Author Topic: TEAM: TUCSON STARS  (Read 10425 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner -- PBL S6 Premier Cup Winner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
  • S6 Premier Cup Champions
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: TUCSON STARS
« Reply #450 on: November 04, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »

He's still down at least a week, so I'm glad we have Miller in the interim

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 04, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
This game is huge. We definitely don't want to drop to 1-4 and lose this division game. Go get em coach!

Lock In

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 10, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
1. What was your biggest takeaway from your team this weekend?

First and foremost I want to give credit to our coach and his staff. He promised to mix things up and put in some creative packages on defense. The results, well we doubled our sack total on the year, recovered 3 fumbles, and picked off Las Vegas twice. When you hear that, you're probably wondering why the game even went to overtime. The credit goes to their team because we gave up a LOT of yards. That's probably a product of being in the lead at the end and just trying to bend but not break. Coaches will work to clean that up because it is hard to give up that many yards in back to back weeks. But its a real testament to ours guys for toughing it out. The whole offense continues to work hard. We only gave up 1 sack and I love how committed we stayed with the run gave even if it never really got going. Vardy adding some ground touches made a difference and I just love this kid he's keeps getting better and he's so tough and stays poised. So there isn't really a biggest takeaway other than the whole team really contributed to get this win and they deserve it so much.

2. What do you make of the news of the league's expansion?

Well, I must have come to HIFL at a good time. I guess that means I can't use the new guy excuse a lot longer for things yeah? There is certainly a lot of good that can come from this in terms of the popularity of our league and the competition it creates. I think it sends a message to the XFL and perhaps some of those guys will try to join or rejoin the HIFL. The hard part starts with me because these new teams will be taking guys from every squad and we have a lot of talented players who I don't want to be anywhere but Tuscon.

3. Talk about this weeks opponent, and what you expect from your team?

Every division game is important. We go on the road to Oakland who has to be hungry for this win more than just because of our records this season but their division record as well. They want to do a lot of the same things we want to in terms of establishing the run and making plays on defense. At the end of the day it wins games. Tuscon did that this week and we fully expect to give it our all to repeat that this week.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 10, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »

Win over Vegas!  Hell yeah!

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 10, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
Are they considered our biggest rival coach? No one really did anything to fill me in on those personal nuances. To me, any win over a division opponent is extra special. I'm thrilled for our team and I'm glad to see some effectiveness from the scheme.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 10, 2019, 10:58:08 PM »

They are the closest thing, but we've never really had a heated rivalry with any team... outside of the time that GM Powers tried to ruin the careers of the players in New Jersey.  Any division win is HUGE, so I am just stoked we knocked off such a highly ranked team.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2019, 04:45:10 PM »
I need a history lesson sometime.

Moving on. Let's talk about Oakland. All I keep hearing is talent talent talent. I think good coaching and playing a as a team will always best talent. Talk to me about what our scouts believe their strengths and weaknesses are.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2019, 07:54:45 PM »

Oakland is great on defense.  Alfred Glass is world class.  Hagan is a nightmare...  Roy Roberts is a hybrid thumper that can jar you to the core... but on offense?  They have Britt who's one of the elite LT's in the game.  They have Barbour who is historically great, but hasn't looked so hot this year.  And their pass game is hit or miss.  They aren't dropping it as much as before, but Hudgins isn't a threat like some other QBs around the league.

They're 23rd in points, 23rd in yards, 15th in rushing, 16th in passing.    ....7th in points allowed, 3rd in yards allowed, 3rd in rushing defense, and 15th vs the pass.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2019, 08:18:05 AM »
So it looks like we want to try to exploit them with our passing game. We use the run to set up play action and keep Vardy upright. I say that a lot but it really shows results when we protect him. And hopefully our creativity on defense can continue to shine and get us 2 in a row. We have the league-wide bye week to assess things too and I think if we can get to .500 we're in a good spot all things considered.

I did look into the Atlanta situation but outside of the DT they put out there, there wasn't really much that I felt would have bolstered our roster in areas of need. I'm looking into the possibility of putting Richmond on the block and see where that goes.

Is there anything you'd like to do with the guys this week or are we simply ready to head into Oakland?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50086
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2019, 10:36:09 PM »

I think we go and double down on how we prepared this week and take it to Oakland.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 13, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
I'm comfortable with that. Please tell all the guys I'm proud of how well they're doing. Get us to .500!

Lock In