Author Topic: TEAM: TOKYO SAMURAI CATS  (Read 1189 times)

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: TOKYO SAMURAI CATS
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2019, 11:24:12 AM »

That was a satisfying series. Our pitching looked on point and our bats were doing some damage.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2019, 08:47:41 PM »
I liked what I saw. Do you feel any need to shuffle things around, or are you happy with the way things are set? Obviously everything was firing in game 3, but maybe a tweak or two could give us a pop in those tight battles?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »

Unless you feel the need to make a tweak, I'm fine with the way things are currently set-up.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2019, 11:32:41 PM »
I'm in and out of hospitals at the moment, so I won't tweak anything this week. Let the lads know I'll speak to some of them after this series.

No Changes.

Lock in

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2019, 09:42:43 PM »
WEEK TWO

1. Talk about the last series. What was the highlight of the weekend for you?

I guess that puts an end to those rumours about Cruz. I couldn't be happier for the team and the fans after we managed to sweep our first home series of the season. We had some highlights in each game to get the fans excited.. well, even more excited than they normally are. Rodriguez's HR in the first game, 14 hits in the second game with two HRs and DeVoe's commanding pitching in game 3. DeVoe has made a big step up this season and the kid looks like he's taken it in his stride so far. Overall, a very pleasing series and start to the season.

2. Talk about the incoming draft class, do you feel it's too early for players to have to choose this soon into the season on college or the pros?

It's disappointing to see the league is still ignoring Japanese talent and that speaks volumes about their attitude towards the baseball being played over here. As for the timing, it's better to make a decision like that early to give yourself the chance to fully prepare for your future.

3. How do you feel about the potential changes the league is looking into?

What changes? Until I know what they are, I can't really have an opinion on them. Are they opening camps in Japan to provide a route into the league for local players? That would be good.

4. Talk about any other news that sticks out to you?

Altamirano is having a hot start to the year and I'm happy to see it. We knew he was one hell of a talent, but we needed help in other areas and I still think that was the right decision. I look forward to see him growing in the league and hopefully I'll get a chance to bring him back to Tokyo at some point in the future.

5. Talk about your opponent this week. What will be the key to victory?

Another long journey, this time to Jacksonville. I really wish the league had set up longer home and road stands for us considering the logistics involved, and I'm sure GM Dazz agrees with that, but it couldn't be clearer that they want foreign money but not foreign success. We'll just have to keep ramming our success down their throats. Jacksonville have had a rough start to the season but you can never take any games for granted. We'll have to play just as well in this series as we have up to this point. Keeping our edge and making sure we don't let complacency slip into our game are going to be key for us.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »
ďDo you think itís the league not doing enough for Japanese players? Do you think itís an international player as well? Or could it be the players would rather play close to home?Ē

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2019, 07:09:19 PM »
I think the league needs to do more for all international players. Japan has had a thriving baseball culture for decades, so it's the obvious first step for expanding the talent pool, but I used to play baseball in the UK and I know there'd passion for the sport there as well. It's no accident that the league has teams in both of those countries. As for playing close to home, that might be something we look into ourselves if the league won't step up.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2019, 07:11:30 PM »
I'll clarify that I mean that we'll look to attract local talent to come to us directly. It wasn't s threat to leave the league, before you all start writing that.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2019, 10:09:56 AM »

If DeVoe keeps pitching like he has, they might as well start carving our name on the trophy for a fourth time.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »
He's taken to the role even quicker than I had anticipated. We'll have to keep this pace up all year, considering how good a couple of the other teams are looking. Next up we have a series that could trip us up if we're not careful. I can't imagine Jacksonville are as bad as they've looked, are they?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »

Not sure what's going on in Jacksonville. Still a very talented team that is probably due to bust out. 

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
Let's make sure they don't bust out this week. Remind the lads that Jacksonville have been our closest competition since the league began and they have our trophy. Their current record counts for nothing if we don't take then seriously. I'll let you get to it. Send DeVoe to see me.
---
Mr. DeVoe, congratulations on a hot start to the season. You've been very impressive so far and we're going to frighten a lot of teams as long as you keep playing like that.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »

It feels good to be able to finally contribute to this great franchise. I'm feeling great on the mound!

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2019, 10:20:23 PM »
That's just what I like to hear. We're going to need more of the same from you this week to knock off the reigning champs and their defence before it even gets started. I know you can do it.
---
No changes.
Lock in

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2019, 01:23:44 AM »
WEEK THREE

1. Why did you win or lose your last series?

I'm concerned that it might be the travel that we have to do each week. It's a huge disadvantage to have to fly thousands of miles every week to hop from Japan to America and back again. It would have been much better to have had longer home and road stands, but it is how it is and we have to find a way to cope. I don't mean to take anything away from Jacksonville, who were due to break out against someone, but you can see how much sharper we were in game 3 when the jetlag wore off.

2. Talk about at least one piece of news. 

Chris Westfall had a fantastic series and performances like that will make sure we win a lot more games than we lose. We're delighted with how he's playing and proud to have him on the team. He's a class act.

3. What changes would you like to see happen in the league? Anything you plan on bringing to the table during winter meetings in the offseason?

I'd like to see more consideration for non-US teams and non-US talent. I mentioned that last week and I hope the league is willing to do more to make this wonderful sport and truly global game.

4. Talk about your opponent this week. What will be the key to victory?

San Diego have some incredibly talented players on their roster that you have to contain, but I think we can get at their pitching. It'll be exciting for the fans to see one of their own when Tokujiro Maeda steps to the plate and I'm sure they'll give him a wonderful reception... and an even better one when he leaves defeated. The key is going to be consitency. We've played well so far and we should have enough about us to sweep this series and keep ourselves right near the top of the league.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
ďWill you be doing anything special for the arrival of Tokujiro Maeda when he returns to his home soil?Ē

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 09:27:09 PM »
No. He's not our player. I'm sure the fans might make up some banners and we'll do.something for him when he decides to swap San Diego for Tokyo permanently, but we won't spend money to celebrate a rival player.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »

We hit the ball well, but our pitching just didn't have it this series. 

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »
I wasn't happy about that, but I think we need to judge these guys on their work over the whole season rather than one series. Hopefully it was just a blip and we'll see normal service resume in Tokyo. I don't want to panic and rip things up after one lost series, so unless you have any changes you want to make I think we just keep on doing what we're doing.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »

One bad week shouldn't force us into any changes and I think we matchup well against San Diego. Even if our pitching doesn't return to what we'd like it to be, I feel our bats can tee off on their pitching.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2019, 09:40:20 PM »
My thoughts exactly. I'll let you get back to practice. Send Chris Westfall to see me, please.
---
Chris, fantastic play this week. It looks like you're really enjoying your baseball at the moment. I'm just sorry we couldn't get the three wins your play deserved. Another week and a another set of pitchers for you to send home crying to their mothers. How are you feeling so far?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »

After missing the playoffs last season, we're ready to get back into position to put another ring on the finger. It's fun hitting in our potent lineup!

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2019, 03:13:36 AM »
It's fun watching as well. Let's kick some more ass this week.
---
No changes.
Lock in

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2019, 08:20:15 PM »
WEEK FOUR

1. Discuss the latest series. Did anything surprise you?

I was surprised that we didn't sweep the series, but I don't think the way we played was particularly surprising. I learned a thing or two from the experience that I think will help us in the rest of the season.

Maeda getting traded was a huge shock. If I'd known he was available for that price, or any price, I would have put an offer in for him. The guy is one of the top players in the league and he was sold for peanuts. Just mind blowing.

3. Which player on another team has impressed you the most?

Maeda. We saw him up close this week and he was just as good as advertised. The guy gave up a big chunk of his downtime for the fans in Tokyo, rival fans, and he then balled out. He's a true pro and a gentleman and raises the profile of Japanese athletes. He's everything you want in a player and would be a great fit here, if Talon is ever stupid enough to trade him.

4. Talk about your opponent this week. Which player will be the key to win the series?

London are on fire and their pitching is the key to that team. I don't think any one player will be key to victory because it will be up to all our bats to get after their pitching and be the first ones to make them uncomfortable.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »
"Are you saying GM Gooch didn't approach you about acquiring Maeda?"

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »
No, he did not. I would have made an offer if I'd known of Maeda's availability as having a hometown hero on the squad would be huge for the team and the league's profile. I thought he was one of the league's untouchables, to be honest.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2019, 01:00:08 PM »

Another strong week, but I canít help but feel pissed that we didnít know about Maeda. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:00:31 PM by GM Jon »

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2019, 03:59:21 AM »
I should have asked about him while he was here, but I just didn't expect him to be a realistic target. Maybe I can get him from Talon at a future date. As for our play so far, I think it's clear that Little has been brought up too soon. We could swap him for Palmeri, but then we'd have to send Payne to the reserves for one of our spare catchers. How involved is Payne in the games and do you prefer Barton or Fisher?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »

I agree, I think it's time to bring Palmeri in and bring a boost to the pen. Little has potential, but he's struggling in there at times. As for Payne, yeah, he can go down. He's another who has potential, but isn't ready for consistent playing time. 

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2019, 07:32:01 PM »
That's what we'll do, then. I talk to the guys we moved down after the series in London, but we'd better get on the plane now.
---
Starting Lineups

vs. RHP
1. Joaquin Rodriguez
2. Guan-xiu Dung
3. Mike O'Brien
4. Chris Westfall
5. Daniel Sanchez
6. Tito Rodriguez
7. Nate Perrone
8. Ricardo Murillo
9. Willie Garcia

vs. LHP
Managerís decision

Starting Pitcher Rotation
1- Isaiah Upchurch
2- Mike Anderson
3- Josh DeVoe

Fisher takes Payne's place on the bench and Palmeri takes Little's place on the pitching staff.

Lock in

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »
WEEK FIVE

1. Discuss the latest series. What was one thing you loved and one thing you hated?

I loved taking London's pitching apart in games 2 and 3. I didn't love getting shut out in game 1. London's ace is no joke and they will go far carried by that arm. Fortunately, we have a deeper squad and a more rounded team that was able to take the series. I'd really like us to sweep another one soon, though.

The punishments handed out for the brawl earlier in the season were well deserved. This isn't ice hockey and that sort of behavior needs to be stamped out. If a guy flips a bat on you, strike him out. If a guy throws at you, hit his next one out of the park. Winning is the best way to fight back.

3. With all-star voting underway, what is one name that surprises you towards the top and what is one name you feel is not getting enough love?

Altamirano is a surprise. We knew how good his bat is when we agreed to trade him, but he's really shone more than I expected in a starting role and deserves the votes.

I'm surprised our pitchers aren't on the list. DeVoe has won all of his games so far. Not sure what else he can do to prove himself as a top talent.

4. Talk about your opponent this week. What player on the opposing team do you have to worry about the most?

Brooklyn don't play with honour. They've got a GM and manager who encourage their players to target the opposition and try to hurt them. We have to make sure we don't sink into the gutter with them. If we play honest, professional baseball we will send them home with their tails between their legs. Their GM can forget the welcome ceremony and box we usually provide for honoured guests. He can sit with the Tokyo fans and find out what they think of his words and actions.

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »

The boss loves it when we beat the distant neighbors overseas. We took their best punch and came back with the knockout. I really like what we have going right now.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2019, 12:11:55 AM »
As do I. I think we'd have swept the series against any other pitcher and I was pretty happy with how we played overall. This week, I really do want a sweep. I'm tempted to encourage the guys to flip their bats at every hit, but I think it would be best to rise above Brooklyn's outdated view of how to play the game and just beat them cleanly. We can show them what a modern baseball team looks like. Happy with that, or do you think a little fire would be beneficial?

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1335
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2019, 02:58:18 PM »

We don't need to belittle our own values. Let Brooklyn do what they want, we'll point to the scoreboard at the end of the game.

GM Kirk

• The Freakin' Man
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Today at 12:47:52 AM »
Sounds good to me. Let the lads know that I'm proud of their efforts so far and to keep it up. I don't see the need to get in the way right now, but I'll start having meetings with the other coaches and some of the players from next week. Let's focus on sweeping Brooklyn and sending them home with some humility.

Starting Lineups

vs. RHP
1. Joaquin Rodriguez
2. Guan-xiu Dung
3. Mike O'Brien
4. Chris Westfall
5. Daniel Sanchez
6. Tito Rodriguez
7. Nate Perrone
8. Ricardo Murillo
9. Willie Garcia

vs. LHP