Author Topic: TEAM: TUCSON STARS  (Read 18836 times)

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner -- PBL S6 Premier Cup Winner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
  • S6 Premier Cup Champions
    • View Profile
Re: TEAM: TUCSON STARS
« Reply #450 on: November 04, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »

He's still down at least a week, so I'm glad we have Miller in the interim

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 04, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
This game is huge. We definitely don't want to drop to 1-4 and lose this division game. Go get em coach!

Lock In

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 10, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
1. What was your biggest takeaway from your team this weekend?

First and foremost I want to give credit to our coach and his staff. He promised to mix things up and put in some creative packages on defense. The results, well we doubled our sack total on the year, recovered 3 fumbles, and picked off Las Vegas twice. When you hear that, you're probably wondering why the game even went to overtime. The credit goes to their team because we gave up a LOT of yards. That's probably a product of being in the lead at the end and just trying to bend but not break. Coaches will work to clean that up because it is hard to give up that many yards in back to back weeks. But its a real testament to ours guys for toughing it out. The whole offense continues to work hard. We only gave up 1 sack and I love how committed we stayed with the run gave even if it never really got going. Vardy adding some ground touches made a difference and I just love this kid he's keeps getting better and he's so tough and stays poised. So there isn't really a biggest takeaway other than the whole team really contributed to get this win and they deserve it so much.

2. What do you make of the news of the league's expansion?

Well, I must have come to HIFL at a good time. I guess that means I can't use the new guy excuse a lot longer for things yeah? There is certainly a lot of good that can come from this in terms of the popularity of our league and the competition it creates. I think it sends a message to the XFL and perhaps some of those guys will try to join or rejoin the HIFL. The hard part starts with me because these new teams will be taking guys from every squad and we have a lot of talented players who I don't want to be anywhere but Tuscon.

3. Talk about this weeks opponent, and what you expect from your team?

Every division game is important. We go on the road to Oakland who has to be hungry for this win more than just because of our records this season but their division record as well. They want to do a lot of the same things we want to in terms of establishing the run and making plays on defense. At the end of the day it wins games. Tuscon did that this week and we fully expect to give it our all to repeat that this week.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 10, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »

Win over Vegas!  Hell yeah!

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 10, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
Are they considered our biggest rival coach? No one really did anything to fill me in on those personal nuances. To me, any win over a division opponent is extra special. I'm thrilled for our team and I'm glad to see some effectiveness from the scheme.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 10, 2019, 10:58:08 PM »

They are the closest thing, but we've never really had a heated rivalry with any team... outside of the time that GM Powers tried to ruin the careers of the players in New Jersey.  Any division win is HUGE, so I am just stoked we knocked off such a highly ranked team.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2019, 04:45:10 PM »
I need a history lesson sometime.

Moving on. Let's talk about Oakland. All I keep hearing is talent talent talent. I think good coaching and playing a as a team will always best talent. Talk to me about what our scouts believe their strengths and weaknesses are.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2019, 07:54:45 PM »

Oakland is great on defense.  Alfred Glass is world class.  Hagan is a nightmare...  Roy Roberts is a hybrid thumper that can jar you to the core... but on offense?  They have Britt who's one of the elite LT's in the game.  They have Barbour who is historically great, but hasn't looked so hot this year.  And their pass game is hit or miss.  They aren't dropping it as much as before, but Hudgins isn't a threat like some other QBs around the league.

They're 23rd in points, 23rd in yards, 15th in rushing, 16th in passing.    ....7th in points allowed, 3rd in yards allowed, 3rd in rushing defense, and 15th vs the pass.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2019, 08:18:05 AM »
So it looks like we want to try to exploit them with our passing game. We use the run to set up play action and keep Vardy upright. I say that a lot but it really shows results when we protect him. And hopefully our creativity on defense can continue to shine and get us 2 in a row. We have the league-wide bye week to assess things too and I think if we can get to .500 we're in a good spot all things considered.

I did look into the Atlanta situation but outside of the DT they put out there, there wasn't really much that I felt would have bolstered our roster in areas of need. I'm looking into the possibility of putting Richmond on the block and see where that goes.

Is there anything you'd like to do with the guys this week or are we simply ready to head into Oakland?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2019, 10:36:09 PM »

I think we go and double down on how we prepared this week and take it to Oakland.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 13, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
I'm comfortable with that. Please tell all the guys I'm proud of how well they're doing. Get us to .500!

Lock In

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 16, 2019, 09:37:39 AM »
1. Talk about last weeks game. (typical what went right / wrong depending on a win or loss)

Investing in football can be an emotional rollercoaster. We went from doing so many things right to doing so many things wrong. This was really the first game all year that we let Vardy get pretty beat up. I'm glad he still came out of the game healthy and he still didn't turn over the ball. We just couldn't get anything going and ended up abandoning the game plan considering the score. Defensively we weren't able to create the same opportunities we did against Las Vegas. Credit has to go to GM Justin for putting together such a talented roster.

2. What are your thoughts on this years draft class as you head into the showcase to see many of them for the first time?

A draft class is constructed at the top and at the bottom. Our front office gameplan was to build a team that can compete in the present and the future. Although I know we're all disappointed at the 2-4 start to the season, we're pleased to have 2 picks in the first 3 rounds of this draft especially considering the league expansion. Every team in the league is going to have a lot of holes and I feel Tuscon is better prepared than most to fill them with what we hope to discover are some incredibly talented prospects who are ready to make a high impact.

3. What are you hoping to gain from this weeks Showcase?

We have a number of positions we're interested in looking into on both sides of the football. We want to see how deep some talent pools are as well as get to know some of these guys. Its important to understand that an individual's desire for football may be greater than their talent in terms of turning them into a guy who can thrive in the league for years to come.

4. What did you schedule for your players during the bye week? Training or a week off?

Our team can use the bye week to rest and recover. We're one of the healthiest teams in the league right now and I think some time to focus more on the mental aspects of this game may help preparation for getting back on the field and executing the physical aspects.

5. Talk about anything else on your mind in reference to the league/sport as a whole.

Its almost hard to keep track of everything going on in the league with hirings, firings, returns, trades, and the fact that we already have to start planning for next year just a third of the way into this season. The life of a football general manager is exhilarating. For now all I can really say is that I wish my colleagues all the best throughout all of the larger and smaller transitions. With that being said, I still try to shut out some of the outside noise when applicable. I've got to keep my focus on building winning football here with the Stars.

6. Discuss some of the hiring and firing around the league over the last two weeks, what surprised you most, and what did you see coming?

GM Gates reportedly has a history of moving around the league and taking on new challenges so I'm not surprised he was sought after by one of the expansions. I didn't think GM Bone would be out so soon. I think its a sobering reminder that there isn't any real security in this job. Although I've just gotten started, I'm just as expendable as a GM with a decade of experience. I need to do my best.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 24, 2019, 05:20:53 PM »

Alright, with the showcase in the bag, we shift back to the business at hand.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 25, 2019, 10:06:16 AM »
Indeed. I've been working diligently with this showcase thing but alas there are so many duties at hand.

We've got a lot to fix. Going into this week coach, what do you feel like we can do to right the ship? This team feels like a roller coaster at times particularly the defense. I was a big fan of how you mixed things up but the results of it for 2 games were inconsistent. What do we have on this week's opponent?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 25, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »

We have to do better on offense so the defense isn't running out of gas and getting stomped for 35+ minutes a game. 

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 25, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
The commitment to the run game looks like its there because even though we're not getting the yardage, we're still getting the carries. Controlling the clock keeps the defense fresh. How's our offensive line looking in practice? We've done a little shuffling with the injury to Young. Is it worth playing with the depth chart on the o-line in your opinion to see if it helps create more run game explosion?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 25, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »

I think we're putting our best group of linemen out right now, Livingston is getting older and starting to lose some of his edge, but I still think he's better than moving Downing into the lineup right now.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 25, 2019, 04:49:00 PM »
Alright. I think we just see how the team responds coming out of the bye and go from there.

Lock In

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 03, 2019, 08:54:21 AM »
Talk about last weeks game.

I love team wins. I talk about it every time that I get the chance to talk about a win. There wasn't one thing that won us this game. Credit to Lincoln for working us hard but our guys especially on defense played really special in this game. I know that our guys in the secondary are going to cherish a HIFL record for defended passes but at the end of the day, they care more about a win than individual accomplishments. What's going to get looked over is the fact that our running game found the endzone and that's critical to me that we're able to execute the ground game down there. We're still not getting the yards per carry that we'd like but the coaches have to be confident that we can punch it in down there. But there's still room to improve. We really didn't do a good job of protecting the ball or the quarterback. When you see your gunslinger on the ground 5 times and as a team we commit 3 turnovers, we should be fortunate walking out with the win. That's why its a team game. Guys made up for what happened and we got the job done.

Talk about the news this week, and ALSO talk about the expansion GM's getting to begin their interview process now.

I often preach to our coaches to communicate to these men about how we need to keep the outside noise exactly where it is. The mentality right now is only about Tuscon football and winning games. I have to hope that everyone including our coaches have that commitment to the Stars. I can understand that new teams want to start getting ready for next year. The things we've done this year might make our coaches attractive candidates to these franchises but as of right now I haven't heard anything in our offices other than Tuscon football.

Talk about this weeks game and what needs to happen for you to come away with a win.

The west pacific is the most competitive division in football. Every win is meaningful. We have to go on the road to Portland to face a tough team who knows how to win close games. Particularly they play clean football and we have to disrupt that. Back in week 3 they beat us in our house by throwing the ball all over our defense, playing clean football, and winning on a field goal at the end. We need to return the favor. I think the changes we've made on defense can control their explosive passing game and if we can force more turnovers, control the clock with our running game, and play some clean football of our own, we can do the one thing we haven't done yet this year and that's string back to back wins together.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 03, 2019, 09:55:51 PM »

Can you smell that? ...that's the chance to get back to .500, and out of the cellar in the division.  We're still in this damned thing and the guys are buying in.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 04, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »
This is a good team! And we know what we're walking into this week. Last game with Portland we gave up a ton of yards through the air. I think that the adjustments made on the back end will help prevent some of that. Granted, we're not going to get 19 PDs every game. But the guys on defense have to be motivated. How do you prevent a letdown after a performance like that. Any gameplan ideas for our 2nd game with Portland?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 04, 2019, 09:13:55 PM »

After the game we just played, we don't change a thing and try to keep that momentum and confidence going.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 05, 2019, 08:33:21 AM »
Communicate to the team that I believe in them and how they play for each other. Big hurdle getting to .500 against a division rival in their house. Bring it home coach!

Lock In

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 11, 2019, 08:33:39 AM »
1. Talk about last weeks game.

What can I say? This was a hard pill to swallow. We had a shot at getting back to .500 and being in the thick of this division. Instead, we're at the bottom and I think we've really got to take a look at what we are as a team this week and what we can do to get better. Its disappointing that we haven't been able to string consecutive victories together this season but we can't sit and dwell on that because its a new week. This was the 2nd straight game we didn't do a good job of keeping our quarterback upright and we just can't get anything going on the ground. Despite all that, we were still in it to the very end and I credit our players and our coaches for not having an ounce of quit in them. That's the kind of attitude we need if we're going to turn it around this season.

2. Do you see your team being active at the trade deadline this week, would you be a buyer or a seller?

I think we're prepared to look at all options. I don't want anyone to look at the Tuscon Stars and call us done. We're already well set for next year's draft and so I feel the best thing to do is look at doing a combination of buying/selling to determine what we can really do to right some of the wrongs we've been facing for this year and see where it goes.

3. Talk about the news this week, what stood out to you?

I paid attention to the game results. I really don't care how some of these GMs make a mockery of themselves. There's a lot of chatter about teams moving pieces over the coming weeks and as a general manager, that's the only real type of news I should be giving attention to. If my name crosses the news, I'll be sure to talk about myself. You're getting nothing from me that would disparage any of my cohorts.

4. Talk about this week, which position group needs to step up to help improve your odds of victory?

We've had some success with the rotations on defense and so in my opinion it really all about the offensive line and running attack. Teams know what we can do through the air now and are making adjustments. We have to be able to answer that. I'll be very interested in talking to the coaches AND the players this week to get a sense of what our best plan of attack is. We're going into Seattle, the best team in our division who haven't lost a division game. They're ran by a good general manager and have the feel of a complete team. The task seems daunting but we have the ability to control the game and if we execute that, we can win.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 11, 2019, 09:49:46 AM »

Ugh

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 11, 2019, 02:21:14 PM »
I want you to know coach that we may make some roster adjustments going into next week's game. I appreciate  getting honest with you and putting it out there. A couple of guys came and talked to me about how they're feeling. First thing though, I want you to put together a team meeting so I can address everyone. Let me know when you get the  team together and we'll go from there.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 12, 2019, 07:53:53 PM »
THE TEAM GATHERS

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 13, 2019, 08:37:10 AM »
Listen up everyone. This is the first time I've spoken in front of the whole group so I wanted to be forward with you so you don't have to make assumptions based on what you hear in the media. I was asked in the beginning of this season what kind of team I envisioned Tuscon to be. Were we going to be competing or building. I looked ahead at next year's draft and the assets Tuscon has and I believe our future is bright. So I believed the men in this room are competitors and I was right. I am right. I respect and love all of you for the fight each and every one of you brings onto the field each week. This is not a team that's going to fail. This is not a team that's going to tank. I want you to know that I want to be the kind of general manager that treats his players the right way. A couple of you mentioned things to me individually and I'm going to speak to you about it as men. But I wanted to make sure that I made my presence and my opinion felt...which is that I believe this football team is a winner. You have a huge test this weekend and I'm going to entrust our coaches to make the changes and preparation necessary to give us the best shot at winning. And I'm going to trust all of you to keep winning. I'm blessed to be a part of this franchise.

Does anyone here have any questions? If not, I'll reach out to you if I want to talk one on one.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 13, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
THE TEAM RESPECTS YOUR APPROACH AND HAVE NOTHING TO SAY, YOU GAIN INFLUENCE

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 13, 2019, 12:48:04 PM »
Coach, can I get a sit down with John Livingston please?

----

John, I respect you a hell of a lot. You're a cornerstone of this team. I am worried about how the guys will react if they see you get dealt to another team. That being said, I want to honor your request and I have put your name out there in the hopes that a contender comes to the table to discuss a deal. I will not trade you to any team. You're either a Tuscon Star or your request will be fulfilled.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 13, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »

I appreciate that GM Fresh.  Its not you or how you're running things here, and if I get traded I'll be sure to tell the boys before I leave exactly what is going on.  I love this club, I've spent nearly half of my career here off and on and honestly I think I've had my best years in an Outlaws or Stars uniform, it's just that I think these might be my last few months in the league  and I really want to get back to the Impact Bowl. 

JOHN SITS AND THINKS FOR A MOMENT BEFORE TAKING A DEEP BREATH

...You know what, I want to win a ring no doubt about it but I do love my guys in the locker room too.. if a great deal comes along make the deal, but if my career ends right here in Tucson, I'm okay with that too boss. 

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 14, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
I appreciate that John. I think its important that a person in this position tries to do everyone right. If something comes together, I'll call you in and tell you personally. Otherwise, I'm happy you always have wanted to be here.

Reaches out and shakes hands with John and exchanges a few more pleasantries before John leaves.

----

Coach, can you send in Luigi Lewis?

----

Luigi, although you didn't actually ask to be moved, I still thought you might appreciate having a chance to talk to me and let me know what you're thinking. We really are in this place between contending and building. I do believe the team we put out on the field can win. I want you to be a part of that now and in the future. When it comes to making the financial decisions ahead in terms of keeping guys here, I really want you to be here. I know that's all for agents and whatnot but I felt it was important you hear it from me that if I can make it work, that I'd like you to remain a Star.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 14, 2019, 10:27:46 PM »

Sounds good boss. Just wanted to make sure you knew where I stood.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 15, 2019, 06:36:02 PM »
Keep it up Luigi. You're a heck of a player!

----

Coach. First question is health. How is Vardy doing after finishing that game banged up last week?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 16, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »

Looks fine and ready to get back to the field.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 17, 2019, 06:45:47 AM »
Next question. How close is Jesus Young to a return?

Follow-up question. We've got 2 kickers on the roster. Do you feel one excels over the other? I've gotten a call about Leone.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 18, 2019, 08:07:01 AM »
Scratch that follow-up question.

Back to matters at hand. We've done a couple deals. We brought in some linebacker depth as well as a talented corner to replace Richmond and we did a running back swap which might help us jumpstart the running game. Currently we have an open roster spot but whether I sign a player to fill that depends on how soon Young can get back on the field so I'll need your take on that. Then we can talk about the gameplan for this week.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 18, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »

Doctors are still saying 6-8 weeks from now. He might be out for the year.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 18, 2019, 01:14:39 PM »
That's unfortunate. I had hoped 6-8 weeks from the beginning of the year when it happened would assume that he could return around week 11-12. Well then I'll be looking at getting some depth on our offensive line at either tackle or guard depending what else I hear.

What do you think about our matchup this week?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 18, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »

Yeah the original diagnosis was in line with what you were thinking, but he hasn't improved during recovery so he's still working on that same timeline this far into his recovery.

As for our matchup this week, its going to be really hard.  Seattle is extremely talented across the board, but they've seen Ibrahimovic get sacked 33 times this year and they're without 3 starters on defense with Hickey and both their DTs being out.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 18, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
So I think we should get our new running back in the mix. Have him split carries with Provost maybe? Attack their defensive line depth early and often. And we've been so up and down with the sacks but if you can get the kind of pressure you did a few weeks ago when you first started mixing things up then we could really take advantage of that. What do you think?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 18, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »

For sure.  I think he'll get some good reps for us.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 20, 2019, 09:37:57 AM »
Ms. Morningstar, can you get me David Ames please?

----

Good morning David. I wanted to talk about one of your clients Mark Pressley. We're looking for some depth on our offensive line and I think Tuscon would be a good fit for your client. I want to make an offer of $250K for the remainder of this season with a $1MM contract for next season as well. He's still a young player and we want to offer him an opportunity to develop and compete.

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 20, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »

Make it 500K this year, the non-rookie minimum and you've got a deal.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 11:37:21 AM by Talon »

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 20, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
Ah my fault. 500K this year $1MM next year. Deal?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 20, 2019, 04:07:29 PM »

Perfect.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 20, 2019, 07:03:01 PM »
Excellent.

----

Coach, I think we're all ready for the week. Anything you'd like to add before we go for this?

Talon

• Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 20, 2019, 08:43:31 PM »

No, I'm good.

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 21, 2019, 07:33:31 AM »
Give it our best!

Lock In

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 27, 2019, 07:58:29 AM »
1. Talk about last weeks game.

We knew coming into this that it was going to be difficult against the best team in our division. We weren't able to stop them from the outset and its just so hard to play from behind. Hell it says 27-13 but we were shutout for almost 3 quarters. We did some positive things. We protected the quarterback for the most part. We won the turnover battle and we sacked their guy quite a bit. But a lot of that happened when the game was already decided. We have to prevent these teams from getting off to hot starts on us.

2. Who on your team has really surprised you so far this season?

Well we knew that someone was going to have to step up opposite of Jody Smith at corner after Richmond really fell off. I think Herman Schiller really deserves some credit for everything we're asking him to do both on defense and special teams. He did almost set the defended passes mark a couple weeks ago. He's done well since we mixed it up in the secondary.

3. What do you think about the selections for this years All-Star Captains, and the process used to select them?

Personally, I don't care too much because I'm all about the team. I'm very happy for any of our guys who become all-stars and will celebrate their accomplishments. But the whole all-star game for me doesn't matter. So by default I really don't care about the whole captains thing. I don't know how a general manager comes up here and makes up a sentence or two to answer that? Why don't you ask me about our running game problems or what we're going to do to get out of the bottom of our division? What a wasted question.

4. Talk about this week's match up and the greatest challenge you expect to face this week.

This is the second game of a 3 game gauntlet where we face off against division leaders. We've got to see how we measure up against the very best the HIFL has and undoubtedly that's happening. Miami is an early Impact Bowl favorite and we've got to do what it takes to spring an upset. We may not have great chances of winning another game if we can't average more than 3 yards a carry running the ball so I think we've got to start there. Tuscon needs to control the game to win the game. We're not bad in close games.

----