Author Topic: TEAM: LONDON GRIFFINS  (Read 457 times)

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
TEAM: LONDON GRIFFINS
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »

Team Information
City: London, England, UK
Conference: Coastal
Division: Atlantic
Team Owner: Gary Potter III
Team Secretary: Hermione Stranger

Official Colors:

Wine Berry (#631852)
Alabaster (#F9F9F9)

Season Results:
2013: 24-30 [2nd Place in Atlantic Division]
2014: 30-24 [2nd Place in Atlantic Division]
2015: 30-24 [2nd Place in Atlantic Division]
2016: 21-33 [4th Place in Atlantic Division]
2017: 17-37 [4th Place in Atlantic Division]

Playoff Appearances:
2014: Division Series
2015: Division Series

RETIRED NUMBERS:
None

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:01:49 PM by GM Jon »

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: LONDON GRIFFINS
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, I wish to show you all a magic trick. I call this one pulling the wool over your bloody eyes. We have made the best hire out there and brought in an Englishman that will lead London to the top. Abracadabra... I present you... GM Dazz!!!!   

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »

Wingardium Leviosa! Your stats and roster are floating to you.   

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »

I had to use some dark arts, but alas, sir, it is here.   

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
Thank you Hermione. It's just a shame you couldn't use those dark arts to get us some better infielders. Could I speak to Coach Schneck please?
-------

Coach, I'm very pleased to be managing a team in my home country... but I have some concerns about the roster. I've already decided to cut some of the deadwood and I hope that shows how I'm going to approach things here. I will not accept passengers and I'm only interested in lads who are going to produce. With this in mind, what do you make of the roster... including the reserves? What do you think of the coaching team you're working with?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »

Hey there fella. Well we have a good... no... great staff here! As for the roster, well, we're an old soul aren't we? Got some good... no... great young players! I think... no... I know we can make some noise this season! Especially if we bring in some of the good talent you scouted.   

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
That's good to hear. I didn't want to have to make sweeping changes in year 1 of my time here. I can see a few areas I'd like to strengthen already and I agree with you about the scouted players. Is there a particular area on the team where we need improvement? Do you think we have anywhere that's particularly strong?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »

I like our pitching staff, it's solid top to bottom. We could use improvement at first base and in the outfield. But nothing too dire.     

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »
I'm going to talk to Coach McNamee about the hitting but I'd like to know more about the other sides of our batters. How do they look defensively and who are our quickest players?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 07:24:43 PM »

Sammons and Lay are really good defensively up the middle. Our outfield if pretty average, Bohne is probably best as a DH because he can be a liability out there. As for speed, Sammons, Turk, McCullough, and Bohne are all guys that have good speed.   

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 03:19:31 AM »
Sammons and Lay are both listed as SS so is there one you'd prefer at 2B?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »

Sammons for sure. He's played there for us before when we needed and has won a Great Glove at both 2B and SS. 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
That definitely answers that then. Thank you. I'll let you get prepping for pre-season. Hopefully I'll find you some extra tools to work with.
----

Hermione, could I speak to Coach McNamee please?
-----

I know a few other teams have been changing their coaching staff but I want to assure you that's not happening here this season. With that out of the way, I'd like to talk about the batting lineup. If we divide the roster into power hitters, contact hitters and lower order, if you'll excuse the cricket term, how would you break the roster down?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 01:13:00 AM »

Lay, Turk, Sammons are our top three contact hitters. Lay, Alcala, Bohne are our top three power guys. McCullough, Tse, and Herberg should be our bottom of the lineup guys. Does that answer your question?   

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 03:07:05 AM »
That answers it perfectly, thank you. We'll talk more in depth about the batting order once the roster is finalised but I already have a good idea of what it's going to look like. Just one more question before I let you go, do we have anyone who particularly excels or struggles against left handed pitchers?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 03:38:49 AM »

Not really... our good hitters are decent or good at hitting both ways. Turk is the one player who takes a decent dip against lefties compared to righties. The not so good hitters pretty much struggle no matter what arm is throwing them the ball.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 01:28:05 PM »
Thank you Coach. We'll speak again once free agency is done and our roster is finalised.
------

Hermione, could you ask Coach Mayers to come up to see me please?
------

Coach, it's good to meet you. To be fully honest, I basically called you up here so we could meet face to face. The pitching lineup looks pretty solid to me and rotation seems set too. I'm likely to spend the little money we have left on improving our fielding and batting unless you think there's a pressing need to bring a new pitcher in.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »

Good to meet you boss. I like what we have in our staff and I think Schuber will be a good replacement if Noll calls it career after this season. 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »
Schuber's rating at the moment doesn't reflect that but I know there's more to it than letter grades. I'll be keeping a close eye on his development. I won't take up anymore of your time. Thank you, Coach.
--------

Hermione, while we wait to hear from the various agents could I speak to Josh Johnson please?
---------

Mr Johnson, good to finally meet you face to face. I'm looking at the roster report and I see that we made one of our rookies the highest paid player on the team and have him on a 4 year deal. He's on a better deal than Lay, Gutierrez and Sammons who are all highly rated players. I'm expecting him to be a star from day 1 at that price. In your opinion, will he live up to those expectations and can he take the pressure? He's basically going to have to be one of the faces of this franchise and that's a lot to ask from a teenager.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »

I know you asked for Josh, but I can answer that. He seemed tired from his scouting season and I sent him home early. Yeah, we think Turk is going to be a big time player and we think hes a ready now player. He still has some growing up to do, but hes ready to tackle the growing pains of being a young face of a franchise. 

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 04:53:27 PM »
Thank you for that information. While I have you here I wanted to discuss the batting order. My proposed order would be:

1 Sammons
2 Turk
3 Lay
4 Bohne
5 Alcala
6 Hernandez
7 Judd
8 McCullough
9 Gutierrez

My main reservation is playing Gutierrez at 9 but I'd like him to set up the openers again. Is there anyone you think is in the wrong place there?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »

I would bat Judd or Herberg, whoever you decide to start at catcher at the 8 spot. Then I'd bat Gutirrez at 7 and McCullough and his speed at 9. Otherwise, I think you nailed it.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 03:41:12 AM »
Judd's stats last year stand up pretty well with the rest of the team so I'm inclined to use him, unless you're going to tell me he's a terrible catcher. I'll make the adjustments you've suggested though. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to try and find a replacement for Art Delo.
------

Hermione, could you work your magic and get me in contact with Dana Boras please?
------

Mr Boras, it's GM Dazz from the Griffins. I'd like to talk to you about your client OF Jaden Harris. I'd like to offer him the chance to play baseball in London for 2 years for $1m per year. I'll be honest, it's basically a paid audition but if we like him I'll discuss a new deal with you before the second year is up.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 08:29:30 PM »

Jaden is interested for sure. We'll take that deal for one year. If you want him for 2 years, it'll need to be a $2MM deal.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
The single year works better for me so I'll get that confirmed and we'll speak again before the end of the season.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »

Sounds like a plan.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »

TEAM CAPTAINS
1. SP Bruce Noll
2. 3B Josh Gutierrez
3. OF Billy Bohne

MASTER DEPTH CHART

Catcher- John Judd
1B- Lazaro Hernandez
2B- Danny Sammons
3B- Josh Gutierrez
SS- Andy Lay
LF-Montel McCullough
CF-Bubba Turk
RF-David Alcala
BENCH-OF Billy Bohne
BENCH-C Koby Herberg
BENCH-2B Hugo Ayala
BENCH-1B Guo-Liang Tse
BENCH-OF Jaden Harris

SP1- Bruce Noll
SP2- Waleed bin Wajih
SP3- Nick Hudson
SET-UP- Omar Santiago
CLOSER- Edwin Alvarado
BENCH- RP Jose Gonzalez
BENCH- RP Ryan Richter

PROBABLE BATTING LINE-UP & PITCHING ROTATION 

vs. RHP
1. Sammons
2. Turk
3. Lay
4. Bohne
5. Alcala
6. Hernandez
7. Gutierrez
8. Judd
9. McCullough

vs. LHP
As above

Starting Pitcher Rotation
1. Bruce Noll
2. Waleed bin Wajih
3. Nick Hudson

TRAINING GM's MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK
(Up to 6 Players)
(Hitter Trainable Traits: Approach, Power, Patience, Baserunning, Fielding)
(Pitcher Trainable Traits: Stamina, Stuff, Movement, Control, Specific Pitch [Fastball, Curveball, Changeup, etc], Fielding)
Bubba Turk - Approach
Lazaro Hernandez - Patience
Jason Schuber - Control
Koby Herberg - Fielding
Armando Franco - Stuff
Montel McCullough - Fielding

PROMOTIONAL CALENDAR 

(Jacksonville) (This is London)
Every fan will get a London Griffins scarf and the stand behind home plate will have coloured squares on each seat to be held up at the start of the game that will read "This is London" in Griffins colours.

(Chicago) (Bubba Turk Bobblehead Night)
The first 2000 fans in the stadium receive a free Bubba Turk bobblehead and everyone in the stadium is entered into a draw to be able to meet Turk after the game. There will be 5 seats selected as winners

(Tokyo) (East Meets West End)
The food stands will serve sushi alongside classic fish and chips. First 10k fans get a free Tokyo/London half and half scarf with more on sale at the club shop. The national anthems will be sung by a well known Japanese West End musical performer.

(Golden State) (The Magic Diamond)
Up close and street magicians will entertain fans in the concourse and in their seats during breaks in the game. During the 7th inning stretch the singalong (seriously, how is that a thing?) will be replaced by a well known London based magician performing a grand illusion on the field.

(Idianapolis) (Indy Night)
First 10k fans get an Indy 500 inspired Griffins cap, first pitch is thrown by British Indycar driver Pippa Mann and the anthems are played by Arctic Monkeys

(Thunder Bay) (Thunderstick Night)
Thundersticks to be placed at each seat in the stadium to be used to distract the opponent or support our lads

(Austin) (London Pride Night)
As the Griffins are clearly the Pride of London, the franchise will team up with Fullers (a London brewer) to showcase the locally brewed London Pride. This will be sold at half price and a special steak and London Pride ale pie will be sold at all concessions.

(Brooklyn) (I <3 LG)
1000 fans will receive a cap in the style of the well known I <3 NY merchandise but branded for the London Griffins. Other similarly styled I  <3 LG merchandise will be sold at the club shop.

(Virginia Beach) (Changing of the Guard)
As this is the last home regular season game it will be marked with the pomp and ceremony only seen in the UK. Detachments of the Grenadier Guards will be invited to perform a mock Changing of the Guard in the outfield before the game and the band of the Grenadier Guard will play the national anthems. The soldiers will then be given seats in the stand behind home plate for the duration of the game. The band will play the music usually played by the pipe organ at baseball stadiums.

WALK-UP MUSIC

1. (Billy Bohne) - (Bad to the Bone), (George Thorogood) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FyQNx8oyU)

2. (Bubba Turk) - (Money), (Pink Floyd) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds)

3. (Bruce Noll) - (God of Thunder), (Kiss) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHZ9vrcgxA)

4.  (Andy Lay) - (London Calling), (The Clash) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK-WX2pa8c)

5. (Edwin Alvarado) - (Cat People), (David Bowie) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpdHMaccjw4)

6. (Danny Sammons) - (Danny Boy), (The Pogues) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnfmagQoYrA)
Lyrics will show on the big screens so the fans can sing Danny on.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 01:23:47 PM »

Accio team sheet!   

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 11:02:20 AM »
TRAINING CAMP

THE FLOOR IS OPEN FOR YOUR OPENING STATEMENTS

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 03:07:21 AM »
Good day ladies and gents of the press. Welcome to London and the new era of PBL. It's not an exaggeration to say managing a team in my home country is a dream come true. This is a great city and it deserves a great franchise. The owner, Mr Potter, and I share that vision and I'm grateful to him for giving me this opportunity to create a team this country can be proud of and, at the same time, raise the profile of this sport here in Europe. People who know my history will know it's filled with success and I fully intend to continue that trend here. However, I want the fans and media to remain realistic. We can't change things overnight so don't expect championships at the start. What we have here is a team of great young players and some veterans to help guide them and that is the foundation on which future champions are built. Turk, Lay and Sammons are all young guys with great ability and true superstars in the making. We have a lot to be excited about here in London.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »

What's your number one personal goal you hope to achieve in season one?