Author Topic: SEASON 14 GM REPRESNTATIVE VOTE  (Read 2023 times)

THE BIG DOG

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 10
    • View Profile
Re: SEASON 14 GM REPRESNTATIVE VOTE
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »
Thanks to Franchise and Tritch for he shout outs but I don't have the energy right now to commit to being GM rep at the moment. I don't think I would've gotten the votes anyways, but at this time I'm not interested.

GM Franchise

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 19
  • #BEECAGE
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2020, 10:47:18 PM »
Okay so Pancho or Adam for me whoever has the majority Iím cool with.

GM Jon

• IMPACT BOWL VI AND VII CHAMPION!
  • Prediction Admin / PBL Moderator
  • The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1351
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2020, 03:56:14 PM »
Really late to the show here... was going to pitch myself, but I fear that most everyone has either their mind made-up or vote already submitted. So I'd rather not have my words fall on deaf ears.

I will say I will be supporting GM Gates for GM Rep once again. I think despite numerous people questioning his actions as the GM Rep, he has done an admirable job and is deserving of at least another season to represent us GM's.

I think other GM's that have been talked about as well would be fine representatives, but I don't see how they'd be more deserving or a better choice than Gates.

It seems like the big knock on Gates was the timing of the decision making during the hostage situation and he has since stated why it took so long and that it was out of his hands.

So at this time, I don't feel like a new face as the GM Rep is really needed.

Like my grandaddy told me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GM Dario

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
  • This is the Way
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2020, 06:07:24 PM »
I've been watchin' from the cheap seats at all the saber-rattlin' goin' on and I'm not a big politician and probably the worst negotiator in the league, but in most instances I've heard or read about, it's extremely rare to change a rep yearly just for the sake of tryin' to squeeze another magic bean out of nowhere. Most reps are hired for a period of time because it takes time to build and grow relationships to the benefits of all parties, not just one. If there was some major disconnect with the GM's and Owners, or the GM's and the players, and the GM Rep was the issue, I could see changin' the rep.  But there hasn't been because frankly, there's not been enough time to build any relationships. 

Gates deserves that time to grow the relationship, or to let implode it so badly that he needs to be replaced.  But I think Jon's Grandaddy and my Pappaw must have talked at some point in their lives. "Why fix a perfectly good item just for the sake of fixin' it?"

And I'd honestly think about havin' a rep signed up for a minimum of 3 years, unless like a 75% vote in No Confidence in the rep comes up durin' the offseason. That'll give the rep a chance to do their job to the fullest extent, instead of just wingin' it for a year and seein' what happens.

Gates was my rep for s13. Gates has my vote to be my rep for s14, and Gates should be my rep in S15 as well.

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2020, 06:30:53 PM »
Why have great when you can settle for OK?
GM Powers Today at 8:11 PM
"You suck.  Stop sucking, or you'll suck back home in your Lay Z Boy.  Now get the fuck outta here."

--Dazz

GM Gates

• Impact Bowl 8 & 9 Champion
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 23
  • 2x Impact Bowl Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2020, 06:36:44 PM »
Why have great when you can settle for OK?

So Iím only an OK Rep because I didnít act fast enough in situations I couldnít act fast enough in?

GM Dazz

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2020, 06:49:24 PM »
Everyone's argument currently seems to be that we should keep you as rep because you didn't fuck it up. Hardly ringing endorsements are they? I've already put forward my issues with your time though. It's not just the handling of the hostage situation, although the lack of communication was the bigger problem there and that absolutely was under your control. Plus telling people you wouldn't hire Bowser only to go and do that wasn't exactly a great move either. No, my issue is still in the way you sold out the established teams to benefit your own expansion team.
Plus we didn't get a whole lot that was particularly great last time but a more assertive rep may have done better. They might not but why not push for more?
GM Powers Today at 8:11 PM
"You suck.  Stop sucking, or you'll suck back home in your Lay Z Boy.  Now get the fuck outta here."

--Dazz

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
To be fair, when it came to Bowser I said to people I was going to try and avoid it, since last time we hired him coaches got mind controlled by the North Koreans. It turned out Bowser was my only play.

Talon and I spoke at the beginning of that week when it was revealed Iíd have to make a decision. At that time I was told I had to wait for all GMs to post in their threads and be given the option to donate or not and then I would be given options.

So just so everyone is clear, Talon was going to give me options that I could choose from. I asked if I could go with something if it wasnít one of the options and was told no, I would have to choose from the provided options.

The options were:

1) Hire Bowser
2) Do Nothing
3) put more money behind GM Dazzs idea which was ďpointlessĒ, quoted.

You wanted updates? On what? ďHey guys, we got more money!Ē Or ďhey guys I canít do anything until Talon gives me optionsĒ. I mean I said the latter to Metro and others, and Metro still called me in his thread.

I sold out the established teams? To gain us stuff we can use? I mean, it would have been a fun season with no one being able to trade players with Bonus money or bonus money at all. But as has been noted, it wasnít an ideal situation but it was also the time we had stuff to give up. Iíve said it here many times, what are people willing to give up to get things done? Not many options have been mentioned. So if we went with the nothing option last off season, since I couldnít get anything without losing protections, what would people give up to get similar things now?

I asked last off season for thoughts and a bunch of people reached out to me. No one said what they would give up then either. So I worked with what people gave me.

So while established teams lost more, everyone gained from it even those established teams.

Was I perfect? No. I never claimed to be. Iím just saying that everyone has a view of what the rep can do through rose coloured glasses. Itís not a ďdo whatever you wantĒ role. There are limitations to what we as a GM collective can actually do.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2020, 07:12:38 PM »
Also the things brought up as items people want to see would be brought up in the meeting if Iím the rep. Iím not going to ignore peoples opinions and ideas.

GM Dario

• The 500 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli -2
  • This is the Way
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »

This isn't a risk / reward scenario, Dazz. It's about keepin' things reasonable, not volatile.

When you're headin' to the store to get an item, and ya drive down the road at 100 MPH, you may get there faster, but you could get stopped by the cops and miss out on the item cause now the store's closed, and ya gotta ticket to pay later on.
Drive down the road at 20 MPH and you'll never gonna get there in time before the store's closed up.
Drive at 55 MPH, and you get the item and the ability to use it back at home safe and sound.

I'll take a Rep who drives 55 instead of 100 or 20.

GM Eli

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2020, 07:24:32 PM »

This isn't a risk / reward scenario, Dazz. It's about keepin' things reasonable, not volatile.

When you're headin' to the store to get an item, and ya drive down the road at 100 MPH, you may get there faster, but you could get stopped by the cops and miss out on the item cause now the store's closed, and ya gotta ticket to pay later on.
Drive down the road at 20 MPH and you'll never gonna get there in time before the store's closed up.
Drive at 55 MPH, and you get the item and the ability to use it back at home safe and sound.

I'll take a Rep who drives 55 instead of 100 or 20.

If you arenít first youíre last.

GM Rinaldi

• Rookie
  • Beef / Broccoli 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
SHAKE AND BAKE

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1351
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2020, 07:39:20 PM »
The fact that GM's came to you to NOT use Bowser and you not only didn't out them publicly is pretty honorable on your behalf Gates. I can speak on to my discussions with Gates that he was very honest and trustworthy with his communication with me. The only reason I didn't put into the hostage relief fund is because due to others asking for no Bowser usage, he couldn't guarantee the use of Jack Bowser, which was my request.

Somehow, I'm not sure why, but Jack Bowser was remembered by quite a few people as being the reason death happened during Vacation Island fiasco, when in fact he saved just about everybody.

But I digress.

I'm not sticking with Gates because he did "ok". I'm sticking with him because I don't feel he did anything badly and couple that with his experience in the role now and knowing the expectations and limitations of the job, it makes by far the most sense.

What does a "great" job as a GM mean to you, Dazz? And you'd have to please remind me who you're voting for and why you think that person is going to do a "great" job.

GM Kirk

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 7986
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2020, 09:03:33 PM »
I would do a great job, but nobody would vote for me because I'm not nice to people. As if nice is what you need in a hostile environment like the meeting we're sending a rep to.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1351
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:32 PM »
I would do a great job, but nobody would vote for me because I'm not nice to people. As if nice is what you need in a hostile environment like the meeting we're sending a rep to.

What would you have done differently then what Gates did during his tenure?

But I agree, people vote too much on OOC feelings rather than using in-character logical thinking. However, in your case... the reason you wouldn't have my vote is for your ordeal with the XFC (even though OOC you did it to make room for Doug). I can't say you shouldn't use negative OOC stuff, but use positive OOC stuff.

GM Jon

• The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 1351
  • Quiffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »
In fact that question goes to Adam and Pancho (are they the two people that are getting opposing votes to another Gates tenure?) as well.

What would you have done different than what GM Gates did in S13 as GM Rep?

GM Kirk

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 7986
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2020, 09:14:57 PM »
I would have taken scout reports away from expansion teams in proportion to the number of protections teams lost and I would have been up-front about my plans to use Bowser right from the start of the hostage crisis. I'd also have negotiated harder rather than act like we owed everyone something. Gates did fine and gets my vote, but I wish he would push back a little harder or be creative with counter offers.

GM Kirk

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 7986
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2020, 09:18:51 PM »
I've brought a number of innovations to the league and expanded on other people's ideas. Assistant coaches were thanks to me. In-season mini camps, also. The foreign camps weren't my idea, but I was the first to make one successful. Lots of my ideas on scouting have been added to the combine. I get things added to the league without being a rep, so imagine what I'd do with an official platform.

GM Gates

• The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2020, 09:22:55 PM »
I feel like people are reading selectively by this point, or just donít believe me...I was creative in trying to get things without losing protections. Maybe the scout report idea would have been better, I didnít even think of that, but it was literally a case of you want something? You lose these protections. You want protections? You get nothing. There was no middle ground.

GM Pancho

• IMPACT BOWL V, X, & XIII CHAMPION!
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 33333
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2020, 09:44:18 PM »
In fact that question goes to Adam and Pancho (are they the two people that are getting opposing votes to another Gates tenure?) as well.

What would you have done different than what GM Gates did in S13 as GM Rep?

- Salary Cap Increase of $5MM - I have been against salary cap increases.  All they do is burn a hole in most people's pockets and a continued increase of the cap just helps player salaries balloon like crazy.  You want player contracts to plateu? You stop increasing the cap.

- GM's will have the ability to trade bonus pool funds once again. - Great Move

- Owners will once again have the option to offer contracts to a GM to provide more job security and all teams will offer a minimum of a 1 year, $2MM contract to that GM. - Great Move

- GM salary is only usable in the off-season and can not be used for regular-season expenditures. GM's may use the money for scouting, recruiting (UFA trips), PR, Luxury Tax bills, or to pay off incentive bonuses (if the bonus comes from the bonus pool budget). - Helps prevent competitive imbalance and being spent on players creating an equal footing while rewarding those GM's that are successful.  Also allows for markets with teams to play a role in the sim.

- The 4th year option on first round draft picks will no longer be worth an average of the top 15 highest paid players at a players position.  Instead the 4th year option will now be a flat $4MM increase to the players contract, which can be split between salary and bonus money. - GREAT MOVE

- Players who are protected by teams to avoid the expansion draft will not be traded without player consent prior to the final week before the trade deadline (the week of the trade deadline lock in)  This is a "gentlemen's agreement" between GMs and Players Union, and not a "guaranteed contract"  players may also still request a trade if unhappy with their situation. - GAVE UP CONTROL

- The GM's have agreed to reduce the number of protections from 25 base protections down to 17, to allow more players the opportunity at a fresh start in the expansion draft. (will be updated in the expansion draft template thread) - BENEFITTED LESS TEAMS THAT HE WAS SUPPOSED TO REP

- The league has announced a plan to revamp the scouting combine to better suit a wider array of GM's needs.

- Teams will not have to protect their coaches, as they are now no longer eligible to be stolen in the expansion draft.

The return of GM contract was something the entire league benefited.  But the expansion teams didn't pay the cost.  We established teams did.  Gates says if they wanted anything they wanted less protections but didn't establish draft rules about limits you could take from a single team like we did in expansion drafts before.  He could have asked for the expansion draft to have less rounds.

It's easy to see he didn't come up with those ideas because they didn't benefit him.  So was he hamstrung by negotiations from Talon on that side? Probably.  But he also refused to look at it from a perspective other than his own and that's probably the biggest key a rep needs to have.

GM Metroll

• EAT, SLEEP, TRAPE, REPEAT
  • The 1,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 787
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2020, 04:53:27 PM »
It's easy to see he didn't come up with those ideas because they didn't benefit him.  So was he hamstrung by negotiations from Talon on that side? Probably.  But he also refused to look at it from a perspective other than his own and that's probably the biggest key a rep needs to have.

This - so again VOTE PANCHO

GM Gravedigger

• Season 11 HIFL Champion
  • The 5,000 Post Club
  • Beef / Broccoli 222
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »
Itís over...

x1 CRW Anarchy Champion
x2 CRW Tag Team Champion
x1 CRW Prime Time Champion