Author Topic: TEAM: THUNDER BAY ROAR  (Read 4755 times)

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: THUNDER BAY ROAR
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »

I agree, I think our rotation is fine as is as well as the lineup. We just have to go out and execute like we have all season.

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »
For sure - I think then our only real conversation needs to be around how do we handle Ricky Cruz? Obviously he's protection for Scherman but after him there's no one in that Torito's lineup who scares me. Obviously it changes situation to situation but I'm thinking we make sure he doesn't hurt us by putting him on when need be.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2019, 01:07:57 PM »

So intentionally walk every time first base is open or only with one out or less. It sounds good, but I'll just need to know exactly how you want to handle it.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2019, 01:32:44 PM »
I'm thinking a couple scenarios where we 100% walk him. I don't care how many outs there are.

- Runner in scoring position with first base open.
- If he represents the tying or winning run in the last three innings, or if that runner is on base when he's at the plate, though obviously we don't walk in the tying or winning run.
- Runner on and two outs.

Obviously if we're up by a bunch let's pitch to him. The other thing I don't want us to be afraid of doing is using Pierce and/or Feret in leverage earlier. I want those guys facing the top of the order if possible out of our pen. Does that all make sense?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2019, 01:35:37 PM »

That looks good to me.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2019, 07:45:58 PM »
Alright - I want to check in on a couple things and then we'll be ready to go.
---
Alannis, I know we have an off-season scouting budget but given we're down our first round pick I was wondering what the possibilities would be to divert 1MM of that towards promoting our players for regular season awards, or if that was not possible, what avenues we had to do the same?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2019, 12:54:05 AM »

I got one hand in my pocket, and the other one is given you this answer... sure, you could spend the $1MM in PR to promote the players up for awards.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2019, 04:40:03 PM »
Awesome - thanks. One last thing before we look in. Can I see Pizzy please?
---
My dude - what a way to end a series! Just wanted to give some respect for the hit and the performances all season.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »

Thanks boss, feeling confident and really, just having fun.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2019, 04:50:02 PM »
Good to hear. Let's have at 'er this week.
---
We're ready to go.

LOCK IN

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »
GM METRO APPROACHES THE PODIUM – CHAMPAGNE SOAKED AND A MASSIVE SMILE ON HIS FACE

What a game – what a series. I’d like to start by giving credit to Mexico City, that’s a good team over their and I’d like to tip my cap to GM Pancho for the work he did in assembling that squad to get to this point.

I really don’t know what else to say – it’s all a big bag of everything at the moment … yeah. I mean, I want to give credit to our coaching staff for putting together an awesome strategy to help control the heart of their order. It took a lot of guts to be willing to do what we did, to look at your team and be willing to say this is what we need to do to win and have it be questioned and second guessed when it’s outside of the norm but they had the conviction to go for it. I also want to applaud all our pitchers for buying in as well. It takes a lot of humility and willingness to self-sacrifice to say that you know Ricky Cruz is going to hurt us and is really good at what he does and stick to the plan rather than stare him down and go full Rick Vaughn.

I also want to give a shout-out to series MVP Adrian Harris too. Earlier this season he took a seat for a week to reset and he’s come back from that like gang-busters. There’s a lot to be said about the maturity he showed in accepting what happened and using the opportunity to improve and come back and really be a key contributor for us down the stretch. It’s that kind of attitude that begins to permeate through the locker room and really helps to establish a tone.

Last thing on this series – I’m really proud of how our bullpen buckled down when we needed them. Games 1 and 4 especially they did an incredible job of locking it down and making sure that we capitalized on our opportunities to win games. That’s something we’re going to have to do to win the Premier Cup and I think we can build on that and continue the momentum.

We’ve got an entirely different beast to face to win it though. I have absolutely nothing but respect for Talon and what he’s done. He’s managed that team really well and built a great squad. There’s no weak link to target, they’ve got balance in their lineup and rotation and a really good bullpen. Realistically they mirror us in that respect. We’re going to need to execute and win those few key plays in a game if we’re going to become Premier Cup champions. I really trust our coaching staff and our players to put us in a position to do that.

Any questions?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2019, 07:21:02 PM »
“Will you be intentionally walking anyone on Virginia Beach? Or what we in the media are calling give someone the Ricky Cruz treatment?”

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »
I think that's more of a situational question than an absolute. I don't think you'll see anything as "unconventional" as what happened in the Mexico City series but at the same time you have to do what gives your team the best chance to win.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 28, 2019, 02:53:08 PM »
“What is your opinion on the leagues handling of the Game 4 altercation?”

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »
Honestly - I've only seen the reports and not had a chance to talk to Pizzy or the league. I think that Pizzy had a reason to be upset and defend himself and, as much as some commentators would love to see it go the way of the dodo, the mound charge is a part of baseball in that scenario. I also think that the umpire crew realized they had mishandled the incident and decided not to double-down later on an obvious inadvertent HBP and not further impact the competitiveness of the game and I think that the league has made the right decision by choosing to not impact the competitive balance of the Premier Cup.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »

Let's not let this background noise disrupt our vision. We have a championship to win.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2019, 03:22:43 PM »
Exactly - there's so much at stake over the next two weeks that we can't lose our focus. I know I'll have to speak to Pizzy but beyond that I really don't think there's much to do this week. We know what we are, we know what we're facing, it's just up to us to do it. Agreed?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »

We did it in the regular season, but this is a much different and vastly improved Tide team. But if we can stick to what got us here, we know we can beat them.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2019, 03:37:48 PM »
I agree - we play this week straight up because of that depth that they have. I think that this is going to be a lot of fun to be a part of, regardless, of the outcome but I'm hopefully we'll be champagne shocked at the end. Anything else?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2019, 04:00:45 PM »

Let's bring it home.... for Canada!

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
Sounds good - I'll have a speech ready once we're looking to go.
---
Pizzy, just wanted to check in with you after what happened earlier and get your thoughts on the matter. I think I have a pretty good idea but want to make sure before making any assumptions.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »

Obviously could've handled myself better in the moment... but when I took that ball where I did, my career flashed before my eyes. Scared the shit out of me and I reacted. I'm sure Dale had no intention of hitting me, but I also wanted him to know that I was pissed off about it.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
For sure - I think a lot of these things are judged in hindsight but in the moment I know your interest is protecting yourself and your career. You've got to get yours while you can and I respect that. I know the league has come down with a suspension for the start of the next season but there is an appeals process. I've not reached out to the league yet about what that looks like because I wanted to talk to you first. I don't know what's going to happen if we appeal but right now I think our focus needs to be on the Premier Cup.

With that said if we have to appeal prior to the Premier Cup I wanted to ask your thoughts about not appealing and accepting the suspension, as wrong as it may be, to make sure nothing impacts the team right now. I know it means a couple game cheques next year and maybe taking something on the chin you don't deserve, but having you in our lineup sure helps this teams chances of going down in the history books.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2019, 07:38:44 PM »

I do think the suspension is a bit much as nothing happened, just words and some shoving. But it is what it is. This sport has gone soft.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2019, 07:56:55 PM »
I 100% agree on the suspension. If I was in GM Pancho's shoes and this was the only thing we'd have left to fight for I'd back you in a knuckle down brawl here but I'm not GM Pancho and we kicked some Torito ass. I'll talk to the league office but are you okay with that as a path forward. It's obviously your right to appeal and all I can do is advise.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »

I'd appreciate you doing what you can.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2019, 08:06:31 PM »
Awesome - I'll talk to the league and we'll go forward. Thanks Pizzy. I look forward to seeing you at our championship parade. Best of luck out there.
---
Commissioners office please?
---
Hi, I wanted to inquire about the timeline to file an appeal of Andreas Pizzolato suspension. Would it be before or after the Premier Cup?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2019, 08:42:43 PM »

It would be after the Premier Cup, sir.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
Perfect, thank you miss.
---
Jay Larson please.
---
Jay, just wanted to commend your courage for continuing to use the inside corner even after what happened. I think it says a lot about the comradery in that locker room that we're going to take a stand and not let teams bust Pizzy inside and then lean out over the plate on us.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 29, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »

Like, yeah man, just totally lost control on that pitch, you know? Pretty crazy, whoa.     

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »
For sure bro. Good luck this next series - let's bring it home.
---
Adrian Harris please.
---
Mr. MVP. I just wanted to recognize your performance and just continue to commend the work you've done this season. It's not easy being a rookie in the spotlight but you've handled everything with aplomb this season.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »

Just happy I am contributing to this team and helping us towards a championship.     

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2019, 11:48:33 PM »
For sure - best of luck out there.
---
Alannis, it's time.
---
Gents, we've fought all year to get to this point; for some it's not your first time here but for many this is the stage you dream about since you're a little guy in the Sandlot, dreaming of the big moment, the big lights, your chance at immortality. I know I said that we fought all year to get here - but realistically it hasn't just been this year, it's been your entire lives; it's the road trips to travel tourneys, it's tossing the ball around with your friends in the back yard, it's the sacrifices your family made to get you to the cage to get twenty more swings in. It's the blisters you got when the grips on the bats were new, it's the creaking in the old pitching machine, it's your dad, your mom, your cousin, someone you love shaking their glove hand after catching a heater off the palm with a massive grin on their face. This is for you but it's also for them.

It's also for everyone in this locker room. The one thing I have been most impressed with this season is how you've played together, how you've come together as a team. We started out strong, we ended strong, we've been the toast of the HEART all season and I don't expect that to end just because we're up against Virginia Beach. It's not going to be easy - I know there's a lot of people predicting this thing is going to go all the way and that wouldn't surprise me. Remember that when something goes wrong, that we've got time to come back, to not give up on yourself and on your teammates because we've not done that all season and it's worked out for us. We've got the team to do this and I know that this entire country is behind you and ready to celebrate with us at the end of it, we just have to give 'em a reason to do so.

Let's do this for your friends, your family, our great fans, the great people of this country that are behind us ... but most importantly let's do it for ourselves. Let's become immortal. Let's show 'em who the best team in the PBL.

LET'S FUCK 'EM GOOD!!!

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
YOU ARE FREE TO DISCUSS THINGS WITH YOUR COACHING STAFF FOR GAMES 4-7

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »
Well - that's obviously not the start we wanted. I just think we've been outplayed. There's not much to change but I wanted to get your thoughts on potentially leveraging the off-day and going Larson/Helton/Larson/Helton if we can force it that far?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 31, 2019, 12:58:33 PM »

I say that we could go that route and let Marshall take over if one of them get into trouble. At this point, we have to play every game like a Game 7 and manage the next game when we get there. It's been a frustrating series as we just can't get that big hit or get that last out before the game gets away from us, but I did like our fight in Game 2.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
Exactly - that's kind of my thought. Marshall gives us an extra arm in the pen as well which might come in handy. The only other thing I can think of is moving Adrian up in the batting order as he's been hitting the ball well. I'm torn though because he's had some opportunities with guys on base and I think we can't really afford to leave any meat on the bone going forward.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »

Your call if you want to go with that.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »
Let's stick to your guns. I've got nothing else left. Let's see if we can't rally the troops?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »

I'll try and spark a fire in their ass.

COACH OSWALT AND GM METRO HEAD DOWN TO THE CLUBHOUSE

Alright... everyone listen the fuck up. I see heads hanging low. I see shoulders slumped. I know we are down 3-0 in the series... but how many times this season were we down to our last out or last inning and we fought back to win. Too many to fucking count! It's that heart and that never give up attitude that the other team across the way has to be really fucking worried about... because we DO NOT QUIT. We will battle our asses off. We will make every game forward a fucking dogfight. We will make the Tide earn every damn out they record. We are not out of this yet... not by a fucking long shot. So lift this heads up, get your game faces on, and let's go out there and get back in this series and win Canada a fucking championship in epic fashion! Let the Tide hear our mighty ROAR!!!!!   

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2019, 03:24:52 PM »
I don't know how much better I could've said it. Gentleman, it's been an honor and privilege to be a part of this team in some small part this year. But we're not done yet. Not by a long shot. At the start of the series we said let's fuck 'em good and we've been the ones taking it up the ass. I think it's time we flipped the script. It's time we go out there and prove the nay-sayers wrong like we've done all year.

I know we're all grown men and fairy-tales are kids stories so humor me here while I do my best. Once upon a time there was a GM who blatantly ripped off a movie in a speech to his team. That team went on to become champions. So I know it's not original and I've spent far too much time focused on baseball than watching movies in my life so my repertoire is limited so here goes nothing ...

"I know you're tired. I know you’re hurting

I wish I could say something classy and inspirational but that just wouldn’t be our style

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars

Glory lasts forever."

Let's fucking go!

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 01, 2019, 03:27:04 PM »
Rotation: GM 4 Larson
GM 5 Helton
GM 6 Larson
GM 7 Helton.

All hands on deck!

LOCK IN

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »
THE PRESS GATHERS AS YOU APPROACH THE PODIUM ONE FINAL TEAM IN SEASON SIX.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 03, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »
A DESPONDENT GM METRO APPROACHES THE PODUM

Man – this is probably the hardest press conference you have to have. I want to start by giving congratulations on behalf of both myself to the Tide players, Talon, and the Virginia Beach fans. That’s a great team and they deserve the trophy. They outplayed us for four games and you get the result that happened. We’re going to be thinking about this for a while but I think when we gather back for spring training next year this is going to serve as motivation for us.

I want to also congratulate our players and staff on a great season though. It obviously didn’t end the way we wanted it too but there’s still a lot to take away. This is the most successful season in our organizations history and that’s something you can be proud of. We’ve got Great Glove winners, Platinum Stick winners, we had players and management nominated for every individual award. There’s a lot of great things that happened and we have to remember that while also remembering this feeling we have now and what we need to do in order to not only get back here, but then take that final step.

I don’t really have much else to say but I also want to thank the members of the media assembled for the work they’ve done this season. You do a great job bringing the game to our fans and as much as I, and other GM’s, don’t seem to appreciate the work you do I want you to know that, in at least my case, that’s not entirely true.

Any questions?

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2019, 04:40:15 PM »
"Looking back at the series... is there anything you wish you could retroactively change to give your team a better chance at winning the Cup?"

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »
Honestly - I don't think there's anything I would've changed. I like our team, they were just better over a 4 game stretch. They just had a timely hit that we couldn't get and that's baseball sometimes.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2019, 04:46:50 PM »

A kick to the fucking gut, but we played our tails off. Just lost to a beast of a team.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2019, 04:52:26 PM »
Exactly - it didn't hurt that there were some charitable GM's that helped put that team together but we can't control that. It's scary too how young they are, just like us and that they've got a chance to improve and be even better.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2019, 04:53:59 PM »

That team isn't going anywhere anytime soon, especially if they can budget for all of them. But we are doing just fine and can grow from this experience, see no reason why we wouldn't be favorites to represent the Heartland again next season.

GM Metroll

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »
I don't disagree - we're going to be in the same boat with the budgeting though. I don't know where the salary cap is going to come in next year but we're going to be carrying Tafolla's cap number next year and that put's a bit of pressure on us. I need your honest opinion on Mike Ray, Jon Kaminsky and Chris Cohen. Obviously I'd love to roll it back with the same group but I don't know if that'll be fiscally possible.