess our moves.  Boise has a lot of pop in their line up, especially in that 2-4 section, and while that crop of hitters makes up most of their RBI, they are just as dangerous at the bottom of the order and we'll be making sure to try and limit the damage McCoubrey and Diaz do before Altamirano, Smith, and Merco get their chances to drive in more runs.  This is goign to be a tough match up, but we have to have faith in our pitching that we can limit their hot bats, and then our hitters are going to need to capitalize on every at bat.  This won't be a series that ends 1-0, we will need to produce some offense.

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:03 PM »
"You didn't talk about Johnny Witte, any regrets about trading him away after seeing what he's been able to do on the mound so far this season?"

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »
Hindsight is always 20/20.  We traded two very talented pieces for a player we believed was going to be a second ace to our staff, and for Johnny Frank and us it just wasn't the right fit unfortunately. 

Does that mean I regret taking a chance to better our club?  No, because like I said, the roster we are fielding right now is one that I believe can win the Championship, so I wouldn't change a thing we did in the process to get here.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2019, 11:32:16 PM »

Coach Pearce won't be around this week.

But we have things covered. Hell of a sweep we just had.

Giving us the weapon that is Ricky Aguirre and adding him with King Felix... I like our pitching 1-2 punch against anybody else and we might have done it against the best rotation outside of ours in the PBL in Mexico City.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2019, 11:51:44 PM »
"Gentlemen, thanks for joining me.  Obviously the suspension of the Skipper is an unfortunate decision from the league office, but I'll be leaning on you to insure that it does not become a distraction for the players.

It was great to see us take it to Mexico City the way we did, we pitched a great series, and showed the resolve to win tight games against great pitching like you've noted. ..This week its a potent Boise lineup we have to handle, but I'm confident we're going to be able to take it to them and come out of this one with another series win.  If we keep winning series, the wildcard and even the division title are going to become that much more of a reality for us, so lets keep plugging away and play some good baseball."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »

Oh yeah!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2019, 10:44:39 PM »
Outstanding.  Do you have any concerns heading into this week, or are you comfortable enough for us to go ahead and lock in?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »

No concerns!

Let's do this!

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50019
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »

STARTING LINE UPS

1. L - Justin York (CF)
3. R - Josh Mahurin (3B)
4. L - Jared Mann (DH)
5. L - Eric Thomas (1B)
6. L - Jonathan Guaderrama (RF)
7. L - Luis Ochoa (LF)
8. L - Mike Sewell (2B)
9. R - Chris Walsh (C)

Starting Pitcher Rotation
1. Felix Haraculamo
2. Ricky Aguirre
3. Javy Coronado

Roll Tide!

LOCK IN