Author Topic: Rule Discussion #12: ERFA Trade Ban  (Read 602 times)

GM Eli

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
Rule Discussion #12: ERFA Trade Ban
« on: June 17, 2019, 11:11:10 PM »
Just putting this up here for discussion currently, given some of the things that have happened lately and some of the blowback that is coming from it.

I would like for us to discuss possibly enforcing a trade ban on all players signed during ERFA until after training camp is complete. Some effort on the GM's part to protect the players as a whole may help to pacify the HIFLPA and put players minds at ease who are starting to feel like loyalty is something that is lacking from current GM's.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:12:52 PM by GM Eli »

GM T-Bone

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • @GMBoneKC
    • View Profile
Re: Rule Discussion #12: ERFA Trade Ban
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:15:06 PM »
Nah, if people want to risk pissing off players and agents, that's on them.

GM Eli

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 11:17:01 PM »
That's fair but the response currently is less of a "screw that GM" and more of a "Screw ALL HIFL GM's" and that's not a good look for any of us in regards to future negotiations and stalling the stream of players leaving HIFL for the XFL.

GM Pancho

• IMPACT BOWL V & X CHAMPION!
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 11:19:51 PM »

This.

That's fair but the response currently is less of a "screw that GM" and more of a "Screw ALL HIFL GM's" and that's not a good look for any of us in regards to future negotiations and stalling the stream of players leaving HIFL for the XFL.

Somebody is feeling guilty. Iíve been clear in my press conference that when they say that ... they obviously donít mean me.

GM Eli

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 11:22:14 PM »
What do I have to feel guilty about? I didn't cause the backlash tonight lol.

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 11:51:46 PM »

This 100%

GM Kirk

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 11:58:32 PM »
You're driving prices up for yourselves with that attitude, but just keep pretending that everything is fine and see where that gets you.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 12:01:40 AM »
You're driving prices up for yourselves with that attitude, but just keep pretending that everything is fine and see where that gets you.

GM's will always find new ways to drive prices up. No need to put locks on things that don't need to be locked.

GM Eli

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 12:14:29 AM »
Here's my thing, trying to look at IC things from an OOC perspective:

1. GM's voted down expanding the roster and raising the salary cap, which upset the HIFLPA and cultivated negative feelings towards GM's in the league in general.

2. The backlash from Bell after being traded by BD to atlanta shortly after signing his contract with St. Louis was not directed specifically at BD. It was directed broadly at HIFL GM's.

I'm not saying that we NEED to incorporate a ban, or even that we should, but that it's something that should be talked about.

IC, the GM's pushing something that would seem to favor protecting the players somewhat wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. And it's not like it's a full season, the way this discussion is written up anyway, it's just stopping trades on ERFA signed players until after training camp. GM's would have freedom to trade those players before pre-season started.

If it's a no it's a no, that's fine. But I think it's something we might come to regret down he line.

GM Kirk

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 12:25:00 AM »
You're forgeting Elias and Woods last season and AMC trying to walk out of the league as well. The players are at breaking point and they have options now.

GM Eli

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 12:26:15 AM »
Elias and Woods were the mistakes of a new GM to the game. And AMC was the result of a GM who was absent. But they're all good points, Kirk.

GM Pancho

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 12:46:13 AM »
Be better at your jobs. Thatís really what the storylines are about. Weíve made our beds. Now we GM in it. Itís not even like last season where a new cat made some boo boos. We got ďvetsĒ still making rookie moves and mistakes.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 12:50:01 AM »
I get to take advantage of those mistakes. Iíd never have landed Elias and Storm if it wasnít for mess ups.

The HIFL PA can negotiate this deal in there collective bargaining agreement.

Iím not one to help GMs not make mistakes. If it makes my job harder, bring it on.

GM Eli

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 12:52:45 AM »
I agree Pancho, and while those storylines are about being better at ones job, it's also about the ones who are good at doing their job suffering consequences from ones who aren't doing their job as well.

Limiting the potential consequences and backlash from another GM's mistakes isn't a bad thing is it?

Also, Jon, the attitude at the time those mistakes were made was "Screw Stark for doing this" but the attitude now, again, is "screw the HIFL GM's"

It's a different tone and response entirely. Nobody is here to prevent other GM's from making mistakes. I'm talking about limiting other GM's from suffering consequences because of other GM's mistakes.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 12:56:22 AM »
Why limit consequences? Itís part of the challenge of this game.

If you think thatís gonna stop things from happening, it wonít. Itís just delaying an inevitable.

GM Pancho

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 01:04:24 AM »
Weíre literally playing a game where we are at the mercy of a mods whim. Letís not overthink this.

And as for me suffering the consequences of a young GMís mistake .... well it sucks to sucks. Adopt the philosophy and millions of things get explained away without any stress.

GM Stark

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 01:08:17 AM »
We are at a point right now where--while yes it's great that we have this extra money in cap and have more roster space--that's being negated solely by the fact that just because you're offering your players over $20MM, does not absolve you of the fact that you're neglecting core roster spots. The market is going up because we're in a bidding war with XFL guys who want to take away star players who are quite unhappy with the precedent we've set in the HIFL.

And if you want to talk about mess-ups, at the end of the day, I made no more financial mistakes after my mishaps at the start of the season. I didn't spend a lot of cash that I didn't need to, and I kept that ship afloat during a time when the team's expectations were up in the air. If you want to throw around your money, more power to you, but understand this is going to have a trickle-down effect on a lot of guys who can't afford that and in turn those guys will be taking contracts from the XFL. We're not talking about mistakes, we're talking about the market becoming saturated to the point where guys getting over 10 sacks last season are going to be looking to get a Timothy Cobbs payday come later seasons.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1352
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 01:12:42 AM »
Iím not opposed to any players going to the XFL if they want to.

If they do, you move on to you next player.

At the end of the day, itís each GMs responsibility to sell their team, their coaching staff, the league... etc when you pitch to a player. And to build a good relationship with agents and players.

GM Pancho

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 01:17:04 AM »
Iím not opposed to any players going to the XFL if they want to.

If they do, you move on to you next player.

At the end of the day, itís each GMs responsibility to sell their team, their coaching staff, the league... etc when you pitch to a player. And to build a good relationship with agents and players.

Agreed. No one says you have to keep your guys. No one says you canít let them walk. Itís all a part of the game and challenge. If it wasnít the XFL it would be something else.

GM Stark

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 01:20:29 AM »
That doesn't do me any good if I want to retain that guy and I end up having to pay over $20MM in a franchise tag. I want the choice to at least TRY and get the guy I want to retain. If the asking price is too steep, that's taking an option out of my hands and doesn't give me a lot to work with during contract negotiations.

Taking a gamble on a guy is one thing, betting the whole farm is another. My job is to make sure I put the players, coaches, and staff in the best situation possible. We're on thin ice with the agents, the coaching staff, and the HIFLPA if we don't try and mitigate this problem.

GM Pancho

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 01:23:22 AM »
That doesn't do me any good if I want to retain that guy and I end up having to pay over $20MM in a franchise tag. I want the choice to at least TRY and get the guy I want to retain. If the asking price is too steep, that's taking an option out of my hands and doesn't give me a lot to work with during contract negotiations.

Taking a gamble on a guy is one thing, betting the whole farm is another. My job is to make sure I put the players, coaches, and staff in the best situation possible. We're on thin ice with the agents, the coaching staff, and the HIFLPA if we don't try and mitigate this problem.

And dealing with changing market value is a part of the game. The game is fluid and moves in different areas. Itís what REAL GMís deal with on a constant basis. Look at the Nationals and Bryce Harper or Anthony Davis and the Pelicans

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 07:04:47 AM »
I think you have to decide whatís best for your team. The beauty of what Talon has created and that we as a faction of GMís have helped establish as a living breathing game is what makes this an amazing experience. We as GMís must decide how we want to build our teams. The two year cut where we try and get key free agents and Smart trades or do we take the time to build through the draft and free agency for the 3-4 season cut. We all have to deal with the same issues of players leaving and wanting a lot of money but itís what we do prior that allows us to partake in the madness or sit in the sidelines thinking up a new game plan. Everything in this league is predicated on what you did the prior season. We all want to have a pretty good team with some foundational players and still have good draft picks with a ton of cash to spend on key free agents, and we could if we built it that way prior. If all the players were affordable what fun would it be. I like that XFL is causing chaos. I make a ton of mistakes, but I still love new challenges.