Author Topic: TEAM: ALBUQUERQUE ROADRUNNERS  (Read 2894 times)

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: ALBUQUERQUE ROADRUNNERS
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »
THE MEDIA GROWS IMPATIENT

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2019, 07:15:51 PM »
AUTOLOCK.... LIGHTNING STRIKES CAN BE SEEN HIGH ABOVE THE CITY!

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »
"Thank you for joining me. I'm sorry I missed you last week, there were some crazy thunderstorms last week and I missed my flight in. Don't worry, I was able to do some work remotely, and now I'm here to answer some questions. I'll take the first one."

"Can you discuss your series last week against the Brass?"

Thank you. It was a great series. Bobby and Mel both got their much deserved first wins of the season, and it comes at a good time. With one series win we've crawled closer to playoff positioning. I'm optimistic that the team we saw against the Brass is who we really are. Next question?"

"Any comments from the news of the week?"

"I thought the 20 walk game was pretty crazy. Hopefully that was just an abberation, cause that isn't exciting baseball. Next question?"

"With some teams employing some creativity in their pitching rotation, using openers or pitching their Ace in game 3, is that a strategy you will start using in Albuquerque? "

"It was only a matter of time before someone tried it, right? We have such a unique scheduling structure in the PBL that using the rotation strategically is possible. In truth, I had thought about it, but then some teams started employing it. I don't want to say that the option isn't on the table. But, as someone who used to pitch way back when, I know that for a pitcher, rhythm is important. So if we employ it in the future, it will be with careful consideration, and it won't become an every series thing. Next question?"

"You are up against Mexico City this week,  which game is most important and why?"

"All of them? As a team with a .333 win percentage, we don't have the luxury of splitting or losing series. We need wins, and we need them early, often, and nearly every time at this point. Any further questions?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2019, 09:57:07 PM »

Must've been some kind of thunderstorm. Well, I rallied the team in your absence. I did pretty well don't you think?

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »
"Yeah, nice work getting those wins. We may have found our rhythm, but I'd need another series win or two before I can feel confident about that.

How do you think we match up against Mexico City?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2019, 09:54:16 PM »

Mexico City is a lot like us with with slightly better bats and much better starting arms. This is a series would could win, but I'm not going to lie here, we need to either do something to make ourselves better or start prepping for the future. I don't think we can make the playoffs as we stand in our roster despite somehow still being in the playoff hunt.   

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2019, 11:32:06 PM »
"I've been having fleeting conversations with other GMs, but no one has talked serious yet. I expect moves will be made, but probably closer to the trade deadline. For now, business as usual.

---

1. LF - Allen
2. RF - Carlisle
3. 2B - Layne
4. 3B - Rodriguez
5. DH - Taffola
6. CF - Potts
7. 1B - Ruiz
8. C - London
9. SS - Grimes

Rotation
1 -Andrade
2 -Melgosa
3 -Youngers

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »
"Thank you for joining me. Let's get this one under way. We just finished our series against Mexico City. We were looking for another series win, but it didn't quite work out. We played them close, but not close enough. I can't say that I am happy, but I can say we will continue to fight for wins. Any questions?"

"Can you talk about some of the news this week?"

"Well, breaking news right before I walked to this podium. Kirk is out, and Gooch is on a flight to Tokyo. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere, I don't believe in abandoning my team in the middle of the season. I think its a poor reflection on both Kirk and Gooch to be honest...but you have to do what you have to do. Next question?"

"With the trade deadline approaching, will you be buying or selling?"

"No comment."

"Are you staying pat?"

"Sorry, no comment at this time. Next question?"

"Can you tell us about your next series against Omaha?"

"Sure. Omaha right now occupies one of the wildcard spots, so we have an opportunity here with a series win to make a statement. We're still one of the most successful franchises in this league, and that goes whether we happen to find ourselves in 1st place, somewhere in the middle of the pack, or even at the bottom. I look forward to this. That's all the time I have at this time. Thank you."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2019, 08:02:14 PM »

Whatís the plan boss?   

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
"Working on some deals, expect new faces this week.

I'm thinking I want to get some of our prospects main roster playing time. Specifically Jonathan Owens. He's probably our top prospect in the system, and I wanted to call him up to work in the bullpen, probably for the rest of this season. I just want your professional opinion...would doing so hurt his growth?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »

Thatís a good idea, Owens would get more out of pitching then just working with us during practices.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2019, 07:18:15 PM »
"That will be done. I also expect to shuffle the roster and bring up some young talent to see what we have with them.

Even though the roster will be changing this week, I need you and the rest of the staff to emphasize that we're not going out there to lose, we're going out there to win. I don't want anyone thinking that we're going to start tanking or coasting. Frankly, the guys haven't gotten it done, so we're going to give others some opportunity instead."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2019, 08:20:28 PM »

The cupboard is bare, I think it's smart to start moving some pieces and gaining some future prospects or draft picks.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2019, 11:28:12 PM »
"Well, as you could now say, the cupboard is filled. We just move Tafolla for a handful of prospects and picks. I know it's a shocking move, and a player of his caliber will be missed. However, we still have work to do in this building. As I said, even if we make some moves, we're not doing it to give up on the season, I want these guys working, now harder than ever to set a strong example to these young players we've acquired.

I'm still in communications with a couple of GMs. Another move could get made, but we could also be done as we're now sitting on a bunch of prospects and picks already. I also want to find a way to get Osborn a place on the main roster so we could see what he's got. Once we're done with all our moves, I'm gonna leave it to you to set the line-up as you see fit."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2019, 10:53:56 AM »

I've liked the moves we've made so far. Have we lost some good talent, yes, but we've made up for it in prospects and draft picks. I'd say nice job.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2019, 01:50:43 PM »
"If you can, I'd like to know what secondary positions you think our players are capable of playing. You said earlier this year you think Chapple could play LF for example, and we've been deploying Layne at 2B. This will help me better plan roster construction, so all the insight you can provide is appreciated. Even if you just quickly list all our players and what positions they could play."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2019, 01:58:04 PM »

Sure, let me give you the scoop. Lynn London can also play a little first base. Chapple can also play LF. O'Connell can play shortstop and can get plugged into the OF in an emergency. Layne is good at second, short, and third and can even play first. Grimes can play both middle infield spots. Kovalsky can play okay at second, third, and short. Potts is elite anywhere in the outfield. Carlisle can play first base as well as anywhere in the outfield, but much better in RF.   

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »
"That is helpful. Do you know about any of our young guys on reserves? Even just the guys we had all season, I know a few guys just arrived this week."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »

Nobody is great at multi-positions, but Messina can play second, short, and third adequately. That's about it for the reserve players.   

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2019, 09:07:40 PM »
"Alright. I'm gonna leave it in your hands."

---

Line-Ups Coach's Decision

LOCK IN

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »
"Thank you for joining me. We had a great series against Omaha. I love the grit this team showed in taking two overtime wins. Rolling over for Omaha would have been the easy thing to do, but instead the team stepped up and showed that despite our overall record, we are here to compete. I know our fans are used to this team at the top of the standings, and I want our fans to know that even though we aren't there right now, we will not use it as an excuse to give up. Continue to back us, because we are gonna fight for you. I'll take questions now."

"Can you talk about the news items this week?"

"Sure. I'm really proud of the effort Ruiz gave in the homerun derby. He had a good showing, and I think he had the talent to win it all. It just wasn't meant to be. Him, plus C-Rod's selection to the team were a highlight. But man, our conference got slapped around and that should leave a sour taste in the mouths of everyone in the Heartland. Baseball was born in the Heartland, and damn we got slapped around anyway. That should be a wake up call in our conference, and honestly, we gotta get some respect back in interleague play. Next question?"

"On that note, who do you think got snubbed from the all-star game?"

"From our team? No one. We haven't been good enough to justify multiple spots on the all-star team. I think he have talent in this organization who are all-star talent, but we haven't been showing it this season. My hope is that after the all-star break our guys can kick it into high gear. Next question?"

"How would you grade yourself at the mid-season point?"

"Failing. We're not where we wanted to be at the beginning of the season. I'm in-charge of the organization, and that is my responsibility. Next question?"

"Who is your midseason MVP?"

"Ruiz. He's had such a powerful bat this season and we've really depended on his power more than anything else thus far. My hope is that other players can step up around him and we can chain together some series wins this second half. Next question?"

"What do you think about your upcoming series against San Diego?"

"We have to win. As I alluded to earlier, we need to get a little pride back against the Coastal League, and we can do our part by taking the series against San Diego. We did a good job last series limiting runs and putting together some hits of our own, so I'm looking for the team to progess in both departments there. Thank you, no more questions at this time."

----

"Coach, good series win. Loved the grit we displayed out there in getting it."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »

Love that this team doesn't quit. That was a TEAM series win there.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2019, 09:15:34 PM »
"Definitely. We may make more moves to get youth in here, so just be aware of that possibility. I'll touch base with you again before we lock in. I want to give you some time to work. Thanks, Coach."

---

"Sweetie, could you let Mr. Earp know I am available to meet?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »

Well partner, it hasn't been the best of times round these parts. I can't be too upset, as we are still within playoff range. But we are far off our season goals and I am none too pleased about that. We traded away two town favorites, so we need to win our fans back in this second half. All I ask is that we at least even the season series against Mexico City and be in the playoff chase towards the end of the season. Think you can manage that much?   

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
"This is not what I wanted either, and joined this team to win. Whatever success this team had in the past it became apparent early on that was over. We're going to retool around young talent. As you saw this past week, we're still in it to win series. The fans will come around to the next generation of Runners baseball."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »

Letís see to it then partner.   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:28:41 AM by GM Jon »

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »
"Thanks, boss."

---

Coach's Decision

LOCK IN

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2019, 10:14:09 PM »
"Thank you for joining me. Another tough series this week, we were able to take one, but no more than that. We're still lacking the ability to string hits together, and that's got to change. We had a great show of it game 2, and we have to do that consistently to get back in the wildcard, and even divisional hunt. I'll take questions now."

"What did you think of the blockbuster Ricky Cruz trade?"

"Well, if the Drillers were so intent on beefing up a divisional rival, they should have contacted me, as I would have delivered a greater steak than Mexico City did. Pun...maybe intended? It doesn't change much for us to be honest, these are still the same divisional foes that at the end of the day, we need to deal with, regardless of what uniform Cruz puts on. Next question?"

"Anything else news wise that caught your eye?"

"No, not really. I'm hyper focused on what this team is doing right now. I'll catch some other games around the league, like that record breaking strikeout game, but that's just to keep tabs on the rest of the league. Next question?"

"What is the key to your series against Boise this week?"

"We gotta hit better. We can't continue to have games where we spread 5 or 6 hits over 9 innings of work. That's the focus we'll have to have this week. The opponent doesn't matter when we're struggling at the plate across the board.

Alright, any further questions at this time?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2019, 12:52:49 AM »

Not a pretty showing with our bats, besides that second game. We let this series slip away from us.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »
"No. It's not been a pretty show of the bats overall this season. Far from it. This series against Boise has to be a tipping point for us. The bats need to come to life.

Anything else for me, Coach?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »

Ready to go when you are.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2019, 02:00:23 PM »
"Thanks, Coach. I'll let you get to it."

---

"Bobby Andrade please.

Hey Bobby, hows it going? While it hasn't translated to your win-loss record, I wanted you to know that I've been pleased with your efforts on the mound this season. I didn't want you to think it has gone unnoticed. How are you doing otherwise?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2019, 12:01:56 AM »

Hasn't been easy this season, we're a team of winners. I hate this losing stuff.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »
"I do too. But it's going to change. You're our Ace, I need you to continue to set the example that we expect to win every time you go out there."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2019, 09:27:19 AM »

Thatís always my goal.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2019, 10:58:39 AM »
"I'm gonna let you get back to it."

---

"Sweetie, let the Coaches know we're done for the week."

Coach's Decisions

LOCK IN

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2019, 08:51:46 AM »

"Thank you for joining me this afternoon. We had another tough series against Boise, taking one, but that was it. It was a real shame, as I think all three starters put on great performances, and its disheartening that we couldn't back them up in the first and third game, notching just a few hits and even fewer runs. Game 2 was much better and that regard, and we'll look to build off of it. I'll take questions now?"

"Was the cycle by Alex Morales the most impressive thing this season?"

"Absolutely. It is so rare to hit for the cycle, anytime it is achieved, its a special moment for baseball. A feat like that transcends baseball. Next question?"

"Is it true that you have nearly 10,000 baseballs left over from your military appreciation weekend?"

"Why, do you want one? It's true, it's unfortunate that our fans are not coming out to support us like they have in years past. But, I feel we need to look inward. Are we a team deserving of fan support right now? I don't know. As for the baseballs, we'll be donating the left overs to stock up youth baseball leagues in New Mexico and Arizona. Next question?"

"What is the keys to your series this week against Virginia Beach?"

"We're starting a long road trip this week, and we're gonna use it to get out of our funk. VB is a great team, they are one of the top teams in the league, but we won't roll over. We've been having great pitching performances the last couple of series, and I think we can put it together to shock them. Any further questions?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2019, 12:49:09 AM »

Any ideas to regain fan support? That was embrassing to see.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2019, 08:29:16 PM »
"It was, and I do have an idea.

However, I have some business to conduct. I'm going to let Coach Pvan go. It's not working with our bats, we need a new approach. I just wanted to let you in on the decision before I announce it."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2019, 10:21:30 PM »

Hate to see it, but understand something needs to change and create a spark for the team.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2019, 10:43:04 PM »
"I'm gonna let you get to work while I begin the search for our next hitting coach."

---

"Coach Pvan please.

Coach, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but we're going to have to let you go. Thank you for all you've done for this franchise, but we have to move in a new direction."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2019, 11:06:25 PM »
HE LEAVES, CRYING

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2019, 08:16:14 PM »
"Sweetie, I'd like to start interviewing candidates. Please place a call to Jose Rodriguez."

---

"Mr. Rodriguez thanks for taking my call. GM T-Bone in ABQ here. We are having a personal change, so I'm looking for candidates to fill my Hitting Coach position.

Here's what's happening in ABQ. This season we are last or near last in all major hitting categories. I need that to change, and I need a coach with a vision to make that happen. If you're interested in the position, can you tell me a bit about yourself, your experience, and your vision as a coach."

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2019, 01:23:16 AM »

I'm a retired ball player now, where I coach my high school alma mater's baseball team. Been here for a few seasons now where we've captured the state title twice. I excel at helping players with hand/eye coordination and making contact with the ball... lowering the strikeout rate. I'd like to think I can help your team succeed.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »
"Have you done any work above the high school level?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »

I have not.

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2019, 01:32:21 PM »
"I'm going to be considering several candidates, but my office will let you know one way or another. Thanks for your time."

---

"Casey Tidwell please.

"Mr. Tidwell thanks for taking my call. I'm looking for a new hitting coach to join the staff in ABQ. We're last in nearly every statistical category and that needs to improve. Can you tell me about your experience as a coach, as well as your vision on how to get the most out of the talent we have?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »

I have been in this game since I picked up a glove when I was three. Had a 10 year playing career overseas and then began coaching in the Domincan league, nine years going now. I don't favor any one area of hitting as I try to make every hitter better in each area. 

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
"Have you coached any notable players in the Dominican league that have made it to the PBL?"

GM Jon

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1329
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »

Quite a few actually. Willie Hernandes, Jose Guerra, Henry Guzman, and Lazaro Hernandez are the most notable.