Author Topic: 2022 (Season 13) Scouting Combine  (Read 2937 times)

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 22
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 (Season 13) Scouting Combine
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2020, 03:14:41 PM »
GM Gates meanders away from the rest of the GMs. He catches up with his staff for a few brief words and after agreeing on whatever they were talking about, GM Gates takes a seat to watch what is left of the combine.

THE BIG DOG

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »

GM BIG DOG finally makes her way over to the Tottenham coaches and scouts, eyeing the proceedings. Obviously, she keeps her findings to herself with the level of discretion you'd expect from her.

"SWEET SASSY MOLASSY THATS A LOT OF MEAT"

She exclaims, her eyes momentarily bugging out.

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2020, 03:55:44 PM »
GM METRO LOOKS DOWN AT HIS WATCH AND SMILES TO HIMSELF AS HE WANDERS OVER TO THE BENCH PRESS AS ROY BAKER SETS DOWN, WEARING HIS VAUNTED SEC SHIRT FEATURING ONE SWATCH FOR EACH SCHOOL HIS CHILDREN ATTEND, READY TO RAISE SOME MONEY FOR CHARITY!

GM Adam Wrong

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2020, 04:03:17 PM »
GM Wrong hears GM Big Dog's exclamation and hopes she's near the barbecue and not the linebackers at the combine

GM Dario

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 1
  • TD is Here Baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2020, 07:53:18 PM »

Tylen meanders around the combine area, nodding to some of the players, as well as some of the GM's in attendance. The phone rings as he walks along the sidelines.

Shay!  Glad ya called me back.  Yeah, we need to Ix-nay the erformance-Pay.  Call it a gut feeling but we don't need to bring more side-shows to the circus, if ya get what I mean. Plenty of elephants in this room already, no need to add a Dancing Bear or Two.  We'll save it for the Home Opener Game instead. The Skybear will probably like it better that way.

He watches some more of the combine participants then glances over at the 'Bruin Den' as the coaches pour through more statistics.

Also, that scouting report I had you send for. No, not THAT one. Yeah, the 'secret' one. As soon as it gets completely, have it sent over to the Combine. Appreciate ya!

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -13
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »
Who is that guy who walked in, seems like everyone's head turned and now they are all slowly inching closer to stand near him.

That's the commissioner, that's the guy I'll be sending your recommendation to.

Oh, cool, should I go introduce myself

No. He doesn't even know you exist. just sit tight and worry about this job if you plan to land another.

ok, jeeeshh, just trying to...you know what, forget it.....(a few seconds pass) Why aren't you over there with the rest of them/

Never been much for fraternity's or ass kissing. There's a few good guys over there but it's just all one big circle jerk.

Circle what?....

Circle Jerk, you know a bunch of dudes who all stand near each other, rather they like each other or not they are puffing out their chest. mentally measuring each others dicks and Seeing who has the firmer handshakes, trying to be with the in crowd. I would rather do my job, actually look at each player by position and worry about this team I have to put together. They can fraternize and stroke each other over there. I'm fine right here.

They kinda just look like they are eating and talking. I mean, you got that guy over there, Um...I think I heard someone call out his name, something Gates. You got Chef Ramsey kinda doing his own thing with his coaches. You got that guy way over there who keeps staring at you,..US, I'm not sure. Everytime I look over there he looks away, not sure if he's pissed at you or at me for being next to you.

Listen, we've been here a few hours. You want me to go get you some chicken or brisket.?

If I'm hungry I can get my own damn food, look, I've been imputing information all day into these documents. I'm just a little board. I thought coming to a stadium to see a sport my dad loved would be cool, maybe even fun but it's been, you know. Not so fun. I mean You really haven't said much except when you ask me to input information. I'm Just trying to strike up conversation.

(Lucas thinks to himself that he wishes Ms Hart was around. He knows this temp is hot but her millennial vibe is really starting to annoy the shit out of him. He takes out his phone and sends a text to Ms. Hart. "WISH YOU WERE HERE")
You're right, apologies, I am just here to do the job. you don't think i want to go over there and speak to the commish about an important matter involving one of my newly drafted players, of course I do. but look at. he's watching the players, talking with the other GM's, this isn't really the time or place. So instead of going over there and starting small talk or having to smile and shake hands with guys who I only care to speak with if I need to, I would rather not get distracted by entourages, fake laughs and fucking goats. I'm not here to take part of the popularity contest. I've been there, it feels stupid. I hate small talk. Eventually if these guys break up the stroke circle, I'll move around, see if what guys are thinking, maybe talk shop but right now the Quarterbacks are coming on the field and I have to watch this closely.

Those are the guys who throw the ball right?

Yes, and by the way. Sorry if you aren't having fun. I never said this would be. Plus why you wanna talk to an old man for?

You remind me of my dad and I love my dad so take it as a compliment...(She looks around) Oh wow, who is that hot guy right there

Be specific, I don't identify any of these guys as "HOT GUY" POINT!

(She points to J.D. Corrales)

Oh him, He's supposedly the top Qb in the draft. Kids got an arm. Did great in college. But, he's most likely to go as one of the top 5 guys. I am here looking at guys who might fall under the radar. I have five currently on my sheet and I need to pay attention too. Look across the field, you see the other GM's are gathering to watch J.D throw. That's great, but nearly all of them don't have a shot at him. So while they fawn over him. I'm watching those three guys over there warming up. Now do me a favor, get your phone, go to stop watch, I want you to time how fast their passes travel and mark down how far it went.

Got it,.....you think J.D has a girlfriend

You are welcomed to go ask him after he's done. Right now I need you to focus. Thanks.

(She rolls her eyes and pulls out her phone and instead of tapping her clock she opens up Instagram. Lucas notices and takes a deep breath and gets a bit closer to the field)

GM Bennett

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2020, 09:27:11 PM »
NODS AS PANCHO LEAVES THEN LOOKS UP AND OVER TO GM EVANS. WALKS UP THE BLEACHERS A BIT AND HOLDS OUT HIS HAND TO SHAKE

GM Evans, pleasure to finally meet you. I hear way back when you used to be the man behind Music City. Nice to have you back in the HIFL.

HIFL S12 EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -13
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2020, 09:54:36 PM »
(After about ten minutes Lucas walks over to Ms Cortes and see's her still on Instagram)

Holy backflipping baby jesus, what are you doing. Have you jotted down anything I ask you to do

NOPE!

Mind telling me why?

(She likes a few more pictures then closes the app and looks at him with a stern look) Because my job description was data entry not football speed watcher. You take the speed of the balls and when you are done, give them to me and I'll enter the data. (In a calm voice) Now, I'm going to go grab my own food right now. I haven't taken a lunch break. I'll be back in half hour. And another thing, if you are still giving me that recommendation and I hope to work in this league, I will be associated with you. These potential employers will say "Oh, you're the girl with Mr. I'm too good to come over and have some BBQ and shake a few hands" "I will be that girl who worked for GM Lucas, hell, half of them probably thinks I'm some college girl looking for a suga daddy .......Look Mr. Lucas, I apologize if I am stepping out of line but I am a go getter. I want to learn. I want to be in the know. I thought this would be such a great experience. I wanted to help, I could help but please help me. I have learned was that T means tackle, but the guy you call tackle doesn't tackle anyone. I learned that though C mean catcher in baseball it means center here and i also learned that questions annoy you.Please, help me, let me learn, give me more to do

I mean, you have only been here a few hours. And I have given you more to do, I asked you to take down the speed of of the balls and.....I mean, I asked you

(Ms Cortes, drops her arms by her side as if she has given up. A sad look comes over her face as she looks at her phone and notices the time)

Stop, Mr. Lucas, I'm telling you I need to just go eat and get some air.

ok...Can you bring me back something?

(She looks at him as id she's holding back. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She then turns and begins to walk towards the food.)

DATA ENTRY!

(GM Lucas sits at the Laptop and starts to check the information to make sure it's entered correctly.)

GM Evans

• Mafioso
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 16
  • General Manager of the Lincoln Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2020, 11:38:44 PM »
NODS AS PANCHO LEAVES THEN LOOKS UP AND OVER TO GM EVANS. WALKS UP THE BLEACHERS A BIT AND HOLDS OUT HIS HAND TO SHAKE

GM Evans, pleasure to finally meet you. I hear way back when you used to be the man behind Music City. Nice to have you back in the HIFL.

GM Evans shakes Bennett’s hand.

“You as well. Temporarily, yes. Unfortunately that was at a point in my other career where I probably shouldn’t have tried to step back into the General Manager position. I did manage to lock down that deal with MTV though, so at least some good came from my embarrassing tenure.”

GM Bennett

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2020, 01:59:18 AM »
GM Evans shakes Bennett’s hand.

“You as well. Temporarily, yes. Unfortunately that was at a point in my other career where I probably shouldn’t have tried to step back into the General Manager position. I did manage to lock down that deal with MTV though, so at least some good came from my embarrassing tenure.”

Ah that was you! I figured that was GM Reb, but shiiitt....Thank you, haha. That really helped us out before well...The spoils of the sponorships got taken away from us. How you liking Lincoln so far? Was shocked to see GM Adam leave there and even more surprised to see you come back and take up the position.

HIFL S12 EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR

GM Rinaldi

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2020, 11:35:21 AM »
Rinaldi's phone vibrates, leading to him setting down the binoculars and checking the text that came through. The New Jersey deal had gone through. Then, due to that going through, so had the Michigan deal. He smiled as he put the binoculars back over his eyes, happy to have made a deal that landed him two cornerbacks and more picks. Dante was also rather happy nobody had paid any attention to him and not one person had even bothered to speak to him. He preferred it that way. Out of sight and out of mind.

The only conversation he would hold with any of these men (or THE BIG DOG) would be one that was strictly business. He wasn't here to make any friends.

Rinaldi was here to make Pearl Harbor a household name in the HIFL and he would either succeed or fall flat on his face when it came to that.

GM Justin

• Supreme Basketball Alliance sim Moderator
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 21
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2020, 06:46:43 PM »
Justin enters. Sees the foolery. Justin exits.

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -13
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2020, 07:43:22 PM »

(Mr. Cortes makes her way towards the food and see's a GM near the food)

Excuse me, I believe, GM..Gooch? At least that is what Mr. Lucas told me. I was wondering, I know I'm not a part of the league and all, I'm just a temp for the day. But I am starving. Can i grab some food or is this just a football spread?

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 80
  • Never wanted the fame, I only wanted to be great
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2020, 08:48:54 PM »

(Mr. Cortes makes her way towards the food and see's a GM near the food)

Excuse me, I believe, GM..Gooch? At least that is what Mr. Lucas told me. I was wondering, I know I'm not a part of the league and all, I'm just a temp for the day. But I am starving. Can i grab some food or is this just a football spread?

Feel free to join in. My name is Buckson Gooch. I'm the GM over in Long Beach. I have chicken over here and brisket is on the back corner.

GOOCH HANDS HER A PLATE

I saw you here with GM Lucas. Are you liking Vancouver?
GM Kirk [12|Mar 04:19 PM]: Gooch, how much did you bribe the HIFLPA to help you steal all my players?
GM TJ [12|Mar 04:21 PM]: Lolololololololooooooooooollllllllllll
Disgraced GM Powers [12|Mar 04:24 PM]: The league is #TeamGooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: It's because he's so nice....
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: Unnaturally nice...
GM Adam Wrong [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: I love gooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:26 PM]: Everyone loves Gooch, except Kirk...
GM Phoenix [12|Mar 04:28 PM]: Almost makes you think gooch is reincarnate red skull trying to live a double nice guy life on hifl
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:31 PM]: Gooch's heel turn will rival Hogan....

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -13
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2020, 09:23:21 PM »

Well, thank you for the plate Mr Gooch. um, Do I like Vancouver?...hmm, haven't been. (She smiles) I didn't travel with him. I'm from here. I went away to Florida State because I wasn't gonna go to some college here and have my parents around me all day every day. I just graduated this past summer and I moved back with my parents until I can find a job. I went through the temp service and Mr. Lucas hired me because I guess, his secretary wanna to skip this part. (She grabs a napkin, then takes a small bite of brisket) Oh my god, this is delicious. I can see why everyone is over here. Lucas doesn't know what he's missing.

(After a few bites)

Mr. Gooch, Mr Lucas talks highly of you but at the same time seems very, anti social. I've been trying to have a conversation with him and he feels less like a boss and more like a big brother who doesn't really want me around unless I can do something for him. I feel bad. I kind of spoke to him a certain way. I think I might have messed up my opportunity to land a recommendation. He tells e we have like another four hours here and I'm not sure I can sit quietly near him for four hours. I feel little bad, he seems like he just wants to focus on the players and has no interest in helping me understand what exactly is going on. Any advice on how I could approach him

GM Gooch

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 80
  • Never wanted the fame, I only wanted to be great
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2020, 10:43:19 PM »

Well, thank you for the plate Mr Gooch. um, Do I like Vancouver?...hmm, haven't been. (She smiles) I didn't travel with him. I'm from here. I went away to Florida State because I wasn't gonna go to some college here and have my parents around me all day every day. I just graduated this past summer and I moved back with my parents until I can find a job. I went through the temp service and Mr. Lucas hired me because I guess, his secretary wanna to skip this part. (She grabs a napkin, then takes a small bite of brisket) Oh my god, this is delicious. I can see why everyone is over here. Lucas doesn't know what he's missing.

(After a few bites)

Mr. Gooch, Mr Lucas talks highly of you but at the same time seems very, anti social. I've been trying to have a conversation with him and he feels less like a boss and more like a big brother who doesn't really want me around unless I can do something for him. I feel bad. I kind of spoke to him a certain way. I think I might have messed up my opportunity to land a recommendation. He tells e we have like another four hours here and I'm not sure I can sit quietly near him for four hours. I feel little bad, he seems like he just wants to focus on the players and has no interest in helping me understand what exactly is going on. Any advice on how I could approach him

Oh sorry, I saw y'all come in together, I figured you were part of his staff.

Lucas is a good guy. He's a fair trade partner. That's important here. I believe he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders. He made some financial mistakes that were really his undoing im Atlanta, so I know he is trying to do everything in his power to get things right this time.

GOOCH PICKS HIS NEXT WORDS WISELY

I believe he may seem anti-social because most of the other GMs have been pretty rude to him via social media and in person. I believe he has a gigantic chip on his shoulder and wants to prove the naysayers wrong. I like Lucas. He really tries hard. Sometimes he overthinks things and can get in a bind. Quite a few of us have been guilty of that, so he's not alone.

GOOCH LOOKS AROUND THE COMBINE

Lucas is very fair. I don't think you need to sweat your letter of recommendation. You are here, you've helped. He sees this draft as one that can lead his time in the right direction for seasons to come. He's just an intense guy. The workout videos he puts on Twitter. Just conversations on the phone. He has developed a "me against the world" attitude so he wants to be the best and prove the world wrong. It's all between his ears. He isn't really a small talk guy because small talk won't lead him to greatness (in his mind). My suggestion would be find something about a player that isn't necessarily tangible. Jot down a note if you see a guy exhibiting leadership traits or on the flip side talking about he won't have to work hard after he has signed. Giving Lucas a leg up will put you in a good spot with him. I imagine he would actively help land you a job using his contacts if he believes in you, and that is way better than a recommendation.

GOOCH THINKS

These last 4 hours of this combine could help change the course of your life. Be careful out here though. It's a crazy place.
GM Kirk [12|Mar 04:19 PM]: Gooch, how much did you bribe the HIFLPA to help you steal all my players?
GM TJ [12|Mar 04:21 PM]: Lolololololololooooooooooollllllllllll
Disgraced GM Powers [12|Mar 04:24 PM]: The league is #TeamGooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: It's because he's so nice....
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: Unnaturally nice...
GM Adam Wrong [12|Mar 04:25 PM]: I love gooch
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:26 PM]: Everyone loves Gooch, except Kirk...
GM Phoenix [12|Mar 04:28 PM]: Almost makes you think gooch is reincarnate red skull trying to live a double nice guy life on hifl
GM Gravedigger [12|Mar 04:31 PM]: Gooch's heel turn will rival Hogan....

GM Lucas

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -13
  • Winning starts Now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2020, 11:40:30 PM »

I can see why he likes you so much.Thank you for that, I wouldn't have guessed it. He was so excited and seemed like he was a kid going to a carnival on our drive here. All he kept saying was "It feels like I haven't been to the combine in years". I'm gonna grab an extra plate. i know he was hungry and had asked for food before I stormed away. Thank you Mr. Gooch. I feel a tons better, I'm gonna go help him out.

GM Kirk

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2020, 12:49:26 AM »
While some GMs use the combine for therapy, GM Kirk looks over the notes his coaches send him and indicates further groups of players he'd like information on.

Some great players this year. I need five or six 1st rounders.

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner -- PBL S6 Premier Cup Winner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
  • S6 Premier Cup Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 29, 2020, 11:39:26 PM »
ALL TEAMS MAY NOW SPEND AND SEND MORE SCOUTING..

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
  • All books are children's books if the kid can read
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2020, 12:07:02 AM »
GM POWERS LOOKS AROUND

So.....who has an extra $750K laying around so I can scout another position?

GM Justin

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 21
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2020, 12:10:21 AM »
GM POWERS LOOKS AROUND

So.....who has an extra $750K laying around so I can scout another position?

I do

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2020, 12:36:31 AM »
GM POWERS TURNS TO GM JUSTIN

Hey, that's awesome news, I appreciate it. I owe ya one buddy!

Talon

• High Impact Football League Commissioner -- PBL S6 Premier Cup Winner
  • Administrator
  • The 30,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 50089
  • S6 Premier Cup Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2020, 02:49:09 PM »
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT SCOUTING AND SPEND YOUR OFF-SEASON BUDGET MONEY ON SCOUTING IS TUESDAY AT 9 PM EASTERN TIME

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »
THINGS TURN AWKWARD QUICKLY AS GM'S JUSTIN AND POWERS STAND THERE SILENTLY

Sooo....about that $750K......I can take a check, or venmo, or whatever is convenient for you....

GM Adam Wrong

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »
GM Wrong leans in with a mouth full of chicken

I have 300k roughly ... It'll cost you a 7th rounder...

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2020, 06:01:10 PM »
Had arrived late to the combine but seems happy with what he's seen before leaving the combine early. No risk of GM Dazz speaking to any draft prospects this time.
GM Powers Today at 8:11 PM
"You suck.  Stop sucking, or you'll suck back home in your Lay Z Boy.  Now get the fuck outta here."

--Dazz

GM Justin

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 21
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2020, 07:29:05 PM »
THINGS TURN AWKWARD QUICKLY AS GM'S JUSTIN AND POWERS STAND THERE SILENTLY

Sooo....about that $750K......I can take a check, or venmo, or whatever is convenient for you....

I'll take a 6th round pick

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2020, 09:35:54 PM »
Unfortunately my dear Justin, I don't have a pick in either the 5th or 6th rounds.  I could offer you my 7th rounder, if that'll be acceptable?

GM Kirk

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2020, 09:42:29 PM »
I'll give you the cash for a 1st.

GM Powers

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 9013
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2020, 09:45:29 PM »
GM POWERS SMILES AND TURNS TOWARDS HIS RIVAL

Ahh, if it isn't GM Kirk!  How wonderful it is to see you my old friend!  Bring it in!

GM POWERS OPENS HIS ARMS WIDE FOR A HUG

GM Kirk

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2020, 10:04:48 PM »
LOOKS AT THE OFFERED HUG WITH DISGUST

I'm British. I don't even hug my mother. Unless that's how you seal a deal, in which case bring it in and I'll start planning who to take with that 1st round pick.

GM Justin

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 21
  • Batter up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2020, 07:08:59 AM »
Unfortunately my dear Justin, I don't have a pick in either the 5th or 6th rounds.  I could offer you my 7th rounder, if that'll be acceptable?

Deal

Dougie

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • GM Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »
I've got money! Who wants it? Or who wants to give me theirs? Come see me!